Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gimme Shelter - live versions
Posted by: Tops ()
Date: July 14, 2015 09:44

Which one is the best one? Your opinions...

Can't choose between the one from brussel (73) and the one from Paradiso (95). I miss the female vocal in the 73 versions otherwise that had surely been my number 1.

Surely been discussed before ...

Re: Gimme Shelter - live versions
Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 10:21

When this song WAS synonym of tension, long time ago...

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Posted by: BrownSugar1980 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 10:46

Wembley '73 and one of the Philly '72 performances (forget which show the one I'm thinking of is from) are my two favorites. The version on Fort Worth Express (June 24th '72 Second Show) is another one I really like, but mainly for the piano.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 10:50

It's never been done well live IMO. i suppose my favorite would be altamont, not because of the playing but because, well, for obvious reasons.

Date: July 14, 2015 10:55

Turner68
It's never been done well live IMO. i suppose my favorite would be altamont, not because of the playing but because, well, for obvious reasons.

That's funny, because to me Gimme Shelter from '73 might be the Stones finest hour. They used to wail on that song. It didn't sound exactly like the studio version, but it was awesome. I personally prefer the live versions. I love that riff Taylor plays that isn't on the studio version. They never really faithfully recreated the opening, but they improved on the rest of the song I thought. Some of Taylor's best solo work.

Date: July 14, 2015 11:28

BrownSugar1980
Turner68

That's funny, because to me Gimme Shelter from '73 might be the Stones finest hour. They used to wail on that song. It didn't sound exactly like the studio version, but it was awesome. I personally prefer the live versions. I love that riff Taylor plays that isn't on the studio version. They never really faithfully recreated the opening, but they improved on the rest of the song I thought. Some of Taylor's best solo work.

kleermaker would agree with you.

but i disagree, i think taylor's noodling ruins it.

this is a key topic in delineating taylor extremists from mere taylor fans. i am a taylor fan. i think his noodling in 73 went beyond the pale and prefer 69-70

Date: July 14, 2015 11:38

Turner68
BrownSugar1980
Turner68

kleermaker would agree with you.

but i disagree, i think taylor's noodling ruins it.

this is a key topic in delineating taylor extremists from mere taylor fans. i am a taylor fan. i think his noodling in 73 went beyond the pale and prefer 69-70

There are times and songs where I wish Taylor would cool it. I don't think Jumpin' Jack Flash or Brown Sugar need some of the fancy work he put on them in '72 and '73. Gimme Shelter isn't one of those times for me though, I think it works well with that arrangement. Not just Taylor, but Keith's guitar work, Bill's bass, etc.

Posted by: FB ()
Date: July 14, 2015 12:45

Twickenham licks tour 2003, I like it a lot.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: July 14, 2015 13:34

I agree that MT does too much on some numbers, particularly the live JJF's from that era, but that Philly 72 GS, the one where Mick says thank you, Philly, thank you at the beginning, is the my no. 1 live Stones track, Keith and Taylor at their finest, Charlie just driving it, it seems to explode from the speakers.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 14, 2015 13:40

Paradiso 1995
St. Louis 1997
Wembley 1973 is okay.

Posted by: Thommie ()
Date: July 14, 2015 14:59

Paradiso '95 was my fave version. Till I heard L.A. Forum '75. Heard to beat that one!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: July 14, 2015 15:10

Altamont
Rotterdam 73

Posted by: saltoftheearth ()
Date: July 14, 2015 15:52

Rokyfan
I agree that MT does too much on some numbers, particularly the live JJF's from that era, but that Philly 72 GS, the one where Mick says thank you, Philly, thank you at the beginning, is the my no. 1 live Stones track, Keith and Taylor at their finest, Charlie just driving it, it seems to explode from the speakers.

No, no, no, and no again! It was the fashion of the time, and he did it brilliantly!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 14, 2015 16:42

NO SECURITY version is stellar. I like the 1970s versions but they're a bit fast.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: July 14, 2015 17:10

Best GS versions were back when the Stones were dangerous in 72-73. '75 has some OK versions too. These are my favorites:

Birmingham '73 - wah-tastic. Wish there was a SB of that standout show.
Philadelphia '72 - hard powerchord rhythm by MT

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 14, 2015 17:21

Although I'm not a friend of the post '89 Stones I appreciate most the 89/90 versions, great soli by Ronnie (in many cases at least). Also the versions in 75 were fantastic, even a little better than the ones in the Taylor years which of course are great without any doubt, too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-14 17:22 by RobertJohnson.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 14, 2015 17:53

FB
Twickenham licks tour 2003, I like it a lot.

Yes, worked fantastically as the first number after the B-stage set.

Olly.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 14, 2015 18:23

GasLightStreet
NO SECURITY version is stellar. I like the 1970s versions but they're a bit fast.

Well, mention them then. As far as I know there's only one GS version from the European 1970 tour available. It's a transition version from 69 to 72,

Date: July 14, 2015 18:40

kleermaker
GasLightStreet

Well, mention them then. As far as I know there's only one GS version from the European 1970 tour available. It's a transition version from 69 to 72,

The boot versions... Brussels, Headin' For An Overload, It's Getting Hot Up Here.

Date: July 14, 2015 19:10

GasLightStreet
kleermaker
GasLightStreet

The boot versions... Brussels, Headin' For An Overload, It's Getting Hot Up Here.

one of you is talking about "the 70s" and the other about "1970"

Date: July 14, 2015 20:11

Yes, 1970s versions, from what I understand of the boots I have, are from 72 and 73. And of course LA Friday, a phased out mess! Still quite fast as well.

Date: July 14, 2015 20:12

Of course, this is clearly the worst ever...

1978 Woodstock rehearsals.

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 14, 2015 22:05

I do not like the versions of GS of the 70s, no female voice this song loses all its charm. Best version Paradiso Amsterdam 95.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: July 14, 2015 22:13

Altamont '69

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: July 14, 2015 22:14

kleermaker
As far as I know there's only one GS version from the European 1970 tour available. It's a transition version from 69 to 72,
Is this available anywhere, Kleermaker? According to RocksOff, it was only played at the first show of the tour in Helsinki and no tape exists. Is that accurate?

Date: July 14, 2015 22:40

GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

wow, you're right, that is horrendous.

Date: July 14, 2015 23:27

GasLightStreet

[www.youtube.com]

Perth '73 was pretty bad also. It's a disaster made worse (or maybe caused) by some questionable guitar choices by Taylor. They eventually get it together and finish respectably, but it takes at least half the song if I remember correctly.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 15, 2015 00:58

err...umm...didn't we just go over thisconfused smiley

Date: July 15, 2015 00:59

shadooby

Uh, well, you know, so what, man!

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: July 15, 2015 01:03

GasLightStreet
shadooby

Uh, well, you know, so what, man!

sew buttons on your underwear, man. >grinning smiley<

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1767
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home