Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
OT Jimi Hendrix fans
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 22, 2015 19:00

Any Jimi Hendrix fans here? And why?

Did anyone see JH live performance?

Re: OT Jimi Hendrix fans
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 22, 2015 19:06

Yes!

Because he's the best! Last night I was listening to Portland'69 and while Jimi was under the weather that night he still was miles above the competition (Stones or Zep.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 22, 2015 19:19

Jimi Hendrix accomplished so much in such a short time.

I have favorites, albums and songs, of his, and I'm not a completist, don't have a lot of shows, do have some videos, several CDs. Never got to see him in performance. I was in the 9th grade when he died, but was already a fan.

its a shame, I don't want to buy the "Estate " product, because I don't like the way his half sister is running it.

I believe Band Of Gypsies shows him at his best.

but Electric Ladyland is my favorite. what an artist.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-22 19:22 by duke richardson.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 22, 2015 19:31

I was listening radio luxembourg at the the time when of a sudden all these weird exciting and sexy guitar sounds came blasting out of my radio, afterwards I came to see some awesome black and white "Jimi Hendrix Experience" on tv. The only Hendrix 1967 concert in the Netherlands I missed however. I'm still a huge Hendrix fan and still wonder why how he sounded so awesome.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: June 22, 2015 20:29

I was too young at the time, just 6 years old when he died. I was a Beatles fan already though. But anyway, I consider him the greatest musician of all time. Plus he's the only human I believe might of been something moresmiling smiley just because he was so great and seemingly a wonderful person.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 22, 2015 20:30

Yes. Jimi Hendrix is one of the most important musicians of all time.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 22, 2015 20:32

there are no rock and roll fans who dont like jimi hendrix.period..

he died to soon to be recognized enough for his great song writing ,his great soulful voice,his original style of playing.most of what we are left with is his wildman style which was just a small part of what he did.

they say if you want to see how good someone really is take away their amp..

my all time favorite footage of jimi is him sitting on a barstool with an acoustic guitar,just quietly playing and singing the blues.

it is so fcking good,it's like having a video of robert johnson.

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 22, 2015 21:00

Big fan of Jimi..

Born and raised very close to the same neighborhood as Jimi in Seattle, and have been a fan since the first time I heard his music blasting out of a juke-box in a pool hall in the neighborhood. I was a bit young to have seen him live, as my older brother did, a fact that I have always envied..

This statue stands today, not far from where I first heard him..

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: June 22, 2015 21:27

I was almost two years old when he died, so I missed him completely.

Can't say I am a proper "fan": I only have his "official" discography. I never cared for his posthumous recordings, and I have only a few boots. I don't even listen to his music that much.

Yet, he was the greatest.

God knows how much time I've spent to try to get my little wing at least "decent"!

There is an anecdote that a friend of mine, the greatest living JImi fan on earth, once told me. I don't know if it's true, but it describes perfectly what Jimi is/was, for me, at least. Anyway, this is it.

Wind Cries Mary session. The song was done, but Jimi was not satisfied. He believed that the song needed something more to be finished. So, with only minutes to go to the end of the session, he picked up his guitar and recorded THAT outro.

Probably the casual fan wouldn't even tell the difference if that piece of music didn't exist. But for me that outro is the expression of pure genius

C

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: June 22, 2015 23:34

Lem Motlow, lovely post.

Remember my "half apology" to you a few weeks ago.

I repent. Consider this a DOUBLE APOLOGY.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: June 23, 2015 01:03

He is the master. I've never heard any other guitarist demonstrate such control when allied to such a wild and extravagant style. His timing was, largely, superb.

I once read a quote, in Mojo magazine, which ran: "Jimi Hendrix got more out of the electric guitar than any other human being, simply because he put more in". And that describes him perfectly; however much natural talent he had, he improved himself immeasurably via an obsessive desire to improve allied to a wonderfully open mind. I can't say enough good about him.

Lastly, as with Duke above, I avoided the posthumous releases and only recently bought First Rays of the New Rising Son. No, it isn't as good as Electric Ladyland, BUT...it is still definitely worth having. Some great music on there, truly.

Long live the memory of the man.

Declan.

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: June 23, 2015 01:12

I did see JH in concert. It was at Newport '69 at Devonshire Downs in Northridge, California, a 3-day concert with a pretty good line-up. Aside from JH, I saw Creedence, Jethro Tull, Johnny Winter, The Chambers Brothers, The Rascals, Booker T, Steppenwolf, Three Dog Night, and many more.

I saw him on Sunday, the final day of the festival. There is a film on Youtube of that performance, which was filmed from right near where I was standing. It was kind of a jam session, with Buddy Miles on drums. I had always liked JH, not everything he did, but he was the real deal.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: June 23, 2015 01:19

I didn't see him..... I planned to see him in 1970 as there were rumors that he was coming to my country for a concert....but it was too late yawning smiley(

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 23, 2015 02:21

Beware of all the archive material. Despite a good tune sometimes, not much of it really gives Jimi the attention he deserves.

No, check out work on his originally released albums, it is OUT OF THIS WORLD!

Jimi was a sharp editior of his own material, and that is why his albums are incredibly great.

The Albums:

Are You Experienced
Axis: Bold As Love
Electric Ladyland
Band Of Gypes

Plus the singles:

Hey Joe / Stone Free
Purple Haze / 51st Anniversary
The Wind Cries Mary / Stone Free
Burning Of The Midnight Lamp / The Stars That Plays With Laughing Sam's Dice

-these was what Jimi himself envisioned, and despite the fine (but unfinished) material from his 1969/70 recordings, he unfortuneatly didn't live to finish it, which you can clearly hear. Good tunes, but not in the same league as the earlier material. We will never know how Hendrix would have released his last album.

Anyway, you can't go wrong with the 1967-1969 records and singles.

Date: June 23, 2015 13:52

i own almost everything officially released

Posted by: 99thfloor ()
Date: June 23, 2015 14:49

I never see much of an arguement that Jimi was the best rock/blues guitarist ever. if I had to chose to be stranded on an island with one album. For me it is a no brainer. Electric Ladyland. To this day not a single tune on that album sounds dated. In fact quite the opposite. A perfectionist in the studio and it shows. I Had the pleasure of seeing him twice, and left at a third show because it was raining. Who knew?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: June 23, 2015 16:16

lem motlow
there are no rock and roll fans who dont like jimi hendrix.period..

he died to soon to be recognized enough for his great song writing ,his great soulful voice,his original style of playing.most of what we are left with is his wildman style which was just a small part of what he did.

they say if you want to see how good someone really is take away their amp..

my all time favorite footage of jimi is him sitting on a barstool with an acoustic guitar,just quietly playing and singing the blues.

it is so fcking good,it's like having a video of robert johnson.

I remember that film when it was first released, Jimi playing the 12 string on 'Hear My Train A-Comin''

yeah that was an indication of the complex and amazing way he could play the blues.

a master. improvisation at its best.

I also believe its clear he wanted nothing more than just to play, as he progressed in his career, without resorting to the extremely mannered showmanship he used in the early stages of his live work.

although a lot of that was rooted in the blues tradition, its in Band Of Gypsies that we see him as he wanted to progress, just playing,
no behind-the-back or with his teeth, just this virtuoso musician.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 23, 2015 16:21

Count me in! A singular blues feeling ... Sad, but I'm too young to see and hear him at least one time live ...

Date: June 23, 2015 17:03

He is one of those few musicians of whom I really wonder what he would have gone on to do musically. An extraordinary talent.

Posted by: Fillmore ()
Date: June 23, 2015 20:30

I had planned to see him in ´67 in London, ´68 in NYC, ´69 in Woodstock. Missed every chance. I was born in ´73.

G O A T - Greatest Of All Time.

In my high school band we "performed" Fire and Crosstown Traffic. Couldn´t destroy these wonderful songs, not even as full blown rookies. Still love his music more than most everything else. Well, most…

cheers, Fillmore

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 23, 2015 21:02

To say I am a Jimi Hendrix fan is to say the ocean has a bit of water in it. The most important and influential musician to me since I was old enough start exploring the subject. The guitar has been my passion since I was 13 years old or so and as such Jimi has been the giant, mentor and idol I have looked to for technique, inspiration and pure joy for years.

Strangely it wasn't the hits like Purple Haze and Foxy lady that drew me in near as much as his more reflective, visceral and highly emotional and amazing stuff like Pali Gap, The Wind Cries Mary, Castles Made of Sand, Angel, Villanova Junction, Little Wing and similar. His Mayfield-esque playing was just phenomenal and he didn't have to play screaming leads with stage theatrics to get my full and undivided attention.

He lived and produced all his music before I was old enough to catch the buzz although I was a toddler combing the beaches and orchards of Maui when he was there playing the famous Rainbow Bridge show. Perhaps something floated across the island and effected my little brain, I often wonder at the coincidence that I was there at that time and how important he became in my life.

I have since truly studied the mans style and music to the point of learning much of his stuff note for note. Strangely and unlike much other music I have learned so deeply, Jimi's music has never lost the magic. A testament to his amazing talent and creativity.

When I was in high school a touring guitarist showed me Jimi's frequent use of the barred C-chord position, hammering on the notes of the chords up and down the neck, a trick he used extensively on so many songs and it was like giving me the keys to the magical kingdom. Guitarists here who have studied Jimi's style will know what I'm talking about. Keith does a similar thing with his open G stuff on songs like Tumbling Dice but Jimi's use of it in standard tuning really made some of his ballads sonically rich and unique and different that other rock guitarists of the time.

I could talk about Jimi for days, but I think you get the idea. A true gift to this world that man was, I'm eternally grateful.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: June 23, 2015 21:06

stonesrule
Lem Motlow, lovely post.

Remember my "half apology" to you a few weeks ago.

I repent. Consider this a DOUBLE APOLOGY.

you know you're one of my favorite posters-and of course we're good,as always.

Posted by: waterrats ()
Date: June 23, 2015 23:26

Oh man, folks, count me in.

Got my first Hendrix vinyl at 10 in 1970 - it was "Axis - Bold As Love", you know, which began with that surreal radio interview.

Believe me, it scared the shit out of me! You know, I had that mono record player, where the speaker was added to the acryl dust cover. I took off the needle twice from the record because I thought it was broken... you know, after the interview all those completely spaced out sounds and crashes. Blew my mind away.

After that catharsis came Jimi; "I just wanna talk-a-to you... I wanna do you no harm..." - and that was it. I was hooked for a lifetime and I consider myself extremely happy for that!

The holy grail of Jimi's music for me (IMHO) is his "Red House" from San Diego Sports Arena, May 25, 1969. Unbelievable. Unbelievable! Unbelievable!! You find that track on "Hendix In The West".

I so much wish he would have had more time to grow further into his music - it would have been an absolute adventure for us.

Peace!
Cheers,
Johannes

Posted by: SonicDreamer ()
Date: June 24, 2015 00:29

I have friends who were originally from the Sunderland area in Northern UK, who saw Hendrix several times in small (workingmens') clubs. GRRRRRRRRRR

Cheers,
SonicD

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: June 24, 2015 04:57

Oh my. How many times I lay in front of the speakers with Smash Hits wafting over me as my mind explored the galaxies. Then, I 'd spend many a rainy afternoon with Rainy Day Dream Away and Voodoo Chile taking me places I still haven't been. But All Along The Watchtower the guards lit the lamp to guide my way. And there in the distance would be the Red House where my lover's sister be. She'd take me in and be by Angel and hold me under her Little Wing. I'd ask her name and she'd say The Wind Cries Mary and that's how it must be. We'd frolic along the beach and spend our days lost in the Purple Haze of Castles Made of Sand as we cruised and found ourselves the Third Stone From The Sun able to tumble among the stars and say yes to the question Are You Experienced in some way.

Jimi's the man. What more can I say?

Date: June 24, 2015 05:53

waterrats

The holy grail of Jimi's music for me (IMHO) is his "Red House" from San Diego Sports Arena, May 25, 1969. Unbelievable. Unbelievable! Unbelievable!! You find that track on "Hendix In The West".

One of my all time favorites too! Maybe Jimi would have jumped into more jazz and fusion stuff had he lived longer but if he had done nothing but blues he would have had a career of continued success, imo.

You could still arguably call him the most exciting blues guitarist of all time although he was much more than that.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 24, 2015 06:03

What is Jimi's best posthumous release?

Date: June 24, 2015 06:10

More Hot Rocks

Cry of Love is pretty hard to beat for me. People say all his posthumous stuff is not worthy, that is just not true. Almost everything the man put on tape is worthy.

The first record I ever bought was War Hero's not his best one but it still cut me deep.

Date: June 24, 2015 07:03

More Hot Rocks

i actually enjoy the stuff hendrix was working on at the end of his life more than most of the actual studio released music he did during his lifetime. he started bringing in more soul, funk and r&b influences. i think first rays of the new rising sun, valleys of neptune, people hell and angels and the west coast seattle boy boxset are all worth owning

Posted by: thehighwayterror ()
Date: June 24, 2015 07:12

I was only seven when Hendrix died but as I grew older he became one of my all time favorites.

I like Are You Experienced best.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1578
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home