Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Defecetive Japanese Marquee-Brussels Blu-Ray/DVDs
Posted by: jbeck57143 ()
Date: June 23, 2015 17:28

At [forums.stevehoffman.tv]:

The are reports of problems with the Japanese edition Blu-Ray discs and DVDs.

Here are some posts (or excerpts from posts) from pages 19-21 of the "Stones to release 1971 Marquee Archive" thread at the Steve Hoffman forum:

"Has anyone had problems with the Blu-Ray or DVD Japanese set Marquee / Brussels Affair?

...it seems that some have reported problems with video playback in both formats. I read something about this in Amazon.Jp and remains in doubt. Check the site of Ward Records...Here it says something about this: [ssl.shopserve.jp] "

"Just checked my copy and yes, there are interlacing bands visible on my Blu-ray from the Japanese Deluxe set..."

"According to some users appear a red and white lines with noise during playback. Ward records is offering a replacement disk but I think only for Japanese buyers."

"They won't ship international replacements? That's a bummer. I don't have audio noise and the lines aren't a particular colour, just looks like a badly deinterlaced video signal made its way into the production somewhere."

"...The problem with the Blu-Ray and DVD is real. Indeed Ward Records has confirmed in its site. So far they have offered to send a new DVD or Blu-Ray to their buyers in Japan."

"...I think the problem is somewhat limited. but with respect to replacement service dvd or blu-ray it is only for Japanese buyers. I can't give personal details about what happens with dvd or blu ray because I'm still waiting for mine. I put the information on here because I read in Amazon.Jp (and the site of Ward Records) the review of japanese customers."

I don't know if this is what they mean, but here is a screen shot from Dead Flowers, at about 5 min 28 sec of the Japanese DVD:

[postimg.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-23 18:12 by jbeck57143.

Re: Defecetive Japanese Marquee-Brussels Blu-Ray/DVDs
Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: June 23, 2015 18:07

Those lines... I am positive there was a note about this effect on Deep Purple Live in Concert 1972/73 DVD. Something to do with audio and video interplay at high audio volumes. Can't check it now, because do not have that disc in hands.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: June 26, 2015 20:54

Hum... I also see sometimes a couple of lines around a face or something like it, some camera angles or shots have it, others not, but I think this is just in the recording image and not realy a fault of the disc, there's also no disturbing in the sound, so I'm not sure my disc has a defect. The sound is actually exellent!

And.... if I remember correctly those stripes were also sometimes in the L.A. '75 dvd and nobody complained about it.

To be 100% sure I could buy a disc here in a store in The Netherlands and if this non-Japanese discs has this smal lines too, than I know it's the recording and not the disc, but this idea sounds a little waste of money.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-26 21:07 by GJV.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: July 1, 2015 04:56

Well, I broke down and bought the SD-BluRay here in the States after having bought the Japanese version.....and sure enough, in case anyone might still be curious....the U.S. BluRay, despite having some "lines" (as previous screen grabs have shown) does not suffer from the same ghosting, interlacing issues that plague the Japanese edition. Damn. Spent a lot of money to reach that conclusion. Consolation might be that I have a "collector's item" now.....and physical CDs for 'Brussels Affair'.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: July 1, 2015 05:21

Go back to your direct seller (Amazon, or whatever). There must be a way to get defective discs replaced.

Posted by: fullbandwith ()
Date: July 1, 2015 11:36

That rippling/banding you see is Microphony. Quite often that happens with old tube cameras in high volume situation. Thats neither a masetering or tape fault, thats come from the camera.. Enjoy its retro look.
see link i found for explaination better than me.

[www.michaeldvd.com]

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: July 1, 2015 11:52

fullbandwith
That rippling/banding you see is Microphony. Quite often that happens with old tube cameras in high volume situation. Thats neither a masetering or tape fault, thats come from the camera.. Enjoy its retro look.

[www.michaeldvd.com]
That what I was thinking at the first place. Those lines are kind of natural for old video.

However, there could be another issue associated with different regions. I mean, the interlace was not done correctly for Reg.2 or the older DVD player made for the US market (Reg.1) does not support Reg.2 DVD or decode video purely, or combination of all above factors... Thus one can think the DVD (or blueray) is defective.

I remember the same interlacing issues were reported for Sweet Summer Sun. I am not mistaken the Blueray was reported to have interlacing problems in Europe, in particular, in Portugal. Somebody tested those in different FNAC stores and they all had lines etc.

Posted by: colourist ()
Date: July 1, 2015 12:52

Posted by: colourist
Date: 2015-07-01 10:37

Hi Everyone.

A little tip for all the so called 'experts' on here. Some shows are shot in PAL video not NTSC.

If you buy a Japanese or American disc of a PAL recording , you're generally buying a standards conversion to NTSC which is ALWAYS inferior. In this case the show was shot PAL 625 interlaced on 2" quad and looks great, so maybe a bad standards conversion is the issue . The horizontal lines are almost definitely microphony, which was a problem with tube cameras back in the day smiling smiley Buy the European version as its in the original recording format and set your monitoring to match ... Upressing and deinterlacing destroy your images!! End of lesson....

Forgot to mention... A lot of people involved in file preperation mess up handling interlace material these days as its all just 'a quicktime' to the inexperienced. This can result in horrific results from thing like field inversion and deinterlacing during prep!! Foe example any issues with Sweet Summer Sun would have been added at this stage as it was mastered in 1080/25p ... and don't get me started on peoples home cinema set ups

yum yum xxxx

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-01 13:06 by colourist.

Posted by: Father Ted ()
Date: July 1, 2015 13:56

fullbandwith

[www.michaeldvd.com]

The Microphony phenomenon is prevalent throughout the Live Aid DVD.

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: July 2, 2015 19:57

No, it is not Microphony. It is an additional problem. I know what you are talking about. Microphony is on all kinds of "old camera" DVDs. Grateful Dead 'Closing of Winterland' is a good example. Or 'Hampton '81'. This is more of a bandin/rippled ghosting issue that occurs with movement only, which DOES have to do specifically with the Japanese edition....as it iS NOT.....on the US edition. The banding is there on the US edition, yes.....but not this issue. Whether it is a region issue or some kind of mastering issue, I don't know.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-02 20:01 by floodonthepage.

Date: July 8, 2015 01:32

floodonthepage
. . .The banding is there on the US edition, yes.....

That's what I was wondering about-so the banding shown in the screen shot I posted at: [postimg.org] is common to all the DVDs/Blurays of this show.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: July 8, 2015 01:45

Just replaced the Blu ray with the european version.
no big deal.

Date: July 8, 2015 07:19

There are a few people at:

[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

that don't see any banding on their US Dvds or the Australian Blu-Ray

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-08 07:20 by jbeck57143.

Date: July 10, 2015 19:19

Got my replacement blu ray disc today from Japan. So now I have two of them I hope one will work correctly and I don't have to buy one from here (Europe).winking smiley

Edit: Yes! This new one plays perfectly! Great!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-07-10 23:49 by GJV.

Date: July 11, 2015 00:14

Cool! Does that mean you also don't see the banding in the screenshot at:

[postimg.org] ?

Date: July 11, 2015 00:56

I realy can't tell you. I was so focused on discovering if there were lines with every movement of Mick, Keith and the others that I didn't realy look at the backround.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: July 11, 2015 01:50

Mine had huge interlacing problems. I just bought the local Australian version for $20 and it works fine.
So annoying to have to spend more money.
My Japanese Sweet Summer Sun had the exact same problem, but I sent that back.

Date: July 11, 2015 02:36

you're entitled to get a replacement disc for free, like I got.

Posted by: jammingedward ()
Date: July 12, 2015 16:01

GJV
you're entitled to get a replacement disc for free, like I got.

I just assumed they'd send another faulty one out! Thank for the tip, I'll email cd japan.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2109
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home