Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Warhorses as of 2015
Posted by: donvis ()
Date: July 23, 2015 04:01

In the past (1989 or so) Mick has said that there are about 10 songs(The Warhorses) that they have to play at every show. In actual fact I think that number has increased based on the set lists since 2012.

Warhorses in my opinion
Satisfaction
Jumpin'Jack Flash
Sympathy For The Devil
Honky Tonk Women
Gimme Shelter
Midnight Rambler
You Can't Always Get What You Want
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
Happy
It's Only Rock 'N Roll
Miss You
Start Me Up

Tracks that should be New Warhorses in my opinion,
Street Fighting Man
Angie
Paint It, Black
Star Star (a standard from 1973 to 1981?)
Moonlight Mile (outstanding on the Zip Code Tour)

Warhorses that have outlived their usefulness
Tumbling Dice
Miss You

Any thoughts?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 04:02 by donvis.

Re: Warhorses as of 2015
Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 23, 2015 04:09

Add Respectable and drop Satisfaction! Good observation.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 23, 2015 04:18

You've pretty much summed it up. There are no required tunes that always need to be played despite Mister Jagger's opinion. The Stones should take a hint from Dylan and do the songs they want to play. After all, they are The Rolling Stones.

As for me, if I never heard SMU, MY, SFTD, JJF, HTW, Satisfaction (a laugh considering how wealthy the Stones are), GS (the menace is long gone), some others in a Stones show, I'd be happy (no pun intended). There's too many other great Stones songs to be played to keep doing the same booshey over and over.

If you guys (yeah, I'm addressing this to the Stones) tour again, spare us the same old singer and the same old songs where you"ve been going for much too long. Play maybe three of the hits and all the rest deep catalog cuts in small venues or arenas. Us diehard fans would cream in our jeans for such a show.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 04:20 by dmay.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 23, 2015 04:34

'Street Fighting Man' should definitely be played more often.

Never cared that much for 'Angie', although I suppose it offers something from the under-represented Goats Head Soup.

Those that have outlived their usefulness?

I agree with 'You Can't Always Get What You Want'; leave the french horn at home or at the very least out of the encore.

The prominence of 'Miss You' as a live number has, I believe, been mentioned once or twice before... The resolution is simple: replace it with 'Dance (Pt. 1)'. This would offer the same disco flavour without the staleness and predictability.

'Tumbling Dice' deserves to stay.

Olly.

Date: July 23, 2015 04:52

I would keep Jumpin' Jack Flash, Midnight Rambler, Happy, and It's Only Rock 'N Roll. Mixed feelings on Start Me Up.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 23, 2015 04:56

Can't really add much to your list, looks about right to me. Definitely like the Moonlight Mile idea and would add SMU to the outlived the usefulness list.

But..to be perfectly honest I think they shouldn't have more than 5 or 6 warhorses maximum and fill the set up with some of the many, many other great tunes in their catalog. . It's not like they don't have a bunch to choose from. I would even be delighted if those 5 or 6 warhorses were switched around a bit.

I know it's pretty late in the game to be asking these guys to play varied set lists but I truly believe that could be their next big gimmick. Taylor last tour, Sticky Fingers this tour (kind of), and 50 years of songs for the next tour. Imagine how great a show would be if they started with Brian era tunes, filled the middle with Taylor era songs and ended the show with Ronnie era songs...all rarely played stuff that would delight us hardcore fans who have seen the warhorses so many times. Awesome. Hell just doing that for a couple smaller venue shows would be delightful.

btw: This is not a set list complaint just a friendly suggestion (dream) and I have no expectations they will do anything different from the last 3 years from here on out.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: July 23, 2015 05:19

SFM most defiantly. SS would be fun. I have suggested trading within an era, Last Time for Satisfaction........ SFM for YCAGWYW......SSC for SMU........ME or FTS for YGMR.......RJ instead of ANYTHING after it.

Sadly, as much as this pains me, MY has to stay and I get it. I NEVER check out the latest MY on youtube, but when I'm at the show, it's a groover, every time.

Date: July 23, 2015 05:29

I would also like to see 1 or 2 Chuck Berry covers like in 1969 and 1978.

Date: July 23, 2015 07:06

That would be hot.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:11

Chuck Berry cover should definitely be considered warhorse status. There is a direct correlation to whether a Chuck Berry tune is on the setlist and the quality of the tour.

if you search setlist.fm it will tell you the most played songs.

according to it, they are:

1 Jumpin' Jack Flash
2 Brown Sugar
3 Honky Tonk Women
4 Tumbling Dice
5 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
6 Start Me Up
7 It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Sympathy for the Devil
9 You Can't Always Get What You Want
10 Miss You
11 Midnight Rambler
12 Gimme Shelter
13 Street Fighting Man
14 Happy

Posted by: josepi ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:20

I am confused as to why the following became war horses...

Gimme Shelter
Sympathy For the Devil
Midnight Rambler
It's Only Rock and Roll
Tumbling Dice

The first four were not singles (flip sides don't count), and the last two did not make the top five (in the USA, anyway). When we bought their albums we didn't repeatedly spin those 5. It's my guess that they became war horses only because the band insists on playing them at (almost) every show.

What pisses me off is songs that charted around the same or maybe even better are never played, most notably Have You Seen Your Mother, 19th NB, Not Fade Away. Heck, even We Love You charted better than IORR in the UK.

I still love this band, and enjoyed the Zip Code tour immensely. But for crying out loud there was not even one song in their catalog that made its debut on this tour. That with hundreds to choose from. It makes my head spin sometimes.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:24

Sympathy shouldn't be played every night, and in fact I feel could be dropped permanently. Its a miss way more times than its a hit and I think people would live. Its one of my favorite songs by them and its failed to make an impact either time I've seen them. Completely forgettable. Also its unnecessarily long and just eats up time.

Miss You could very well be not played every night. Yeah, people know it, but they could easily get away with it coming out every third show or so. I've long wanted it to stop being played every show since it was released.

Tumbling Dice I think is fairly boring live. I've never understood why it has to be played every night. I don't hate it, but I don't think it has to be an every nighter. Same with Its Only Rock And Roll IMO, but I know full well its not going anywhere

Otherwise, the other warhorses you listed kind of do have to be played every night. Or at least they are the hits that people want and will wonder why they aren't there. For what its worth, the first show I saw they didn't do Gimme Shelter, YCAGWYW or Happy, so it proves they could all take an off night. But I wouldn't fault them if they kept them in every show from now on. I also agree with the first three New Warhorses you have. I'd love to see the last time as every nighters, but thats kind of a pipe dream.

Other songs I didn't see you mention were Lets Spend The Night Together, All Down The Line and Wild Horses, which I could see being New Warhorses. I think an argument could be made they are big enough that they could be every nighters, or at least rotated in for stuff like Miss You, Tumbling Dice, and Sympathy and people would be fine.

As for songs I WISH they'd play, that one could go on for days. But these are the only real "warhorses" I see. Ones that a case could be made they should be played every night, or more often in terms of the new Warhorses. I've already made the case that pretty much anything could be dropped and people would survive. In fact it would maybe make them even, GASP, come back a second time!

Date: July 23, 2015 07:31

RollingFreak
Sympathy shouldn't be played every night, and in fact I feel could be dropped permanently. Its a miss way more times than its a hit and I think people would live. Its one of my favorite songs by them and its failed to make an impact either time I've seen them. Completely forgettable. Also its unnecessarily long and just eats up time.

Miss You could very well be not played every night. Yeah, people know it, but they could easily get away with it coming out every third show or so. I've long wanted it to stop being played every show since it was released.

Tumbling Dice I think is fairly boring live. I've never understood why it has to be played every night. I don't hate it, but I don't think it has to be an every nighter. Same with Its Only Rock And Roll IMO, but I know full well its not going anywhere

Otherwise, the other warhorses you listed kind of do have to be played every night. Or at least they are the hits that people want and will wonder why they aren't there. For what its worth, the first show I saw they didn't do Gimme Shelter, YCAGWYW or Happy, so it proves they could all take an off night. But I wouldn't fault them if they kept them in every show from now on. I also agree with the first three New Warhorses you have. I'd love to see the last time as every nighters, but thats kind of a pipe

Other songs I didn't see you mention were Lets Spend The Night Together, All Down The Line and Wild Horses, which I could see being New Warhorses. I think an argument could be made they are big enough that they could be every nighters, or at least rotated in for stuff like Miss You, Tumbling Dice, and Sympathy and people would be fine.

As for songs I WISH they'd play, that one could go on for days. But these are the only real "warhorses" I see. Ones that a case could be made they should be played every night, or more often in terms of the new Warhorses. I've already made the case that pretty much anything could be dropped and people would survive. In fact it would maybe make them even, GASP, come back a second time!
I did not consider any songs that were rotated as warhorses . That excluded let's spend the night together and all down the line.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 07:41 by donvis.

Date: July 23, 2015 07:37

josepi
I am confused as to why the following became war horses...

Gimme Shelter
Sympathy For the Devil
Midnight Rambler
It's Only Rock and Roll
Tumbling Dice

The first four were not singles (flip sides don't count), and the last two did not make the top five (in the USA, anyway). When we bought their albums we didn't repeatedly spin those 5. It's my guess that they became war horses only because the band insists on playing them at (almost) every show.

What pisses me off is songs that charted around the same or maybe even better are never played, most notably Have You Seen Your Mother, 19th NB, Not Fade Away. Heck, even We Love You charted better than IORR in the UK.

I still love this band, and enjoyed the Zip Code tour immensely. But for crying out loud there was not even one song in their catalog that made its debut on this tour. That with hundreds to choose from. It makes my head spin sometimes.
Those tracks though are all on Hot Rocks or Made In The Shade which as of 1975 together formed 3 LPs of the Stones' greatest hits.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 23, 2015 07:40

Warhorses - songs played live a lot
(I Can't Get No) Satisfaction - toss; boring
Paint It Black - toss
Jumpin' Jack Flash - toss; they haven't played it live worth a shit for eons
Sympathy For The Devil - toss; horrible
Street Fighting Man - keep
Midnight Rambler - keep
Gimme Shelter - toss
You Can't Always Get What You Want - toss
Honky Tonk Women - toss
Brown Sugar - keep
Tumbling Dice - keep
Happy - keep
Angie - toss
It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It) - toss; horrible
Miss You - toss; replace with Emotional Rescue
Respectable - toss
Before They Make Me Run - toss
Start Me Up - toss
You Got Me Rocking - toss; this song sucks yet they play it every tour

Date: July 23, 2015 08:05

Turner68
Chuck Berry cover should definitely be considered warhorse status. There is a direct correlation to whether a Chuck Berry tune is on the setlist and the quality of the tour.

if you search setlist.fm it will tell you the most played songs.

according to it, they are:

1 Jumpin' Jack Flash
2 Brown Sugar
3 Honky Tonk Women
4 Tumbling Dice
5 (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction
6 Start Me Up
7 It's Only Rock 'n' Roll (But I Like It)
Sympathy for the Devil
9 You Can't Always Get What You Want
10 Miss You
11 Midnight Rambler
12 Gimme Shelter
13 Street Fighting Man
14 Happy

Interesting, but I'm crying BS.......

First, NO WAY have they played SMU over 100 more times than MY. Aside from a few special events(Superbowl) MY has been played every night every tour since 78'- correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, JJF almost 250 more times than Satisfaction. Satisfaction hasn't been featured on every tour, but they played the hell out of it from 65'-68'.....for sure. I need citations and a second credible source Sirs.....

Date: July 23, 2015 08:26

Miss You was not played on the No Security Tour in 1999.

Date: July 23, 2015 09:13

So that cancels out the 78' touf - they only played SMU 7 times on that one.......

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: July 23, 2015 10:55

josepi

Gimme Shelter
Sympathy For the Devil
Midnight Rambler
It's Only Rock and Roll
Tumbling Dice

When we bought their albums we didn't repeatedly spin those 5.

Maybe you didn't, but many of us did. You can actually see the discoloration of the vinyl on those tracks on my copies.

Re: Let go of their ears - they know what they're doing
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:08

My theory is that YCAGWYW is used as an encore because it's easy on Mick's voice.

Posted by: StonedAsia ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:44

Miss You-toss for sure. I, for one, am sick of hearing it live. Never liked it. Emotional Rescue would be more interesting for certain.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 23, 2015 11:46

and has rival choirs performing drive-by's right across the land

ROCKMAN

Date: July 23, 2015 14:16

There was a thread about leaving early........The same encore for nearly a decade might be part of that.......maybe?

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: July 23, 2015 16:17

While there are many songs that define The Rolling Stones I think the only 2 they have to play every show are JJF and Satisfaction. All others could be rotated or played occasionally. I think they could pull off good shows in this way. Personally I believe they will stick to the already in place setlist. This way they can focus on giving a strong performance if it's the same songs over and over. As many of us have said "better this than no concerts at all".

Date: July 23, 2015 16:28

Thrylan

Interesting, but I'm crying BS.......

First, NO WAY have they played SMU over 100 more times than MY. Aside from a few special events(Superbowl) MY has been played every night every tour since 78'- correct me if I'm wrong.

Also, JJF almost 250 more times than Satisfaction. Satisfaction hasn't been featured on every tour, but they played the hell out of it from 65'-68'.....for sure. I need citations and a second credible source Sirs.....

May want to do your research more in depth at the site listed. They have all the tours since 1962 and are accurate on the 17 dates of the Zip Code 2015 tour.winking smiley

[www.setlist.fm]

As for the warhorses to drop I vote for:
Brown Sugar
Tumbling Dice
Happy

We really need to get Keith different songs for his miniset after the intros.eye rolling smiley

Thanks,

Mike

[www.flickr.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-23 16:30 by MidnightDevilRambler.

Date: July 23, 2015 17:02

So......since 82', they have played SMU 173 more times than MY??? BS! That just doesn't make sense. I see the numbers, however I have questioned the accuracy of that site before- on the subject of set lists. I don't think I need to do much research, I can do math! SMU was played 34 times in the US in 1999, if we assume they played it all all EIGHT..(8), dates in Europe, That stl leaves 131 discrepancy......... I'm not buying. I could be wrong, but if I am, I want a bunch of new boots!

Date: July 23, 2015 18:04

Thrylan

For one, it wasn't played on the NO SECURITY tour. 34 shows in the US was the NO SECURITY tour. Miss You was not played.

1999 BRIDGES TO BABYLON tour was 10 shows. Miss You was not played.

Then there were quite a few shows on the LICKS tour when Miss You was not played.

Thrylan

This has been talked about before. You might be able to find it. But it's true.

Date: July 23, 2015 18:07

Thrylan
So......since 82', they have played SMU 173 more times than MY??? BS! That just doesn't make sense. I see the numbers, however I have questioned the accuracy of that site before- on the subject of set lists. I don't think I need to do much research, I can do math! SMU was played 34 times in the US in 1999, if we assume they played it all all EIGHT..(8), dates in Europe, That stl leaves 131 discrepancy......... I'm not buying. I could be wrong, but if I am, I want a bunch of new boots!

You are wrong. In fact, you're inventing things. Like this:

Thrylan
So that cancels out the 78' touf - they only played SMU 7 times on that one.......

They didn't play Start Me Up on the 1978 tour.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: July 23, 2015 18:13

Miss You, Start Me Up, Angie, Live With Me (I know that it's not a staple but the versions of the past 20 plus years are dreadful), I could do without at this point.

Date: July 23, 2015 18:27

GasLightStreet
Thrylan

You are wrong. In fact, you're inventing things. Like this:

Thrylan

They didn't play Start Me Up on the 1978 tour.

Caught you on the sarcasm there......should have said Brussels 73'- Best SMU ever!!!

OK, so I was mistaken, but even with what you cited, I'm not sure we got to the magic number of 131.......130, Superbowl..... Lol

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home