Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stray Cat Blues/Soul Survivor
Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: July 6, 2015 06:39

I posted last week that Street Fighting Man and Rocks Off sound similar on the chorus. I think the build up to the chorus of Stray Cat Blues and Soul Survivor sound very similar as well.

Re: Stray Cat Blues/Soul Survivor
Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: July 6, 2015 07:02

Uh.... not at all.

Watch anything on Netflix lately?

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: July 6, 2015 07:31

No but have you considered the similarity between U2s When Love Comes To Town (1988) and the Stones You Got Me Rocking (1994)? Have a listen and tell us what you think.

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: July 6, 2015 07:36

Stray Cat has a wicked opening both on the recorded version and on Ya Ya's. Soul Survivor is also great , but they sound distinctively different to me. I guess you could look at the chords and see.

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 12:06

MrThompsonWooft
No but have you considered the similarity between U2s When Love Comes To Town (1988) and the Stones You Got Me Rocking (1994)? Have a listen and tell us what you think.

My friend's wife is a Director of Music and a very accomplished multi-instrumentalist. She came along with us to the Sheffield show of the Voodoo Lounge tour, 20 years ago this week. She made this very same comparison between the same 2 songs and gave YGMR a real slating, saying it was a blatant rip-off. It was a brand new song then, and unbeknown to us at the time it went on to become a semi warhorse. Good job they were friends with BB King and U2 because they really could have challenged the Stones about that if they wanted to.

On a related matter, remember how they pre-emptied potential bother by giving KD Lang s song-writing credit for 'Anybody Seen My Baby' on BtB? KD Lang was as surprised as anyone and spparently was very flattered!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 12:10 by grzegorz67.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 6, 2015 12:20

I don't see the similarity between Stray Cat Blues and Soul Survivor.

Neither do I see what Love Came To Town (or anything else by U2) has to do with You Got Me Rocking (or anything else by the Stones). There is a slight resemblance in the riff of You Got Me Rocking and How I Wish from Keith's first solo album though.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 6, 2015 12:40

When love comes to town: Keith Richards with U2:

video: [www.youtube.com]

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: July 6, 2015 12:49

Yes, but I still don't hear what it's got to do with You Got Me Rocking. The drums maybe.

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: July 6, 2015 13:27

It could be the "I was a sailor I was lost at see" versus the "I was a butcher cutting up meat"
line or something. I don't hear any other similarities either.
And it takes a lot of effort to hear the Stray Cat Blues/Soul Survivor connection too.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Posted by: pricepittsburgh ()
Date: July 7, 2015 00:24

I just mean about 58 seconds to a minute in of Stray Cat and about 15 seconds in on Soul Survivor. Around the time he says Yeah on both. Not because he says year but because of the beat and/or rhythm

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: July 7, 2015 03:12

Stray Cat actually has the same chords in the intro/verse as Sweet Home Alabama.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 7, 2015 03:22

71Tele
Stray Cat actually has the same chords in the intro/verse as Sweet Home Alabama.

If so, completely different inversions. They of course sound nothing like each other rhythmically. Many other songs though use that D, C, G (Em passing) structure with much similarity. Sweet Home Alabama, Dear Mr Fantasy, Your Time is Gonna Come, Main Street just to name a few.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 7, 2015 03:22

Do you mean the part that goes "it's no hangin matter" from SCB and the "soul survivor" chorus? They aren't very close, but there is some similarity.

Date: July 7, 2015 04:00

grzegorz67
MrThompsonWooft

My friend's wife is a Director of Music and a very accomplished multi-instrumentalist. She came along with us to the Sheffield show of the Voodoo Lounge tour, 20 years ago this week. She made this very same comparison between the same 2 songs and gave YGMR a real slating, saying it was a blatant rip-off. It was a brand new song then, and unbeknown to us at the time it went on to become a semi warhorse. Good job they were friends with BB King and U2 because they really could have challenged the Stones about that if they wanted to.

On a related matter, remember how they pre-emptied potential bother by giving KD Lang s song-writing credit for 'Anybody Seen My Baby' on BtB? KD Lang was as surprised as anyone and spparently was very flattered!

"You Got Me Rocking" is so generic in some places that it could be considered a rip-off of probably at least 10 different songs.

"Rock 'n' Roll Part 3" or whatever the title is by (I believe) Gary Glitter is one of the most obvious. That's the song always played over the P.A. at sporting events ..... american football ; basketball games etc. .

As its (almost) saving grace though,it does have some trademark Richards guitar work.

Posted by: MrThompsonWooft ()
Date: July 8, 2015 13:27

Whilst the lyrics are not exactly the same the structure is the same. I was a sailor v i was a butcher....... It's as close as you can get. And just as blatant as Anybody Seen My Baby.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: July 8, 2015 22:01

matxil
Yes, but I still don't hear what it's got to do with You Got Me Rocking. The drums maybe.

Language - both are in English....

Posted by: HalfNanker ()
Date: July 8, 2015 22:19

i think Im going down was scrapped and then revived as Soul Survivor--the guitar parts at least...obviously not the lyrics.

Date: July 9, 2015 01:49

Naturalust
71Tele

If so, completely different inversions. They of course sound nothing like each other rhythmically. Many other songs though use that D, C, G (Em passing) structure with much similarity. Sweet Home Alabama, Dear Mr Fantasy, Your Time is Gonna Come, Main Street just to name a few.

Yeah. Stray Cat Blues - 1968.

Sweet Home Alabama - 1974.

So... no, Stray Cat does not have the same chords as Sweet Home Alabama.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: July 9, 2015 01:56

GasLightStreet
Naturalust
71Tele

I don't follow you here GasLight, what does the year of release have to do with the structure of the two songs? I definitely can hear the similarity, though the timing and the phrasing is different.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 9, 2015 01:57

GasLightStreet

In what way does the date of two songs effect the question of their similarity?

Olly.

Date: July 9, 2015 02:05

Really? Y'all can't figure out that Stray Cat does not have the same chords as Sweet Home Alabama with the help of the dates?

The implication that You Got Me Rocking is the same as When Love Comes To Town works because When Love Comes To Town came out in 1988...

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: July 9, 2015 07:36

pricepittsburgh
I posted last week that Street Fighting Man and Rocks Off sound similar on the chorus. I think the build up to the chorus of Stray Cat Blues and Soul Survivor sound very similar as well.

Speaking as one who usually notices these things....yes, they do, and I never noticed it before. The chord progression is not the same, but the feel is.

"Oh yeah, you're a strange stray cat, oh Yeah, dont you scratch like that!!"....
"You've got a cut throat crew, (Yeah!!) I'm gonna sink under you"

Chord progression a bit different but those song sections are pretty similar. Thank you!

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 9, 2015 07:44

if u2 had had a claim, they would have pursued it, no matter how friendly they are with the stones.

the way such law works is that if you don't pursue people who copy your creation, then it becomes unenforceable because your lack of action implies you are ok with other people using it.

this is why you hear stories of one musician settling with another musician who is a friend of theirs for $1, etc. and both making statements to the effect that there was no ill blood. (i think tom petty was recently involved in one such case.)

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: July 9, 2015 13:39

Soul survivor and it must be hell

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1799
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home