Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Sticky Fingers Live - Bob Clearmountain's Mix
Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 30, 2015 22:30

GasLightStreet
Bob's work with the Stones:

Miss You single
TATTOO YOU
STILL LIFE
STEEL WHEELS tour 1989 Atlantic City pay per view
Out Of Tears single
VOODOO LOUNGE tour Miami pay per view
I Go Wild live b-side for I Go Wild single - it's from Miami
STRIPPED
LIVE LICKS
THE BIGGEST BANG DVD box set
SHINE A LIGHT
EXILE RARITIES
STICKY FINGERS reissue live material
STICKY FINGERS LIVE

He did a little more : [www.discogs.com]

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 31, 2015 00:27

I forgot about that Love Is Strong mix. I looked up what he has on his site and found a couple things I wasn't aware of as well as saw some things missing.

Date: July 31, 2015 00:58

At least for the albums and videos he did :

- Tattoo You
- Still Life
- Atlantic City '89 (broadcast mix)
- Stripped
- Forty Licks 4 new tracks
- Live Licks
- The Biggest Bang
- Shine A Light
- Exile on Main St bonus tracks
- Some Girls bonus tracks
- Some Girls Live in Texas
- Muddy Waters & the Rolling Stones Live in Chicago
- the 6 officials live bootlegs (including Eagle Rock reissues)
- Sweet Summer Sun
- Sticky Fingers reissue
- Live at the Marquee
- Sticky Fingers Live

Date: July 31, 2015 05:58

kowalski

- Tattoo You
- Still Life
- Stripped
- Live Licks
- The Biggest Bang
- Shine A Light
- Sweet Summer Sun
- Sticky Fingers reissue
- Live at the Marquee
- Sticky Fingers Live

I looked about the SOME GIRLS extras... didn't see shit mentioned, yet for the EXILE RARITIES he was. In some places.

Weird.

I forgot he did the bootlegs.

Date: July 31, 2015 06:23

GasLightStreet

I looked about the SOME GIRLS extras... didn't see shit mentioned, yet for the EXILE RARITIES he was. In some places.

Weird.

His name is written in my SG deluxe CD booklet... I guess I don't have the only SG bonus CD mixed by Mr. Clearmountain smiling smiley

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 13:20

[youtu.be]

This is from 1987 and a Clearmountain mix, needs more reverb do you think. Jimmy Barnes with Neil Schon on guitar, the guitars sound like crap on what could have been a pretty good song, even with the reverb and 80s drums.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-31 13:24 by lapaz62.

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: July 31, 2015 15:56

shortfatfanny
Just hope the DVD/ Blu Ray release will be the whole show.
If they lock Jagger out of the editing room we'll get it!

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 31, 2015 16:19

lapaz62
[youtu.be]

This is from 1987 and a Clearmountain mix, needs more reverb do you think. Jimmy Barnes with Neil Schon on guitar, the guitars sound like crap on what could have been a pretty good song, even with the reverb and 80s drums.

Nobody could have saved that one lapaz, can't polish a turd.

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: July 31, 2015 16:25

GasLightStreet
kowalski

- Tattoo You
- Still Life
- Stripped
- Live Licks
- The Biggest Bang
- Shine A Light
- Sweet Summer Sun
- Sticky Fingers reissue
- Live at the Marquee
- Sticky Fingers Live

Weird.

He also mixed FLASHPOINT.

Date: July 31, 2015 17:41

kowalski
GasLightStreet

Weird.

His name is written in my SG deluxe CD booklet... I guess I don't have the only SG bonus CD mixed by Mr. Clearmountain smiling smiley

I can't remember where I put my CDs! What's weird though is just that, not having that to look at and looking online, that Clearmountain's name is on the EXILE info but not the SG info. At least at all that I looked at.

Date: July 31, 2015 17:43

Rocky Dijon
GasLightStreet
kowalski

- Tattoo You
- Still Life
- Stripped
- Live Licks
- The Biggest Bang
- Shine A Light
- Sweet Summer Sun
- Sticky Fingers reissue
- Live at the Marquee
- Sticky Fingers Live

Weird.

He also mixed FLASHPOINT.

He recorded for FLASHPOINT. Christopher Marc Potter mixed the live album.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: July 31, 2015 22:07

Don't forget his single mix for Before They Make Me Run, released as a promo.

Date: July 31, 2015 23:24

TeddyB1018

A very good remix.

Date: August 1, 2015 07:56

Naturalust
lapaz62
[youtu.be]

Nobody could have saved that one lapaz, can't polish a turd.

The old polish a turd quote, we must be in the same business.

Date: August 2, 2015 07:17

kowalski
TeddyB1018

A very good remix.

See? Even his website doesn't have all the info gathered in this thread! This is good stuff.

Posted by: rod ()
Date: August 2, 2015 12:27

brickwalling!confused smiley
anybody help me.. please

Date: August 2, 2015 12:46

If you imagine sound waves as a mountain range, it's like putting a roof over it and pushing up the mountains til they hit the roof. When the taller mountains hit the roof, they stop but the smaller once keep rising until they are all at the same level, some peaks will be crushed a little, some a lot, making the smaller and larger mountains all around the same level, ie the brick wall name. or I could have said they put a limiter filter it. Like a compressor it takes away dynamics.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 05:35 by lapaz62.

Date: August 3, 2015 00:45

And... it's very LOUD. As in, you can have the volume down and it's already loud. Which means... you can't play it loud. There's no "room" in the music.

Date: August 3, 2015 00:54

OK so... to update his mixing work...

Miss You - single and 12"
Before They Make Me Run - promo mix
TATTOO YOU
STILL LIFE
STEEL WHEELS tour 1989 Atlantic City pay per view
Love Is Strong - single remix
Out Of Tears - single edit remix
VOODOO LOUNGE tour Miami pay per view
I Go Wild - live b-side for I Go Wild single
STRIPPED
FORTY LICKS new tracks
LIVE LICKS
THE BIGGEST BANG DVD box set
SHINE A LIGHT
EXILE RARITIES
SOME GIRLS bonus tracks
SOME GIRLS - LIVE IN TEXAS
Muddy Waters & The Rolling Stones LIVE IN CHICAGO
official bootleg releases - 8 now?
HYDE PARK LIVE/SWEET SUMMER SUN
STICKY FINGERS reissue live material LIVE AT THE MARQUEE
STICKY FINGERS LIVE

Posted by: gwen ()
Date: August 14, 2015 23:29

I may be wrong but I kind of understand why Mick would fine the original mix too dry to be released on iTunes. The main target of this release would be mobile listeners using headphones or in-ears, without the natural reverb of a living room. A little more reverb makes sense, right?

Date: August 14, 2015 23:59

gwen
I may be wrong but I kind of understand why Mick would fine the original mix too dry to be released on iTunes. The main target of this release would be mobile listeners using headphones or in-ears, without the natural reverb of a living room. A little more reverb makes sense, right?

Interesting theory! You may be onto something there, Bob didn't expound on Mick's listening environment except to say he wasn't watching the video. But....I still think there is a correct amount of reverb to use and the released mix went over that line a bit and it causes a distinct lack of clarity in the music. The best mixes sound good on headphones or in a living room and you can see how mixes with too much reverb to begin with can get even worse when played in a room. And it's hard to say without hearing the original mix Mick rejected.

Date: August 15, 2015 00:24

If I can enjoy Mobile 1972 I sure can enjoy a reverb-heavy pro recorded and mixed show while I'm waiting for the vinyl, which will be mixed and mastered differently cool smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: August 15, 2015 01:22

Yeah I would love to get this on vinyl. Here's hoping that Ward comes up with a tasty package. I have loved everything I have ordered from them. Very high quality and creative.

Date: August 15, 2015 01:56

I used some in ears this week. Horrible. I don't understand how that is the thing to shoot for with a mix. No bass... just... awful.

Date: August 15, 2015 02:06

GasLightStreet
I used some in ears this week. Horrible. I don't understand how that is the thing to shoot for with a mix. No bass... just... awful.

I don't think it is a thing one shoots for actually, I've never heard of any professional engineer mix with anything but near field studio monitors. Many guys will switch between a couple sets of them to check their mix because some monitors favor bass, etc. Perhaps with all the portable device popularity some guys actually do check mixes after they're done with in ears but I've never seen it.

If it sounds great throught the monitors it's probably going to sound great through the headphones or ear buds.

Date: August 15, 2015 20:15

GasLightStreet

It reeally depends on the ones you used, really - I don't really like headphones because I can't wear them too long. Usually it presses the branch of my glasses against my ears and it gets painful. And hot too.

And I also like the isolation you get from in-ears which allows you to use a much lower volumes. It is also much nicer to your neighbors in public transportation since it does not leak sound at all (I used to be able to tell in the bus when someone was using an iphone with the stock earbuds since it would leak so much).

My first in-ears were the cheapest Shure and I loved them, really sturdy, until my neighbour in a plane crashed the jack - a shame since the sound was really great, great balance in the sound. Lovely bass, not too much.

I then got Klipsche in-ears which had so much bass. It was also a lot more fragile thant the Shures and didn't last long.I had my original Shures fixed and used them until they were could not be fixed anymore.

Then I got the newer cheapest Shure. Always sturdy, more bass, but I find the stereo imaging a little strange and less precise. Still great in-ears, I just prefered the older ones.

Date: August 15, 2015 20:24

gwen
Then I got the newer cheapest Shure. Always sturdy, more bass, but I find the stereo imaging a little strange and less precise. Still great in-ears, I just prefered the older ones.

I agree there are noticeable differences in in-ear monitors but the stereo imaging shouldn't be effected at all. All the sound mixed to the left channel goes to the left bud and the same for the right. I can't imagine a case where the imaging would be effected by the in-ears unless there was cross talk between the two channels. Basically leakage caused by the wires running too close together without proper insulation to prevent it. I'm not saying it's impossible but it sounds very unlikely. Maybe you just got a defective pair or something. confused smiley

Date: August 15, 2015 20:53

Naturalust
I agree there are noticeable differences in in-ear monitors but the stereo imaging shouldn't be effected at all.

I can assure you it is sometimes affected. For instance, the stock ear-buds shipped with my ipod nano before I got the Shure would not only leak awfully but also pan everything very hard, either dead center or far left/right.

More specifically, I "feel" that dead center on my new shure is located around my forehead when the older would be at eyes level. Difficult to explain (and even more since english is not my native language), but when I got them I was really annoyed. I got used to it, but at times I still find it annoying.

In-ears (and headphones in general) use lots of psycho-acoustic tricks to fool your brain into making a realistic and coherent audio picture from two separate channels. I'm very impressed how they make you feel like a whole room is breathing to music when in fact only a tiny volume of air is moving.

Date: August 15, 2015 21:59

Naturalust
GasLightStreet

I don't think it is a thing one shoots for actually, I've never heard of any professional engineer mix with anything but near field studio monitors. Many guys will switch between a couple sets of them to check their mix because some monitors favor bass, etc. Perhaps with all the portable device popularity some guys actually do check mixes after they're done with in ears but I've never seen it.

If it sounds great throught the monitors it's probably going to sound great through the headphones or ear buds.

I've always thought that iTunes is geared towards ear buds. When things are 'mastered for iTunes' that's what that means to me! I guess that's what I think because from what I've seen most people use their iPhones to listen to iTunes and that requires those stupid ear buds that have no bass!

Date: August 15, 2015 22:00

gwen
GasLightStreet

It reeally depends on the ones you used, really - I don't really like headphones because I can't wear them too long. Usually it presses the branch of my glasses against my ears and it gets painful. And hot too.

And I also like the isolation you get from in-ears which allows you to use a much lower volumes. It is also much nicer to your neighbors in public transportation since it does not leak sound at all (I used to be able to tell in the bus when someone was using an iphone with the stock earbuds since it would leak so much).

My first in-ears were the cheapest Shure and I loved them, really sturdy, until my neighbour in a plane crashed the jack - a shame since the sound was really great, great balance in the sound. Lovely bass, not too much.

I then got Klipsche in-ears which had so much bass. It was also a lot more fragile thant the Shures and didn't last long.I had my original Shures fixed and used them until they were could not be fixed anymore.

I will look for some Shures then!

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2560
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home