Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...156157158159160161162163164165166...LastNext
Current Page: 161 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: August 1, 2015 01:36

Naturalust
HMS
People dont go to Stones-concerts to hear stretched out guitar-solos. That´s not what Stones-style-Rock n Roll is about. Jagger/Richards maybe were at first fascinated by Taylor´s skillful playing but as time marched on they become very well aware that this kind of playing was counterproductive and would only lead them to nowhere, because with Taylor the music began to lose its roughness and became more and more boring, as you can easily hear on albums like GHS and IORR.

And that´s why a certain guitar-player whose name I dont need to mention fits better. He brought back the roughness they had almost lost. All of a sudden they sounded fresh and sparkling again.

Actually as I understand it, guitar solos and such were exactly what people did go to see in the early 70's and even the late 70's. It wasn't until the 80's and beyond the that sort of thing became less popular. The Stones knew what they had with Taylor and encouraged and exploited his playing just as they should have.

How you have such intimate knowledge of what Jagger/Richards wanted 40 years ago is impressive, especially since both men clearly expressed their dismay of Taylor leaving the band at the time. I personally feel Taylor would have grown with the Stones, kept them more rock and blues oriented and likely produced an even better Some Girls, Emotional Rescue, Tattoo You and many others. Of course we will never know but I tend to agree with Charlie on his recent quotes about the situation.

there is plenty of footage of mick and keith literally telling MT to cool it with the noodling while on stage. i think this is well known to frequent visitors to this thread. no reason to pretend otherwise. whether you disagree or not is of course a matter of taste.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: August 1, 2015 02:00

I have only seen one, Tumbling Dice '72. Would love to see and hear more examples.

Date: August 1, 2015 02:14

LuxuryStones
I have only seen one, Tumbling Dice '72. Would love to see and hear more examples.

there is at least one of MJ on the most recent tour, during CYHMK

Posted by: TravelinMan ()
Date: August 1, 2015 02:47

So Jagger did last year or so and Keith Richards allegedly in 1972. Great point.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 1, 2015 02:53

Turner68
LuxuryStones

Feel free to post a couple of these plenty of examples of Mick and Keith telling MT to cool it onstage. I'm not saying it didn't happen I just think you may be confusing arrangement ques with any true suggestion to cool it. I do recall plenty of examples of Mick literally telling Taylor to "take it away" and go off on a solo however.

Date: August 1, 2015 04:55

TravelinMan
So Jagger did last year or so and Keith Richards allegedly in 1972. Great point.

the video of KR doing it in 72 is widely circulated.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: August 1, 2015 06:40

Turner68
TravelinMan

Its from L&G isn't it? I just can't see it as a big deal. By '73 they were playing a version of TD that seemed to incorporate what Taylor had started noodling in this instance. I personally prefer Keith's way really..and also Brown Sugar without the slide and so on.. but I love Brussels for what it is.. and for Taylor taking it in one direction (with the rest of the band it seemed to me). It was just a different way for doing it that time out. I don't think it would've stayed that way even if Taylor had remained in the band.

But again, I just don't see the significance of Taylor occasionally overreaching. I thought his CYHMK in Chicago was tedious really - but Mick and Keith were being rather indulgent on that occasion. I suspect the reason Jagger actually gave the cut throat sign at the Staples was because it was the first time they were doing CYHMK and Jagger wasn't prepared for where Taylor was going and so did not have his maracas at the ready and a plan of what to do with himself. We see by the last time they perform it at Glastonbury its not a problem at all. And really, if we are going to include the Staples show as an example, then its only fair to add that Jagger and Richards were all smiles at the end, and Jagger had Taylor take a bow....

Date: August 1, 2015 07:12

just found this blurb on MT on the rolling stones' official site:

[www.rollingstones.com]

it seems very balanced.

Struggling with lifestyle issues, angered over what he saw as deprivation of composition right, uncomfortable with strained relationships between other members, he took his leave. “Nobody leaves the Rolling Stones!” declared fellow band members; but Mick was gone.

“To ask if I regret leaving The Rolling Stones is to ask the wrong question”, he notes. “The hard one to answer is, do I regret joining them?”

Since leaving, despite intermittent effort to reactivate a career around what was undoubtedly a magical talent, Mick Taylor has never achieved anything like the commercial, or creative success that he contributed to in the early seventies when he was a Stone.

What’s also an interesting question is, “Have The Rolling Stones ever been as good as they were when Mick Taylor was in the band?”

Date: August 1, 2015 11:23

Naturalust
Turner68
LuxuryStones

Feel free to post a couple of these plenty of examples of Mick and Keith telling MT to cool it onstage. I'm not saying it didn't happen I just think you may be confusing arrangement ques with any true suggestion to cool it. I do recall plenty of examples of Mick literally telling Taylor to "take it away" and go off on a solo however.

There are two videos then, as far as I know.

Date: August 1, 2015 12:17

LuxuryStones
Naturalust
Turner68
LuxuryStones

you're forgetting about the footage captured in the movie "Gimme Shelter" from Altamont where Keith literally has to stop the song and point at MT and say (in the mike, so everyone could hear) "hey man, if that cat doesn't cool it, we're not going to play". although there may be other examples, it's the only one i can recall where they actually stopped the song to lecture Taylor about noodling.

Date: August 1, 2015 12:43

Turner68
LuxuryStones
Naturalust
Turner68
LuxuryStones

you're forgetting about the footage captured in the movie "Gimme Shelter" from Altamont where Keith literally has to stop the song and point at MT and say (in the mike, so everyone could hear) "hey man, if that cat doesn't cool it, we're not going to play". although there may be other examples, it's the only one i can recall where they actually stopped the song to lecture Taylor about noodling.

Altamont? Keith was busy with the chaos in the audience If I remember it well, the music had to stop and it had nothing to do with Taylors noodling. I don't think Keith could lecture Taylor anything about noodling anyway, for better or worse. smiling smiley

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: August 1, 2015 13:08

Turner68
LuxuryStones
Naturalust
Turner68
LuxuryStones

In the words of John McEnroe,"You cannot be serious"!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-01 13:33 by bonddm.

Posted by: HMS ()
Date: August 1, 2015 13:17

Keith became more and more discontented with what Taylor was doing. Keith soon felt instinctively that Taylor was the wrong guy. Taylor and Keith were no good team, but Ronnie and Keith are a good team. Being a good team is worth more than having a virtuoso player in the group.

Funny, when Exile and Sticky Fingers are considered as masterpieces, than it´s all Taylor who is to praise for it. When GHS and IORR are considered mediocre albums (I prefer the term boring), it´s all Keith´s and Mick´s fault and "you can´t blame Taylor". What is Taylors contribution to the Stones anyway? A solo on CYHMK, a fade out on Sway, on Exile he was never allowed to shine, so nobody would have missed him if he wasn´t on the album at all. On GHS/IORR he is most prominent on the weakest spots of these albums. The few enjoyable moments on these albums would have been better with Ronnie playing...

His solo-career totally failed, not even Taylor-friendly Stones-fans were interested in his solo-work and refused to buy his records. So it seems (to me) that Taylor appeals only to a very very small group of Stones-fans.

Posted by: lapaz62 ()
Date: August 1, 2015 13:47

None of the others have really had a solo career, Woods should be in the Entourage movie, cause that's all his career has been, riding on the coat tails of others.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: August 1, 2015 14:39

This thread is turning into a sh&t-throwing contest I love it! >grinning smiley<

Imo Mick and Keef had a wisdom about the essence of rock MT didn't have. Groove, ability to lock in a common musical wave are key, musical dexterity isn't.

I was listening to the Norfolk'72 gig the other day : the source taken from vinyl has MT high in the mix and Keef mia. Gues what? On YCAGWYW the music sounds hollow and boring. After a few dozen seconds of MT-soloing I started to think "hey this thing could go on for another 10 seconds or 10 minutes and I wouldn't care". I MISSED hearing Keef locking in with Charlie and Bill. MT wasn't locking in with anybody he was going "blah-blah-blah" with his guitar.

So yeah during the 69-74 years MT was a great icing on the cake but without a cake the icing is pointless.

Posted by: matxil ()
Date: August 1, 2015 16:01

dcba
This thread is turning into a sh&t-throwing contest I love it! >grinning smiley<

Imo Mick and Keef had a wisdom about the essence of rock MT didn't have. Groove, ability to lock in a common musical wave are key, musical dexterity isn't.

I was listening to the Norfolk'72 gig the other day : the source taken from vinyl has MT high in the mix and Keef mia. Gues what? On YCAGWYW the music sounds hollow and boring. After a few dozen seconds of MT-soloing I started to think "hey this thing could go on for another 10 seconds or 10 minutes and I wouldn't care". I MISSED hearing Keef locking in with Charlie and Bill. MT wasn't locking in with anybody he was going "blah-blah-blah" with his guitar.

So yeah during the 69-74 years MT was a great icing on the cake but without a cake the icing is pointless.

That's the difference between Mick Taylor/Eric Clapton like players on one hand and Keith and Ron Wood like players on the other: the interaction with the rest of the band.
You could see it in the recent shows with Taylor and the Stones as well: as great as his soloing was, he didn't interact with Charlie or Keith or Ron and even his interaction with Mick's harmonica playing was often more off than on. He's a wonderful guitar player, but not a wonderful band player.

But - as stated before (I am planning to restate it on page 250 of this thread) - in the end the quality of the Stones output depends on how connected Mick (Jagger) and Keith are in the writing and creation process. And this, as we all know and most would agree, has been lacking in the past 30 years.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-01 16:02 by matxil.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 1, 2015 16:47

bonddm
Turner68
LuxuryStones
Naturalust
Turner68
LuxuryStones

There are two videos then, as far as I kPerha.

In the words of John McEnroe,"You cannot be serious"!!

Indeed this has got to be the the worst example of Keith telling Taylor to cool it because of his noodling that I have ever hear. I'm pretty sure you must be joking it which case it is indeed humorous, but if not I believe you may have missed the whole point of the interaction of the Stones and the violence that was happening off stage at Altamont. You were joking weren't you?

And HMS, you talk like you have great knowledge of Keiths feelings and intentions back in the early 70's. It might help if you state that these are your opinions and not write them as if they are facts because as I see it there is little or no actual facts to back up your claims. Also please try to refrain from turning this into a Taylor vs Wood debate since that has been discussed to death, often results in unfriendly interactions and serves little purpose in a discussion of Mick Taylor.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:10

Thank you for that statement Naturalust. Sometimes I wonder about the level of passion in these discussions are on par with adult maturity.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:16

PhillyFAN
Thank you for that statement Naturalust. Sometimes I wonder about the level of passion in these discussions are on par with adult maturity.

PhillyFAN,

Please could you clarify?

Olly.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:24

matxil
dcba

That's the difference between Mick Taylor/Eric Clapton like players on one hand and Keith and Ron Wood like players on the other: the interaction with the rest of the band.
You could see it in the recent shows with Taylor and the Stones as well: as great as his soloing was, he didn't interact with Charlie or Keith or Ron and even his interaction with Mick's harmonica playing was often more off than on. He's a wonderful guitar player, but not a wonderful band player.

But - as stated before (I am planning to restate it on page 250 of this thread) - in the end the quality of the Stones output depends on how connected Mick (Jagger) and Keith are in the writing and creation process. And this, as we all know and most would agree, has been lacking in the past 30 years.

Regardless what meaning the kind of interaction has within a show one has to keep in mind that MT participated just for two songs at most shows.
The show I attended was in Düsseldorf ,June '14,one of the last ones of the european leg.
As far as I noticed there has been much interaction,for what its worth.

And to HMS : No question you are entiteld to your opinion although I don't know what it's based on.
I don't share it.

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: August 1, 2015 17:33

Olly
PhillyFAN

PhillyFAN,

Please could you clarify?[/quote

Hi Oily. Honestly no. I can say this, I have been a fan since seeing them live in Philly in 1969. Never forgotten that show. So I am probably partial to that version of the band. However I am a big fan of today's version and really like Ron Wood, especially The Faces years and thought he was the perfect guitarist to follow Taylor.

Some folk on this site become really vicious and ridicule other posters for simply having opinions that don't agree with their point of view. Not only this thread. So I rarely post anymore. I just read now to keep up with band news. Thank you for asking though!

Date: August 1, 2015 17:45

Thanks, PhillyFAN.

Olly.

Date: August 1, 2015 18:08

Turner68
TravelinMan

What's he say? "Double the riff"? Most of the time Taylor would double it and then add some more notes (counterpoint) and come back to it.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: August 1, 2015 18:08

In my opinion HMS needs to be banned by BV until he learns to get his FACTS
straight. Altamont was a terrible situation and Keith was horrified about
the violence in the audience. He was not "picking on" Mick Taylor.

Date: August 1, 2015 18:09

dcba

That's because you listened to melody without the harmony. Without the harmonic context of what Taylor was playing to it doesn't make sense, although it may still be pretty.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 1, 2015 18:09

Naturalust

Or Jagger telling Taylor to "bring it home".

Date: August 1, 2015 18:11

stonesrule
In my opinion HMS needs to be banned by BV until he learns to get his FACTS
straight. Altamont was a terrible situation and Keith was horrified about
the violence in the audience. He was not "picking on" Mick Taylor.

stonesrule,

Who are you quoting?

Olly.

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 1, 2015 18:18

haha...

but getting back to the L&G footage of keith getting angry at MT.
I reckon it has something to do with them wanting to be "perfect" for the "live" album that they had practised for in Dallas.
Keith being the perfectionist that he is.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-01 18:20 by Eleanor Rigby.

Date: August 1, 2015 18:19

LuxuryStones

Me too, I know quite some stuff from the Taylor era, but this is the only footage I know of where it did happen.

So be a man Turner, and prove what you simply only state. We are all curious and interested.

Date: August 1, 2015 18:25

Turner68

This must be a joke, otherwise you are really totally out of order. So I take it as a joke as long as you don't dispute it.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...156157158159160161162163164165166...LastNext
Current Page: 161 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1411
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home