Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
OT: Comedy Albums
Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 21, 2015 21:01

The tour is over, and I thought we could all use some laughs to get us through the post tour blues.

So, yesterday, I was looking through some of my father's old albums that I inherited, and came across a few of his comedy albums, The Button Down Mind of Bob Newhart, and My Son, the Folk Singer, by Allan Sherman. It brought back memories of how popular those once were. My Dad loved them and listened to them all the time. I am sure there are many more of his collection at my sister's house. I know he had Lenny Bruce at Carniege Hall, because I remember we weren't allowed to listen to it. Johnathon Winters, The Smothers Brothers, all the great comics from the 1960's. I think he stopped buying them somewhere in the 70's, but I know there were many great comedy albums going into the 80's from Richard Pryor, George Carlin, Eddie Murphy, Steve Martin, Lily Tomlin, and others.

One summer when I lived on the infamous Barber Street in Athens, GA with about four other girls, we even had a Rodney Dangerfield I get no respect party. Everyone wore suit jackets and red ties. I still have the guest book we put out, wish it had real names in it because there were several REM band members there, but everyone signed themselves in as Rodney Dangerfield. grinning smiley

So, what are some of your fav comedy albums and do you have any special memories of listening to them? Special props to any albums with a Stones reference. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-21 21:19 by latebloomer.

Re: OT: Comedy Albums
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 21, 2015 21:15

Max Miller is one of Keith's favourites: [www.maxmiller.org]
There's an album (or at least a book!) on there somewhere!

Oh and it was a Lenny Bruce routine called The Comic at the Palladium
that Keith found a line that he twisted around and put to good use:
"The pool's not in but the patio's dry". Apparently it's on this album: [www.allmusic.com]

Date: July 21, 2015 21:26

"The pool's not in but the patio's dry".

Yes, that one is proably the most well known comic reference from Keith.

Just :50 seconds in:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: July 21, 2015 21:29

Keith, Bill and Charlie were all fans of the marvellous British radio and televised sitcom, Hancock's Half Hour. I recall Charlie name-checking Tony Hancock in a radio interview and Keith - somewhere, anyway - in a printed interview. I believe Bill May mention him somewhere in his Rolling With The Stones book.

Date: July 21, 2015 21:33

Let's not forget Keith's 'Infamy, Infamy; they've all got it in for me' line, jokingly pinched from British comic actor, Kenneth Williams. It was a from one of the Carry On! films, I believe.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-21 21:34 by Big Al.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: July 21, 2015 21:36

George Carlin's seventies albums were always fun, with the intelligent and witty assessments of things we always took for granted about everyday life. One of my favorites is 1981's A Place For My Stuff, which mixes studio sketches with live routines.

Full album: [www.youtube.com]

Embedded link here:

Also fun were Monty Python's albums, whose offbeat songs are always enduringly funny, one of my favorites being 1980's Contractual Obligation.

Here's track 9, A Farewell To John Denver: [www.youtube.com]

Embedded link here:

The rest of the album is available from this page: [www.youtube.com]

Tracklist:

Side One
"Sit on My Face" (Eric Idle & Harry Parr-Davies) – 0:44
"Announcement" (Eric Idle & Steve James) – 0:21
"Henry Kissinger" (John Cleese, Eric Idle, André Jacquemin & Neil Innes) – 0:48
"String" (John Cleese & Eric Idle) – 2:19
"Never Be Rude to an Arab" (Terry Jones & André Jacquemin) – 1:00
"I Like Chinese" (Eric Idle & André Jacquemin) – 3:10
"Bishop" (Terry Jones & Graham Chapman) – 2:33
"Medical Love Song" (Graham Chapman, Eric Idle & André Jacquemin) – 2:09
"Farewell to John Denver" (Graham Chapman, John Denver & Terry Gilliam) – 0:15 (omitted on some releases and replaced by an Apology by Terry Jones)
"Finland" (Michael Palin & André Jacquemin) – 2:18
"I'm So Worried" (Terry Jones & André Jacquemin) – 3:18
"End of Side 1 Announcement" (Michael Palin & Terry Jones) – 5:29 (cassette version only)

Side Two
"I Bet You They Won't Play This Song on the Radio" (Eric Idle) – 0:54
"Martyrdom of St. Victor" (Terry Jones & Michael Palin) – 1:41
"Here Comes Another One" (Terry Jones, Michael Palin, André Jacquemin & David Howman) – 1:58
"Bookshop" (Graham Chapman & John Cleese) – 4:22
"Do What John?" (Eric Idle & André Jacquemin) – 0:34
"Rock Notes" (Eric Idle) – 2:11
"Muddy Knees" (Terry Jones & André Jacquemin) – 2:10
"Crocodile" (Terry Jones & Michael Palin) – 2:34
"Decomposing Composers" (Michael Palin) – 2:43
"Bells" (John Cleese & Graham Chapman) – 2:22
"Traffic Lights" (Michael Palin, Terry Jones, André Jacquemin & David Howman) – 1:55
"All Things Dull and Ugly" (Graham Chapman, John Cleese, André Jacquemin, David Howman & Cecil Frances Alexander) – 1:28
"A Scottish Farewell" (Terry Jones, Michael Palin, André Jacquemin & David Howman arr. Terry Gilliam) – 0:23

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: July 21, 2015 21:37

Richard Pryor

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: July 21, 2015 21:41

Brian Regan Live

Date: July 21, 2015 21:44

Derek and Clive thumbs up

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 21, 2015 21:44

Date: July 21, 2015 22:15

Kinison was a little too nuts for me with the screaming bit, I could only take him in small doses. His bit about Jesus coming home to his wife from his three day weekend away was hilarious. I thought he was great too as the crazy professor in the movie Back to School.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 21, 2015 22:17

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:08

Flip Wilson

You Devil You

I haven't thought about that album in many years..but I had it..

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 21, 2015 23:35

well it has to be Derek And Clive live.

Date: July 22, 2015 00:06

with sssoul
Max Miller is one of Keith's favourites: [www.maxmiller.org]
There's an album (or at least a book!) on there somewhere!

Oh and it was a Lenny Bruce routine called The Comic at the Palladium
that Keith found a line that he twisted around and put to good use:
"The pool's not in but the patio's dry". Apparently it's on this album: [www.allmusic.com]

Hi Ssoul. I remember a bbc radio interview with Keith late 83' or early 84'
Keith was saying he loved Max Miller in the 30's. Keith went into a Max Miller routine.
I remember everything from interviews, although i have short term memory loss.
I could post the Gags here but in light of today's warnings ill leave it for now, the gags could be seen as sexist by some, in today's political correct agenda.
I will just say Keith had the timing of a comic genius. smoking smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:14

George Carlin - Class Clown, 1972
Cheech and Chong - Self titled, 1971, and Big Bamboo, 1972.

These were staples at our household when I was 9 or 10 years old that my older brother bought.
Never have any other comedy albums after that.

ps - My parents owned a couple of Flip Wilson and Jonathen Winters albums at the time-
I remember them having guests over, drinking cocktails, and laughing their asses off listening to these.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-22 00:17 by Hairball.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:17

When You're In Love, the Whole World is Jewish

...or anything by Gilbert Gottfried

Date: July 22, 2015 00:20

Bill Hicks.
Why do the good die young.
This guy was ahead of his time. Guess he had to go !!
Its just a ride.

[www.youtube.com]

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 22, 2015 00:25

Cheech & Chong. Who remembers this one? You gotta listen to the whole thing...the best part's at the end.

[www.youtube.com]

...or this classic from Richard Pryor...

[www.youtube.com]

Man, I miss those 8-tracks...we all need to laugh more.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-22 01:07 by shadooby.

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: July 22, 2015 02:13

From back in the daze, The Firesign Theater. And for what was considered adult humor and definitely would never be considered PC then or now, check out the late Redd Foxx. The adults would make sure we kids were elsewhere when they played Foxx's albums. Firesign and Foxx are available on Utoob.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 22, 2015 02:16

Any Neil Young album from the last ten years

ROCKMAN

Date: July 22, 2015 02:26

Not a comedy album but whenever I need a laugh I go to YouTube and watch Dean Martin Roasts clips. Here's one of my favs.

Date: July 22, 2015 02:33

Hey, Rockman, say what re Neil? You don't like Living With War or The Monsanto Years? What's up with that? They are supposed to fire up our imagination and get us marching in the street. Listened to 'em both, once, thanks to those folks out there on the Internet, but kept me money in me pocket re buying them. Your comment hits the point, but you gotta give Neil some props for doing his thing and no one else's. Actually, Psychedelic Pill would have made a great Neil and the Horse single album if Neil had another David Briggs in his life to tell him to leave out half the sh*t he wanted on the album.

Date: July 22, 2015 02:33

HAAAAAAAAHAAAAAAA!!! Foster Brooks...forgot about him....soooo funny!!!

Thanks, micknkeef. smileys with beer

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 22, 2015 02:41

sorry dmay .... it's all just a joke to me ...

ROCKMAN

Posted by: jahisnotdead ()
Date: July 22, 2015 04:00

dmay
From back in the daze, The Firesign Theater. And for what was considered adult humor and definitely would never be considered PC then or now, check out the late Redd Foxx. The adults would make sure we kids were elsewhere when they played Foxx's albums. Firesign and Foxx are available on Utoob.

On the Firesign Theater's 1974 Sherlock Holmes parody album "The Tale Of The Giant Rat Of Sumatra", 25:03 minutes in:

"Oh, keep rolling, Stones! You can find it. It's just a shot away, old man!"

I'm a huge fan of the Firesign Theater. I was able to do a phone interview with Phil Proctor and David Ossman about 15 years ago, and even met Mr. Proctor once. They are definitely my comedy heroes, and they were far ahead of their time. Nick Danger is probably their most accessible work, and "Don't Crush That Dwarf, Hand Me The Pliers" is really a masterpiece of audio theater, IMHO.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 22, 2015 05:04

Don't forget Weird Al's Mandatory Fun from last year. The first comedy album to reach NO 1 on Billboard in over 50 years!!

Date: July 22, 2015 05:11

Don't forget Red Foxx and his "You gotta wash that ass!" lp and then the Jimmy Walker lp "Dynamite".

Charles Baudelaire
1821-1867

Date: July 22, 2015 05:33

CharlesBaudelaire (1821-1867) - youse was ahead of your time, brudder, in gettin' to listen to albums. Whatcha use for playback? Edison hadn't even come up with the idea of the phonograph yet. Didja secretly teach him the secrets of recorded playback? We all thank you for making music and the concept of vinyl records available to us. BTW, was it you that also came up with the idea of using vinyl to record stuff? Youse a miracle worker if you did. Who knew what that crude in the earth could bring forth. (Written firmly with tongue in cheek and in all good humor.)

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 22, 2015 05:54

I bought an old Bill Cosby album from the late 60s...just before all the very bad information came out.

Kind of hard to listen to it now!

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1545
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home