Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5
Re: OT Jimi Hendrix fans
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 24, 2015 07:18

Yes, Jimi In The West LP. Holy crap, besides Red House I've always been smashed by Voodoo Child. The feedback on those 2 songs is phenomenal, almost magical how it lined up with the playing. Actually the whole album is great but those 2 songs are the centerpiece. Unfortunately they fudged the CD re-issue. That's a real crime.

Date: June 24, 2015 08:19

frankotero
Yes, Jimi In The West LP. Holy crap, besides Red House I've always been smashed by Voodoo Child. The feedback on those 2 songs is phenomenal, almost magical how it lined up with the playing. Actually the whole album is great but those 2 songs are the centerpiece. Unfortunately they fudged the CD re-issue. That's a real crime.

fusged it how?

Date: June 24, 2015 11:20

Hi, don't remember all the differences off the top of my head, but it's not the exact same album. Actually they used different versions. Besides that it's brickwalled like everything these days. They should have followed the original LP and maybe added a few extra tracks.

Date: June 24, 2015 11:26

frankotero
Hi, don't remember all the differences off the top of my head, but it's not the exact same album. Actually they used different versions. Besides that it's brickwalled like everything these days. They should have followed the original LP and maybe added a few extra tracks.

i know what you are talking about now. they removed the tracks recorded at the royal albert hall since it wasn't recorded "in the west" and the tracks are part of a legal dispute. those 2 tracks can still be obtained though on HENDRIX EXPERIENCE purple 4 cd boxset

Date: June 24, 2015 11:41

Yes, that's it, besides the brickwalling issue. But like other people I want to have this as it was originally. Of course I already have all the other CDs and records too, but when I put this on the player and hear different versions of those songs (which aren't as good imo) then I get pissed. Maybe one day we'll have complete concerts on complete CDs/LPs. Would be nice. Kind of ironic being the great musician he was and how his legacy has been treated. Maybe it's suppose to be that way. Who knows? Hey, that's a song, no pun intended.

Date: June 24, 2015 12:34

frankotero
Yes, that's it, besides the brickwalling issue. But like other people I want to have this as it was originally. Of course I already have all the other CDs and records too, but when I put this on the player and hear different versions of those songs (which aren't as good imo) then I get pissed. Maybe one day we'll have complete concerts on complete CDs/LPs. Would be nice. Kind of ironic being the great musician he was and how his legacy has been treated. Maybe it's suppose to be that way. Who knows? Hey, that's a song, no pun intended.

they are still tring to get the complete RAH performance released

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: June 25, 2015 23:01

keefriffhard4life
frankotero

Kind of understand what you're saying, frankotero.

I get pssed when I'm listening to Electric Ladyland, the 'silent side' of the second vinyl, you know, starting with Rainy Day, Dream Away and then taking off with 1983...(A merman I should turn to be). Somehow, that third side for me was always the last side of the 4 from EL. Kind of closed the whole thing for me by spinning off into the unlimited cosmos...

Yes, and what pisses me off is when I listen to the MP3s from that, they always break up between the songs whereas I was used to hear them just melting into oneanother when listening to the vinyl - with closed eyes, that is and under headphones! So I'm floating gently away and then it BAM! get's silent and one has to switch to the next part. Awful. moody smiley

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: June 25, 2015 23:09

I still haven't gotten over having tickets to see Jimi (on the same bill with Engelbert Humperdinck confused smiley )--I'd organized the whole thing, for a whole big group of us to go--and then coming down with chickenpox the night before. sad smiley I was determined to go anyway, but my mum sensibly wouldn't let me. sad smiley sad smiley

Oh well, I thought, I'll have another chance . . . (Not.)

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 25, 2015 23:20

waterrats
keefriffhard4life
frankotero

Kind of understand what you're saying, frankotero.

I get pssed when I'm listening to Electric Ladyland, the 'silent side' of the second vinyl, you know, starting with Rainy Day, Dream Away and then taking off with 1983...(A merman I should turn to be). Somehow, that third side for me was always the last side of the 4 from EL. Kind of closed the whole thing for me by spinning off into the unlimited cosmos...

Yes, and what pisses me off is when I listen to the MP3s from that, they always break up between the songs whereas I was used to hear them just melting into oneanother when listening to the vinyl - with closed eyes, that is and under headphones! So I'm floating gently away and then it BAM! get's silent and one has to switch to the next part. Awful. moody smiley

Seems it's been hit or miss on Hendrix records when it comes to brickwalling. From about 1997 to 2002 they definitely overcompressed much of the released material but since then and before that they seemed to have a lighter touch with the remasters. Here is the Hendrix DR data:

[dr.loudness-war.info]

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 25, 2015 23:31

Thanks for the link Naturalist interesting .......next to my LP's I have one CD from Hendrix and it sounds awful I have to check out which one...and see if the list is correct...

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: June 26, 2015 00:25

too young to see jimi, was born in 68, discovered him many years ago and liked some of the stuff i heard but never bought any of his records, saw him on youtube in the last couple of years and although i loved his guitar playing which was ahead of its time i didnt think he was a great songwriter or singer. saw on youtube him playing a flamenco sounding piece of music at some festival, may have been woodstock, but the video was taken down so cant seem to find it and dont know what the song was called but it was awesome with his guitar playing ahead of anyone else on the planet.

i also watched a documentary about him and he seemed to be a really nice person and very modest and it was said he never even learned to play the guitar till he was 15.

too young to die like many others of his like.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 26, 2015 01:26

www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYFzYWK3qRo

Date: June 26, 2015 05:29

buttons67
saw on youtube him playing a flamenco sounding piece of music at some festival, may have been woodstock, but the video was taken down so cant seem to find it and dont know what the song was called but it was awesome with his guitar playing ahead of anyone else on the planet.

Not sure if this is the tune you are talking about (not quite flamenco) but it is awesome and still ahead of anyone on the planet all these years later, imo.

It's called Villanova Junction and remains one of my all time favorite Hendrix pieces. I never get tired of hearing it, so creative and emotional and beautiful.

video: [www.youtube.com]

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 26, 2015 05:33

buttons67
too young to see jimi, was born in 68, discovered him many years ago and liked some of the stuff i heard but never bought any of his records, saw him on youtube in the last couple of years and although i loved his guitar playing which was ahead of its time i didnt think he was a great songwriter or singer. saw on youtube him playing a flamenco sounding piece of music at some festival, may have been woodstock, but the video was taken down so cant seem to find it and dont know what the song was called but it was awesome with his guitar playing ahead of anyone else on the planet.

i also watched a documentary about him and he seemed to be a really nice person and very modest and it was said he never even learned to play the guitar till he was 15.

too young to die like many others of his like.

In my opinion he was an excellent songwriter. Put the first 10 songs he wrote up against jagger/Richards any day.

Date: June 26, 2015 05:47

Turner68
In my opinion he was an excellent songwriter. Put the first 10 songs he wrote up against jagger/Richards any day.

Yes! Excellent. Amazing lyricist, arranger and innovator. I look at a song like Castles Made of Sand and am amazed at his ability to tell a story and blow you away with his playing at the same time.

I think Mick was totally impressed with Jimi and Keith probably was too although he seemed to be a bit jealous or something. Never really gave Jimi his due when talking about him, perhaps it just wasn't his thing. Brian should have taken Keith to Monterrey Pop Festival!!

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 26, 2015 06:00

To me, Jimi Hendrix was just another name I used to read on books and magazines but I could only listen to the first Experience LP (actually, a cassette recorded by a friend of mine who had the re-released CD - 1993 or 94, I think), and it blew my mind. I thought there was nothing more to know about him, until I listened to Axis and Electric Ladyland.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 26, 2015 07:14

Cristiano Radtke
To me, Jimi Hendrix was just another name I used to read on books and magazines but I could only listen to the first Experience LP (actually, a cassette recorded by a friend of mine who had the re-released CD - 1993 or 94, I think), and it blew my mind. I thought there was nothing more to know about him, until I listened to Axis and Electric Ladyland.

Have you tried band of gypsies?

Date: June 26, 2015 09:11

Band Of Gypsies is smoking hot. Makes me wonder what could have been if he had more time. I like what Lou Reed said about him in the 1973 film documentary "Jimi Hendrix". He said he was like a ball of fire passing through. Think that about sums it up.

Date: June 26, 2015 09:15

Naturalust, thanks for the loudness list. Compared to The Stones it's better.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 26, 2015 09:40

Naturalust
More Hot Rocks
What is Jimi's best posthumous release?

Cry of Love is pretty hard to beat for me. People say all his posthumous stuff is not worthy, that is just not true. Almost everything the man put on tape is worthy.

The first record I ever bought was War Hero's not his best one but it still cut me deep.

Agreed. I would also add Rainbow Bridge which was released right after Cry of Love and includes Hey Baby (New Rising Sun), Pali Gap, and a smokin' live version of Hear My Train A Comin among others.
Both albums were essential to me when I began playing guitar as a teen in the mid '70's, and they still are essential to this day.

Just last year, both were officially re-released (finally!) on cd and vinyl. My original old vinyl Rainbow Bridge and Cry of Love albums can finally rest in peace, while these new releases are getting lots of wear and tear in my world.

Date: June 26, 2015 11:20

Hairball
Naturalust
More Hot Rocks

Cry of Love is pretty hard to beat for me. People say all his posthumous stuff is not worthy, that is just not true. Almost everything the man put on tape is worthy.

The first record I ever bought was War Hero's not his best one but it still cut me deep.

Agreed. I would also add Rainbow Bridge which was released right after Cry of Love and includes Hey Baby (New Rising Sun), Pali Gap, and a smokin' live version of Hear My Train A Comin among others.
Both albums were essential to me when I began playing guitar as a teen in the mid '70's, and they still are essential to this day.

Just last year, both were officially re-released (finally!) on cd and vinyl. My original old vinyl Rainbow Bridge and Cry of Love albums can finally rest in peace, while these new releases are getting lots of wear and tear in my world.

no need to get rainbor bridge or cry of love. all of the songs are on first rays on the new rising sun and south saturn delta

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 26, 2015 11:50

keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Naturalust
More Hot Rocks

no need to get rainbor bridge or cry of love. all of the songs are on first rays on the new rising sun and south saturn delta

As for me, there is a need.

The original tracklist and album artwork for Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge is far superior to the hodgepodge slapdash of First Rays and South Saturn (which I also own), but that's just my opinion of course.

*Also, the live version of Hear My Train A Comin is not on either of the releases you mention.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-26 12:04 by Hairball.

Date: June 26, 2015 12:51

Hairball
keefriffhard4life
Hairball
Naturalust
More Hot Rocks

As for me, there is a need.

The original tracklist and album artwork for Cry of Love and Rainbow Bridge is far superior to the hodgepodge slapdash of First Rays and South Saturn (which I also own), but that's just my opinion of course.

*Also, the live version of Hear My Train A Comin is not on either of the releases you mention.

i know experience hendrix just rereleased them but i don't need compilations that now are nothing more than a way to get an extra buck when experience hendrix already released everything on them

Date: June 26, 2015 12:59

And how about the latest, re-issuing the box set with just 2 tracks more! Apparently that live version of Like A Rolling Stone is superior than the ones on the Winterland box. Damn the man is all I can say.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 26, 2015 17:12

Jimi Hendrix - Wild Thing Paris 1967

video: [www.dailymotion.com]

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 26, 2015 17:16

The mastering on the recent "Cry of Love" and "Rainbow Bridge" CD's are much better than "First Rays" and "South Saturn Delta" in my opinion.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 26, 2015 17:30

some video from Band Of Gypsies.. ' greatest solo ' highly subjective, but the film is enjoyable

Date: June 26, 2015 17:50

vudicus
The mastering on the recent "Cry of Love" and "Rainbow Bridge" CD's are much better than "First Rays" and "South Saturn Delta" in my opinion.

Yes I agree! Glad someone is paying attention enough to the process to not ruin these masterpieces. I love these two posthumous as much or more than any of the records he made while alive.

As much as it has been stated that Jimi was moving toward jazz and playing stuff like his band of gypsies performance live, it is interesting that his studio work was still very song based, less jammy and still in the rock and blues vein. Besides the great songs Hairball mentioned on Rainbow Bridge I am still blown away by Drifting, EZ Rider, My Friend, Angel and Belly Button Window.

"Y'all pass me that bottle, and I'll sing you all a real song!" ....
I've often wondered if that tune was truly just a bar room jam or if it was crafted to sound as such in the studio. Amazing free form detailed lyrics by Jimi on that one. "And I thought you were my friend too, man my shadow comes around before you". Wow, just fantastic.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: June 26, 2015 17:54

lem motlow
there are no rock and roll fans who dont like jimi hendrix.period..

How would you know that?

I like Rock and Roll and I am not a fan of Hendrix. To me Hendrix is a guy who can obviously do things with a guitar that nobody else can, but it doesn't sound good to me. The only song I would listen to by him if it came on the radio is Red House which I love.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 26, 2015 18:03

stanlove
lem motlow
there are no rock and roll fans who dont like jimi hendrix.period..

How would you know that?

I like Rock and Roll and I am not a fan of Hendrix. To me Hendrix is a guy who can obviously do things with a guitar that nobody else can, but it doesn't sound good to me. The only song I would listen to by him if it came on the radio is Red House which I love.

oh man there's a lot more where that came from..

ever listen to 'All Along The Watchtower" - Jimi's cover of the Dylan song...

amazing and even more so the older it gets.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 2 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1580
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home