Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Stones Mono Albums
Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 3, 2015 01:30

philrock90
scottkeef
Well. maybe my ears are just not smart enough to know but the Promo SF KICKS ASS..especially "Knockin"...it just smokes..leaving the stereo version in the dust as much as the LP Stereo "Tumbling Dice" cannot compete with the 45 MONO release.

tumblin dice mono wow not heard that one

shoot me a email, I'll send it to you (if you want)

Posted by: philrock90 ()
Date: May 3, 2015 01:35

scottkeef
philrock90
scottkeef
Well. maybe my ears are just not smart enough to know but the Promo SF KICKS ASS..especially "Knockin"...it just smokes..leaving the stereo version in the dust as much as the LP Stereo "Tumbling Dice" cannot compete with the 45 MONO release.

tumblin dice mono wow not heard that one

shoot me a email, I'll send it to you (if you want)

Emailed

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 3, 2015 03:52

philrock90
treaclefingers
philrock90
i have let it bleed mono original pressing... i still need to find a aftermath mono to maybe download if anyone can help?

Hi Phil, do you mind my asking, do you have the 'complete' package with poster and stickered album cover? Is the word DECCA in a box or open letters on the label?

nope i don't have the poster or sticker on the album Decca is in a box it has the original pink inner with the hole on the back to show if its mono or stereo

That is the second pressing then, that also is quite valuable...I have neither, just the two DECCA stereo variations open letters and boxed.

Date: May 3, 2015 09:58

treaclefingers
philrock90
treaclefingers
philrock90
i have let it bleed mono original pressing... i still need to find a aftermath mono to maybe download if anyone can help?

Hi Phil, do you mind my asking, do you have the 'complete' package with poster and stickered album cover? Is the word DECCA in a box or open letters on the label?

nope i don't have the poster or sticker on the album Decca is in a box it has the original pink inner with the hole on the back to show if its mono or stereo

That is the second pressing then, that also is quite valuable...I have neither, just the two DECCA stereo variations open letters and boxed.

I'm still debating whether to get a stereo copy on vinyl

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 3, 2015 10:27

treaclefingers

As far as I know the second pressing (boxed Decca) of LIB is even more valuable and quiet rarer cause pressed a few months only.

Tom

Posted by: Blueranger ()
Date: May 3, 2015 11:29

deardoctortake1
Blueranger
whitem8
It is a shame they didn't release the Mono pressing of Sticky Fingers with the Deluxe box set.

Why? It's a folddown from the stereo mix. Nothing is different except that it's the two signals combined into one.

Wow, I always thought and heard it was a different mix, combined with the rarity of the mono WLP, hence the high price tag. Been searching for a copy or at least the audio for years.

Is there a sample of the audio anywhere aside from the 45 of Brown Sugar?

In all my years, the only different mono mix I ever heard was the Mono Sympathy for the UK Beggars, and No Expectations from the 45

It's a common misunderstanding Sticky Fingers in mono are a dedicated mix. It's simply a folddown from the stereo. Be ones guest and do it yourself from your stereo copy and you will have a personal treasure! ;-)
To include the mono folddown in the new package would be a total waste of space.

However, the single mono mixes of Brown Sugar, Bitch and Sway, ARE different and great mixes.

Regarding Stones mono mixes, the Chess tracks from 1964 are also simply folddowns from the 3-track stereo recordings. The same with Beggars Banquet, except for Sympathy For The Devil. The 45 single mix of Street Fighting Man is also dedicated, but the B-side, No Expectations, is also a fold.

Let It Bleed is a folddown as well.

Beware that the US copy of Aftermath, is also a folddown, while the UK is a dedicated mix.

The very first UK run of Satanic, was a dedicated mix. However, that shifted to a folddown almost from the beginning. However, the US mono, is and has always been a dedicated mono mix.

Posted by: electricmud ()
Date: May 3, 2015 11:40

...and not to forget the mono mix of Between The Buttons (UK) !

Tom

Date: May 3, 2015 11:57

electricmud

Tom

So is the mono mix a folddown?

Date: May 3, 2015 11:58

philrock90
electricmud

Tom

So is the mono mix a folddown?

No, a dedicated mix indeed.

Date: May 3, 2015 12:02

There is a dedicated US promo mix of SF. That one does NOT sound like a fold down to me. I believe there were only made five copies of this one.

Date: May 3, 2015 12:14

DandelionPowderman
There is a dedicated US promo mix of SF. That one does NOT sound like a fold down to me. I believe there were only made five copies of this one.

Cool I do have a mono mix but not sure if its the fold down I downloaded it

Date: May 3, 2015 12:20

philrock90
DandelionPowderman

Recently? A cd-r version of the vinyl is circulating now. Great stuff! I got a pic of the vinyl label with the download as well.

Date: May 3, 2015 12:25

DandelionPowderman
philrock90
DandelionPowderman

Recently? A cd-r version of the vinyl is circulating now. Great stuff! I got a pic of the vinyl label with the download as well.

I got it about a week ago I gave it a listen it did sound good

Date: May 3, 2015 12:30

Me too thumbs up

Date: May 3, 2015 16:59

DandelionPowderman

And how do you tell that it is not folded? Where is the differences?
The DJ copy everyone is raving about, is a fold without question.

Why should they make a dedicated mix of an entire album and then only make 5 copies of it? It sounds strange, and not very logical if you ask me. I will hear it before I believe it.

Date: May 3, 2015 17:10

A fold down usually won't sound great. Drop me an email, and I'll send it to you tomorrow, Blueranger.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: May 3, 2015 17:59

Blueranger
deardoctortake1
Blueranger
whitem8
It is a shame they didn't release the Mono pressing of Sticky Fingers with the Deluxe box set.

Why? It's a folddown from the stereo mix. Nothing is different except that it's the two signals combined into one.

Wow, I always thought and heard it was a different mix, combined with the rarity of the mono WLP, hence the high price tag. Been searching for a copy or at least the audio for years.

In all my years, the only different mono mix I ever heard was the Mono Sympathy for the UK Beggars, and No Expectations from the 45

It's a common misunderstanding Sticky Fingers in mono are a dedicated mix. It's simply a folddown from the stereo. Be ones guest and do it yourself from your stereo copy and you will have a personal treasure! ;-)
To include the mono folddown in the new package would be a total waste of space.

However, the single mono mixes of Brown Sugar, Bitch and Sway, ARE different and great mixes.

Regarding Stones mono mixes, the Chess tracks from 1964 are also simply folddowns from the 3-track stereo recordings. The same with Beggars Banquet, except for Sympathy For The Devil. The 45 single mix of Street Fighting Man is also dedicated, but the B-side, No Expectations, is also a fold.

Thanks for the great interesting info

On the No Expectations 45 and on the Singles collection LP/CD, it sounds like a different mix of Brians slide,no? It's not audible like the stereo

Of course street fighting man is a separate take altogether

also sway is a different vocal take and instrument mix on the 45

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-03 18:00 by deardoctortake1.

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: May 4, 2015 01:45

So just like BS,Bitch and Sway..Tumbling Dice and All Down The Line were legit MONO 45 releases so are they fold down or real mono? All I know is the mono TD kicks the crap outta the LP..

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: May 4, 2015 07:10

I have Got Live If You Want It and Flowers in mono, both sound great. I went on ABKCO's Facebook page and asked them if they were going to release the stones 60's albums in mono on cd like the The Beatles did and all they said was "we'll see,stay tuned" that was a year ago.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: May 4, 2015 08:20

Blueranger
deardoctortake1
Blueranger
whitem8

Beware that the US copy of Aftermath, is also a folddown, while the UK is a dedicated mix.

The very first UK run of Satanic, was a dedicated mix. However, that shifted to a folddown almost from the beginning. However, the US mono, is and has always been a dedicated mono mix.

I think I now understand what a "fold-down" is compared to a "dedicated mono mix." But, ultimately, they're both just mixes, right, of material recorded in a multi-channel environment? Were any Stones albums ever recorded "natively" in mono, or was that not done by the 60's?

Date: May 4, 2015 08:42

GimmieChris
I have Got Live If You Want It and Flowers in mono, both sound great. I went on ABKCO's Facebook page and asked them if they were going to release the stones 60's albums in mono on cd like the The Beatles did and all they said was "we'll see,stay tuned" that was a year ago.

Do you have these for download or vinyl only?

Date: May 4, 2015 09:04

LongBeachArena72
Blueranger
deardoctortake1
Blueranger
whitem8

I think I now understand what a "fold-down" is compared to a "dedicated mono mix." But, ultimately, they're both just mixes, right, of material recorded in a multi-channel environment? Were any Stones albums ever recorded "natively" in mono, or was that not done by the 60's?

Sure, but the difference is that a dedicated mono mix are made for a mono signal, with a balanced soundscape. A mono folddown from a stereo mix, will leave an unbalanced soundscape. Therefore, they made dedicated mixes in mono back in the sixties. With The Beatles' wild overdubbing and multitrack recording, the stereo and mono mixes became quite different, and sometimes created really different mixes, resulting even in different solos, vocals etc, because of editing performances together from multiple takes.
With The Stones who had a very different recording habit, mostly recording live or with very few overdubs, it's not resulting as different soundscapes than with The Beatles. However, there are some differences, but they are subtle. "Yesterday's Papers" and "Sympathy For The Devil" are examples of different sounding mixes with different elements not heard in stereo.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 4, 2015 09:07

scottkeef
So just like BS,Bitch and Sway..Tumbling Dice and All Down The Line were legit MONO 45 releases so are they fold down or real mono? All I know is the mono TD kicks the crap outta the LP..

They are real mono.

As you are (as I am) a great fan of the TD single, you can quite easily hear the difference in arrangement on the TD single, compared to the LP version. The breakdown section is a giveaway smiling smiley Great great stuff.
And to my recollection, somebody should check it, ADTL is mono on EXILE too, except for the background singers and horns thats in stereo, thus making it "stereo". ADTL is stereo on the Hopkins tape I believe.

Date: May 4, 2015 14:11

Blueranger
DandelionPowderman

And how do you tell that it is not folded? Where is the differences?
The DJ copy everyone is raving about, is a fold without question.

Why should they make a dedicated mix of an entire album and then only make 5 copies of it? It sounds strange, and not very logical if you ask me. I will hear it before I believe it.

Why should they make five vinyl copies of a fold down mono mix?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-04 14:12 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: RobberBride ()
Date: May 4, 2015 14:50

It is true that this mono label is different than the usual white SF promo label.
The RS-13653-PR is the mono code and the RS-ST .... is the stereo.
So mono labels do exist.
Note that Brown Sugar is above the spindle hole on the mono label and below on the stereo.

I remember disussing this with the highly regarded JR back in 2009 or earlier.
He usually knows what he talks about, but to my ears the mono we all discuss is a folded down stereo, and JR is the only one I know of to date who have clamied it is real mono. Or to put it differently, most arguments I have heard about it stems from a comment he did back then about the "five copies".

I don´t know.

One thing is for sure. The "mono" SF sounds great. Why shouldn´t it. And the positively mono-mixed singles (Sway et al) SMOKES!

Date: May 4, 2015 14:53

RobberBride
It is true that this mono label is different than the usual white SF promo label.
The RS-13653-PR is the mono code and the RS-ST .... is the stereo.
So mono labels do exist.
Note that Brown Sugar is above the spindle hole on the mono label and below on the stereo.

I remember disussing this with the highly regarded JR back in 2009 or earlier.
He usually knows what he talks about, but to my ears the mono we all discuss is a folded down stereo, and JR is the only one I know of to date who have clamied it is real mono. Or to put it differently, most arguments I have heard about it stems from a comment he did back then about the "five copies".

I don´t know.

One thing is for sure. The "mono" SF sounds great. Why shouldn´t it. And the positively mono-mixed singles (Sway et al) SMOKES!

Wouldn't it be easy to compare, say, the Sway dedicated mono mix with Sway on this one - to establish whether it's the same mix or not?

There's usually a considerable difference between a fold down and a dedicated mono mix.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-05-04 14:58 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: tioms ()
Date: May 4, 2015 14:57

The hardest to find in mono:

DECCA: HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR MOTHER LIVE!

UK pressing in red label mono NOT the LONDON MONO.

If someone needs a DECCA mono "Let it Bleed" DECCA red label. NO LONDON label!

or:

If someone needs that DECCA MONO: HAVE YOU SEEN YOUR MOTHER LIVE!

Let me know.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: May 4, 2015 15:02

tioms

or:

Let me know.

Well, - you´re more than welcome to contact me, regarding the
HYSYML - Decca - Mono ! ! ! (- and I´m serious ! )
henrikbb@live.dk
spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: May 4, 2015 15:25

tioms

or:

Let me know.

I'm interested in the have you seen your mother mono

Posted by: GimmieChris ()
Date: May 4, 2015 15:28

Vinyl only.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1594
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home