Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
And another guitar overdub on Ya-Ya's
Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2015 11:39

Just found another guitar overdub on Ya-Ya's...During Keith's solo on Honky Tonk Women, Taylor's counter rhythm guitar is removed and replaced by Richards playing an heavy, straight forward Berry rhythm.
So now we have:

JJF - Taylor partially removed during the outro section (the E - D - C# - B parts)
Carol - Taylor's main rhythm part, overdubbed by Richards. Taylor's counter turn-arounds still present
Stray Cat - Richards standard tuned rhythm guitar during the verses ('oh yeah, you're a strange stray cat') replaced with a much heavier open-tuned rhythm guitar
Midnight Rambler - Taylor removed during parts of the slow, middle piece. Probably due to tuning problems / tuning up
Little Queenie - Taylors main rhythm guitar replaced by Richards
Honky Tonk Woman – Taylor’s rhythm guitar replaced in the solo section

Mathijs

Re: And another guitar overdub on Ya-Ya's
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: July 1, 2015 12:01

When I listen to the originals I'm afraid this is only the top of the iceberg. "Ya ya's" is almost a completely different album.

Posted by: johnh ()
Date: July 1, 2015 12:07

Hi, is there a recommended soundboard from this tour, any recordings I have heard aren't great
cheers
john

Date: July 1, 2015 12:30

It was their first tour with big PAs. Hence we have to settle with good audience tapes.

Posted by: midimannz ()
Date: July 1, 2015 12:31

Spoiler alert! It took me 45 years to learn this? My fav album of all time is a fraud?

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: July 1, 2015 16:52

Couldnt care less...

love the '69 tour. ..the best!

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: July 1, 2015 16:58

Love your post Mathijs, really do

.. You pirate, senior bootleg-master, you say that like "other one for the road", you enjoy the it, like big game fishing..

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 19:57

Mathijs
Just found another guitar overdub on Ya-Ya's...During Keith's solo on Honky Tonk Women, Taylor's counter rhythm guitar is removed and replaced by Richards playing an heavy, straight forward Berry rhythm.
So now we have:

JJF - Taylor partially removed during the outro section (the E - D - C# - B parts)
Carol - Taylor's main rhythm part, overdubbed by Richards. Taylor's counter turn-arounds still present
Stray Cat - Richards standard tuned rhythm guitar during the verses ('oh yeah, you're a strange stray cat') replaced with a much heavier open-tuned rhythm guitar
Midnight Rambler - Taylor removed during parts of the slow, middle piece. Probably due to tuning problems / tuning up

Mathijs

who cares

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: July 1, 2015 20:14

The Joker

.. You pirate, senior bootleg-master, you say that like "other one for the road", you enjoy the it, like big game fishing..

Indeed. Thanks, Mathijs. thumbs up

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 1, 2015 20:16

Cristiano Radtke
The Joker

thumbs up

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 1, 2015 20:17

Fascinating - thanks Mathijs

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: July 1, 2015 20:23

Turner68
Cristiano Radtke
The Joker

thumbs up

thumbs up

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 1, 2015 20:39

It doesn't reduce my enjoyment one bit, of maybe my second favorite best live album of all time. (Band of Gypsys is my first, and yes, it has edits.)

I have the bootleg Liver Than You'll Ever Be from Oakland and it sucks. It's also the impetus for the Stones releasing their own version of a live album.

Posted by: keefriffhards ()
Date: July 1, 2015 23:18

AND IT SOUNDS BRILLIANT !!

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: July 1, 2015 23:25

It is a great live album also with some studio works. Also waiting for Columbus of little feat has got a lot of overdubs and it is brilliant

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: July 1, 2015 23:29

Mathijs

So now we have:

Mathijs

I think it's great! Keef discovered early on that Taylor would add fluidity to the the band's sound but not density. Hence the overdubs he did.

And the "in-standard" licks replaced by "open-G" fat licks is an excellent idea.

Now you know why you'll never find a 1969 boot where the band sounds as exciting as on GYYO (though Detroit comes close imo) : overdubs!

Thx Mathijs!

PS : now I'd like to know if the circulated SB tapes from 72/73 (Philie Bruxellles) are raw or already overdubbed. Someone posted that he witnessed MJ redo some vocals for the 1973 KBFM tapes. That was (iirc) in NYC in 1974.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: July 1, 2015 23:42

dcba
Mathijs

So now we have:

Mathijs

I think it's great! Keef discovered early on that Taylor would add fluidity to the the band's sound but not density. Hence the overdubs he did.

And the "in-standard" licks replaced by "open-G" fat licks is an excellent idea.

Now you know why you'll never find a 1969 boot where the band sounds as exciting as on GYYO (though Detroit comes close imo) : overdubs!

Thx Mathijs!

PS : now I'd like to know if the circulated SB tapes from 72/73 (Philie Bruxellles) are raw or already overdubbed. Someone posted that he witnessed MJ redo some vocals for the 1973 KBFM tapes. That was (iirc) in NYC in 1974.

Of course this is pure nonsense. In the first place since we simply can't coumpare, and secondly since there's no soundboard recording from the 69 tour except Ya Ya's. Oakland is no soundboard and besides it's from the beginning of the tour and we all know the performances developed during the tour, as we can hear f.i. as for Sympathy FTD.

Matthijs is stating this all but I don't know where he got his wisdom from.

As for the soundboards from the 72 and 73 tours (Australia included), there are enough without any overdubs and they all sound great (though the audio is of course quite rough indeed).

Date: July 1, 2015 23:50

Does anybody know if Keith or other band members also wiped/dubbed their tracks on YAYa's? DP?

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 00:05

kleermaker

Of course this is pure nonsense. In the first place since we simply can't coumpare, and secondly since there's no soundboard recording from the 69 tour except Ya Ya's. Oakland is no soundboard and besides it's from the beginning of the tour and we all know the performances developed during the tour, as we can hear f.i. as for Sympathy FTD.

What part of this is nonsense? Are you saying that Ya Ya's has NO overdubs? What exactly are you saying? I don't understand. You have seen this, right? -

[www.rollingstonesnet.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 2, 2015 00:15

shawnriffhard1
kleermaker

What part of this is nonsense? Are you saying that Ya Ya's has NO overdubs? What exactly are you saying? I don't understand. You have seen this, right? -

I can only imagine someone is comparing Ya Ya's to bootleg recordings of the shows to accurately determine which parts were likely overdubbed. In some cases it's probably pretty obvious. I tend to trust the people studying the recordings. Not really sure what kleerie is calling nonsense either. confused smiley

Perhaps Mathijs can weight in on his methods.

Date: July 2, 2015 00:19

Naturalust
shawnriffhard1
kleermaker

I can only imagine someone is comparing Ya Ya's to bootleg recordings of the shows to accurately determine which parts were likely overdubbed. In some cases it's probably pretty obvious. I tend to trust the people studying the recordings. Not really sure what kleerie is calling nonsense either. confused smiley

I'm afraid he will only comment on Taylor's mediocre rhythm skills smiling smiley

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 2, 2015 00:30

Glad Sympathy Of The Devil is not on the list grinning smiley the greatest collaboration of MickT and Keith...........

I don't mind the overdubs by any guitarist but a overdub by another confused smiley........

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: July 2, 2015 00:32

kleermaker
dcba
Mathijs

So now we have:

Mathijs

Thx Mathijs!

As for the soundboards from the 72 and 73 tours (Australia included), there are enough without any overdubs and they all sound great (though the audio is of course quite rough indeed).

It's not the overdubs he's looking for it's you Kleerie...........

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 00:43

Naturalust
shawnriffhard1
kleermaker

It wouldn't surprise me if he figured it out by realizing that the rhythm part during keith's solo was played with a guitar in open G tuning. It would be very hard to *prove* that Keith was playing the overdub since in theory Taylor could have played an overdub. But hopefully he will tell us.

I think it's ok that Keith was covering for Taylor's rhythm skills, it's what band mates are supposed to do - cover for one another. Not quit and then complain for 40 years.

Date: July 2, 2015 01:42

Turner68

I think it's ok that Keith was covering for Taylor's rhythm skills, it's what band mates are supposed to do - cover for one another. Not quit and then complain for 40 years.

Taylor could have done it himself if needed, he was perfectly competent.

Btw, have you served? cool smiley

Date: July 2, 2015 02:08

LuxuryStones
Does anybody know if Keith or other band members also wiped/dubbed their tracks on YAYa's? DP?

According to Mathijs Keith overdubbed parts of his rhythm track on SCB. I'm not quite convinced, but will listen, as that particular part sounds fatter snd fuller.

But, if memory serves, it sounds fuller on the bootlegs, too. Will check.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 2, 2015 02:17

The chunky guitar rhythm at the intro and just before "Meanwhile, I'm still thinking..." in Queenie is masterful, overdubbed or not. The whole song is perfect. Charlie starts off time, which almost sounds like a mistake at first, then you realize it is building the tension. His crashes on the "Go, Go, Go" are perfect, his stops at the guitar break intro are all genius. I guess he must have overdubbed also.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 02:18 by bleedingman.

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: July 2, 2015 03:21

Stones50
Mathijs
So now we have:

Mathijs

who cares

I do. Being a guitarist, I find this interesting.

Thank you Mathijs!!!

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: July 2, 2015 10:31

MingSubu
Stones50
Mathijs
So now we have:

Mathijs

who cares

Thank you Mathijs!!!

Is the Taylor rhythm guitar on Live With Me originally? It´s so raunchy, edgy and rocking on GYYYO and so soft and clean on all the 1971 Versions.

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: July 2, 2015 10:43

MingSubu
Stones50
Mathijs
So now we have:

Mathijs

who cares

Thank you Mathijs!!!

Why can´t the overdubbed rhythm parts of Taylor, especcially on Carol and Queenie, not be overdubbed by Taylor? I think he plays a very good Berry rhythm guitar on Let It Rock (Leeds and Marquee) and Star STar (Brüssel).

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2167
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home