Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: OT Jimi Hendrix fans
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 27, 2015 18:47

stanlove

.....Here is where music talk on the internet gets frustrating. You mention that some of those legends had nice things to say about Hendrix so you win the argument but you ignore that those legends had nice things to say about a lot of artists.....

There aren't winners of arguments on here or any other forum. It's not a competition. Some of us think Jimi is more important musically than you do. Big deal. It's just a matter of opinion. No one thinks we are talking about provable facts when it comes to this.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 27, 2015 18:50

Wow Stonesrule, I want to say nice story too. You're very lucky to have such an experience. You too must hold many treasures. And Naturalust, I always enjoy reading your take on things, "spot on" must be your middle name. Cheers.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 27, 2015 18:57

frankotero
Wow Stonesrule, I want to say nice story too. You're very lucky to have such an experience. You too must hold many treasures. And Naturalust, I always enjoy reading your take on things, "spot on" must be your middle name. Cheers.

Thanks Frank! Now if we can only get stonesrule to open her box of treasures for us. We are lucky to have her as a member here.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 27, 2015 19:40

Hairball
stanlove
The problem is its really not true and its just someones minority opinion.
As far as this thread is concerned, looks like you are indeed in the minority with your opposing opinion.

stanlove
It is a stretch to say that Hendrix is up there with the Beatles and Dylan in the big pictures of Rock. Its something some will claim but most know is just not true. Its tiring listening to people always building up the importance of an artist they like a lot. I am a huge Stones fans but they are not in the same level as Dylan and the Beatles, they are in the next one down and actually Hendrix like the Who and some others are in the one down from that. yes some will claim otherwise and yes they would be wrong. I don't like hyperbole. I am huge accuracy guy.

So I suppose you have secret knowledge regarding the "holy grail" of rock and roll, and whoever see's it differently would be a heretic ?
You have a right to think what you want, but to say someone is wrong who disagrees with you is closed minded at best.
When you get a chance, please tell me the criteria in which you base your infallible "accuracy" so maybe I can be enlightened to the "truth" as you know it.

I think the pecking order in rock and roll for the most part is pretty obvious. Not sure why anyone has to be told in the scheme of things Hendrix is not with Dylan,Stones, and Beatles.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 27, 2015 19:45

stanlove
I think the pecking order in rock and roll for the most part is pretty obvious. Not sure why anyone has to be told in the scheme of things Hendrix is not with Dylan,Stones, and Beatles.

The pecking order according to stanlove lol.

Turner68
stanlove

.....Here is where music talk on the internet gets frustrating. You mention that some of those legends had nice things to say about Hendrix so you win the argument but you ignore that those legends had nice things to say about a lot of artists.....

There aren't winners of arguments on here or any other forum. It's not a competition. Some of us think Jimi is more important musically than you do. Big deal. It's just a matter of opinion. No one thinks we are talking about provable facts when it comes to this.

Exactly Turner68.
Music (and all art for that matter) is subjective, and depends on one's personal feelings and perspectives regarding the validity of it all. This is not rocket science where there is an absolute wrong or right - no one's going to explode if they give the wrong answer according to some proven theory or precise calculations.

Nobody has condemned stanlove to the shithouse simply because of his opinions, but when he says 'you are wrong' regarding who I appreciate and at what level I appreciate, well in my neck of the woods that can't be taken lightly.

But then again. maybe stanlove has a point (lol). Maybe I should re-evaluate and do away with my personal feelings, freedom of thought, and freedom of expression, along with the many years of listening to and studying music. Maybe then I should uphold the beliefs of the mysterious 'higher power' of 'accuracy' according to stanlove...whatever that may be.

But then again maybe not. It has dawned on me that this stanlove character is the same poster who pooped all over the John Lennon R.I.P memorial thread simply because of his hatred for all things Lennon. I was wise enough to stay out of that trolling mess, and will now bow out of this thread gracefully to avoid any further troll poop.

Keep on trolling.........

cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-27 19:48 by Hairball.

Date: June 27, 2015 19:45

stanlove

It would be interesting to imagine a festival show with Hendrix, Dylan, The Beatles and The Stones all on the bill. Who would open the show and who would be the headliner?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: June 27, 2015 20:01

Sting does a fantastic version of Up From The Skies with Hiram Bullock and Gil Evans

That's all I got...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 27, 2015 20:09

To be blunt, I get so bored with the "haters" on board that I really think I am out of my mind when I post anything.

But I am a sucker for the true Jimi fans. Someday, we should all get together and I might be more forthcoming.

I always remember Mo Ostin, the president of Jimi's American saying to me a month after Jimi's death "What a shame. Keep in mind that his records will sell
for one more year, and then people won't think about him anymore." He knew his sales figures so I had no reason to doubt him. I got book offers but I didn't want to do one. Some thirty years later, with the horrifying stuff that
went on with his estate and the growth of Jimi's fan base, I was courted by
one of the most powerful publishers in the world. They really bamboozled me.
When I sent the finished manuscript in, my "very important" editor (he said so himself) he waited 3 months to read it. And then he called and said, "This is wonderful! But I need an orgy scene..."

Well,guess what...I never attended one, and I was furious. They did nothing
for the book when I refused my editor's brilliant idea, "Invent one!" And several other people, who never knew Jimi, were doing everything they could think of to knock the book in print. Gradually the book took on a life of its own.

I have yet to see a dollar in royalties. There went all my well-meaning plans of using the money for good causes. The hardcover is in a lot of libraries. I spent $10,000 to pay for the rights to use some then rare photos of him (and do not regret it) But when the paperback came out, the publisher decided they'd save money some printing costs if they didn't use the photos in the paperback.

I keep reading that Jimi was paid millions for his record sales. Well, he never
saw a million or anything close to it.

The music was what counted to him. And I will always feel grateful for the times when he would hand me a folder of new song lyrics, and then start playing musical ideas for every song. He was SO happy in those hours, and it's how I like to remember him. Brilliance in action.

SO...no more personal stuff.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 27, 2015 21:15

Thanks for sharing Stonesrule.........I would say......"Music is great but the Industry s-u-c-k-s"

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 27, 2015 23:04

Ha-ha, funny thing Stonesrule but today (like too many lately) I had a down on people day. But I always remember Jimi saying (in a song I can't remember now) don't let it get close to you. I know he's right but it's @#$%& hard to avoid it. Maybe I'm getting too old and cynical. But anyhow for what it's worth I really love to read some nice and interesting posts from some people here. Please don't give up, even if I do. Cheers.

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: June 28, 2015 00:30

For me, Jimi was the essence of cool. His wardrobe never went out of style, even to this day. His clothes were the flashiest, his hats seemed to be a perfect match for his personality. He had the friendliest of voices that would resonate from lower part of his throat with his unique undeniable sound. The head bands, beads, ruffles, and embroidered clothing were brilliant additions. He lived and died with the 60's all over him.

But it was his playing that locked me in. I was always impressed with his eyes closed playing. Seems he never needed to look for the spots to lay down the chords. His fingers just raced from fret to fret. Hammering, bending, vibrato, and whatever else he felt like conjuring up at the time. He seemed so into his music that I used to wonder how long it would take him to "come down" at the end of a song. Yet in an instant he was out and back to reality meanwhile I'm still buzzing trying to find my way in.

I think he taught all classic rock guitarists how to set a groove, how to lay down the heavy licks, and how to make it all happen with a three man band. Jimi was a guitar master and to this day he sets the bar for humbleness, and greatness. He never needed a big introduction, no fancy stage shows, no larger than life entry. In fact he would walk out, tune up and then take a modest introduction and just start to play. Most important Jimi Hendrix talked to his audience. He connected and brother he could play, any song, his way, whenever he pleased.

I was never able to see him due to being too young at the time, but I have many recordings including all the vinyl. I really know nothing of his personal life but often wonder what it would have like to hang out with him for a day, or a few hours. I've been curious as to how the loss of Brian Jones affected him, his interests, if he like pizza, etc... Anyways, Jimi, you will always be missed and revered from this little corner of the earth in Buffalo, NY.

Date: June 28, 2015 00:50

great post sicilian.

Date: June 28, 2015 03:26

Lovely words Sicilian.

He liked pizza, good fish, steak and strawberry shortcake.

Jimi had wonderful manners. He'd been rejected in so many ways in his growing up and then trying to get a good gig that paid "enough money to live on" that he was especially nice to people who clearly needed a smile and probably money.

Re Brian, he was quite shaken by his death. he told me that that Brian had some bad people around him at the end. In the beginning of their brief friendship, they had some good times together talking music but he also said
that Brian didn't always follow through on his thoughts.

Date: June 28, 2015 09:28

stonesrule did you know linda keith? she seems like a potentially important person to both the stones and jimi at the time, not much is heard about her...

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: June 28, 2015 09:59

A true giant. His music will reverberate throughout history.

Date: June 28, 2015 10:56

TURNER, you are SO smart!

I never met Linda Keith. And Jimi really never talked about her; it was not a romance. I recall saying to him: "Did you ever THANK her?" He looked surprised. "No," he said. "I guess I should have..."

She was one of the very first English people he ever met and he was somewhat
intimidated by the fact that she was the girlfriend of Keith Richards. Jimi knew her only for three or four months.

As I see it, Linda Keith was one of the few people who came through for him and
I have always respected her.

Date: June 28, 2015 19:34

Stonesrule, if you don't mind me asking,

Who in your opinion was a better fit for the Jimi's band Mitch Mitchell or Buddy Miles? Noel Redding or Billy Cox? Who did he rely on the most for making his songs work from the rhythm section point of view?

Did you attend the Monterey Pop Festival and did Jimi consider it his favorite? I often wonder about those festivals. I realize it is a way for an artist to earn money, but it seems that Jimi never missed a festival if he could attend and play. Did he enjoy playing festivals and interacting with other bands and musicians rather than headlining his own tour and basically playing alone with an opening act? Money aside did he love the festival atmosphere more?

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 28, 2015 22:12

I mentioned it on an earlier thread, but I had the pleasure of meeting singer, Madeline Bell, sometime last year. She mentioned Hendrix and how they briefly flat-shared in London. She commented on what a ferocious live-performer he could be and how he was so courteous and polite to all those whom he would meet. She recalled with some affection how he would call her 'Lady Madeline'

Date: June 28, 2015 22:13

a few replies to questions and then no more posts for while.

Frank Otero re "No don't let it get close to you." Such great advice.
I really MUST pay attention to it on a daily advice. Of course, when his life
was in chaos, he found it difficult to take that advice sometimes.

Naturalust, The US hardcover was published in 2005 by Harper Collins "Jimi
Hendrix The Man, The Magic, The Truth. HC did same book in paperback in
various titles. "Betrayed: The Intimate story of Jim Hendrix" and "The True Story of Jimi Hendrix" or something similar.

You should be able to get the hardcover by requesting at many libraries. It's
the one with the good photos. Also a lot of libraries have the paperback (no photos)

ABE Books.com is a great place to buy all kinds of books at good to great prices. On a good day, they have the hardcover. Should also have the
paperbacks. Be sure the description reads GOOD or LIKE NEW. They have
a few paperbacks published by Macmillan in UK. Did a nice job on it!
The Macmillan is a real deal shipped from US. Total cost under $4.00

I have gotten some wonderful books at ABE..mainly books on art or literature
that are hard to find.

Date: June 28, 2015 23:03

Big Al,

Great that you met Madeline Bell! A wonderful singer...

Met her briefly in England and then in early 70's MCA Records in Los Angeles; they used to pick my brain about new signings and asked me to come to a meeting, "as a courtesy." None of the executives actually seemed to know or care about anything except the sales figures) and because I worked with Elton
John who was by far their biggest selling artist so I reluctantly went to meet with the big boys and Blue Mink without being allowed to hearing any music tracks.

When I got there and realized Blue Mink was Madeline, Ray Cooper and some other guys whom I don't recall) I went all out. "Madeline is a fabulous singer and Roy is one of the most versatile musicians in the world..."

I could tell by the lack of interest from the MCA guys that they really didn't
want this band. "It was just a tap dance for the manager," one of the executives told me later. I was furious, saying "I spend fifteen hours a
day on Elton and I don't like being pulled in for your bullshit 'tap dance',,,lousy way to treat any musician...getting their hopes up and wasting
their time.

Date: June 28, 2015 23:19

Hairball
stanlove

The pecking order according to stanlove lol.

Turner68
stanlove

Exactly Turner68.
Music (and all art for that matter) is subjective, and depends on one's personal feelings and perspectives regarding the validity of it all. This is not rocket science where there is an absolute wrong or right - no one's going to explode if they give the wrong answer according to some proven theory or precise calculations.

Nobody has condemned stanlove to the shithouse simply because of his opinions, but when he says 'you are wrong' regarding who I appreciate and at what level I appreciate, well in my neck of the woods that can't be taken lightly.

But then again. maybe stanlove has a point (lol). Maybe I should re-evaluate and do away with my personal feelings, freedom of thought, and freedom of expression, along with the many years of listening to and studying music. Maybe then I should uphold the beliefs of the mysterious 'higher power' of 'accuracy' according to stanlove...whatever that may be.

But then again maybe not. It has dawned on me that this stanlove character is the same poster who pooped all over the John Lennon R.I.P memorial thread simply because of his hatred for all things Lennon. I was wise enough to stay out of that trolling mess, and will now bow out of this thread gracefully to avoid any further troll poop.

Keep on trolling.........

cool smiley

Its not subjective that the Dylan,The Beatles, and the Stones are a much bigger deal in the history of rock then Hendrix is. That's pretty obvious amd a fact. And that's all I ever said.

It would be subjective if I said they all put out better music then him. I am always amazed that so many on music forms can't see what is obvious.

I don't argue ever about whos music is better, I will argue if someone tells me Ratt is a bigger deal in the History of Rock then the Beatles.

Stat the obvious get called a troll.

Date: June 28, 2015 23:23

Damn stonesrule first Jimi and now Elton? You probably know by now how much Jimi meant to me but Elton is also a huge influence and hero of mine.

The early years from say 1970-1974, Elton was so soulful, produced so many perfect songs and recordings that I am in awe to this day. I kind of lost the connection to his music after that but those early records of his cut so deep I am forever changed by them. Sounds like you were working for him during that most productive and creative period. Thanks for anything you had to do with that, what a gift those early songs are to the world. Anytime you feel like sharing an Elton story or two you will make this boy very happy.

And, thanks again for your Jimi stories, I will definitely track down your book and appreciate you letting us know about it. smoking smiley

Date: June 29, 2015 00:11

DaveG
I did see JH in concert. It was at Newport '69 at Devonshire Downs in Northridge, California, a 3-day concert with a pretty good line-up. Aside from JH, I saw Creedence, Jethro Tull, Johnny Winter, The Chambers Brothers, The Rascals, Booker T, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, and many more.

I saw him on Sunday, the final day of the festival. There is a film on Youtube of that performance, which was filmed from right near where I was standing. It was kind of a jam session, with Buddy Miles on drums. I had always liked JH, not everything he did, but he was the real deal.

Who can argue with the west coast legend, DaveG.

Date: June 29, 2015 00:20

Ta Da! And now for The Sicilian.

My parents refused to let me drive 350 miles to Monterey so I wasn't there but I'll never forget the special first screening of the movie. Everyone in the biz was there, and we had never seen anything like this film. Janis Joplin blew our minds! Hendrix, of course, was amazing; we'd never seen, much less
dreamed, of anyone so...INTERESTING!

NOW, re drummers. I am very pro Mitch because he adored Jimi and Jimi felt the same way about Mitch.

Buddy was a different story. He hounded Jimi and constantly hit him up for
money. Usually arriving high as a kite and Jimi became sick of it. So Jimi
decided to try something different strictly on a trial basis. There were some
fine gigs and quite a few where Jimi was NOT happy.

I have always been SO grateful that Mitch and I had a long and meaningful talk
a couple of years before he died. I had been invited to the British Rock and
Roll Hall of Fame where Jimi, The Kinks, The Who, Black Sabbath Annie Lennox and major UK bands were "inducted" at Alexandra Palace in London.

Much to my surprise I was given a front row seat. I had left a message backstage for Mitch saying that I would love to see him. When the time came
for the Jimi tribute, the friend who went with me, said, "Oh Oh..." and there
was Janie Hendrix making her entrance to the stage, looking right down at me.
She always wore "strange clothes" made by her "personal designer" and this
night seemed to be her "Tribute to Draperies." She said a bunch of meaningless
stuff. And then came the music. Slash "replaced" Hendrix with Mitch on drums
and Bily Cox on bass. It was fine but I think that everyone there had a lump
in their throat.

After THAT was over,just as The Kinks were coming on(and I am a big fan) someone came over to me and said, "May I take you to Mitch Mitchell? I was up
like a shot, apologized to my friend and followed the guy who would take
me to see Mitch. We spent half an hour together, holding on to each other's hand. Very emotional stuff. He looked me over and said, "Sharon, you look
so glamorous...Jimi would be very proud." I was overwhelmed. Then he said,
"SHE has a lot of security here tonight. A lot of people didn't want HER to
be here."

I asked him if it was difficult to have Slash there. He sighed and said,
"Every time I play drums, it's always the wrong guy up front....

"But I still look and tell myself, "It's just a bad dream. Jimi will be here any minute now..."

That's as much as I can handle re Mitch.

Re Billy Cox. Success has been kind. He always seemed like a quiet, pleasant
guy in the beginning but when Janie decided to do "Experience Hendrix tours"
she won Billy's heart by paying for his home, big salary, bought him a motorcycle, etc. etc.

Ten or so years ago, I went to the truly fabulous Nashville Country Music Hall of Fame for a special afternoon in Jimi's honor Jimi had lived there and played in a band with Billy, and the exhibition of rare photos etc. was wonderful! There was a great panel of various people who had known Jimi.
Billy was there, dressed in fab black leather motorcycle ensemble. And afterwards the audience was invited to come up for autographs. I stood in
the line and when it was my turn, Billy got really nervous. I shook his
hand and said, "I'm so happy to see you Billy...But you've got so many people
here waiting...I don't want to take up your time so I won't ask you for
an autograph." We both laughed."

Several years later when my Hendrix book had just been released I was invited to give a talk on Jimi in the same beautiful auditorium. It was amazing.
A line around the long block. I was nervous and trying to hold my emotion in
check. But the audience was with me all the way. The thing that touched me
deeply was the number of elderly black men and women who were there, dressed in their best. I knew that they had likely not known Jimi, so it surprised me
as to why they had come. A number of them came up to me and I said, "Jimi
would be so honored that you are here."

A lady patted my hand and said "We wanted to pay our respects." And
they crowded around me and said all sorts of sweet things. I so wished
that Jimi could somehow see the love they felt for him.

HAVE TO TELL YOU: One of the honored guests there was the elderly Bobby Hebb, most known for his record "Sunny." He arrived in best bib and tucker, and the crowdin the lobby just went wild. I was introduced and he was so kind, so full
of compliments. Thank God, I thought, remembering being in assorted tuning
room through the years where one guitar player or another always tried his
hand at "Sunny" before they went on stage. Even Keith Richards.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 00:22 by stonesrule.

Date: June 29, 2015 00:37

Thanks Stonesrule, that is a brilliant read. You are indeed a genuine soul. You have always been most kind to me and I've always appreciated that. For the record when I write my thoughts about Jimi it is from my heart and true feelings and not to impress you or anyone else. I hope someday to meet you if our paths cross.

A lot of posters have come and gone here and some with new names even I don't know, but I remember CindyC having a fondness for your contributions. Keep on posting as there will always be those of us (there are many) who fully appreciate what you bring to the conversation. BTW I totally concur that ABE Books is fantastic for purchasing books. I covet hardcover editions with a passion and that is first place I look and usually buy from. I love books.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:48

Great stories, stonerule!

By the way, I was actually unaware it was Madeline Bell initially. I met her in a work-capacity (my work, that is) and she was using her married name. It was only my curiosity that prompted her to divulge more. She was originally going to leave it at, 'I used to sing jingles on British television commercials in the 1980's'! That's, err, not as impressive as Hendrix, With A Little Help From My Friends and You Can't Always Get What You Want. Top lady, indeed.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 29, 2015 00:51

There was a thread on which somebody - I can't remember who it was - wrote something like "this board amazes me sometimes". I second that, after reading all these great stories shared by stonesrule. Thank you so much! smileys with beer

Date: June 29, 2015 01:24

stanlove
I don't argue ever about whos music is better, I will argue if someone tells me Ratt is a bigger deal in the History of Rock then the Beatles.

I think the whole point is that you want to argue at all. When someone expresses an opinion and calls it a fact and everybody who doesn't agree with them wrong, that is bound to get people upset.

The things you are so sure are facts are obviously not considered so by other people so perhaps if you just finished your sentence with a simple "imo", it would be easier to swallow and be taken more seriously. Not everything is as it seems from any of our perspectives and when discussing artists like Hendrix and Lennon, things are even less clear and as you have stated emotions can cloud judgement.

History may be a bit more objective than music appreciation but there are certainly many ways to interpret it, so it still is an "eye of the beholder concept." American history is riddled with "facts" that upon further study with a different perspective change 180 deg. For example sitting down with an American Indian elder and hearing their history of an event we read about as "fact" in our grade school history books give you a whole different perspective. Or in the case of Hendrix, ask 100 rock guitarists who was more important and influential to them, Dylan or Hendrix?

Date: June 29, 2015 02:24

Naturalust
stanlove

I think the whole point is that you want to argue at all. When someone expresses an opinion and calls it a fact and everybody who doesn't agree with them wrong, that is bound to get people upset.

The things you are so sure are facts are obviously not considered so by other people so perhaps if you just finished your sentence with a simple "imo", it would be easier to swallow and be taken more seriously. Not everything is as it seems from any of our perspectives and when discussing artists like Hendrix and Lennon, things are even less clear and as you have stated emotions can cloud judgement.

History may be a bit more objective than music appreciation but there are certainly many ways to interpret it, so it still is an "eye of the beholder concept." American history is riddled with "facts" that upon further study with a different perspective change 180 deg. For example sitting down with an American Indian elder and hearing their history of an event we read about as "fact" in our grade school history books give you a whole different perspective. Or in the case of Hendrix, ask 100 rock guitarists who was more important and influential to them, Dylan or Hendrix?

There you go again. Asking 100 guitarists who is more influential to them has nothing to do with who obviously is more influential in rock history. Two different things.

And I would put money on the fact that if 100 random rock guitarists today who was the most influential guitar player was to them Jimmy Page would get more more mentions then Jimi Hendrix.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-29 02:35 by stanlove.

Date: June 29, 2015 02:37

stanlove
There you go again. Asking 100 guitarists who is more influential to them has nothing to do with who obviously is more influential in rock history. Two different things.

Unless the guitarists are writing the rock history books, which of course they probably are. winking smiley

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1453
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home