Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Some Questions about an Outtake
Posted by: HearMeKnockin ()
Date: July 2, 2015 23:02

Here's the outtake (it's long by the way... so don't say I didn't warn you...)

My questions:

-What's that mildly annoying (to me) percussive sound at the beginning, and again from roughly 12:00 to 13:00?

-What's the instrument that starts on 6:40?

-What's the instrument at 11:04? Is that a Mellotron, a flute, or a guitar?

-The instrument at 11:09?

-What is Keith/Brian doing to his guitar at 14:18? How's he getting all that fuzz?

Thank you.

Re: Some Questions about an Outtake
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: July 3, 2015 00:45

HearMeKnockin
Here's the outtake (it's long by the way... so don't say I didn't warn you...)

My questions:

-What's that mildly annoying (to me) percussive sound at the beginning, and again from roughly 12:00 to 13:00?

-What's the instrument that starts on 6:40?

-What's the instrument at 11:04? Is that a Mellotron, a flute, or a guitar?

-The instrument at 11:09?

-What is Keith/Brian doing to his guitar at 14:18? How's he getting all that fuzz?

Thank you.

No answers, tho I look forward to the replies.

Weirdly enough, I listened to this same recording twice just 5 days ago. eye popping smiley Love it.

- swiss

Date: July 3, 2015 00:49

swiss

No answers, tho I look forward to the replies.

Weirdly enough, I listened to this same recording twice just 5 days ago. eye popping smiley Love it.

That is pretty weird, swiss... and thanks for bumping this back up.

Date: July 3, 2015 08:29

Bump.

Date: July 3, 2015 08:50

His Majesty would have known...he was a Brian encyclopedia. I took a few minutes before and listened to various Morrocan stringed instruments that Brian might have played, but none of them sounds like that very cool instrument at 6:40, which is just so cool.

I think 11:04 is a mellotron. I thought at first 11:09 was a thumb piano, but it's a stringed instrument.

Sorry not be helpful sad smiley -- I think it's a great question -- you might have to wander over to a Brian fan board.

Date: July 3, 2015 09:36

swiss
His Majesty would have known...he was a Brian encyclopedia. I took a few minutes before and listened to various Morrocan stringed instruments that Brian might have played, but none of them sounds like that very cool instrument at 6:40, which is just so cool.

I think 11:04 is a mellotron. I thought at first 11:09 was a thumb piano, but it's a stringed instrument.

Sorry not be helpful sad smiley -- I think it's a great question -- you might have to wander over to a Brian fan board.

Thanks anyway, swiss. You're the only person to reply to this post.

And could you recommend a Brian fan board?

Thanks.

Date: July 3, 2015 10:35

~

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-03 23:34 by swiss.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: July 3, 2015 18:23

HearMeKnockin
swiss

Thanks.

at 11:09 I think it's a guitar, just through a different amp or a different setting. The bell percussion at 12:00 could be a Dobani.

Dobani

Date: July 3, 2015 18:41

andrewt
HearMeKnockin
swiss

Thanks.

at 11:09 I think it's a guitar, just through a different amp or a different setting. The bell percussion at 12:00 could be a Dobani.

Dobani

Thank you andrewt... but I guess I didn't make it clear that I meant the scraping sound at the very beginning (that I at least thought recurred later) that seems mixed in front of everything. Might that be guiro? But again, thank you.

Date: July 3, 2015 19:33

It could be a guiro (I had to look that up!).

Whatever it is, there's a lot of echo on it.
Maybe someone scraping something across a tabla?

It's definitely not sampled...

Date: July 3, 2015 19:36

andrewt

grinning smiley

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 3, 2015 19:44

HearMeKnockin
andrewt

grinning smiley

Considering how much acid they were taking, my bet is it's something rather mundane that sounded astonishing to them at the time like someone flicking the matches in a matchbook or something. smoking smiley

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: July 3, 2015 19:57

At 6:40 it's definitely a violin, just not played the "normal way" - remember the falling coins on piano strings at the start of 2000 Light Years From Home?

Date: July 3, 2015 20:05

alimente
At 6:40 it's definitely a violin, just not played the "normal way" - remember the falling coins on piano strings at the start of 2000 Light Years From Home?

You might be right but it sounds more like a fretted instrument to me, possibly a mandolin. The intonation is just a bit too perfect.

Posted by: txussilvestre ()
Date: July 3, 2015 20:22

HearMeKnockin
andrewt
HearMeKnockin
swiss

Thanks.

Dobani

Thank you andrewt... but I guess I didn't make it clear that I meant the scraping sound at the very beginning (that I at least thought recurred later) that seems mixed in front of everything. Might that be guiro? But again, thank you.

Maybe a dymo clicking?

Posted by: SilverBlanket ()
Date: July 3, 2015 20:25

The instrument at 6.40 seems to be a mellotron on mandolin setting.

Date: July 4, 2015 00:27

SilverBlanket
The instrument at 6.40 seems to be a mellotron on mandolin setting.

I think that was used in Citadel as well. Could be it.

Date: July 4, 2015 08:14

Big thanks to everyone for their help. This is what I have so far:

-Percussive sound at beginning: possibly a guiro, most likely something mundane as Naturalust suggested.

-6:40 instrument is probably a Mellotron on mandolin setting as SilverBlanket suggested.

-The 11:04 instrument is probably a Mellotron on flute setting (as Swiss suggested), or, more doubtfully, a real flute.

-The 11:09 instrument... I guess is a guitar. confused smiley Although it sounds like no guitar I'd heard earlier in the song, or anywhere else in my entire life. Any of the more experienced guitarists have an idea of equipment and settings?

The 14:28 guitar effects were also left untouched... could these experienced guitarists help with determining equipment on that one also?

Any help is appreciated. Thank you.

Date: July 4, 2015 08:43

-The 11:09 instrument... I guess is a guitar. confused smiley Although it sounds like no guitar I'd heard earlier in the song, or anywhere else in my entire life. Any of the more experienced guitarists have an idea of equipment and settings?

Phrasing sure sounds like a guitar, I'm going to guess electric guitar through small speaker with EQ, possibly using a distant mic with a close mic.

The 14:28 guitar effects were also left untouched... could these experienced guitarists help with determining equipment on that one also?

Just sounds like a fairly distant mic'ed electric guitar to me. Pretty clean, don't hear much effects there

Knowing these guys were tripping the whole time I'm guessing some strange mic and amps placements contributed to the strange sounds. Like setting the amp on the piano or placing the mic inside the back of the amps, etc. Also plugging electric guitars into other devices like portable tape recorder inputs or keyboard aux inputs.

Date: July 4, 2015 08:47

Naturalust

Phrasing sure sounds like a guitar, I'm going to guess electric guitar through small speaker with EQ, possibly using a distant mic with a close mic.

Just sounds like a fairly distant mic'ed electric guitar to me. Pretty clean, don't hear much effects there

Knowing these guys were tripping the whole time I'm guessing some strange mic and amps placements contributed to the strange sounds. Like setting the amp on the piano or placing the mic inside the back of the amps, etc. Also plugging electric guitars into other devices like portable tape recorder inputs or keyboard aux inputs.

Well, I knew the 11:09 one was a guitar by now, but it sounded almost like a piano, so I was curious.

And I apologize for the 14:28 thing... apparently I was insane while listening to it the first time and believed I'd heard a heavily distorted version of the 11:09 riff...

Date: July 4, 2015 09:13

By the way, I'd never really heard this version before and it's way better in this form than what ended up on the album.

If '67 wasn't so messed up for the Stones, they could have worked this into a true epic.

Date: July 4, 2015 19:38

andrewt
By the way, I'd never really heard this version before and it's way better in this form than what ended up on the album.

If '67 wasn't so messed up for the Stones, they could have worked this into a true epic.

+1 thumbs up

Date: July 5, 2015 07:12

Bump. Still hoping for an answer about the 11:09 guitar equipment.

Posted by: deardoctor ()
Date: July 5, 2015 14:44

11:9 is a guitar you will realize at 11:26, there is a typical hammer on lick.

Date: July 5, 2015 22:55

Bump. Still hoping for an answer about the 11:09 guitar equipment.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 11, 2015 04:24

Regarding the bell like mid emphasised clean guitar.

This was achieved through the use of the Brilliant channel and it's MRB (mid range boost) on a Vox Conqueror amplifier.

smileys with beer

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home