Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 20
Re: Sticky Fingers Live (Fonda Theatre 2015) officially on i-tunes
Posted by: Muddyw ()
Date: July 1, 2015 18:42

Would love to buy this live album, but the one thing on iTunes I can't stand is the limit on payment methods. Here in The Netherlands we are used to pay by bank immediately (IDEAL). Mayby it is possible with the Click And Buy payment method, but then again that would be a detour!

Hate it when everything is about creditcards!

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: July 1, 2015 18:46

I must be the only person who is not blown away by this release. Way too bass-heavy in the mix. Overall a good performance, especially the slow tracks, but I can't see myself going back to it again any time soon.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: July 1, 2015 18:53

Muddyw
Would love to buy this live album, but the one thing on iTunes I can't stand is the limit on payment methods. Here in The Netherlands we are used to pay by bank immediately (IDEAL). Mayby it is possible with the Click And Buy payment method, but then again that would be a detour!

Are debit cards (a.k.a. check cards) not used in The Netherlands? I'm pretty sure I have mine set up with iTunes purchases. My card says VISA, and even if run as credit, my bank account is charged directly.

Posted by: SharksWillCry ()
Date: July 1, 2015 18:58

MrThompsonWooft
I just want to buy it on CD.

Maybe burning the thing to a CD as a temporary bridge to owning the pressed product might be an option. We are certainly getting this much earlier this way. I will definitely pick it up on vinyl (if that happens).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-01 18:59 by SharksWillCry.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 1, 2015 19:03

flacnvinyl
I must be the only person who is not blown away by this release. Way too bass-heavy in the mix. Overall a good performance, especially the slow tracks, but I can't see myself going back to it again any time soon.

When you say bass heavy are you referring to Darryl or the low end on the guitars or both? It seems the overall guitar sound on this tour is more low end than in the past. Seems to work for the live shows, I sure thought they sounded good, no one has mentioned Ronnie's thin tone at all!

Did Bob Clearmountain mix this release?

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 1, 2015 19:10

Muddyw

Would love to buy this live album, but the one thing on iTunes I can't stand is the limit on payment methods. Here in The Netherlands we are used to pay by bank immediately (IDEAL). Mayby it is possible with the Click And Buy payment method, but then again that would be a detour! Hate it when everything is about creditcards!

Maybe it's worth to buy a iTunes Gift Card - several times a year you can buy in Germany the iTunes Gift Cards with 20 percent rebate in Supermarkets. The 'Sticky Fingers Live' Album has costed me 6.39€ with it. Beside the Credit Card or the iTunes Gift Card, 'clickandbuy' is a further payment method. There's also a possibility to specify 'No' payment method (e.g. for free stuff). You can check the payment methods in your iTunes account settings.

Date: July 1, 2015 19:15

SharksWillCry
Muddyw

Are debit cards (a.k.a. check cards) not used in The Netherlands? I'm pretty sure I have mine set up with iTunes purchases. My card says VISA, and even if run as credit, my bank account is charged directly.

Yes, those are also called creditcards here. I can get a creditcard from my bank, but not for free. I have a normal bankcard with which I can pay everywhere and get money from an ATM. But I cannot pay with it on foreign websites. For our domestic websites we have a payment system called IDEAL with which you don't need a card to pay. After a redirection to my bankaccount I just log in for approval of payment.

I didn't need a creditcard before. So just to get one only to buy the Sticky Fingers Live album... ? ;-)

Date: July 1, 2015 19:16

Irix
Muddyw

Would love to buy this live album, but the one thing on iTunes I can't stand is the limit on payment methods. Here in The Netherlands we are used to pay by bank immediately (IDEAL). Mayby it is possible with the Click And Buy payment method, but then again that would be a detour! Hate it when everything is about creditcards!

Maybe it's worth to buy a iTunes Gift Card - several times a year you can buy in Germany the iTunes Gift Cards with 20 percent rebate in Supermarkets. The 'Sticky Fingers Live' Album has costed me 6.39€ with it. Beside the Credit Card or the iTunes Gift Card, 'clickandbuy' is a further payment method. There's also a possibility to specify 'No' payment method (e.g. for free stuff). You can check the payment methods in your iTunes account settings.

Thanks, that would be an idea!

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 1, 2015 20:57

bitusa2012
24FPS
I have a feeling this won't hold up under repeated listenings.

Played it about 15 times to date...gets better every time. Suggest you actually give it a listen and ... time. Really, there's nothing wrong with it.

Would you have prefered a 'live' record polished and 'replayed' in the studio ala The Eagles, or even Ya-Yas with its overdubs (and if I am not wrong - that record HAS Taylor on it!) or just a raw, genuine, well played and sung momento of a live performance, small warts and all, in a small venue of a GREAT LP?

No, no, I'll have to give it a fair listen. My ears have become so prejudiced against the current lineup that I'll have to get over myself. If they can still pull a magic night out of their ass from time to time I have to appreciate it. I noticed that Darryl pretty much stayed to the way Bitch is supposed to sound on bass.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: July 1, 2015 23:44

midimannz
I feel Ronnie has used great 'tone' settings on this recording, and a nice fluid way to play. This is beautiful .....

Nice post - I am with you.

Posted by: Tonstone ()
Date: July 2, 2015 00:02

Just listened through for the 2nd time - This is wonderful to my ears - Brickwalled ? - Stonewalled ? - well this @#$%& rocks.If you can tell of a better performance from 2000 on then I would love to know and why.When I heard this I was almost having hair stand on the back of my neck. I never thought I would hear this as good again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 06:14 by Tonstone.

Date: July 2, 2015 00:28

Naturalust
flacnvinyl

When you say bass heavy are you referring to Darryl or the low end on the guitars or both? It seems the overall guitar sound on this tour is more low end than in the past. Seems to work for the live shows, I sure thought they sounded good, no one has mentioned Ronnie's thin tone at all!

I mean that Darryl is up too high in the mix. Due to the mixing and mastering this means that when Darryl is playing something heavy and Mick is singing, those two 'instruments' cause the snare to disappear from the mix. Listening to Brown Sugar was maddening. The snare is inaudible whenever Jagger is singing and Darryl is playing.

Bottom line Darryl is too loud. This is the same problem as Light The Fuse from 2005. Fantastic performance, Darryl so loud it is impossible for me to enjoy.

Date: July 2, 2015 00:39

flacnvinyl
Naturalust
flacnvinyl

I mean that Darryl is up too high in the mix. Due to the mixing and mastering this means that when Darryl is playing something heavy and Mick is singing, those two 'instruments' cause the snare to disappear from the mix. Listening to Brown Sugar was maddening. The snare is inaudible whenever Jagger is sithinging and Darryl is playing.

Bottom line Darryl is too loud. This is the same problem as Light The Fuse from 2005. Fantastic performance, Darryl so loud it is impossible for me to enjoy.

I noticed similar instances of Charlie disappearing in the mix during the live show. Perhaps this is the new Stones sound. winking smiley

As you suggest and probably well know, this is also the result of brickwalled mastering (and mixing). Snare hits are often the loudest content and therefore limit the amount the whole track can be turned up. I'm surprised Mick allowed this to pass since he is a big "snare has to crack" guy. Thanks for pointing this out Drake. Perhaps it will help some of the non believers here to understand the importance of dynamic range.

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: July 2, 2015 00:41

spinning smiley sticking its tongue outAll thoughts/things a side. I like the cover (kiss/lick my left buttock)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 00:47 by RipThisBone.

Date: July 2, 2015 02:00

Naturalust
flacnvinyl
Naturalust
flacnvinyl

I mean that Darryl is up too high in the mix. Due to the mixing and mastering this means that when Darryl is playing something heavy and Mick is singing, those two 'instruments' cause the snare to disappear from the mix. Listening to Brown Sugar was maddening. The snare is inaudible whenever Jagger is sithinging and Darryl is playing.

I noticed similar instances of Charlie disappearing in the mix during the live show. Perhaps this is the new Stones sound. winking smiley

As you suggest and probably well know, this is also the result of brickwalled mastering (and mixing). Snare hits are often the loudest content and therefore limit the amount the whole track can be turned up. I'm surprised Mick allowed this to pass since he is a big "snare has to crack" guy. Thanks for pointing this out Drake. Perhaps it will help some of the non believers here to understand the importance of dynamic range.

EXACTLY. I think most people really don't care though. A great comparison is to listen to Still Life and then the official Hampton 81 release. Hampton has louder bass and the whole mix fights itself due to heavy compression. Guitars are also thinner. Still Life, on the other hand only sounds better the louder you turn it up, because of dynamic range.

The Fonda gig is so dang compressed it is impossible for me to enjoy. Each instrument is fighting itself. There are plenty of other things too... like the "SUGAR!!!" backup stuff on Brown Sugar. During that part the guitars should just be blazing away with backup singers distant in the mix. Instead, bass and vocals are heavy in the mix, and guitars are fighting to be heard.

On the positive, the performance is solid. I think I'd enjoy it quite a bit more if it weren't for the loudness war. Who knows what the original mix sounded like. It might have been good initially.

My thought is that Jagger has given the green light for Darryl's bass to take up a wider area of the soundscape in order to compensate for any bum notes or lack of playing. I'd far rather he be mixed at the right volume. The problem is NOT Darryl. He's great. The problem is the mix. If anyone needs confirmation they can just listen to The Last Time for the Newark PPV gig. Darryl is louder than the whole band. Sound guy on that gig had NO idea how to mix this band.

If only their FOH engineer was on the console for this release.

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 2, 2015 02:10

flacnvinyl
EXACTLY. I think most people really don't care though. A great comparison is to listen to Still Life and then the official Hampton 81 release. Hampton has louder bass and the whole mix fights itself due to heavy compression. Guitars are also thinner. Still Life, on the other hand only sounds better the louder you turn it up, because of dynamic range.
I believe you are referring to 1984 yellow W.German target or to 1986 CBS Japanese CDs. Because 2009 remaster is a different creature winking smiley

Date: July 2, 2015 02:12

The vinyl will give you the show you want, Drake smiling smiley

We'll have take this for an appetizer. It is compressed. But the sound of the individual instruments is an improvement, imo. Compared to the digital Hyde Park Live, this is pure joy to listen to.

Date: July 2, 2015 02:40

I agree with you on that DP. I will definitely await the vinyl. Again, the slow songs like Sister Morphine and I Got The Blues, sound great.

Regarding Still Life, I am just comparing the old original vinyl release to the Hampton 81 recent re-release. Just the modern 'master the heck out of this thing so that people will bad sound systems hear the bass' technique.

Date: July 2, 2015 02:43

DandelionPowderman

We'll have take this for an appetizer. It is compressed. But the sound of the individual instruments is an improvement, imo. Compared to the digital Hyde Park Live, this is pure joy to listen to.

An improvement over what? This is the first any of us have heard it besides the people at the show. I'm hoping not just the vinyl but the CD or DVD will address the compression issue too. Afterall this was mixed for iTunes and digital listening so I've heard. winking smiley

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 03:33

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

An improvement over what? This is the first any of us have heard it besides the people at the show. I'm hoping not just the vinyl but the CD or DVD will address the compression issue too. Afterall this was mixed for iTunes and digital listening so I've heard. winking smiley

Like I've said earlier, this download sounds way better than the show did in person. Unless you were standing dead center, it's going to. Plus they can kill the sounds of the audience when they mix it. When you're there, no luck. Yeah, it's great to be there and I know if I had not got in I would wish I did, but I can play this over and over. I'm pretty sure the DVD release is not going to have much of the Fonda on it. It's a documentary, not a concert DVD.

Date: July 2, 2015 03:45

roller99
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Like I've said earlier, this download sounds way better than the show did in person. Unless you were standing dead center, it's going to. Plus they can kill the sounds of the audience when they mix it. When you're there, no luck. Yeah, it's great to be there and I know if I had not got in I would wish I did, but I can play this over and over. I'm pretty sure the DVD release is not going to have much of the Fonda on it. It's a documentary, not a concert DVD.

Sounds about right, thanks. Bob Clearmountain is known for making all the instruments really audible and I would expect any mix done from multitracks to sound better than most live shows.

I believe you about the SF documentary DVD but I would still like to believe this SF Live release will eventually be released on a hard copy format like vinyl. Maybe not since the whole industry is moving toward downloads and streaming, guess we'll see.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 07:01

SF live will be released on vinyl. No band would miss an opportunity to sell more stuff...

Date: July 2, 2015 11:26

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman

Over some of the other digital releases, like Hyde Park Live.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: July 2, 2015 15:14

Any idea when the real dvd.cd will be released....
my guess is beginning of november, at the start of the south american leg
Jeroen

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: July 2, 2015 15:18

Hmmmm...Only going from some snippets on YT but Jagger doesn't sound so good on this. Musically, not much difference between this and Sweet Summer Sun. Whoever said this was better than Stones in the early '70s...well I can't hear that.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 2, 2015 15:36

Quite an ok show, even though it is reworked in places.

Mathijs

Date: July 2, 2015 15:50

Mathijs
Quite an ok show, even though it is reworked in places.

Mathijs

Reworked? Something besides a few pitch corrections to Micks vocals and the normal mixing treatment?

Posted by: powerage78 ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:40

So true and obvious Drake, THE Rolling Stones syndrom since 1998...

Invasive backing vocals, 2 keyboardS now, to compensate lack of guitar playing in the mix.

drake

The Fonda gig is so dang compressed it is impossible for me to enjoy. Each instrument is fighting itself. There are plenty of other things too... like the "SUGAR!!!" backup stuff on Brown Sugar. During that part the guitars should just be blazing away with backup singers distant in the mix. Instead, bass and vocals are heavy in the mix, and guitars are fighting to be heard.

On the positive, the performance is solid. I think I'd enjoy it quite a bit more if it weren't for the loudness war. Who knows what the original mix sounded like. It might have been good initially.

My thought is that Jagger has given the green light for Darryl's bass to take up a wider area of the soundscape in order to compensate for any bum notes or lack of playing. I'd far rather he be mixed at the right volume. The problem is NOT Darryl. He's great. The problem is the mix. If anyone needs confirmation they can just listen to The Last Time for the Newark PPV gig. Darryl is louder than the whole band. Sound guy on that gig had NO idea how to mix this band.

I'm just a Bad Boy Boogie

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 19:42 by powerage78.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: July 2, 2015 20:06

roller99

I wish they would have killed the sound of the person screaming when Keith starts YGM. Maybe they spliced her in like the "Paint it Black, you devil" girl on Ya-Ya's but it's really obnoxious, at least to me. I can totally relate though, I might have screamed a few times myself had I been there.

Date: July 2, 2015 20:19

powerage78
So true and obvious Drake, THE Rolling Stones syndrom since 1998...

Invasive backing vocals, 2 keyboardS now, to compensate lack of guitar playing in the mix.

drake

Do you think this release is light on guitars? CYHMK, S, BS, SM, YGM, B?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...89101112131415161718...LastNext
Current Page: 13 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1641
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home