Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9
Re: Marquee 71
Posted by: muenke ()
Date: June 26, 2015 13:22

LeonidP
shortfatfanny
LeonidP
kleermaker
BTW: does someone still listen to the 5 alternates? I don't.

Can you (or anyone) please explain what the alternates are? From different shows? Rehearsal footage?

BTW, just picked up my copy from Best Buy, just to get the $3 off coupon for Hyde Park. I haven't had a chance to open/listen yet.

The five tracks on SF deluxe on CD 2 before Roundhouse tracks.

Oh, okay, thanks ... I wasn't paying attention

I thought he was talking about the 5 extra tracks on Marquee:
Alternative takes:
(1) I Got The Blues Take 1
(2) I Got The Blues Take 2
(3) Bitch Take 1
(4) Bitch Take 2.
Top Of The Pops Performance of 'Brown Sugar' from 1971

Obviously the 5th is Top Of The Pops ... but what about the first 4? Is this a rehearsal of some sort? It appears that way from the description but I haven't listened yet.

As far as I know, the released marquee-gig isn´t the "real" concert, but the so called dress rehearsal with the audience (audio/video) mixed in from the later gig. I don´t know why they did that, but it is obvious, that they tried out IGTB and Bitch a few time during the dress rehearsal ... Or those alternate takes a perhaps from the real gig, but I doubt that. Don´t forget, they did that show only for a TV-release ...

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: June 26, 2015 14:21

muenke
LeonidP
shortfatfanny
LeonidP
kleermaker

Can you (or anyone) please explain what the alternates are? From different shows? Rehearsal footage?

BTW, just picked up my copy from Best Buy, just to get the $3 off coupon for Hyde Park. I haven't had a chance to open/listen yet.

Alternative takes:
(3) Bitch Take 1
(4) Bitch Take 2.

Obviously the 5th is Top Of The Pops ... but what about the first 4? Is this a rehearsal of some sort? It appears that way from the description but I haven't listened yet.

As far as I know, the released marquee-gig isn´t the "real" concert, but the so called dress rehearsal with the audience (audio/video) mixed in from the later gig. I don´t know why they did that, but it is obvious, that they tried out IGTB and Bitch a few time during the dress rehearsal ... Or those alternate takes a perhaps from the real gig, but I doubt that. Don´t forget, they did that show only for a TV-release ...

Actually I didn't know too much about it, thanks for the details!

Date: June 26, 2015 21:09

As I suspected I got the CD/DVD instead of the LP/DVD that I ordered angry smiley

Posted by: rogerriffin ()
Date: June 26, 2015 21:28

I got mine yesterday from amazon, i received my difference in price and all fine, but when i opened the BD+CD package inside 2 Bluray discs! and no one cd...

i will just enjoy the audio from Flac shared on web>grinning smiley<

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 27, 2015 01:29

opj
Hey all you out there Who's so unsatisfied with the releases from the vaults. I think that The Stones are giving us, there fans some quality releases, from different areas of their long stint in rock'n'roll. Of cause their is some concerts that would be great to have, but I think that they are giving us the best. Many of you Who critises listens to bad mobile-phone recordings of concerts at think they are great, but they arn't. Many of the concerts and recordings you can find on You tube, are a disgrace to a great band, really not worth a listen.
I hope of course that we the real stones fans get more great monments, and everytime The Stones send something on the market it's great stuff. The only thing I really miss is the "Sweet Summer Sun" japanese bonus cd.

from a real stones fan from denmark

Amen brother, when this sh!t comes out I throw away all my crappy bootlegs!
thumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: June 27, 2015 01:49

OpenG
I also would rate Marquee over Leeds.I love Taylor ripping up Brown Sugar at the end. Love the loose and funky satisfaction and bitch.On Dead Flowers did they edit some of the close ups on Taylor's fretwork where Jagger is in the way of his playing.

play the guitar boy.

Me too, but Mick's incessant clapping during the start of every song at the Marquee is rather annoying. Oh well.

smileys with beerRe: Marquee 71
Posted by: GeorgV ()
Date: June 27, 2015 12:39

From amazon I suppose? I pre-ordered the DVD/LP too, but noticed later that the link on my order led to the DVD/CD issue. Emailed amazon, and finally got one person who understood my worries and updated my order to the DVD/LP for the same price. Arrived yesterday. LP sounds very good , haven't watched the DVD yet

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-27 14:56 by GeorgV.

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: June 27, 2015 13:56

muenke
LeonidP
shortfatfanny
LeonidP
kleermaker

Alternative takes:
(3) Bitch Take 1
(4) Bitch Take 2.

There's video footage of two tracks from the other show (where KR is wearing a black shirt). Between Bitch and Brown Sugar MJ says "one more song at this rehearsal", so I'm sure that it's not the dress rehearsal which was officially released.

N

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 28, 2015 19:13

shadooby
opj
Hey all you out there Who's so unsatisfied with the releases from the vaults. I think that The Stones are giving us, there fans some quality releases, from different areas of their long stint in rock'n'roll. Of cause their is some concerts that would be great to have, but I think that they are giving us the best. Many of you Who critises listens to bad mobile-phone recordings of concerts at think they are great, but they arn't. Many of the concerts and recordings you can find on You tube, are a disgrace to a great band, really not worth a listen.
I hope of course that we the real stones fans get more great monments, and everytime The Stones send something on the market it's great stuff. The only thing I really miss is the "Sweet Summer Sun" japanese bonus cd.

from a real stones fan from denmark

Amen brother, when this sh!t comes out I throw away all my crappy bootlegs!
thumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beer

Yeah, great releases this last month with Hyde Park next. Received Marquee yesterday, both the CD and Blu-Ray are fantastic!! I never compare but this show has me wanting to shake all over. Band is super tight and funky. Jagger's clapping seems to be a part of his routine, he's fine...lol. Damn Bitch is playing now, Excuse me I must exit...

Posted by: fullbandwith ()
Date: June 29, 2015 13:17

Got blu-ray yesterday. Stunning video restoration and sound of course. Well done on this release. Looking foward to next one.. .)

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 29, 2015 16:12

Sorry if I'm ignorant, but I can't force myself into reading all these pages.
My question: Has it always been Taylor playing the intro during Bitch and Keith taking the fills? It it also that way on the studio version?

Date: June 29, 2015 16:15

Blueranger
My question: Has it always been Taylor playing the intro during Bitch and Keith taking the fills? It it also that way on the studio version?

Yes.

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: June 29, 2015 16:18

DandelionPowderman
Blueranger

Yes.

Okay thanks. That kills so many rumours about the recording of the track. I once read that Keith played the rhythm guitar and thereby got the band in groove.

Date: June 29, 2015 16:21

Blueranger
DandelionPowderman
Blueranger

Yes.

Okay thanks. That kills so many rumours about the recording of the track. I once read that Keith played the rhythm guitar and thereby got the band in groove.

Should we stir that pot again? smiling smiley

Andy Johns said that the song went nowhere before Keith went in, showed the others how it should be played AND played the licks.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 29, 2015 16:27

Actually thinking about it now - Mick Taylor guested on an album by legendary American flautist Herb Mann in about 74. Taylor brought with him one Stones song - and it was Bitch.

Was he making a point to prove, saying this is my riff and my song?

Posted by: RockingLonestar ()
Date: June 30, 2015 13:00

kleermaker
Ranking audiowise, musicalwise, videowise and overall:

soundwise
1. Roundhouse
2. Marquee
3. Leeds

musicalwise
1. Roundhouse
2. Marquee
3. Leeds

videowise
1. Marquee
2. ex aequo: Leeds and Roundhouse

overall
1. Roundhouse
2. Marquee
3. Leeds

I am very happy that we got these three fantastic releases. Maybe Roundhouse is the best musically, but it is so incomplete. Leeds is complete and nearly as good as Roundhouse musically. Marquee is incomplete, but musically good and we got fantastic "moving pictures". Don´t compare and analyse them too much. Just enjoy the three of them ;-)
Amen.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 30, 2015 16:42

Silver Dagger
Actually thinking about it now - Mick Taylor guested on an album by legendary American flautist Herb Mann in about 74. Taylor brought with him one Stones song - and it was Bitch.

Was he making a point to prove, saying this is my riff and my song?

I think so, and he is right. MT isn't only a great solo genius, but also a great riffmaster ...

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: June 30, 2015 17:01

So watching the alternative takes, there seemed to be some tension. Conversations on stage and off stage, it reminded me of the Hail Hail scene when Chuck was busting Keith's balls over a riff and had to keep repeating it. Anyway great to see them working it out on film!!

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: June 30, 2015 17:23

on live with me, MT plays a nasty riff on the intro and the close-up of his huge hands.

Keith never took credit for the Bitch intro and that leads me to believe that MT might of come up with riff - as the band was playing Bitch during a practice session without Keith - later Keith came in and the song took off.

play the guitar boy

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 30, 2015 18:03

Maindefender
So watching the alternative takes, there seemed to be some tension. Conversations on stage and off stage, it reminded me of the Hail Hail scene when Chuck was busting Keith's balls over a riff and had to keep repeating it. Anyway great to see them working it out on film!!

That makes Marquee such an interesting document, especially the bonus songs. Notice also the second take of I Got The Blues. Finally Mick T. starts the song, and he does it in a very interesting and beautiful way imo.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 30, 2015 18:18

OpenG
on live with me, MT plays a nasty riff on the intro and the close-up of his huge hands.

Keith never took credit for the Bitch intro and that leads me to believe that MT might of come up with riff - as the band was playing Bitch during a practice session without Keith - later Keith came in and the song took off.

play the guitar boy

I wasn't aware that there was a dispute. I mean, was it Keith who lifted the riff from the Temptations' "Get Ready", or was it Mick T?

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: June 30, 2015 21:10

In Glyn Johns' book he says they were going to play Wild Horses but Richards fell asleep while tuning his 12 string, haha. Do you guys think Taylor would have play acoustic, electric, or electric with a slide? Man I would have loved to hear Taylor on Wild Horses, it's perfect for his style.

Date: June 30, 2015 21:46

TravelinMan
In Glyn Johns' book he says they were going to play Wild Horses but Richards fell asleep while tuning his 12 string, haha. Do you guys think Taylor would have play acoustic, electric, or electric with a slide? Man I would have loved to hear Taylor on Wild Horses, it's perfect for his style.

Glyn Johns had a thick dumb when he wrote that. Pure nonsense of course, like so many quotes from people involved back then.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 30, 2015 21:57

kleermaker
TravelinMan

Glyn Johns had a thick dumb when he wrote that. Pure nonsense of course, like so many quotes from people involved back then.

Yes, in the photo of Keith sleeping on stage that comes with the package, Keith is clearly sleeping next to a 6 string guitar.

Date: June 30, 2015 22:09

bleedingman
kleermaker
TravelinMan

Yes, in the photo of Keith sleeping on stage that comes with the package, Keith is clearly sleeping next to a 6 string guitar.

And then they woke him up and he could play further? What song? Let It Roll?

Posted by: ouroux58 ()
Date: June 30, 2015 22:19

On the lp/dvd pictures, Mick and Keith don't wear the clothes we see on the videos. On the record cover and inside too Keith's one is the same that during the UK tour and he wears a shirt in the video. I think that for the real show, Keith wore his UK tour shirt.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: July 1, 2015 11:29

kleermaker
TravelinMan

They DID rehearse Wild Horses, with Richards on 12-string and Taylor on 6-string acoustic. For whatever reason it didn't work. Then, there are statements from several people that Richards turned up at the Marquee totally wasted, and actually crashed on stage during the rehearsal.

Mathijs

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: July 1, 2015 13:33

Mathijs
kleermaker
TravelinMan

They DID rehearse Wild Horses, with Richards on 12-string and Taylor on 6-string acoustic. For whatever reason it didn't work. Then, there are statements from several people that Richards turned up at the Marquee totally wasted, and actually crashed on stage during the rehearsal.

Mathijs

In fact, looking the DVD one must say: This man is done ... however, his guitar play is okay ...

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: July 1, 2015 14:22

Review from Superdeluxeedition.com : [www.superdeluxeedition.com]

Posted by: NeddieFlanders ()
Date: July 1, 2015 15:36

ouroux58
On the lp/dvd pictures, Mick and Keith don't wear the clothes we see on the videos. On the record cover and inside too Keith's one is the same that during the UK tour and he wears a shirt in the video. I think that for the real show, Keith wore his UK tour shirt.

The photos with KR wearing a dark shirt come from the rehearsals. There is also film footage from these rehearsals (Bitch & Brown Sugar) around.

N

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 7 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1608
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home