Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 77
Re: The Rolling Stones Exhibitionism
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 15, 2016 21:13

Here's one of the pages of Keith's diary written in 1963:

[twitter.com]

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 15, 2016 22:46

Hey that entry is on my birthday (but I wasn't born yet in 1963).

Nice find, thanks for sharing!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 15, 2016 23:33

okay so now we know your birth date .... but you'll have ta wait till next year ta come around again ......

ROCKMAN

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: April 16, 2016 12:34

The current issue of the UK satirical magazine 'Private Eye' has a cartoon about, and a feature on, Exhibitionism.

Perhaps someone in the UK could scan the two bits and post them here for us to see?

I gather that they were not enthralled by the show.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 17, 2016 05:56

CaptainCorella
The current issue of the UK satirical magazine 'Private Eye' has a cartoon about, and a feature on, Exhibitionism.

Perhaps someone in the UK could scan the two bits and post them here for us to see?

It is nice to have, but it is kind of overkill. During this 50 and Forever period there was a huge Rolling Stones exhibition at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as well. They could have spaced some of this out. I think they should have released all those fantastic DVDs one at a time, at Christmas maybe. Not that I mind having all of it all at once, but now I'm like a spoiled kid, wanting to unwrap more presents when all that's left is socks and underwear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-18 03:36 by 24FPS.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 17, 2016 06:30

24FPS
CaptainCorella

It is nice to have, but it is kind of overkill. During this 50 and Forever period there was a huge Rolling Stones exhibition at the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame as well. They could have spaced some of this out. I think they should have released all those fantastic DVDs one at a time, at Christmas maybe. Not that I mind having all of it all at once, but now I'm like a spoiled kid, wanting to unwrap more presents when all that's left I socks and underwear.

Sometimes, the best things are the last. smiling smiley

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 17, 2016 12:46

Cristiano Radtke

[twitter.com]

Ace to see it! I remember having doubts that there was one. grinning smiley

Date: April 17, 2016 14:26

thumbs up

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 17, 2016 20:30

His Majesty
Cristiano Radtke

[twitter.com]

Keith referred to one of his early diaries in Life, and some people here at the time made up their minds that these diaries were a complete work of fiction, along with a couple of letters he quoted. As you say, ace to see it!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: April 18, 2016 19:14

Posted by: CloudCat ()
Date: April 18, 2016 22:59

Koen
Hey that entry is on my birthday (but I wasn't born yet in 1963).

you share that birthday with a few others, too!

Posted by: EJM ()
Date: April 19, 2016 09:57

edited

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-19 12:55 by EJM.

Date: April 19, 2016 15:07

Green Lady
His Majesty
Cristiano Radtke

[twitter.com]

Keith referred to one of his early diaries in Life, and some people here at the time made up their minds that these diaries were a complete work of fiction, along with a couple of letters he quoted. As you say, ace to see it!

I pondered whether they might be. grinning smiley

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:36

Received my VIP passes today in the mail. They're very nice, made in lenticular 3D. I'm ready to be rocked, especially by the Hyde Park 3D clip. Yahoo!

Date: April 19, 2016 16:46

thumbs up

Intend to go sometime in the summer. cool smiley

Posted by: bye bye johnny ()
Date: April 20, 2016 03:04

'Exhibitionism': Inside Massive New Rolling Stones Exhibit in London

From rare archival footage and costumes to a stuffed donkey, this is the memorabilia exhibit Stones fans have dreamed about

By David Browne | April 19, 2016

Mick Jagger, Ronnie Wood and Keith Richards performing onstage at the Oshawa Civic Auditorium on April 1st, 1979. Richard E. Aaron/Getty

The Rolling Stones have been the subjects of documentaries, concert films and books, but with the recent London opening of an exhibit of their vast personal archive, the band is finally getting the museum-exhibit treatment. Spread out over two floors and nine galleries at the Saatchi Gallery, Exhibitionism crams in much of what any Stones fan would want to see: stage clothing, guitars and other gear, displays of classic album cover art and tour posters and the history of their legendary "lips" logo.

But the exhibit – which is arranged by theme rather than by a timeline – has plenty of other surprises: recreations of the first apartment the band shared and a typical backstage area, a video and movie gallery that includes a portion of the infamous @#$%& Blues, and even 3D concert footage. Curator Ileen Gallagher takes RS on a tour of the inner workings of Exhibitionism – which is said to be coming to other cities, including New York, in the future.

This exhibit is pretty huge and complex. How long has it been in the works?
About three years ago, IEC, a production company out of Australia that had started getting into the traveling exhibition business, approached the Rolling Stones. It was the right moment for the Stones and their career, and they realized this is a great opportunity to get in front of their fans in a different sort of way. They had discussions and came up with the basic narrative structure.

What was that narrative?
The band was interested in doing something thematic that really wasn't a chronological presentation, for obvious reasons. When you begin in the Sixties and you've been going for over 50 years, it kind of has this crescendo and then this downward slope [Laughs]. They wanted their career to be explored thematically, and I think that was definitely the right decision. It allows you to kind of explore these rich topics and their history very cohesively.

Tell us about the Stones' own archive. Where is it?
It's a warehouse in London. I'm bad at [measurements], but it's maybe 10,000 square feet. About two thirds of the exhibit came from that. It's climate controlled and there's a clothing area, an instrument area, a tape area, a film area. There's just so much. When we were going through things, we found these lyric books of Mick's from the Some Girls era. It was really a great discovery.

We also went to some primary collectors who collect Stones memorabilia and material. The band doesn't have anything before 1972. When you're a young band, you have no idea of what your future is going to be. You don't necessarily think these things are important or of significance. So they just didn't think it was important [to save materials in the early days], you know? Obviously, in retrospect, that was foolish.

They did keep some guitars and instruments from their earlier years, but that was kind of it. And Mick was very good at keeping his clothing. I can't say that for the other men in the band. Bill Wyman apparently collected a lot. We borrowed some items from him, like the outfit he wore in Hyde Park and his first amp. As legend goes, that's the one he used for his audition with the Stones. He also donated one of Brian Jones' guitars.

What did the collectors have that the Stones didn't?
Some of the rarest posters and all the early posters. One of the collectors had all the copies of this early Rolling Stones magazine that was put out. We have the handwritten sheets each member of the band filled out – about what was their favorite hobby, what they did after school. It's one of the great things we have in the exhibit.

There's also an early contract, the first recording contract the band signed. That was from one of the collectors. It was signed by Brian and [early Stones business manager] Eric Easton. The date is from 1963. And basically, the terms of the contract gave the band 6% of the records' wholesale price.

How involved was the band as you and your colleagues were organizing the exhibit?
We had two large meetings that all the band members attended where we reviewed the designs for the exhibition. They gave us their feedback. And then another meeting where everything was a little more gelled. And again, we got their feedback also. We showed them things that were going to be included in the exhibition. But it wasn't so much on that micro level of their involvement. It was more the look and the feel of the exhibition, the stories that we were trying to tell.

Did they have any special requests?
Mick really advocated for the re-creation of the Edith Grove apartment, and we had a lot of conversations about how we should accomplish that and how it should look and feel. There were no photos [of the original apartment]. The designers of the exhibition took photographs of the outside of the house and the inside of the flat as it existed now, so we were able to re-create the right kind of proportions of the room. But the inside, we really had to kind of leave to Keith's and Charlie's memories. They were pretty in-sync. They all said it was disgusting. [Laughs] They mostly remembered there was a radiogram [a combination radio and record player] and that they spent a lot of time listening to records. And Brian would spend time writing letters to various publications trying to get gigs, saying, "You know, we are not a rock & roll band. We are not a pop band. We are an R&B band."

What did they nix for the exhibit?
In the beginning, there were some ideas thrown around, like having a gallery devoted to songwriting. Mick was like, "You can't. I write in the kitchen, I write in the living room, I write in the hotel room. I write when I'm on safari." It's not a thing of going into the studio and cutting a record for them. They write wherever and whenever the inspiration hits.

The exhibit features a slew of Mick's stage outfits, especially those jumpsuits that now look so amusing.
There's a series of three jumpsuits in the exhibition. Mick talked about how much he really loved them, because it was so easy to jump in and jump out of them. The clothing does have some stains on it. For the most part, they were in very good shape.

We had this really funny exchange. I did run all the clothing by him that was going to be in the exhibition. Do you remember those mariachi shirts that were worn by him and Charlie at one moment in the band's career? They had the very ruffled arms. I wanted to put the one that Charlie wore in the exhibition, but Charlie didn't really want to be represented that way. I told Mick that, and he said, "You have got to be kidding me. Look at these costumes that are representing me. Some of them are so unbelievable, and Charlie is worried about being seen in his mariachi shirt?"

All these guitars we're seeing – are they still being used?
Most of the ones from Keith are retired. But most of the ones from Ronnie are still in use, which is kind of very cool. One of the guitars I wasn't sure that we were going to get until the last moment was one of Ronnie's. But it's in the exhibition. I'm not sure how long we'll be able to keep it. We also have the guitar Keith played on "Gimme Shelter." At the very end of the song, the neck fell off. Apparently you can hear it in the song.

What's the story behind the Keith 1957 Les Paul that's partly painted?
He was waiting to go to jail [for the 1967 bust] and he was kind of fooling around with this paint set and started on a pair of shoes. And then I guess the acid kicked in, and he started on the guitar. I can read you his quote. "I was bored waiting to go to jail. They had come out with these paints, you know, like a pen thing. I started with a pair of shoes and then went on to the guitar. I wouldn't have done this to a guitar, if I hadn't known the stuff was working. I did the first to a pair of white boots I had. And after I had taken enough acid and done the boots, OK, what's next? The guitar, it was a hell of a trip. Yeah, I certainly didn't personalize it, didn't I?"

What's the significance of the African percussion?
Those were Charlie's. They're the original drums featured in "Sympathy for the Devil." We also have Charlie's first drum kit. He also kept his toy drum kit he used for "Street Fighting Man." It's from the 1930s, and he bought it at an antique shop. He and Keith were fooling around with it one day. It ended up as a main percussion on "Street Fighting Man." That's another of the great things in the exhibit.

What are some of the highlights?
We have the first recordings they did at IBC Studio from March 11th, 1963. We have an evocation of Olympic Studio. In there, we have guitars from Keith and Brian and Charlie's drum kit, and on the screens behind all of that is video of the band in the studio. We have Ian Stewart's piano there and an organ played by Billy Preston over the years. When Charlie went through the exhibit and got to the studio, we actually went inside it, behind the glass, to check everything out.

What are some of the highlights?
We have the first recordings they did at IBC Studio from March 11th, 1963. We have an evocation of Olympic Studio. In there, we have guitars from Keith and Brian and Charlie's drum kit, and on the screens behind all of that is video of the band in the studio. We have Ian Stewart's piano there and an organ played by Billy Preston over the years. When Charlie went through the exhibit and got to the studio, we actually went inside it, behind the glass, to check everything out.

Was Mick Taylor involved?
No. Actually, he does feature in the 3D movie, because the footage is taken from Hyde Park.

One thing not on display is Mick's famous top hat from that 1969 tour.
The top hat doesn't exist anymore. But we did recreate the cover of Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! with a stuffed donkey. The production manager procured it. I think it's on rent to us from Australia. We are renting the donkey.

Does it look like the one on the original?
It looks pretty good. That donkey's legs on the [original] cover are very short. The ones in the exhibition, his legs are much longer. But other than that, I think there's a striking resemblance.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Date: April 20, 2016 03:09

It's a warehouse in London. I'm bad at [measurements],
but it's maybe 10,000 square feet. About two thirds of the exhibit
came from that. It's climate controlled and there's a clothing area,
an instrument area, a tape area, a film area.

ROCKMAN

Date: April 20, 2016 07:10

One of the collectors had all the copies of this early Rolling Stones magazine that was put out.

I've got a set. Are they really rare?

(To annoy.... About 2 years ago I set about creating indexed scanned .pdf reproductions of these. I did Issue 1 and (setting modesty aside) I realised that it had come out really well on just about every level. And then I stopped.

My reason was that as far as I know the bloke who owns the copyright to them is both alive and very litigious. As he also owns the copyright to the equivalent Beatles set he'd not likely let the Stones set fly under his radar. As I don't really want to be sued to kingdom come that's where I left it.

Back to the big posting of the Rollingstone.com feature... it's a HUGE shame that they could not bring themselves to mention MATT LEE, without whom some very significant items would not have been on display.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-04-20 07:12 by CaptainCorella.

Date: April 20, 2016 07:19

it's a HUGE shame that they could not bring themselves to mention MATT LEE, without whom some very significant items would not have been on display.

Pretty sure I read that his name is mentioned a number of times throughout the Exhibitionism show

ROCKMAN

Date: April 20, 2016 08:48

Rockman
it's a HUGE shame that they could not bring themselves to mention MATT LEE, without whom some very significant items would not have been on display.

Pretty sure I read that his name is mentioned a number of times throughout the Exhibitionism show

It is.

I was referring to the article in rolling Stone magazine that was an interview with the Stones "curator". Very rude of them to omit Matt's role in this.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Private Eye
Posted by: johnnythunders ()
Date: April 18, 2016 21:53

Veteran satirical London magazine Private Eye featured the Stones twice this week here

[onlyrockandroll.london]

Re: Private Eye
Date: April 19, 2016 00:59

ROCKMAN

Date: April 19, 2016 01:13

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: April 19, 2016 16:54

Nobody minds a bit of micky taking...

...but you'd normally expect from Private Eye a better class of humour than a re-cycling of the old geriatric jokes. eye rolling smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 19, 2016 18:19

Private Eye has been a U.K. satirical magazine since the 50's or early 60's.

They take the piss out of everything and anything that is in the news.

I like the magazine myself as it doesn't take itself too seriously, which is the best way to think ,when reading the stuff in it. smoking smiley

Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: April 19, 2016 20:24

It does do some serious stuff and It's been sued several times. Especially under its current editor, also a long standing Team Captain in the BBC's 'Have I got News for You'. It likes to expose corruption in public office and is pretty fearless.

However, when it comes to public figures as personalities, it takes the piss mercilessly spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: April 19, 2016 20:46

I like it and will occasionally purchase.
My children don't find it funny at all. I think political satire hasn't the same appeal to their generation.
HIGNFY needs to change its format somehow, its got very samey.

Date: April 20, 2016 01:25

jlowe
I like it and will occasionally purchase.
My children don't find it funny at all. I think political satire hasn't the same appeal to their generation.
HIGNFY needs to change its format somehow, its got very samey.

Apologies, not Stones related... but can I ask JLOWE if "IPC Business Press" means something special to you?

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: April 20, 2016 18:17

Rockman

Here´s Matt:

Ali Zayeri (does anybody know him?) loaned some rare first prints of album covers.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: April 20, 2016 18:19

Stuck between Linda Lawrence and Mick Jagger.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...2526272829303132333435...LastNext
Current Page: 30 of 77

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1821
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home