Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...163164165166167168169170171172173...LastNext
Current Page: 168 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor - wiped guitar parts list?
Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: August 27, 2015 15:26

HMS
Not enough noodling wiped, imho. Please Minimise or/and wipe MT on the next reissues of GHS/IORR.

The Stones were obviously very aware that wiping had to be done.
wha? Ghs? Iorr? I actually agree on if you cant rock me and dance little sister. But the wiping was likely keith bring keith. He dominated others like that from what i can tell.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: August 27, 2015 15:28

LieB
There are a couple of places on Ya-Ya's where Taylor's parts were replaced by overdubs by Richards. I quote from [www.iorr.org]

JJF - Taylor partially removed during the outro section (the E - D - C# - B parts)
Carol - Taylor's main rhythm part, overdubbed by Richards. Taylor's counter turn-arounds still present
Midnight Rambler - Taylor removed during parts of the slow, middle piece. Probably due to tuning problems / tuning up
Little Queenie - Taylors main rhythm guitar replaced by Richards
Honky Tonk Woman – Taylor’s rhythm guitar replaced in the solo section

There are probably a few places on Exile, but I don't know for sure. Rocks Off has a Taylor guitar mixed very low in the middle of the field. I'm pretty sure it was a production/mixing decision to mix it low and let Keith's two guitars in either channel dominate the tune. But I'm not sure if anything has was wiped.

There's an early mix of Rip This Joint with more lead guitar fills by Taylor that's been wiped for the final version.

Really? I always thought MR on GYYYO the only original track.

Posted by: FP ()
Date: August 27, 2015 15:48

There is a rehearsal of Rip This Joint with Taylor slide that is not on the released version. However this feels like practice jam through it rather than something then wiped as the slide is a bit out of tune.

While I like some of the ideas I can understand why it was not recorded like this as the slide does not really fir with the 50's rock and roll vibe Keith was after.

video: [www.youtube.com]

I do however love the slow version of Lovin Cup with lots of Taylor! Let It Loose from Exile could have used some Taylor as it reminded me of I Got The Blues so some cool weaving would have been good.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 15:49 by FP.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: August 27, 2015 15:54

The Stones always record many tracks and in the end use the ones that sound best for a particular song. Early versions with different tracks float around, but I wouldn't use the word 'wiped', they were just not used in the end.

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: August 27, 2015 16:10

FP
There is a rehearsal of Rip This Joint with Taylor slide that is not on the released version. However this feels like practice jam through it rather than something then wiped as the slide is a bit out of tune.

While I like some of the ideas I can understand why it was not recorded like this as the slide does not really fir with the 50's rock and roll vibe Keith was after.

video: [www.youtube.com]

You have a point there -- I agree that the slide doesn't sound good -- but the rest of the recording sounds identical to the basic track of the released version. It's possible that Mick T's sloppy slide is an overdub, a sort of try-out that was replaced later. He does play slide on the released version (unless that's Keith, but I don't think it is).

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: August 27, 2015 16:37

yep that's Keith on Rip This joint - slide parts

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: August 27, 2015 16:58

In regards to Taylor's 'wiped-guitars' on the Ya-Ya's release: one has to ask, why?

Date: August 27, 2015 17:02

Big Al
In regards to Taylor's 'wiped-guitars' on the Ya-Ya's release: one has to ask, why?

Why does stuff get wiped out? Could be technical problems, interfering notes, lack of punch. Could be anything, really.

My guess is that on LQ and C, in particular, Keith (or Mick, Keith and Jimmy, probably) felt that those songs needed some extra rhythm guitar.

Date: August 27, 2015 20:10

I remember hearing a version of Brown Sugar where Taylor plays a counter melody under the chorus. It is the melody he tends to play live.I can't seem to find it now, does anyone know which take this is?

I maybe simply mistaken of course. So far I have heard a version with Taylor playing some simple arpeggios and a very brief solo and then another with more Keith lead guitar on the intro as well as the Eric Clapton version. God how many mixes are there of this tune! There is also a version on Hot Rocks that is different I think?

I used to wish BS has some Taylor guitar on it but apart from the counter melody he did not seem to play anything that really changed the vibe of the song, at least not on the studio version.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-27 20:11 by FP.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: August 27, 2015 20:20

Koen
The Stones always record many tracks and in the end use the ones that sound best for a particular song. Early versions with different tracks float around, but I wouldn't use the word 'wiped', they were just not used in the end.

That's it. And considering it was probably only Keith, Mick and the engineers and producer in the studio for the final mix sessions, it's logical that Keith would be recruited to redo tracks that had issues. Maybe there was a bit of Keith's ego involved, who knows? He was obviously capable of doing just about all the rhythm work but probably knew he couldn't touch Taylor's lead stuff.

Date: August 27, 2015 20:21

FP
I remember hearing a version of Brown Sugar where Taylor plays a counter melody under the chorus. It is the melody he tends to play live.I can't seem to find it now, does anyone know which take this is?

I maybe simply mistaken of course. So far I have heard a version with Taylor playing some simple arpeggios and a very brief solo and then another with more Keith lead guitar on the intro as well as the Eric Clapton version. God how many mixes are there of this tune! There is also a version on Hot Rocks that is different I think?

I used to wish BS has some Taylor guitar on it but apart from the counter melody he did not seem to play anything that really changed the vibe of the song, at least not on the studio version.

The version with the arpeggios is Keith. Taylor did the solo. You can hear clearly that the arpeggios are on the same channel as the embryonic Berry licks (right channel). I just posted that version for you in one of the Taylor threads you created today smiling smiley

Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: August 27, 2015 21:24

DandelionPowderman
That's crazy, kleerie. He's all over IORR, except for the title track and ATPTB.

He's even important on SAC, even though Keith plays the lead guitar.

Are you saying I'm crazy? grinning smiley

He's not on Ain't TPTB, Luxury and IORR, and only a snippet of his guitar on S&C.

He stands out on three songs: Time WFNO, FF and (with Keith) on Dance LS. That's about it.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: August 27, 2015 21:25

RobertJohnson
LieB
There are a couple of places on Ya-Ya's where Taylor's parts were replaced by overdubs by Richards. I quote from [www.iorr.org]

JJF - Taylor partially removed during the outro section (the E - D - C# - B parts)
Carol - Taylor's main rhythm part, overdubbed by Richards. Taylor's counter turn-arounds still present
Midnight Rambler - Taylor removed during parts of the slow, middle piece. Probably due to tuning problems / tuning up
Little Queenie - Taylors main rhythm guitar replaced by Richards
Honky Tonk Woman – Taylor’s rhythm guitar replaced in the solo section

There are probably a few places on Exile, but I don't know for sure. Rocks Off has a Taylor guitar mixed very low in the middle of the field. I'm pretty sure it was a production/mixing decision to mix it low and let Keith's two guitars in either channel dominate the tune. But I'm not sure if anything has was wiped.

There's an early mix of Rip This Joint with more lead guitar fills by Taylor that's been wiped for the final version.

Really? I always thought MR on GYYYO the only original track.

I can't speak to any of the claims in the original post, but I can say that after hearing the bootleg of the Baltimore show (Nov 26), Love In Vain is 100% live. Every note, every word matches up with GYYYO.

Date: August 27, 2015 21:43

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
That's crazy, kleerie. He's all over IORR, except for the title track and ATPTB.

He's not on Ain't TPTB, Luxury and IORR, and only a snippet of his guitar on S&C.

He stands out on three songs: Time WFNO, FF and (with Keith) on Dance LS. That's about it.

I would never refer to you as "that" grinning smiley

He certainly stands out more on IYCRM than on DLS, sonically and quality-wise.

Date: August 27, 2015 21:45

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman

I would never refer to you as "that" grinning smiley

He certainly stands out more on IYCRM than on DLS, sonically and quality-wise.

Okay, now I see the comma. cool smiley

Date: August 27, 2015 21:48

He he >grinning smiley<

Date: August 28, 2015 00:34

DandelionPowderman
FP

The version with the arpeggios is Keith. Taylor did the solo. You can hear clearly that the arpeggios are on the same channel as the embryonic Berry licks (right channel). I just posted that version for you in one of the Taylor threads you created today smiling smiley

Thanks I will check it out!

Date: August 28, 2015 00:51

DandelionPowderman
He he >grinning smiley<

Just a quick unrelated question...is that emoticon a thumbs up smiley or someone flipping the bird with both hands and a sarcastic smile on his face?

Date: August 28, 2015 01:27

Thumbs up smiley for the (almost) clever rebound comment from kleerie.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-28 01:27 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: August 28, 2015 01:33

Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
He he >grinning smiley<

Just a quick unrelated question...is that emoticon a thumbs up smiley or someone flipping the bird with both hands and a sarcastic smile on his face?

Double bird flip. >grinning smiley<

Date: August 28, 2015 02:25

His Majesty
Naturalust
DandelionPowderman
He he >grinning smiley<

Double bird flip. >grinning smiley<

Sure looks that way to me. The red face, the hand on both sides of the upraised finger. Besides we already have this thumbs up for the thumbs up. I'm going with your answer HM, never used that emoticon before (because of my confusion) but if I do I want everyone to know what I mean. grinning smiley

Date: August 28, 2015 02:37

It's known as the "@#$%& you" smiley.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-28 02:41 by His Majesty.

Date: August 28, 2015 02:41

His Majesty

Someone better tell DP.

Date: August 28, 2015 02:54

Naturalust
His Majesty

Someone better tell DP.

I see bv has re-named it the "thumbs up smiley".

Date: August 28, 2015 03:09

His Majesty
Naturalust
His Majesty

Someone better tell DP.

Well they say a picture is worth a thousand words, certainly worth more than three describing it and the two it characterizes. Thank you for clearing this up for me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-08-28 05:01 by Naturalust.

Date: August 28, 2015 14:01

Re Goats Head Soup

I feel it becomes a stronger album if you add Tops and Waiting on a Friend to it. I don't know what state the tunes were in during the GHS sessions but if they were reasonably complete I think it is a shame they were not included.If it was a timing issue I would happily remove Coming Down Again.

Dancing with Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Waiting on a Friend
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
Silver Train
Tops
Hide Your Love
Winter
Can You Hear the Music
Star Star

Date: August 28, 2015 14:19

His Majesty
Naturalust
His Majesty

Someone better tell DP.

Like I would have any hesitation giving kleerie the finger if I wanted to...

This was a laughing thumbs up smiling smiley

Date: August 28, 2015 14:39

DandelionPowderman

>grinning smiley<

Date: August 28, 2015 15:51

His Majesty
DandelionPowderman

>grinning smiley<

Now I am confused, not knowing if I have to feel offended or not!eye rolling smiley

Date: August 28, 2015 15:55

FP
Re Goats Head Soup

I feel it becomes a stronger album if you add Tops and Waiting on a Friend to it. I don't know what state the tunes were in during the GHS sessions but if they were reasonably complete I think it is a shame they were not included.If it was a timing issue I would happily remove Coming Down Again.

Dancing with Mr. D
100 Years Ago
Coming Down Again
Waiting on a Friend
Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)
Angie
Silver Train
Tops
Hide Your Love
Winter
Can You Hear the Music
Star Star

Tops and Waiting FAF would destroy the whole unique GHS-mood.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...163164165166167168169170171172173...LastNext
Current Page: 168 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1810
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home