Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT: Getting/forcing a refund from Ticketmaster
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: June 5, 2015 20:20

Its happened to the best of us and now I'm wondering if anyone can offer some advice when dealing with Ticketmaster.

Went on at exactly onsale time this morning to buy tickets to a show. For awhile, nothing came up, but after 15 minutes I finally found orchestra seats, which I bought just to be in the building. Went on a half an hour later and, as has happened many times when I've dealt with Ticketmaster, better seats were available. A full half of the alphabet of an improvement. So naturally I jumped at the chance and bought those too.

I have refunded tickets before on Ticketmaster but seemed to have a problem. They said the specific venue I bought for (The Beacon Theatre) doesn't offer refunds for anything, so the 72 hour fan guarantee on Ticketmaster doesn't apply. They said you could have exchanged the tickets before buying them, but as I pointed out it took me 20 minutes to get on the phone with someone from Ticketmaster, so the new better tickets I found would have been long gone.

They said they'd get in contact with the venue for a one time refund. Personally, I have little faith thats gonna work and I think they're just saying it to get me off their back. My question to you guys is there anything you have dealt with in the past that would maybe ensure a refund. Listen, if I'm stuck with the other tickets, I'll live. Its not the end of the world and hopefully I can resell them. But I was wondering if there's anything people have said or done that would show you aren't a nobody and you're really gonna fight for a refund. I figured calling same day (same friggen hour) would mean something but apparently it doesn't.

Any help or advice people have would be greatly appreciated. I'm hoping to call back later today to really use the "same day" thing to its hopeful advantage.

Re: OT: Getting/forcing a refund from Ticketmaster
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 5, 2015 20:29

Call again, if a guy answers have your wife or girlfriend deal with them. Seems like lots of folks here have gotten different results just by dealing with different Ticketmaster reps. Good Luck in any case I hope it works out for you.

peace

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: June 5, 2015 21:13

I once had a problem with TM when I was buying a ticket which showed the price as around $180 but when I clicked "buy" they turned out to be $500 VIP. I called immediately and, even though the venue had a "no refund" policy, when I explained it was a glitch in their system, I was given a refund. So you could try that (although it's not technically accurate). It is infuriating when "best available" is anything but. Good luck.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: June 5, 2015 21:20

I hate Ticketmaster. I bought the insurance to two of The Stones Shows just in case I couldn't make it. I just read the insurance policy. They only refund if you have the following reasons. car Accident, Plane was late. Family member in in the hospital, things like that. I guess they can rip you off being a monopoly.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 21:54

More Hot Rocks
I hate Ticketmaster. I bought the insurance to two of The Stones Shows just in case I couldn't make it. I just read the insurance policy. They only refund if you have the following reasons. car Accident, Plane was late. Family member in in the hospital, things like that. I guess they can rip you off being a monopoly.

I used to buy the insurance when I was traveling a lot with work and I bought a ticket to a show that would co-incide with my being in a different city as I was never 100% sure that my trip wouldnt get changed.
After buying it for at least 1/2 dozen shows that I was always able to see, I finally had a trip cut short at last minute and could no longer attend a Ryan Adams show in Oregon. I called TM and tried to make a claim; they denied it, I ended up speaking to a number of supervisors who still said it wasn't covered.
I ended up getting a letter from my manager and sending in all my flight documentation and they finally agreed to honor the policy. Haven't taken it up since.

Posted by: Stones50 ()
Date: June 5, 2015 21:57

I once sent the tickets back with a detailed letter via return receipt and it worked I got refund

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: June 5, 2015 22:19

jrcjohnny99
... I finally had a trip cut short at last minute and could no longer attend a Ryan Adams show in Oregon...

Did he play Summer of 69? grinning smiley

Cereally, Ticketmaster can be a hard nut to crack. One of the reasons for better tickets appearing minutes later is that there is often a large number of people looking for tickets in the early hours of the sale, and they decide not to buy and throw them back in the pool. Happens all the time. It's like playing Russian Roulette or Chicken - do you take the first tickets you are shown, or throw them back and try for better ones yourself? They often allow you to upgrade your tickets once per event, but if the venue doesn't allow that (as seems to be the case here with the Beacon) you may be pooched. Good luck. I'd love to know how it turns out, for future reference.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: June 5, 2015 22:33

I've bought two sets of tickets within minutes of each other - the 2nd set being better.
I called ticketmaster right away and told them their system froze on me and didn't see if the first set went through (a little white lie).
They said they would refund the first set , but said it was a courtesy and can only be done once haha.

I've done this at least several times throughout the years, although it's been quite awhile since I've had to try.

Posted by: trainarollin ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:15

My understanding is that during the first 15 minutes or so scalper bots are pulling the seats and it then gives humans time to decide if they want them or not.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 5, 2015 23:28

Ticketmaster are Wan**rs and always have been. Go elsewhere for tix you want if you possibly can.

Any other promoter etc. I much prefer for face value tix + all the crap extra expenses.

Rip off,unless you can manage to get at box office at venue.

Date: June 5, 2015 23:35

Well I really appreciate all the advice. Nice to see some of you were able to get this refund, when in the past I've heard its total hell. Guess I'm lucky, or I yelled enough this morning. Since I just got the call that the refund was approved by the Beacon. That sounded like the most BS thing that they were gonna email them and "see what they could do", but I guess I should have put a little more faith in it.

Either way, happy with the circumstances and really appreciate everyone sharing some stories and offering advice. Not having to worry about this the next 6 months will make this a lot better. And being in bed with a 102 degree fever today, the last thing I needed to add to my plate was being furious at Ticketmaster lol. Thanks again!

Date: June 5, 2015 23:38

SomeTorontoGirl
Cereally, Ticketmaster can be a hard nut to crack. One of the reasons for better tickets appearing minutes later is that there is often a large number of people looking for tickets in the early hours of the sale, and they decide not to buy and throw them back in the pool. Happens all the time. It's like playing Russian Roulette or Chicken - do you take the first tickets you are shown, or throw them back and try for better ones yourself? They often allow you to upgrade your tickets once per event, but if the venue doesn't allow that (as seems to be the case here with the Beacon) you may be pooched. Good luck. I'd love to know how it turns out, for future reference.
That was about exactly what I was told. And I get thats how the system works, but I've also been told they sell the bad seats first, which there's really no proof of but I would believe. So me and the Ticketmaster supervisor were just arguing about semantics (the original lady I spoke to said no and said it was a waste of time to ask for a supervisor). So either I'm very special or places like the Beacon understand it within 3 hours of the onsale time.

Also, I love Hairball's excuse lol!

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 6, 2015 01:57

I do think that they are being truthful when they say they have to speak to the Beacon (or whoever the promoter of the show happens to be).

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1646
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home