Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Keith Related: Tom Waits
Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 17, 2015 17:58

I am somewhat new to Tom Waits - I knew more OF him, than about him really, On a whim, I picked up a used copy of his Rain Dogs CD the other day, as I heard it was one of his better ones. I'm listening to one of the last songs, Blind Love, and thinking 'man, that guitar sounds like Keith.' Sure enough, I check the credits to find it is Mr. Richards, and he is also on a few other tracks. I guess he has also appeared on some other Waits albums. I know he did the Little Red Rooster appearance with the Stones which I've seen and is pretty damn cool. I need to check this cat out some more. Some of his stuff is pretty bizarre, but some of it is pretty cool, in a warped kind of way. For any Waits fans out there, what might I try next?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-17 18:00 by DEmerson.

Re: Keith Related: Tom Waits
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:04

Check out his early 70's record "Closing Time". The tune Grapefruit Moon is one of the saddest and most beautiful things he has ever done.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:06

I got his Bone Machine album because Keith sings on That Feel ... it's such a great song, but it got me to listen to the rest of the album, which is incredible! I got a couple other Waits albums because of this, including Rain Dogs, but still, Bone Machine remains my favorite.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:09

Personally, I like Waits from the 70s better. As Naturalust says: "Closing Time" is very good. My favourites would be "Heartattack and Vine" and "Small Change". But indeed, "Raindogs" (and the one before "Swordfishtrombone" ) are very good as well, and I count them as his last really great albums.
After those, his later albums got more repetetive, with some good songs for sure, but too many filler with too much "quirky for quirkiness sake".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-17 19:02 by matxil.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:13

Tom Waits also a great rendition of Goodnight Irene on one of his later albums, which is also on Keith's upcoming album.

You can't really go wrong with a Tom Waits album, but if you like the style on Rain Dogs, I would look at his later albums such as Bone Machine, Mule Variations, and Orphans.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:20

Christmas card from a Hooker . . from Blue Valentine is one of my favourites.
But there is a lot of good stuff.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:20

Koen
Tom Waits also a great rendition of Goodnight Irene on one of his later albums, which is also on Keith's upcoming album.

You can't really go wrong with a Tom Waits album, but if you like the style on Rain Dogs, I would look at his later albums such as Bone Machine, Mule Variations, and Orphans.

+1

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 17, 2015 18:51

Rain Dogs is Tom's best, imo, and he and Keith were a match made in heaven on that record.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 17, 2015 19:04

I wouldn't mind having a drinking session with these two guys either, although I'm not sure I'd survive it.

Posted by: OutOfTime ()
Date: July 17, 2015 19:22

Keith is on the 2011 Bad As Me album too: Last Leaf. Also there is a reference to Mick and Keith in the song Satisfied in the lyrics: "Now Mr. Jagger and Mr. Richards I will be scratching where I'v been itching".
Another good/great album by the way.

Posted by: DEmerson ()
Date: July 17, 2015 19:45

Interesting you mention the song Satisfied - that's the tune I heard on Sirius radio that I liked and got me thinking about him again. Actually D'Ling it right now!

Date: July 17, 2015 20:17

matxil
I wouldn't mind having a drinking session with these two guys either, although I'm not sure I'd survive it.

Tom stopped drinking about 25 years ago.

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: July 17, 2015 20:26

waltzing matilda

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 17, 2015 20:28

Tom is cool, but some of his stuff is hard for me to dive into, a little too tripy, esoteric, whatever you want to call it. I usually come back to the old albums too. I've always loved Closing Time...sentimental sap that I am.

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: July 17, 2015 20:30

I'm a fan. I like Bad As Me a lot, and I like many of the early tunes. Any of his songs can be played from his website, btw. Do watch him performing (online) too.

And here he is, with Keith, singing "Shenandoah" (a traditional American song)

Waits & Richards Shenandoah

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: July 17, 2015 20:32

Agree with Closing TIme, a beautiful album and indeed Grapefuit Moon is sublime. My favourite ever TOm Waits song is Kentucky Ave, but since I have it on a best of I can't recall from which album it derives. Have a listen to it and I challenge anyone to listen to it and not shed a tear.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 17, 2015 20:35

My first Tom Waits album was Frank's Wild Years, which I've bought only because of one song: Innocent When You Dream, that I first listened on the movie Smoke.

Later on, a friend of mine who is a huge fan has showed me some of his albums which I've been enjoying a lot. The Heart of Saturday Night, Nighthawks at the Dinner and Small Change, especially.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-17 20:36 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: BostonLass ()
Date: July 17, 2015 20:43

Favorite love songs: Back In The Crowd, I Hope That I Don't Fall In Love With You, You Can Never Hold Back Spring.

Swoon.

Date: July 17, 2015 20:58

latebloomer
Tom is cool, but some of his stuff is hard for me to dive into, a little too tripy, esoteric, whatever you want to call it. I usually come back to the old albums too. I've always loved Closing Time...sentimental sap that I am.

You're in good company bloomer, this one gets me every time.

[www.youtube.com]

A tune from Wilco kind of has the same feel. I was close with Jay Bennett (playing piano) and after his tragic passing I am a crying bumbling fool every time I hear this one. I thought you might enjoy it too with your sentimental nature and all......

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: z ()
Date: July 17, 2015 21:04

If you liked Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones is the next one you should try.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: July 17, 2015 21:11

There are gemstones on all his albums...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: July 17, 2015 21:15

Naturalust
latebloomer

You're in good company bloomer, this one gets me every time.

[www.youtube.com]

A tune from Wilco kind of has the same feel. I was close with Jay Bennett (playing piano) and after his tragic passing I am a crying bumbling fool every time I hear this one. I thought you might enjoy it too with your sentimental nature and all......

[www.youtube.com]

...with sad and lovely and very true lyrics by Woody Guthrie. Sorry about your friend, NL.

Date: July 17, 2015 21:47

latebloomer
...with sad and lovely and very true lyrics by Woody Guthrie. Sorry about your friend, NL.

Thank you dear. Yes I should have mentioned Woody Guthrie. Strange that Billy Bragg took the writing credit for this one, it was obviously Jeff and Jay who put those lovely lyrics to song. Part of the reason Wilco didn't want to tour with him to support that Mermaid Avenue record.

Date: July 18, 2015 02:33

z
If you liked Rain Dogs, Swordfishtrombones is the next one you should try.

thumbs up

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 18, 2015 02:57

71Tele
matxil

Maybe that explanes his lousy performance doing LITTLE RED ROOSTER with THE ROLLING STONES.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: July 18, 2015 03:00

matxil
Personally, I like Waits from the 70s better. As Naturalust says: "Closing Time" is very good. My favourites would be "Heartattack and Vine" and "Small Change". But indeed, "Raindogs" (and the one before "Swordfishtrombone" ) are very good as well, and I count them as his last really great albums.
After those, his later albums got more repetetive, with some good songs for sure, but too many filler with too much "quirky for quirkiness sake".

I couldn't disagree more. For me, Bone Machine is incredible, but Mule Variations is his most fully realized album. Incredible songs, with enough wierdness to be exoticly interesting.Also, Orphans, Brawlers and Bastards is a lot to digest, but almost completely perfect. It's not a "real" album as such, but a collection of soundtrack pieces and extras from benefit albums. Check it out.

Date: July 18, 2015 07:42

RipThisBone
71Tele
matxil

Maybe that explanes his lousy performance doing LITTLE RED ROOSTER with THE ROLLING STONES.

I would blame that on lack of rehearsal.

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: July 18, 2015 12:15

Mule Variations and Real Gone are wonderful. Listen to Marc Ribots solo here:

hoist

John Hammond's covers are very good too, and perhaps somewhat easier on the ears for those who think TW is an acquired taste:

hammond

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: July 18, 2015 13:52

ROCKMAN

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: July 18, 2015 15:27

Orphans is a treasure trove of the weird, eerie, beautiful, and hard rocking Tom Waits. Brilliant. I agree, if you like Rain Dogs get Swordfish Trombone. Brilliant. Bad as Me is also superb! The vinyl practically makes the stylus jump from the record! Alice also another very good later day release. Real Gone has the beautiful Trampled Rose on it, stunning song. Hell all his stuff is great!
His early 70s stuff is good, but I find it a bit pedestrian after a few listens. I prefer Waits weirdness and beauty. But I will say that Nighthawks at the Diner is a great listen! Hilarious. Waits is quite a comedian!
His last appearance on David Letterman was brilliant, talking about his new cologne "new car smell" and the perspirant for unemployed who want to smell like they've been working. Classic!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1345
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home