Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 23 of 26
Re: Bill Wyman: The Stones Never Forgave Me For Leaving
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 31, 2015 02:43

Olly
24FPS
...I can't even think of a Rolling Stones song where Darryl Jones shines. (I'm talking about the three albums he did participate in.) He's good on Love Is Strong and You Got Me Rocking, but he's basically playing Bill's style. Once he began to get away from that, Darryl has never left an emotional imprint on a Stones song. And his stage presence in the last decade, hell, they could get any touring pro to play those parts.

That's exactly what he is.

24FPS

...Bill could play one note and add to the mood. Darryl could just noodle all night and never arrive anywhere...

Are you sure you're referring to Darryl Jones here?

Yes, exactly. There's no there in his playing. No emotion, no bottom, no consequence.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: August 1, 2015 23:05

Bill Wyman doc leads slate for former Pulse exec

EXCLUSIVE: Profile of Rolling Stones bassist leads London-based outfit’s doc slate.

Former Pulse Films head of music Jamie Clark (The Libertines: There Are No Innocent Bystanders) is to produce a documentary about Bill Wyman, the former bassist for The Rolling Stones, under the banner of his new production outfit My Accomplice.

Documentary It’s Always the Quiet Ones, made in collaboration with Wyman, will chart the highs and lows of the musician’s career and include unseen film footage and photographs captured by Wyman during his time with the Stones, who he played with from 1962 to 1993.

Ollie Murray will make his feature debut on the project, which was presented at Sheffield Doc/Fest in June and is currently in pre-production.

[www.screendaily.com]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: August 2, 2015 00:03

latebloomer
Bill Wyman doc leads slate for former Pulse exec

EXCLUSIVE: Profile of Rolling Stones bassist leads London-based outfit’s doc slate.

Former Pulse Films head of music Jamie Clark (The Libertines: There Are No Innocent Bystanders) is to produce a documentary about Bill Wyman, the former bassist for The Rolling Stones, under the banner of his new production outfit My Accomplice.

Documentary It’s Always the Quiet Ones, made in collaboration with Wyman, will chart the highs and lows of the musician’s career and include unseen film footage and photographs captured by Wyman during his time with the Stones, who he played with from 1962 to 1993.

Ollie Murray will make his feature debut on the project, which was presented at Sheffield Doc/Fest in June and is currently in pre-production.

[www.screendaily.com]

A very interesting project

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 2, 2015 00:14

Excellent. And about time as well.
I had been hoping that with the release of his sol album there might have been a TV documentary to coincide.
By the way, anyone know how it is selling?

Posted by: Rollin92 ()
Date: August 2, 2015 00:34

Some more information about the documentary, still in the production stages at the moment.

[www.olliemurray.com]

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 2, 2015 15:00

24FPS
Olly
24FPS
...I can't even think of a Rolling Stones song where Darryl Jones shines. (I'm talking about the three albums he did participate in.) He's good on Love Is Strong and You Got Me Rocking, but he's basically playing Bill's style. Once he began to get away from that, Darryl has never left an emotional imprint on a Stones song. And his stage presence in the last decade, hell, they could get any touring pro to play those parts.

That's exactly what he is.

24FPS

...Bill could play one note and add to the mood. Darryl could just noodle all night and never arrive anywhere...

Are you sure you're referring to Darryl Jones here?

Yes, exactly. There's no there in his playing. No emotion, no bottom, no consequence.

And in Ronnie's playing?

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 2, 2015 15:12

If Darryl Jones was good enough for Miles Davis, he sure can handle a Stones-tune. He plays with the Stones for 21 years, that fact answers all questions. If he wasn´t doing a good job, the Stones would have hired another bass-player ages ago. They didn´t.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 2, 2015 15:25

HMS
If Darryl Jones was good enough for Miles Davis, he sure can handle a Stones-tune. He plays with the Stones for 21 years, that fact answers all questions. If he wasn´t doing a good job, the Stones would have hired another bass-player ages ago. They didn´t.

I think the standards of the band since Wyman left are quite a bit lower than those of most people here.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: August 2, 2015 16:55

kleermaker
HMS

I think the standards of the band since Wyman left are quite a bit lower than those of most people here.

If the standards had dipped since then they would fricken rock! The standards are so high they want you to wash your hands before the show...

Date: August 2, 2015 17:16

Munichhilton
kleermaker
HMS

If the standards had dipped since then they would fricken rock! The standards are so high they want you to wash your hands before the show...

Darryl is different but I don't think deserves the abuse heaped on him...as HMS opined they could have dumped him at any point like they've done with people in the past but he's obviously serving his purpose very well.

Date: August 2, 2015 17:29

treaclefingers
Munichhilton
kleermaker
HMS

Darryl is different but I don't think deserves the abuse heaped on him...as HMS opined they could have dumped him at any point like they've done with people in the past but he's obviously serving his purpose very well.

More than serving a purpose...they're damn lucky to have Darryl...he's the world's second greatest bassist and a helluva kazoo player

Date: August 2, 2015 18:48

Who is the world´s greatest bass player?

Date: August 2, 2015 18:57

Geddy Lee of course...and a model Canadian too

Date: August 2, 2015 19:04

Munichhilton

Geddy gave up modelling in the Canadian magazines before he hit puberty...quit trying to paint him as some sort of Canadian fashion icon.

Celine is already in the pole position.

Date: August 2, 2015 19:32

treaclefingers
Munichhilton

Geddy gave up modelling in the Canadian magazines before he hit puberty...quit trying to paint him as some sort of Canadian fashion icon.

Celine is already in the pole position.

Geddy is more a beer commercial kinda guy...and don't get me started on Alex

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: August 3, 2015 07:09

HMS

Bull hockey. The Stones are just lazy. Notice they don't go out of their way to make sure Darryl is on all studio cuts. Mick Jagger even picked up the bass on ABB. They're too lazy to replace anybody around them. 'Good enough for Stones work' should be their motto these days.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 3, 2015 07:59

24FPS
HMS

Bull hockey. The Stones are just lazy. Notice they don't go out of their way to make sure Darryl is on all studio cuts. Mick Jagger even picked up the bass on ABB. They're too lazy to replace anybody around them. 'Good enough for Stones work' should be their motto these days.

i don't think it's laziness. they just value interpersonal compatibility with the band over musical prowess. it can be important when you're on the road constantly, playing the same songs over and over.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: August 3, 2015 09:55

They arent on the road constantly!
Check Dylans schedule...upwards of a 100 shows per annum since the 1980s.
Even Bill does more gigs than the Stones and he is pushing 80.

Date: August 3, 2015 11:28

Dylan and Wyman may do more concerts, but Dylan stands behind a keyboard or is sitting on a stool and Bill Wyman never ever makes a move.

Jagger is bouncing around for two hours, at his age you cant do this day-in day-out.

...They keep an unfitting bass player just because of being to lazy to look for another? Come on... The Stones may have never forgiven Bill for leaving, but you never forgave the Stones for hiring Darryl instead of breaking up, it seems.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 3, 2015 12:10

HMS
The Stones may have never forgiven Bill for leaving, but you never forgave the Stones for hiring Darryl instead of breaking up, it seems.

thumbs up

Good point, as the point made before by Turner68 that the Stones might value more a good feeling in the band than "the best virtuoso". I am guessing that people who want Bill Wyman (no virtuoso either, by the way) or Mick Taylor back, never played in a band. Also, it makes me doubt about how they deal with the people around them in their own lives. "Sorry, I just met a guy who is better in playing poker than you, so you're out", "Sorry, I know a restaurant where they cook better so I won't drop by for dinner". The Stones are not great because they are individually so good, they are not, but because together they create something special. Even now, occasionally, it comes out, and it has always been more about the rhythm than about the notes. The reason they don't make albums as good as before is because of Mick and Keith, and not because of the lack of anybody else.

Date: August 3, 2015 12:38

Your right Maxtil it's not about virtuosity and it's about feeling, speaking as a gigging musician. Darryl does a great job but I think that Bill's playing was the best fit for the band, and I don't think Darryl, despite being by far the most technically able musician up on the Stones stage, has quite added to the Stones sound and feeling like Bill did. They did lose a key part of their sound when Bill left.

I love Bill and his playing, he influenced me to learn bass, but that doesn't mean I wan't him back. I am glad that the Stones kept going and I'm glad they found Darryl to do so. As Bill said himself, once you've left something like that you can't go back, it isn't the same, and I think people are deluded if they think otherwise. The Stones have produced really magical moments since 1993.

It's down to personal preference and opinion at the end of the day. Speaking from the heart I'm a Bill man, and I will always believe that the Rhythm section was at it's best when he was a part of it.

Darryl is a pro, and at this stage that's all the Stones need. A solid, amiable player with great stage chemistry who can deliver the goods with his own spin. I don't want him to try and recreate Bill's playing style because Bill's place is secured in the Stones musical legacy, there is no doubt about that at all.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 12:41 by Rollin92.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 3, 2015 14:49

I agree completely with that.

Date: August 3, 2015 15:19

Darryl adds fine groove to their stage performances. The only time I saw Bill with the Stones was in 1990. I have to say, I like the following tours better. Not really because of Darryl´s presence of course, but he does a good job and is no copycat. Although he could easily adopt Bill´s style within three days - maybe even three hours.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 15:22 by HMS.

Date: August 3, 2015 15:33

HMS
Darryl adds fine groove to their stage performances. The only time I saw Bill with the Stones was in 1990. I have to say, I like the following tours better. Not really because of Darryl´s presence of course, but he does a good job and is no copycat. Although he could easily adopt Bill´s style within three days - maybe even three hours.

Each to their own.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 3, 2015 15:39

HMS
Who is the world´s greatest bass player?

No pun intended: Jaco Pastorius. God bless him. Charlie Watts and Darryl Jones would agree.

Date: August 3, 2015 16:43

Jaco was great, but he couldn't keep up with Neil Peart...

Date: August 3, 2015 16:54

Munichhilton

No one comes close to Jack Bruce in my opinion.

Date: August 3, 2015 16:56

Rollin92
Munichhilton

No one comes close to Jack Bruce in my opinion.

But that was open warfare...right on the stage! Three leads

Date: August 3, 2015 17:10

Munichhilton

But that was open warfare...right on the stage! Three leads

Yip I love Cream, after the Stones probably my second favourite band. Big fan of Jack's solo work as well, never got to see him live unfortunately but going to his memorial concert in October.

Date: August 3, 2015 17:10

Deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-03 17:11 by Rollin92.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1617181920212223242526Next
Current Page: 23 of 26

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1995
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home