Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13
Re: Rolling Stones set to play Knebworth this summer?
Posted by: grzegorz67 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 12:28

Fantastic! We're booking hotels, checking train timetables and car hire costs and still no gig anounced yet. smiling bouncing smiley

I'm off to join Nate in the queue after work tonight. Only 9 weeks' more waitingthumbs up

Come on guys! How about goin' home to your home country. You've not played here in 2 years and we Miss You.

>grinning smiley<

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 12, 2015 12:36

And while we're at it, I suggest a London Club Show to even things out.

Club Show Count since 2012
2x France
3x California
0x Norway
0x Australia
0x Great Britain

Seriously, what's up with that?

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 12, 2015 12:43

Yes Nikkei! A club show at the Royal Albert Hall would be ideal.

About the smallest place that they would play in London , but what a great venue it is.

Date: June 12, 2015 13:07

I don't think they've played there since 1966 Tony, although someone please correct me if I'm wrong. It all comes down to the Promoter. If a Promoter offers enough loot for them to do Knebworth,I think it'll probably happen. I hope it's not the catastrophic AEG.

Unfortunately I note they are doing the Who in Hyde Park. They've done better by me than last time though - I actually got my ticket on Wednesday, just days after ordering.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: June 12, 2015 13:18

It's only wishfull thinking about RAH.

After July 15th,still plenty of the summer left in Europe so just gotta hope something will happen. smiling smiley

Date: June 12, 2015 13:24

Yeah I know smiling smiley They did club shows in London on the VL, BtB and Licks Tours though so nothing's impossible. If they did a show as big as Knebworth I'd imagine they might want to do a club show in advance to oil themselves up, if they've been off the road a month.

Good point re 'Plenty of Summer'. If something does happen, I'd think it would be the UK rather than Europe.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: June 12, 2015 13:45

odean73
EddieByword
odean73
EddieByword
odean73
From what i remember from 76 its not a far walk from the stations, we went by coach.

I remember sleeping on the top of a motorway enbankment and getting our food soaked by petrol or some sort of oil by one of those trafficl petrol lamps that we nicked for some light.
Then running down the embankment and spraining my ankle, which was a good start for the day.
for the last hour of the concert managed to get in fifty yards of the stage and saw the magic of the stones there and then.

I am not sure if we actually slept in the park that same night.Couldent see that happaning now thou.

I'm not sure what the situation is now either but for the '70s shows there was a huge campsite and parking up by the roundabout....

Trust me to miss the huge campsite.>grinning smiley<

Too much H & S rules now and too much red tape/insurance.

I did think there would be more reaction to this potential concert.

There you go odean ....might trigger a few memories......[www.iorr.org] .....

Thanks. thumbs up

No problem - me and my girl camped out for the New Barbs in'79 - when we got back to the tent we found another couple had been shagging in it, they left some items of clothing eye popping smiley .....but included was a really nice brand new 'fisherman's' jumper - I wore that for years after............

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 12, 2015 15:48

crawdaddy
Yes Nikkei! A club show at the Royal Albert Hall would be ideal.

About the smallest place that they would play in London , but what a great venue it is.

RAH is fully booked for this year.

Bryan Ferry wanted to reschedule one of his shows, but he has to find another venue.

Posted by: MarthaTuesday ()
Date: June 12, 2015 16:19

This is a good rumour to return to!

I've hardly had any chance to check out IORR recently (very glad to see BV's blog because I wouldn't have the time to catch up on all the Zip Code tour reports, etc).

I'm going to join those of you booking hotels and checking travel plans simply because of a rumoured show...

Does feel silly checking out travel plans for a show that might/probably won't happen - but why not?

I'm thinking if it did happen there might be coaches back to London (I think Sonisphere did that - a coach company set up coaches to and from the festival).

I don't know Stevenage, Knebworth or the surrounding area at all but I think Luton airport is nearby? It might be possible to get to Luton airport (cab?) and then get an all night coach to London.

I'm still going to make a provisional hotel booking.

Posted by: jrcjohnny99 ()
Date: June 12, 2015 16:26

Seems like most big acts choose the Roundhouse when they want to do a smaller show in London....

Date: June 12, 2015 16:30

Martha,

Bjornulf has added the rumour to his News page and he said something along the lines of "his plans for an uphill race in Norway will have to go that weekend if this happens". In the past, if a rumour is clearly nonsense, he has tended to come out and say so. He hasn't here and has quietly referred to it a couple of times. That leads me to firmly believe that the Stones or their promoters are in negotiation, which may or may not have a positive outcome. The fact that they've been on the road for 2.5 years, on and off with no gigs in their homeland for 2 years says to me the time is right too.

In the meantime the hoteliers of Stevenage, hardly a tourist attraction, must be bamboozled about taking a flurry of hotel bookings 2 months in advance confused smiley

Date: June 12, 2015 16:34

Hi Gregor,

Things do sound positive! I don't want to get my hopes up too much - but nevertheless....hot smiley hot smiley

I thought I'd join others here so have just made a booking at the Stevenage Ibis! Can cancel so nothing lost.

Date: June 12, 2015 16:38

Easy enough for you Martha - I thought you were based in London ? I'd drive across from Swindon in the wee small hours and camp out from 6am. No accomodation needed for me cool smiley Just bring a kagool in case it rains. I too am tentatively hopeful here. The band do read this so hopefully it will reassure them that sufficient demand is there for a big gig and persuade them.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-12 16:40 by grzegorz67.

Date: June 12, 2015 18:14

grzegorz67
Easy enough for you Martha - I thought you were based in London ? I'd drive across from Swindon in the wee small hours and camp out from 6am. No accomodation needed for me cool smiley Just bring a kagool in case it rains. I too am tentatively hopeful here. The band do read this so hopefully it will reassure them that sufficient demand is there for a big gig and persuade them.

Yes, should be easy for me. I am in London for now but I'm looking at relocating. Probably won't have done by August but hotel booked just in case.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 12, 2015 19:03

Here's a short documentary about the 1976 Knebworth concert. It was posted on this thread on Buy/Sell/Trade forum by EddieByword (thanks a lot, Eddie! smiling smiley ), but it's on YouTube now.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-16 23:19 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: carouslambra ()
Date: June 12, 2015 19:31

Hope you all enjoy the Country show. There is no way this will be cancelled at short notice. Surely the week after is more likely if the Stones are to play there at all. Keep booking the hotels for the 15th, that will leave plenty of rooms for me when a different date is announced.lol

[www.oakleighfairs.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-12 19:32 by carouslambra.

Posted by: Nate ()
Date: June 12, 2015 20:13

carouslambra
Hope you all enjoy the Country show. There is no way this will be cancelled at short notice. Surely the week after is more likely if the Stones are to play there at all. Keep booking the hotels for the 15th, that will leave plenty of rooms for me when a different date is announced.lol

@#$%& the country fair the stones are coming to town.

Nate >grinning smiley<

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 12, 2015 20:24

Nate
carouslambra

@#$%& the country fair the stones are coming to town.

Nate >grinning smiley<

Not on the August 15, they're not!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: June 12, 2015 20:32

Again.

The managing director of Lytton Enterprises / Knebworth Estates would love to see the Stones return.

Martha Lytton Cobbold told the Welwyn Hatfield Times: “We were just as amazed and excited as others to read of The Rolling Stones interest in playing Knebworth Park this summer.

“There are no plans at present, but we are delighted to know they are interested.

“2016 would be the 40th anniversary of their 1976 performance here, so would be the most likely time for such a show – but we would be thrilled to have them play Knebworth again!”

She added: “While we would be delighted to host the Rolling Stones at Knebworth again, it is just a wonderful suggestion at the moment.

“We do not have any information on a proposed concert for the Rolling Stones.”
[www.whtimes.co.uk]

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 12, 2015 20:41

Ofcourse, the managing director wont say anything. Its in her written contract, not to speak about a certain show from the stones, by the band !!!

I know this is so, because the Pinkpop boss, has claimed the same thing, when the stones played there last year. he was not allowed to mention ANYTHING about the band playing.

jeroen

Date: June 12, 2015 23:10

just booked a room at Ibis Stevenage , just in case ...

Really hope this dream will come true smiling smiley

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:22

Will be great to meet many Iorrians in Sevenage !!
Jeroen

Posted by: Nikkei ()
Date: June 13, 2015 00:24

Yeah, it would be much more fun meeting in Stevenage than in Sewerage eye popping smiley

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: June 13, 2015 01:44

Just booked Ibis. You never know!
Expensive already. 110 US Dollar per night.
Cross my fingers!

(Always took candy from strangers)

Date: June 13, 2015 02:23

I've booked 1 night in the Hotel 'Under the Stars'. £0 a night winking smiley

Did the same for Hyde Park 1 (but not 2)

Date: June 13, 2015 04:21

Quote - Cristiano Radtke - Here's a short documentary about the 1976 Knebworth concert. It was posted on this thread on Buy/Sell/Trade forum by EddieByword (thanks a lot, Eddie! smiling smiley ), but it's on YouTube now.

EDIT
I got it about 14 years ago off a BBC cameraman - I don't think it's been in circulation before.....hope you like it,, although short.....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-16 23:32 by EddieByword.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: June 13, 2015 12:01

EddieByword

Yeah, EddieByword posted it.........eye rolling smiley ......(it's the first time in circulation (for what it's worth & as far as I know........I got off a BBC camara man about 14 years ago.....just remembered I had it with all this talk of a second show.....

...and we thank you for sharing it.

It's so good on many levels. Not only the coverage of the event - I just love the fact that its reported as the last ever show! But also the background shots for the rest of the clip. A historian's dream in my view.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: June 13, 2015 12:21

CaptainCorella
EddieByword

Yeah, EddieByword posted it.........eye rolling smiley ......(it's the first time in circulation (for what it's worth & as far as I know........I got off a BBC camara man about 14 years ago.....just remembered I had it with all this talk of a second show.....

...and we thank you for sharing it.

It's so good on many levels. Not only the coverage of the event - I just love the fact that its reported as the last ever show! But also the background shots for the rest of the clip. A historian's dream in my view.

Cheers Captain, I appreciate that .......smileys with beer ..... yeah, that 'Farewell concert' bit would be good in one of those video montages the Stones do now and then................it's actually wonderous, I think, the way it's all turned out, hundreds of shows later.........

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-06-13 13:08 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Niek ()
Date: June 13, 2015 14:16

grzegorz67
I've booked 1 night in the Hotel 'Under the Stars'. £0 a night winking smiley

Did the same for Hyde Park 1 (but not 2)

It is so much nicer to sleep under stars.
Like to bring my VWT3 but don't dare to drive on left side of the road.
Hope the weather is the same as Hyde Park!

(Always took candy from strangers)

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: June 13, 2015 14:29

Hotels are getting expensive smiling smiley....googled Novotel just for the fun of it

Goto Page: Previous1234567891011...LastNext
Current Page: 6 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1657
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home