Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Billboard's Boxscore first 2 shows
Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: June 4, 2015 12:15

Rank Artist/Event Venue City/State Event Dates Gross Sales Attend/ Capacity Shows/Sellouts Prices Promoters

1 The Rolling Stones, Gary Clark Jr. Petco Park San Diego, Calif. May 24, 2015 $8,465,082 40,944 / 40,944 1 / 1 $395, $175, $69.50, $29.50 Concerts West/AEG Live

2 The Rolling Stones, Kid Rock Ohio Stadium Columbus, Ohio May 30, 2015 $7,911,843 59,038 / 59,038 1 / 1 $395, $150, $75, $29.50 Concerts West/AEG Live

Re: Billboard's Boxscore first 2 shows
Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: June 4, 2015 12:28

That tells a story - $206 average price per ticket in San Diego vs $131 average in Columbus.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 12:48

drbryant
That tells a story - $206 average price per ticket in San Diego vs $131 average in Columbus.

how so? you'd expect a much larger venue to have more cheap seats, and thus a lower average. they filled 18,000 more seats in columbus, presumably most of them at the cheapest price. that'll skew the average.

Date: June 4, 2015 13:54

Turner68
drbryant

how so? you'd expect a much larger venue to have more cheap seats, and thus a lower average. they filled 18,000 more seats in columbus, presumably most of them at the cheapest price. that'll skew the average.

That was the point. They grossed almost as much from a stadium show in Columbus as the show in San Diego, despite the fact that Columbus had 20,000 more seats (San Diego still had a higher box office, but not by much). I think it is great that they are playing larger venues at lower average prices - allows more people to see the shows. The atmosphere was great last night in Minneapolis.

The 2012 shows in London and Newark, where ticket prices averaged $500+, with the glitzy guest stars and the elite audience, were a bit of a disappointment to me for that reason,

Date: June 4, 2015 13:56

They said they sold 62.000 tickets in Columbus...

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: June 4, 2015 15:34

was last night (Minneapolis) a sell out or somewhat empty?

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 4, 2015 16:40

So if there was any lingering doubt, it should now be cleared up.

It's not about whether it was 'sold out', but rather whether revenue was 'maximized'. They can easily sell out any venue with $80 tickets, but they would lose an awful lot of potential revenue to scalpers, who would in turn adjust the price of the ticket to what the market will bear.

I'm not defending the prices...just an observation. "SOLD OUT" means nothing.

Posted by: MJ78 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 17:40

Turner68
drbryant

I hate when my average is skewed.

The Stones continue to fill stadiums all over the world.

Skewed averages be dammed.

Date: June 4, 2015 17:56

treaclefingers

It's not about whether it was 'sold out', but rather whether revenue was 'maximized'. They can easily sell out any venue with $80 tickets, but they would lose an awful lot of potential revenue to scalpers, who would in turn adjust the price of the ticket to what the market will bear.

An average price of $131 strikes me as being reasonable. Yeah they sell the good seats at inflated prices so scalpels don't get all the premium, but there are also a lot of cheaper seats to go around. I assume that was the case at Columbus.

Date: June 4, 2015 17:58

drbryant
treaclefingers

An average price of $131 strikes me as being reasonable. Yeah they sell the good seats at inflated prices so scalpels don't get all the premium, but there are also a lot of cheaper seats to go around. I assume that was the case at Columbus.

yes. it's very similar to airplane seats. they need to fill every seat, and the expensive seats help keep the average ones less expensive.

what is objectionable is when they do a show that's the equivalent of flying an airplane with only first class seats, there's no good business reason to do it and it alienates fans.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: June 4, 2015 18:26

What strikes me as funny is how they list the ticket prices when obviously the primary sellers are getting WAY more for all the tickets up front and other places too if the demand is high.

Love to see a show where all the seats were sold for $395, $175, $69.50, $29.50, at least from the primary sellers.

The whole profit maximizing thing it not necessarily a good thing for the consumers and if they can advertise that they can implement strict anti-scalper measures for the friggin' LD tickets they can surely do it for the rest of the seats.

peace

Date: June 4, 2015 18:30

Naturalust
What strikes me as funny is how they list the ticket prices when obviously the primary sellers are getting WAY more for all the tickets up front and other places too if the demand is high.

Love to see a show where all the seats were sold for $395, $175, $69.50, $29.50, at least from the primary sellers.

The whole profit maximizing thing it not necessarily a good thing for the consumers and if they can advertise that they can implement strict anti-scalper measures for the friggin' LD tickets they can surely do it for the rest of the seats.

peace

they (the promoter) is probably ok with certain types of scalpers - most notably the more organized ones who buy in bulk. indeed, this probably helps defray some of the risk of promoting a tour.

i have no idea whether this happens, but it would be easy to imagine a concert promoter calling the leading 2-3 scalping operations in each city asking "if i bring the stones how many tickets are you willing to buy at what price"? they could use this to gauge demand. and then before the tickets even go on sale to the general public if the promoters are able to sell 20 or 30% of their tickets to scalpers their risk of a box office disaster is mitigated - the scalpers are sharing the risk that the concerts won't sell well. the reward to the scalpers is they get to charge a premium price if they can. again, i don't know that this happens, but we have all seen shows in 2013-2015 where the scalpers clearly made a nice profit and other shows where they were left holding the bag on a bunch of overpriced tickets.

the process i describe would be best suited to a case like the stones of recent years, where there's a limited number of tour dates and ticket prices are high enough that there is some question as to what the demand will be.

as we all know, the reason they are hardcore about the no scalping on the lucky dip is that some of the tickets are worth $1000s and the idea is for a fan to pay $29.50 for a great seat, not for some scalper to get lucky and win the lottery. if you follow the logic i described above, they don't care about scalping of the more expensive seats and in fact they might find it helpful.

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 18:35 by Turner68.

Date: June 4, 2015 19:00

Yeah of course it probably goes down like that. But releasing huge blocks of tickets to the secondary sellers before the public has a chance at them still doesn't sit right with me. And preventing an individual from scalping a LD ticket while allowing some corporation to scalp thousands of them doesn't either.

I would much prefer to see them just price the tickets at whatever level they need to in order to make a profit on the show. Instigate the strict anti-scalper measures on all of them and keep it simple, fair honest and transparent. If the tickets weren't selling they could always lower the prices....it's pretty obvious no one is going to lose money on a Stones concert...this has become about greedy people trying to milk the maximum amount of money from the fans.

True box office disasters aren't ever going to happen with Stones concerts and if they did it should probably be the Stones themselves taking part of the blow, imo.

btw: Do those Billboard numbers reflect the income from all the seats marked way up by the primary sellers? I get the feeling that, just like the movie business, there is a lot of cash that finds its way to greedy pockets though creative accounting.

peace

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 4, 2015 19:08

@CullenShane A lady gave me free tickets while I was biking in the rain. Who said BMW drivers are cocks? #RollingStones
[twitter.com]

Awesome how this guy got in! But I wonder, was it a random act of kindness or a measure taken to fill up the place?

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 19:45

Sellout my ass....I was at Columbus, hell most of our entire section was lucky dips originally priced much higher, plus there was tons of room to move around and entire rows were not sold so people naturally spread out. Yes, did it look full in pictures and videos you saw?..sure...but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 19:46 by mnewman505.

Date: June 4, 2015 20:12

mnewman505
Sellout my ass....I was at Columbus, hell most of our entire section was lucky dips originally priced much higher, plus there was tons of room to move around and entire rows were not sold so people naturally spread out. Yes, did it look full in pictures and videos you saw?..sure...but that doesn't tell the whole story.

Are you talking Minneapolis or Columbus? I agree that San Diego seemed to be the only true sold out show so far. Stadium shows will always have tickets available up to the time of the show so technically none of them ever truly sell out.

But as treacle points out I think as long as profits are maximized truly selling out a stadium is not necessary for the show to be considered very successful by the promoter.

I am curious what the back sections looked like last night and whether the upgraded a bunch of LD ticket holders to fill unsold seats closer to the stage.

peace

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: June 4, 2015 20:27

mnewman505

The "sellout" thing is just ego; Columbus supposedly had a 64,000 capacity; 59k sounds about right based on what I could see in the stands from the floor.
tbh 59k in a market like Columbus is outstanding, there were plenty of naysayers saying that they wouldn't sell more than 30k; and at $131 ave it actually shows you it wasn't too heavily discounted.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:43

Just saying: In 1997, the Stones gig at the same venue of Ohio had been reported as sellout, with a similar number of tickets. 60,621. And if the floor wasn't seated in 1997, I suppose the capacity was a bit bigger then.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:48

laertisflash
And if the floor wasn't seated in 1997, I suppose the capacity was a bit bigger then.

The floor was seated in 1997.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: June 4, 2015 21:57

Thanks erikjjf.

Date: June 4, 2015 22:38

Naturalust
Yeah of course it probably goes down like that. But releasing huge blocks of tickets to the secondary sellers before the public has a chance at them still doesn't sit right with me. And preventing an individual from scalping a LD ticket while allowing some corporation to scalp thousands of them doesn't either.

I would much prefer to see them just price the tickets at whatever level they need to in order to make a profit on the show. Instigate the strict anti-scalper measures on all of them and keep it simple, fair honest and transparent. If the tickets weren't selling they could always lower the prices....it's pretty obvious no one is going to lose money on a Stones concert...this has become about greedy people trying to milk the maximum amount of money from the fans.

True box office disasters aren't ever going to happen with Stones concerts and if they did it should probably be the Stones themselves taking part of the blow, imo.

btw: Do those Billboard numbers reflect the income from all the seats marked way up by the primary sellers? I get the feeling that, just like the movie business, there is a lot of cash that finds its way to greedy pockets though creative accounting.

peace

i agree but it seems show business deals these days are totally focused on minimizing financial risk. performers get guaranteed up front fee, sponsorships are sold to cover fixed costs, insurance is bought for everything, secondary market for tickets leveraged, etc.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: June 4, 2015 22:59

Correct Selling Out a Venue does not matter...What matters is the Stones have Sold Out. I used to think that they have earned the right but 2 Albums in 18 years is a joke. In 2013 tickets were available at most arenas up until show time, the $650.00 side of stage were dropped to $175.00 in Oakland - San Jose - Vegas & Chicago...Oh and lets not forget abouth Merch-Sales averaging $40.00 per person...tag on another $2,000.000.00 per 50,000...That is correct selling out a venue does not matter.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-04 23:00 by 2120Wolf.

Date: June 4, 2015 23:04

2120Wolf
Correct Selling Out a Venue does not matter...What matters is the Stones have Sold Out. I used to think that they have earned the right but 2 Albums in 18 years is a joke. In 2013 tickets were available at most arenas up until show time, the $650.00 side of stage were dropped to $175.00 in Oakland - San Jose - Vegas & Chicago...Oh and lets not forget abouth Merch-Sales averaging $40.00 per person...tag on another $2,000.000.00 per 50,000...That is correct selling out a venue does not matter.

strong point. it used to be that just 2 albums in 18 months was average.

Posted by: 2120Wolf ()
Date: June 5, 2015 00:31

Turner68
2120Wolf

Yeah...I Love Em'...but it is disappointing...

Date: June 5, 2015 06:16

2120Wolf
Turner68
2120Wolf

Yeah...I Love Em'...but it is disappointing...

I think it's about managing one's expectations. We've gotten a lot of new material from them over the last few years, and a helluva lot of concerts and archived live material.

I'd love a new album as well, and we may get one but to expect more than we're getting is being a bit presumptuous I think.

Date: June 6, 2015 12:38

I checked all day today, couldn't find anything decent for Dallas. I have been checking the secondary sites and ticketmaster for "drops", but there really isn't anything in the front field sections priced near face.

I will be in Denver, and have a free day. Could easily make the trip for $200 round trip, but not to sit in the bleachers, or in a $400 seat at the back of the field. On the bright side, coincidentally U2 will be playing in Denver tonight, and great tickets can be had for $200-$300. I usually try to see them once per tour, so I might as well do it. I was hoping that there would be unsold platinum tickets or diamond package tickets dropped at lower prices, but haven't found anything for Dallas. Same thing happened in San Diego. I swear, if you want a good seat (anything not requiring you to stare at the screens all night), this tour is actually harder to find tickets than 2013.

Date: June 7, 2015 15:38

Tried until 10:00 a.m. show day, but couldn't find a single decent floor seat for less than $1000. Ended up staying in Denver and bought a ticket to see U2, which was priced below face - $200 and just 8th row off floor in the premium "side sections". Powerful show, but to be honest, I probably would have rather been in nosebleeds for the Stones in Arlington. Oh well.

Date: June 7, 2015 20:21

drbryant
Tried until 10:00 a.m. show day, but couldn't find a single decent floor seat for less than $1000. Ended up staying in Denver and bought a ticket to see U2, which was priced below face - $200 and just 8th row off floor in the premium "side sections". Powerful show, but to be honest, I probably would have rather been in nosebleeds for the Stones in Arlington. Oh well.

Interesting to hear. They are probably the second best live rock band touring at the arena/stadium level. They were stones caliber back in 91 but I guess they too have declined. Say what you will about this stones tour, and lord knows I do, but I have no doubt that their epitaph will say that the way they were able to continue to play extremely well live into their 70s (and hopefully 80s!) remains one of their lasting legacies.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-07 20:22 by Turner68.

Date: June 7, 2015 23:18

Turner68
drbryant

Interesting to hear. They are probably the second best live rock band touring at the arena/stadium level. They were stones caliber back in 91 but I guess they too have declined. Say what you will about this stones tour, and lord knows I do, but I have no doubt that their epitaph will say that the way they were able to continue to play extremely well live into their 70s (and hopefully 80s!) remains one of their lasting legacies.

yeah, in 91 U2 were unbelievable.

Date: June 8, 2015 11:34

Don't get me wrong - it was a great show. Personally, I found it a bit 'gimmicky' with a large screen that comes down, at times hiding band members, and multiple stages and ramps, and fans onstage. It was all a bit distracting. However, I think the new material actually works live and would recommend the show even for "casual" fans. The Edge still shreds that guitar.

Just personally, I would rather see the Stones on a sloppy night than U2, or any other band in the world, on their best night. But it was a lot easier finding a good seat for U2 in Denver than the Stones in Dallas.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-08 11:38 by drbryant.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1033
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home