Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20
Re: Sticky Fingers Live (Fonda Theatre 2015) officially on i-tunes
Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: July 4, 2015 18:12

Turner68
DandelionPowderman
"In the United States, the classic rock format features music ranging generally from the late 1960s to the late 1980s, primarily focusing on commercially successful hard rock popularized in the 1970s".

That last line is essential here. Blues-based bands and Beatles has nothing to do with the musical definition of classic rock, no matter how many hits they had or if americans choose to melt-pot hits of other genres into the mix here and call everything classic rock.

Pink Floyd???

Classic rock is rock that started with the Beatles and ended with Punk/New wave.
To say that Led Zeppelin is not classic rock is... um.. new.

The Who -> classic rock
Elvis Costello -> not
The Kinks -> classic rock
The Clash -> not
Jimi Hendrix ->classic rock
Motley Crue -> not
Aerosmith -> classic rock
Joy Division -> not

etc.

Perfect!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-04 18:13 by More Hot Rocks.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: July 4, 2015 18:16

DandelionPowderman
"In the United States, the classic rock format features music ranging generally from the late 1960s to the late 1980s, primarily focusing on commercially successful hard rock popularized in the 1970s".

That last line is essential here. Blues-based bands and Beatles has nothing to do with the musical definition of classic rock, no matter how many hits they had or if americans choose to melt-pot hits of other genres into the mix here and call everything classic rock.

Pink Floyd???

Late 80's?.....um no..stopped in the late 70's just before punk

Posted by: Testify ()
Date: July 4, 2015 21:59

Irix
Testify

I'm going crazy, I was able to listen to previews, but I can not download the entire album, I may have a problem on credit card...

Were you able to buy the Album, meaning the purchase was successful but the download is a problem?
I can not understand! Every time I try to buy the operation fails!

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: July 5, 2015 03:39

flacnvinyl
LeonidP
bitusa2012
Still Life sounded, and still does to me, the worst live record I have ever heard ANYONE officially release....
I agree ... I had the hampton show on vinyl before Still Life was ever released and it was/is awesome. It sounds fantastic. Still Life was a terrible disappointment to me, after having heard the bootleg.

You guys are brutal. I was talking about dynamic range.

So, who cares what you were talking about? I was talking to him about how poor Still Life sounds.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: July 5, 2015 04:01

LeonidP
flacnvinyl
LeonidP
bitusa2012
Still Life sounded, and still does to me, the worst live record I have ever heard ANYONE officially release....
I agree ... I had the hampton show on vinyl before Still Life was ever released and it was/is awesome. It sounds fantastic. Still Life was a terrible disappointment to me, after having heard the bootleg.

So, who cares what you were talking about? I was talking to him about how poor Still Life sounds.

I certainly do, for one.

If you consult what I've posted below, you'll see flacnvinyl brought Still Life into the discussion some time ago.

It's always worth reading the context of a thread before wading in smiling smiley.

flacnvinyl
Naturalust
flacnvinyl
Naturalust
flacnvinyl
I must be the only person who is not blown away by this release. Way too bass-heavy in the mix. Overall a good performance, especially the slow tracks, but I can't see myself going back to it again any time soon.

When you say bass heavy are you referring to Darryl or the low end on the guitars or both? It seems the overall guitar sound on this tour is more low end than in the past. Seems to work for the live shows, I sure thought they sounded good, no one has mentioned Ronnie's thin tone at all!

Did Bob Clearmountain mix this release?

I mean that Darryl is up too high in the mix. Due to the mixing and mastering this means that when Darryl is playing something heavy and Mick is singing, those two 'instruments' cause the snare to disappear from the mix. Listening to Brown Sugar was maddening. The snare is inaudible whenever Jagger is sithinging and Darryl is playing.

Bottom line Darryl is too loud. This is the same problem as Light The Fuse from 2005. Fantastic performance, Darryl so loud it is impossible for me to enjoy.

I noticed similar instances of Charlie disappearing in the mix during the live show. Perhaps this is the new Stones sound. winking smiley

As you suggest and probably well know, this is also the result of brickwalled mastering (and mixing). Snare hits are often the loudest content and therefore limit the amount the whole track can be turned up. I'm surprised Mick allowed this to pass since he is a big "snare has to crack" guy. Thanks for pointing this out Drake. Perhaps it will help some of the non believers here to understand the importance of dynamic range.

EXACTLY. I think most people really don't care though. A great comparison is to listen to Still Life and then the official Hampton 81 release. Hampton has louder bass and the whole mix fights itself due to heavy compression. Guitars are also thinner. Still Life, on the other hand only sounds better the louder you turn it up, because of dynamic range.

The Fonda gig is so dang compressed it is impossible for me to enjoy. Each instrument is fighting itself. There are plenty of other things too... like the "SUGAR!!!" backup stuff on Brown Sugar. During that part the guitars should just be blazing away with backup singers distant in the mix. Instead, bass and vocals are heavy in the mix, and guitars are fighting to be heard.

On the positive, the performance is solid. I think I'd enjoy it quite a bit more if it weren't for the loudness war. Who knows what the original mix sounded like. It might have been good initially.

My thought is that Jagger has given the green light for Darryl's bass to take up a wider area of the soundscape in order to compensate for any bum notes or lack of playing. I'd far rather he be mixed at the right volume. The problem is NOT Darryl. He's great. The problem is the mix. If anyone needs confirmation they can just listen to The Last Time for the Newark PPV gig. Darryl is louder than the whole band. Sound guy on that gig had NO idea how to mix this band.

If only their FOH engineer was on the console for this release.

Olly.

Date: July 5, 2015 04:11

Olly

If you consult what I've posted below, you'll see flacnvinyl brought Still Life into the discussion some time ago.

Again, so what? I didn't know it was a rule that we couldn't be having our own discussion about Still Life. And this thread is about Sticky Live, why would I go thru the entire thing to look for comments about Still Life? Jes*s Chr1st

Date: July 5, 2015 04:16

LeonidP
Olly

Again, so what? I didn't know it was a rule that we couldn't be having our own discussion about Still Life. And this thread is about Sticky Live, why would I go thru the entire thing to look for comments about Still Life? Jes*s Chr1st

The more pertinent question is: why would you make an unprovoked, offensive comment regarding another member of the site?

Olly.

Date: July 5, 2015 04:21

Olly
LeonidP
Olly

The more pertinent question is: why would you make an unprovoked, offensive comment regarding another member of the site?

Not sure where that happened, but okay?

Date: July 5, 2015 04:29

LeonidP
Olly
LeonidP
Olly

See below, highlighted.

As for myself, I simply pointed out the relevance the comment you criticised had to the discussion.

LeonidP
flacnvinyl
LeonidP
bitusa2012

Olly.

Date: July 5, 2015 07:11

Olly
LeonidP
Olly
LeonidP
Olly

See below, highlighted.

As for myself, I simply pointed out the relevance the comment you criticised had to the discussion.

LeonidP
flacnvinyl
LeonidP
bitusa2012

You said 'unprovoked' ... i guess you dismiss his comment, which was clearly provoking.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: July 5, 2015 15:05

liddas
In Got the Blues I LOVE Ronnie's I'd rather go blind "trillo" (i.e. 2.00) and Keith's "Cry To Me" licks (2.40) - Vintage beauty!

C

That's the one that keeps calling me back - vintage beauty indeed

Posted by: Irix ()
Date: July 5, 2015 15:50

Testify

Dunno how to help, but here are the iTunes payment methods: [support.apple.com] .

Maybe a iTunes Gift Card helps: [store.apple.com] .

Posted by: maumau ()
Date: July 5, 2015 21:58

so i surrendered smiling smiley
two thoughts about this release

1) anyone who says that the "mastered for itunes" makes no difference is deaf
2) anyone who says that this band does not kick ass is deaf

from sister morphine on listening to this has been a constant shiver down the spine in spite of the dull brickwalling

i love the rolling stones

Date: July 5, 2015 23:02

maumau

from sister morphine on listening to this has been a constant shiver down the spine in spite of the dull brickwalling

Listening to this now, through my tablet and Bose Soundlink Mini bluetooth speaker. Its my souvienier as I am not attending this tour. I purchased it but think it is a cheap marketing gimmick, they should have provided additional tracks from stadium shows as well. I am not saying I will not enjoy it but at least do like Hyde Park Live from 2 years ago.

I like Still Life as it was the 2nd and 3rd cassette I got from them (along with Hot Rocks that day).To this day I am convinced the CBS cassette mix was more authentic and captured the spirit of the performance. I find the bootleg from 82 okay but not very inspiring.

Also, what to people think of Flashpoint vs. the Tokyo Dome bootleg? Is it a similar comparison between the 82' bootleg/still life/hampton.

Date: July 5, 2015 23:05

I am digging Moonlight Mile. I might get a Bose soundbar just to listen to this.
I still think the disc is a cheap marketing ploy in a way, but fantastic.

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 5, 2015 23:15

[email protected]
Listening to this now, through my tablet and Bose Soundlink Mini bluetooth speaker. Its my souvienier as I am not attending this tour. I purchased it but think it is a cheap marketing gimmick, they should have provided additional tracks from stadium shows as well.

But don't you won't the complete show instead of some stadium bonus-tracks? We will for sure get the whole thing on video later on.
I will enjoy the hell out of these remaining tracks from Fonda:

Start Me Up
When The Whip Comes Down
All Down The Line
Rock Me Baby
Jumping Jack Flash
I Can't Turn You Loose

This Itunes release feels very incomplete.
On the other side both ''Bitch'' and ''Moonlight Mile'' would have been nice to have in better versions from the stadium shows, but I would rather take some bonus songs from the 2015 rehearsals in addition to the full Fonda show.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 5, 2015 23:22

yeababyyea
[email protected]
Listening to this now, through my tablet and Bose Soundlink Mini bluetooth speaker. Its my souvienier as I am not attending this tour. I purchased it but think it is a cheap marketing gimmick, they should have provided additional tracks from stadium shows as well.

But don't you won't the complete show instead of some stadium bonus-tracks? We will for sure get the whole thing on video later on.

Start Me Up
When The Whip Comes Down
All Down The Line
Rock Me Baby
Jumping Jack Flash
I Can't Turn You Loose

On the other side both ''Bitch'' and ''Moonlight Mile'' would have been nice to have in better versions from the stadium shows, but I would rather take some bonus songs from the 2015 rehearsals in addition to the full Fonda show.

Totally agree and it makes sense both in term of releasing the SF tracks as a nice little warmup package and having something to sweeten the pot for a future Fonda show/Zip Code Tour release later on. They've got marketing guys who know our minds and spending habits better than us! We're helpless to their powerful manipulations...smoking smiley

Date: July 5, 2015 23:47

yeababyyea
[email protected]

Start Me Up
When The Whip Comes Down
All Down The Line
Rock Me Baby
Jumping Jack Flash
I Can't Turn You Loose

completely disagree
this release make sense just because it is not a collection of best performances of each song but because it's that gig. also it makes sense the packaging of the sticky songs though of course it would have been great to have the whole gig. but i dont miss anything here but a good dynamics. this is a club show mastered as if it was a big arena. band is great

Posted by: yeababyyea ()
Date: July 5, 2015 23:53

maumau
yeababyyea
[email protected]

Start Me Up
When The Whip Comes Down
All Down The Line
Rock Me Baby
Jumping Jack Flash
I Can't Turn You Loose

completely disagree

What are disagreeing with? That it would be great to have the full show? Or that this release feels incomplete? I can't see how anyone would think this release feels complete...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-05 23:55 by yeababyyea.

Date: July 6, 2015 00:06

yeababyyea
maumau
yeababyyea
[email protected]

Start Me Up
When The Whip Comes Down
All Down The Line
Rock Me Baby
Jumping Jack Flash
I Can't Turn You Loose

completely disagree

What are disagreeing with? That it would be great to have the full show? Or that this release feels incomplete? I can't see how anyone would think this release feels complete...

anyone who can feel and enjoy a good record as it is and not as it could have been
i dont feel it is uncomplete
thing that i dont like it is not what there is not on the record but something there is: the sound of sweet summer sun...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 13:58 by maumau.

Date: July 6, 2015 03:27

I agreee with you yeayea- now that I see the other 6 songs it would have made a great 15-16 song product. I am not knocking the quality of the product anyone- but given that a good portion of the show is released, why not just do everything? Its a good item for those of us not going this year.

Date: July 6, 2015 13:45

Testify

For those from Greece, the Capital Control don't allow purchases with Credit Card on iTunes at the moment: [gizmodo.com] .

Maybe a iTunes Gift Card (e.g. bought in the Supermarket) helps in this case ....

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 15:55

THIS IS Sticky Fingers LIVE, from THAT show. It's NOT THE Sticky Fingers SHOW.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 15:55 by bitusa2012.

Posted by: geob69 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 17:47

I don't have an Itunes account. Is there any other way to get the SF Live recording?
geob69@netzero.com

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: July 6, 2015 18:02

maumau

Lol. I think your sentiment is shared by many, certainly by me. But just to be clear, again, the "iTunes" part of the mastering isn't really the problem, just the mastering itself. There are plenty of example of other music which conforms to the "mastered for iTunes" specs which have great dynamic range. The spec name is misleading since it has very little to do with the mastering process, more to do with creating a file that will encode well.

Date: July 6, 2015 18:15

geob69

I don't have an Itunes account. Is there any other way to get the SF Live recording?

You can download iTunes: [www.apple.com] , create an account: [support.apple.com] and buy the Album with e.g. an iTunes Gift Card if you don't have/like the other iTunes payment methods: [support.apple.com] . For the playing of the files you don't need iTunes, any other Player with AAC-Support works. Or see here: [www.iorr.org] .

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-06 20:45 by Irix.

Posted by: Ronaldo ()
Date: July 6, 2015 18:28

Like many others I don't have an iTunes account. Would be really grateful if some kind Stones fan could send me the link referred to in earlier posts. Email is:
reyaxley@aol.com

Thanks
Ron

Posted by: Ronaldo ()
Date: July 6, 2015 21:34

Many thanks to Daniel for sending me the link. If I can do the same for somone else, just email me.

Posted by: geob69 ()
Date: July 6, 2015 22:11

I would be grateful for the link.
geob69@netzero.com

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: July 7, 2015 00:09

Irix
Testify

For those from Greece, the Capital Control don't allow purchases with Credit Card on iTunes at the moment: [gizmodo.com] .

Maybe a iTunes Gift Card (e.g. bought in the Supermarket) helps in this case ....

Maybe they could just get some money out from the bank and pay that way?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920Next
Current Page: 16 of 20

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1713
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home