Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Mick Jagger v Roger Daltrey (2015)
Posted by: randallsdad ()
Date: September 1, 2015 05:26

I saw both bands in Atlanta recently (I just love the thought of people thinking, damn, this SOB saw YGM which is why I keep pointing this out.) Roger was great that night but if they keep it up they need to follow the Stones strategy of three or four nights between shows. I think that helps the singers immensely.

Posted by: swimtothemoon ()
Date: September 1, 2015 05:52

More time between shows might be what Roger needs to protect his voice. However, not every band can afford the added "road expense" of all that
down time. Maybe they could do some in between shows just with Pete, Zach,
Simon and Pino? In others words in between the big Who shows do smaller
shows without Roger in order to cover the added expense of resting Roger's
voice for The Who show.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 1, 2015 06:28

Naturalust
stonehearted
Have a listen of this acoustic set with Pete and Roger at Ronnie Scotts in London, June 30, 2014, as part of their press conference to launch The Who 50. Roger sounds just fine.

That is friggin' sweet! Thanks for the post. Can you even imagine Mick and Keith trying to do something like this these days? No way could they pull it off close to what Daltry and Townsend do.

Neither is what they were in their prime, Stones put on a better show, imo but when you see this bare bones stuff from Roger it's pretty amazing. Mick when he is totally "on" is better but Roger seems to be more consistent.

Thanks for this stonehearted--truly remarkable!

It is impossible to imagine the Glimmers doing anything close to this, for both musical and personal reasons. Daltrey was marvelous but Townshend ... my god, what a force of nature!

I wonder which of the Twins would be more "exposed" musically by an attempt at a two-man unplugged set of, say:

Paint It, Black
Gimme Shelter
Love in Vain
Mother's Little Helper
Midnight Rambler

(my feeble attempt at trying to approximate the songs chosen by The Who)

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: September 1, 2015 09:05

A singer is never better than his songs. I Think Robert Plant is a brilliant singer also, but what about Zeppelins songs? hardly Stones or Who-class...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: September 1, 2015 09:27

Roger vs. Mick? Today, Jagger is the fitter of the two, certainly, but in '65?Working-class Shepherds Bush lad vs. the the middle-class, Kentish Jagger? No chance. Daltrey all the way, folks.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: September 1, 2015 11:32

Daltrey was a good singer in the seventies.I saw the who several times live between 1976 and 1981.
IMO Daltrey´s voice is very weak now (listen to Qudrophenia Live in London from 2014)!
But his voice was waek in 1982 also (listen to the awful Album The Who´s Last).

Jagger´s voice in 2014 (when I saw him live for the last time) was as strong as ever. His voice sounds very good on Sticky Fingers Live as well.

Date: September 2, 2015 02:24

The best stuff Roger's done in years. Enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-02 02:25 by micknkeef@cox.net.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: September 2, 2015 13:05

In a fistfight clearly Daltrey.
Singing-wise, Mick's voice is in much better shape now but it's worth remembering that they use their voices in completely different ways. Stones songs require barely any range or vocal gymnastics for the most part. PT's songs for The Who often go all over the place and require the kind of range Mick has never had.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: September 2, 2015 13:17

Let's be honest. None of them can sing anymore. They're to old. That's life...

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: September 2, 2015 13:43

When I listen to Sticky-Fingers-Live, I hear 87% of the singer Mick was in 1971. He is 72, but still has the voice of young man in his early 30s.

He is singing better than anybody ever would have expected from a 72-year old Jagger.

Roger´s voice in the 60s, 70s was great and his singing abilities even greater. But now his voice is definitively gone.

Date: September 2, 2015 13:48

Stoneage
Let's be honest. None of them can sing anymore. They're to old. That's life...

Personally, I think Mick is a better singer than he's ever been. By singer I mean that he actually sings now, he holds a note (when he wants to, mind you) longer than he did in the 70s. He hasn't lost his range, either.

His voice, however, isn't as strong as it was. That means it doesn't sound quite as good as in his prime, but still good.

Posted by: everwest1 ()
Date: September 2, 2015 14:11

Jagger's live singing is amazing. He sings as powerfully and great as ever. He has kept himself and his voice in great shape.

Date: September 2, 2015 14:13

And as far as being a great front man for band, Jagger may be the best of all time.

Date: September 2, 2015 14:26

Yeah, he shouted more in the eighties. I agree that he's trying harder these days to actually sing (hold a note as you say). The thing is: his vocal apparatus is very weak now and he has a tendency, also, towards nasality.
He uses voice techniques to combat this. But that works only to a degree. But good enough for most Stones fans I guess...

Date: September 2, 2015 15:04

Jagger sounds great these days, he does not sound nasally at all and his vocal apparatus sounds as strong as ever and naysayers might actually consider going to a live show to hear how well he sings.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-02 15:06 by everwest1.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: September 2, 2015 18:58

everwest1
Jagger sounds great these days, he does not sound nasally at all and his vocal apparatus sounds as strong as ever and naysayers might actually consider going to a live show to hear how well he sings.

He's got a good vocal coach whoever that is

Date: September 2, 2015 19:21

reg thorpe
everwest1

smiling smiley
I would bet the best money can buy, Mick can afford them.

And I would also bet it is more than just a vocal coach, probably also diet, practice, exercise and I have no idea what else, but whatever it is, I hope he keeps it up forever because he sounds great and is a great front man.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-02 19:23 by everwest1.

Date: September 2, 2015 19:23

everwest1
reg thorpe
everwest1

smiling smiley
Hopefully the best money can buy, Mick can afford them.

And I would bet it is more than just a vocal coach, probably also diet, practice, exercise and I have no idea what else, but whatever it is, I hope he keeps it up forever because he sounds great and is a great front man.

thumbs up

Date: September 2, 2015 19:45

Stoneage
Yeah, he shouted more in the eighties. I agree that he's trying harder these days to actually sing (hold a note as you say). The thing is: his vocal apparatus is very weak now and he has a tendency, also, towards nasality.
He uses voice techniques to combat this. But that works only to a degree. But good enough for most Stones fans I guess...

In the 70s, you mean?

Date: September 2, 2015 19:47

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

In the 70s, you mean?

maybe he means his age lol

Date: September 2, 2015 20:15

DandelionPowderman
Stoneage

In the 70s, you mean?

Yes, late seventies and early eighties especially. The "punk era", so to speak...

Date: September 2, 2015 20:18

Reg Thorpe = Everwest1 ?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-02 20:19 by Stoneage.

Date: September 2, 2015 20:24

nah, I shouldnt fall for that lame bait...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-02 20:27 by everwest1.

Date: September 2, 2015 20:32

I just do not understood why people who are not Stones fans, never go to live shows, never have anything good to say about the band or their music keep posting here.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: September 2, 2015 20:55

everwest1
And as far as being a great front man for band, Jagger may be the best of all time.

This is the main reason why people tolerate his "singing." Mick in many ways is unparalleled as a showman but his voice is a shadow of its prime. He has no deep, lower register; it's all very tinny and mono-tone. That being said, in all fairness, no one at 72 sounds like they did at 22!

Date: September 2, 2015 21:00

LongBeachArena72
everwest1

This is the main reason why people tolerate his "singing." Mick in many ways is unparalleled as a showman but his voice is a shadow of its prime. He has no deep, lower register; it's all very tinny and mono-tone. That being said, in all fairness, no one at 72 sounds like they did at 22!

There is no tolerating needed... Mick sings great. I just saw him live and he sounds great. If you dont think so, then that is your opinion and you probably can not be convinced other wise.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-09-02 21:06 by everwest1.

Date: September 2, 2015 21:10

everwest1
LongBeachArena72
everwest1

There is no tolerating needed... Mick sings great. I just saw him live and he sounds great. If you dont think so, then that is your opinion and you probably can not be convinced other wise.

thumbs up

Posted by: umakmehrd ()
Date: September 2, 2015 21:33

They are selling Who Tickets on Groupon for the Vancouver show this month - Enough said !

Jagger in a heartbeat

you don't want my trousers to fall down now do ya...

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: September 2, 2015 21:47

Stoneage
Reg Thorpe = Everwest1 ?

Naw everwest1 is probably Max, leonoid, relms though hard to keep up with the changing identities.

As far as Mick's singing goes I agree with him though, I think he's better in 2015 than he has been in decades. Imagine how good it could be if he devoted all his energy to the vocal and less to the other performance aspects!

Posted by: chop ()
Date: September 2, 2015 21:55

David Lee Roth crushes them both

But seriously, Micks voice still holds up well, I think better than McCartneys. Thing is though you never really hear Mick sing much during a concert since he's busy running around on stage, so he talks through a lot of songs. If he just stood at the mic and sung for real...it would end up sounding a lot better (and it's still pretty good as is)

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1771
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home