Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Was Charlie ever replaced in the studio in the 60's?
Posted by: Happy Jack ()
Date: July 6, 2015 03:29

I have read of several cases in the 1960s where producers replaced the bands drummer with a studio drummer. This is notable with the first version of Love Me Do where Ringo was replaced. On several early Kinks songs (including You Really Got Me), Mick Avory is replaced by a studio drummer. So was Charlie ever replaced with a studio drummer by a producer in the 60's?

Re: Was Charlie ever replaced in the studio in the 60's?
Posted by: GS1978 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 03:48

Jimmy Miller played drums on YCAGWYW. I think Charlie has said that he was having a hard time getting the right feel of the song, and when Jimmy Miller sat down to show him, Charlie told him to just play it himself. As many here have noted, Jimmy Miller, in addition to being a great producer, was a talented drummer.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 05:58 by GS1978.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 05:08

Most of the songs on Metamorphosis are studio musicians. I don't think Charlie plays on IORR (the song) either. Ronnie plays drums on Sleep Tonight.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 6, 2015 05:55

DGA35
Most of the songs on Metamorphosis are studio musicians. I don't think Charlie plays on IORR (the song) either. Ronnie plays drums on Sleep Tonight.

'...in the 60's [sic].'

...But yes, IORR features Kenny Jones.

Wood also plays drums on 'Too Rude'.

Olly.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 05:56 by Olly.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 07:51

If I didn't mention anything from after the 60's, this thread would have already ended! smiling smiley

Date: July 6, 2015 07:56

Happy Jack
I have read of several cases in the 1960s where producers replaced the bands drummer with a studio drummer. This is notable with the first version of Love Me Do where Ringo was replaced. On several early Kinks songs (including You Really Got Me), Mick Avory is replaced by a studio drummer. So was Charlie ever replaced with a studio drummer by a producer in the 60's?

at least with mick avory this was due to some contract issues

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 07:57 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: July 6, 2015 10:44

keefriffhard4life
Happy Jack

at least with mick avory this was due to some contract issues

Is that right ? I thought it was because they were concerned that recording sessions were quite short so hired Bobby (Dave Clarke) Graham.
Nothing wrong with Mick Avory's drumming to my ears and from live footage evidence from 64-66.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: July 6, 2015 10:44

The well-known session drummer Bernard 'Pretty' Purdie claimed in Max Weinberg's The Big Beat-book that he played on some Stones-tracks, but I can't imagine this being true. (He also claimed he played on 21 Beatles-tracks...).

N

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 6, 2015 12:35

GS1978
Jimmy Miller played drums on YCAGWYW. I think Charlie has said that he was having a hard time
getting the right feel of the song, and when Jimmy Miller sat down to show him, Charlie told him to just play it himself.
As many here have noted, Jimmy Miller, in addition to being a great producer, was a talented drummer.

The way I understand it, it wasn't so much that Charlie was having any trouble, just that Jimmy Miller
had his own idea and really really really wanted to do it, so Charlie graciously stood back and let him.

What he does on that cymbal during the build-up to the doubletime ending is freakin brilliant -
That lopsided gait like a refugee from a lunatic asylum keeps stumbling and staggering
and when it goes into doubletime and the beat falls into place it's just AHHHHH

Ahem, sorry - I digress :E

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2306
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home