Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9
ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers
Date: July 18, 2015 12:52

Sticky Fingers

Recorded & mixed:

March 22-31, 1969: Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
December 2-4, 1969: Muscle Shoals Studios, Florence, Alabama, USA
December 8-18, 1969: Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
February 17, 1970: Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
March-May 1970: Rolling Stones Mobile Unit, Mick Jagger's home Stargroves, Newbury, England;
Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
June 16-July 27, 1970: Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
October 17-31, 1970: Rolling Stones Mobile Unit, Mick Jagger's home Stargroves, Newbury, England;
Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
December 1970: Olympic Sound Studios, London, England
January 1971: various studios, London, England

Producer: Jimmy Miller
Chief engineers: Glyn Johns, Andy Johns & Jimmy Johnson
Released: April 1971
Original label: Rolling Stones Records (on WEA)

Contributing musicians:

Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Charlie Watts, Bill Wyman, Mick Taylor, Nicky Hopkins, Billy Preston, Ian Stewart, Bobby Keys, Jim Price, Jim Dickinson, Jimmy Miller, Rocky Dijon, Jack Nitzsche, Ry Cooder, Paul Buckmaster (arranger), Pete Townshend, Ronnie Lane, Billy Nicholls.

Brown Sugar
Sway
Wild Horses
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
You Gotta Move
Bitch
I Got the Blues
Sister Morphine
Dead Flowers
Moonlight Mile

What are your thoughts on this album?

Re: ALBUM TALK: Sticky Fingers
Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 18, 2015 12:59

Beautiful! When I first heard it in 1971, it was a revelation! I played it until I wore it out

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: July 18, 2015 13:17

The perfect album, from start to finish.

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 18, 2015 13:51

It's perfect. I love the Stargrove's side.
But I prefer Let It Bleed.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 18, 2015 13:54

Love Sticky ... musta fell asleep to it a million and three times at least in me life ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 18, 2015 15:14

Not my most loved Stones album, but the best one though.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 18, 2015 15:26

Maybe their best album. Most following albums - except Black & Blue, Undercover and Dirty Work - are heavily suffering from too many fillers on it.

What is there to say about these great, great songs on Sticky Fingers, that hasn´t already been said? I am afraid I can add nothing new.

Most of the songs are simply masterpieces, there is no other word. My absolute favorites are Can´t You Hear Me Knocking, Sister Morphine, I Got The Blues and Sway. Of course, Brown Sugar, Bitch, Wild Horses are equally great. Well, Bitch maybe not that great, but extremly enjyoyable too.

All in all it is a milestone in rock music, it´s the Stones at their creative peak.

From Brown Sugar to Sister Morphine it is a marvelous album, but the last two tracks, Dead Flowers and Moonlight Mile, are unfortunately boring. They had better not included these two songs, they are the weak points of an otherwise very strong album. Dead Flowers is a half-hearted country-attempt, the result is pretty boring. Moonlight Mile is awful in any way, hardly listenable.

Eight out of ten points.

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 18, 2015 15:58

Rockman
Love Sticky ... musta fell asleep to it a million and three times at least in me life ....

A perfect album to fall asleep to. When you fall asleep to Exile, Soul Survivor always wakes you up.

Posted by: fuzzbox ()
Date: July 18, 2015 16:11

HMS
Moonlight Mile is awful in any way, hardly listenable.

Wow.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 18, 2015 16:31

fuzzbox
HMS

Wow.

Same reaction ... some just don't get it, do they?

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 18, 2015 16:32

Papo
The perfect album, from start to finish.

that about sums it up.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 19, 2015 00:26

Their greatest LP, a slight notch above LET IT BLEED. Excellent LP. And of course... the John Pasche original logo...

...and the John Pasche logo tweaked by Craig Braun's art department ("in-house illustrators") 'new' tongue.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-23 17:07 by GasLightStreet.

Date: July 19, 2015 00:32

Dead Flowers and Moonlight Mile, are unfortunately boring

Seek help ... it's never too late

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 19, 2015 00:36

Ear candy. Holds up well 45 years later. Not many records I can list with 10 great tunes, not a bad tune in the bunch. The pinnacle of Stones songwriting and coolness.

Seemed to be a pretty druggy period for them but they were obviously still working for them.

Hard to find a rock musician that wasn't influenced by Sticky Fingers or a guitar player who doesn't know how to play at least one of the tunes from this record.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 19, 2015 00:39

I've contemplated getting the reissue for the extra disc or whatever but have been floundered by the choices. I've seen one edition at Target, it looked like some kind of box set, and another, the double, at Sam's. I've yet to be to Best Buy and I forgot to look at Barnes & Noble.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: July 19, 2015 00:40

My favourite stones album and the main reason why im addicted to the stonessmiling smiley

Date: July 19, 2015 00:41

Just get it ... The bonus disc is the best thing released this year so far ....

The studio stuff will nail ya .. and the Roundhouse stuff will slay ya ..

ROCKMAN

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 19, 2015 00:52

The perfect start to the 70s. A drug concept album with a road map toward debauchery, excess, and great music. This album is perfect in so many ways. The entire package, album art, music contained on the vinyl, the writing, playing, singing, production. A sublime work showing that rock n' roll is indeed art.

Posted by: Ket ()
Date: July 19, 2015 01:45

a true timeless classic that I recently had the pleasure of 19 year old listen to it for the first time (son of a friend of mine) and he summed it up "Wow!that is one of the best albums i have ever heard" well if 19 year old says that in 2015 then you know this one is special

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 20, 2015 16:24

Favorites 1971:

Sway, Wild Horses, You Gotta Move, Sister Morphine, Moonlight Mile

Favorites 2015:

Moonlight Mile and Wild Horses

2 1 2 0

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: July 20, 2015 16:31

With Taylor in place, Jagger having more control and his creativity at an all-time high...the group seems to be at it's highpoint (heading into EOMS).

Many consider this their best, in terms songs, music and production (I'd say even in terms of marketing).

My fave tracks: Brown Sugar, Wild Horses, Dead Flowers, Sway, Moonlight Mile, Can't You Hear me Knocking (big guitar solos but a tad too long).

For me in terms of personal taste I still prefer (for highpoint/peak) the Beggars Banquet album.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-20 16:43 by nightskyman.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: July 20, 2015 16:47

Yes.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 20, 2015 17:32

The album to show the world they had a new guitar player with fabulous skills aboard.
And the album to show the world what happens when they no longer have a record company
to guard the utter limits of what they considered "good taste", when it comes to lyrics.
The results are astonishing. Like all great albums, there's a lot of diversity on Sticky
Fingers. And all styles are performed great. When I look back through all the years
I've played this album, my favourites have changed from time to time. The album had
the ablility to grow with me. It's one of those albums I can listen to every single
day of my life, and I will never get bored with it.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: July 20, 2015 18:00

marcovandereijk
It's one of those albums I can listen to every single
day of my life, and I will never get bored with it.

High praise, indeed.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 18:03

LeonidP
fuzzbox
HMS

Wow.

Exactly. MM is a bone fide classic.

Date: July 20, 2015 18:05

bitusa2012
LeonidP
fuzzbox
HMS

Wow.

Perhaps Jagger's masterpiece (if he's the sole writer).

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 20, 2015 18:13

nightskyman
bitusa2012
LeonidP
fuzzbox
HMS

Wow.

Perhaps Jagger's masterpiece (if he's the sole writer).

Perhaps, but I don't really care about that. It's a Stones classic. The best ever album closer to this day that they ever released.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: July 20, 2015 21:58

bitusa2012
It's a Stones classic. The best ever album closer to this day that they ever released.

Totally disagree. Moonlight Mile almost ruins this masterful album. If I could have it my way, it would be removed from all further pressings. This very very strange and almost unlistenable song rather belongs to Their Satanic Majesties Request and even there it would be most unpleasing. One of my least-liked Stones-songs ever. How could they close this masterpiece with a song like Moonlight Mile, I will never understand that.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: July 20, 2015 22:06

HMS
bitusa2012
It's a Stones classic. The best ever album closer to this day that they ever released.

Totally disagree. Moonlight Mile almost ruins this masterful album. If I could have it my way, it would be removed from all further pressings. This very very strange and almost unlistenable song rather belongs to Their Satanic Majesties Request and even there it would be most unpleasing. One of my least-liked Stones-songs ever. How could they close this masterpiece with a song like Moonlight Mile, I will never understand that.

what about MM is unlistenable, or unpleasing, or very, very strange?

what makes it so bad for you..can you point to specifics? the way its recorded? the lyrics? the playing?

Posted by: 2000man ()
Date: July 20, 2015 22:09

HMS
Moonlight Mile almost ruins this masterful album. If I could have it my way, it would be removed from all further pressings. This very very strange and almost unlistenable song rather belongs to Their Satanic Majesties Request and even there it would be most unpleasing. One of my least-liked Stones-songs ever. How could they close this masterpiece with a song like Moonlight Mile, I will never understand that.

I believe you are in a minority of one with this opinion

Goto Page: 123456789Next
Current Page: 1 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1831
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home