Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 307
Re: Mick Taylor Talk - what's on your mind right now...
Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: April 13, 2015 15:01

LuxuryStones
DandelionPowderman
LuxuryStones

It just sounds... tough and cool thumbs up

Absolutely, the third when Keith plays that C (intro) he hits that bull right between the eyes.cool smiley

Maybe this is why we don't get many surprises. I believe that repetition equals perfection in latter day Stones. It must be difficult to remember their vast catalogue of music and then to play different numbers every night. Somedays I have to remember where I parked my car. As much as I want to see Mick Taylor back, it simply may be too much work to rearrange songs and than remember how to play them with a 3rd guitar without mistakes. Those Silver Train's were not great versions even with Taylor. I believe they could have been great if they rehearsed them properly given the fact that song was played once since 1973?

Mick Taylor with Dr John 1987
Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: April 13, 2015 13:04

Never heard this before. Some nice playing all round: [youtu.be]

Re: Mick Taylor with Dr John 1987
Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 13, 2015 13:30

terraplane
Never heard this before. Some nice playing all round: [youtu.be]

Thanks for posting. Some great genuine blues. Even with a clean sound Taylor has a good sustain here.

Re: Mick Taylor with Dr John 1987
Date: April 13, 2015 13:55

Same night when Keith joined in?

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: April 13, 2015 16:09

Listening to Essen 70 I always have to laugh. A big group of fans in front of stage (no fence!) were screaming for Satisfactin all through the gig. Jagger got furious and pulled a bottle of beer over their heads. Good gig it was.

Posted by: LuxuryStones ()
Date: April 13, 2015 17:06

Funny story, you must have attended the show?

Posted by: Phil Good ()
Date: April 13, 2015 17:31

CousinC
Listening to Essen 70 I always have to laugh. A big group of fans in front of stage (no fence!) were screaming for Satisfactin all through the gig. Jagger got furious and pulled a bottle of beer over their heads. Good gig it was.

I attended that show too and, in fact, in front row.
I had my elbows on the edge of the stage right in front of where
Keith mostly stays.
Well, I do remember well, that Jagger, bored by the screaming, sang without the mike "I c'ant get no Satisfaction" just that one line and only one time.
You could only hear it when you was that near by as I was.
What a day!

Edited to add:
CousinC, just for the record there was a fence with just a few security guys behind it.
But at the same moment the lights went out and the Stones came on stage we entered that fence and nobody tried to avoid it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-13 17:40 by Phil Good.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: April 13, 2015 19:09

PhillyFAN
Here is Mick Taylor's version of Silver Train. He does know how to play it and very well in fact. Don't know what happened with the Stones version last year but here it is...

[www.youtube.com]

Although I don't care for Carla's country diva vocals, MT and the band definitely nail it. Thanks for the post.

peace

MT Thread Closure?
Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 03:33

Just noticed that the Mick Taylor thread was closed...How come? Some of the best posters and some really outstanding and well-written thoughts were in that thread. How does it work? Is that topic banned? Thanks in advance...

Re: MT Thread Closure?
Posted by: Cocaine Eyes ()
Date: April 14, 2015 03:44

palerider22
Just noticed that the Mick Taylor thread was closed...How come? Some of the best posters and some really outstanding and well-written thoughts were in that thread. How does it work? Is that topic banned? Thanks in advance...

Oh darlin', you have no idea how many times my posts have been moved into oblivion, deleted, just plain shunted aside.

BV runs and CONTROLS this site. You'll get used to it!!smiling smiley

CE smoking smiley

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 03:57

Wow, first Mick Taylor gets closed down, then his thread gets closed down. Sad, sad, sad.

Date: April 14, 2015 04:08

Why ??!

Date: April 14, 2015 04:16

My guess is that it's a combination of the moderator not personally liking the fact that it was so popular and that some posters chose to use it to make personal attacks on the Taylor folks, carried that BS over to the Ronnie Wood thread and tried to make this a Wood vs Taylor thing again, which of course it wasn't. The Ronnie Wood thread was closed for that reason.

I agree the Taylor vs Wood thing is a futile and worn subject but to see a thread that was dedicated to Taylor, who has given us and the Stones so much in his short tenure, was very disheartening. Especially after is was neatly tucked into a single thread and we were given specific instructions to use that thread for all Taylor discussions. I thought people complied very well.

I sincerely hope we are given another opportunity to express our thoughts on both Taylor and Wood, but not Taylor vs. Wood and I apologize for any contributions I may have made along those lines. I tried to keep the whole vs thing out of my posts and even discourage folks who insisted on trying to make that the issue.

71Tele said it best: "The discussion about Mick Taylor does not imply any disrespect toward Ron Wood. The fact that Taylor is still discussed and missed so much here is indicative of [the] impact of his work with the band during a very fruitful and creative period."

peace

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 14, 2015 04:19

With all due respect to bv, who I feel generally has a great deal of patience, as well as obviously being a great Rolling Stones fan, I do find the decision unfortunate....and in my opinion, in a class by itself.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 04:20 by SweetThing.

Posted by: muffie ()
Date: April 14, 2015 04:33

I'd like to see the thread re-instated. IORR is an important interface between the fans and the Stones as I gather the latter visit here.

If not then it's pretty clear the elephant in the room (MT and Stones musicianship) is to remain ignored.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 14, 2015 04:37

Seems to me having one place to vent kept things in good order here. BV has his hands full as MT is the center of the bands biggest controversy. I hope our good vibes reach the great guitarist who may be feeling lonely and used this summer while the band performs Sticky Fingers.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 04:38 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 14, 2015 04:48

Sad day when a thread about the greatest lead guitarist in the Stones' history has been closed... confused smiley

Posted by: palerider22 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 04:50

I really looked forward every day to the ongoing discussion. There were some really excellent and thought-provoking posts on that thread and I don't recall many posts that crossed the line. I posted there a lot I don't think I ever mentioned Ron Wood or diminished him in any way. My main point was really to add to the mix, not compare anyone or denigrate the band. I'm a big Mick T
Taylor fan but still a Stones fan, Ronnie included...

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: April 14, 2015 04:54

palerider22
I really looked forward every day to the ongoing discussion. There were some really excellent and thought-provoking posts on that thread and I don't recall many posts that crossed the line. I posted there a lot I don't think I ever mentioned Ron Wood or diminished him in any way. My main point was really to add to the mix, not compare anyone or denigrate the band. I'm a big Mick T
Taylor fan but still a Stones fan, Ronnie included...
Yes, I and many others did the same. Ronnie has been Taylor's biggest public supporter and a real stand-up gentleman throught the whole thing.

Date: April 14, 2015 05:17

There is a solution to the problem of course....someone could start a new thread grinning smiley (specifying that no Taylor vs Wood posts are not allowed). If I wasn't already on thin ice......perhaps some innocent newbie will do it for us.

The other unfortunate result of this is that since the Ronnie Wood thread was also closed, we don't have anywhere to discuss 25% of the current Stones. I guess we all now have a better idea of what it's like to live in China or North Korea.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 05:46 by Naturalust.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 14, 2015 05:27

Of course whenever Taylor is praised there has to be a defensive reaction about Wood, even when the Taylor discussion is not "anti-Wood". Certain people become very insecure whenever the issue of Taylor and the Stones is discussed, however thoughtfully.

We are on safe ground discussing tour dates and travel info. Getting into band politics, or heaven forbid, actual debate about the music, seems to bring on the Thought Police.

The lesson is clear: Stick to the party line. Do not question. Ironic on a site about a band which made its name with irreverence and the questioning of authority.

Date: April 14, 2015 05:43

oops

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-04-14 05:44 by Naturalust.

Date: April 14, 2015 05:46

Whatever . .
Topics repeat themselves and there will be Taylor vs. Wood debates as long as there are some Stonesfreaks around. lol

But it was not the reason for the Taylor thread.

Date: April 14, 2015 05:47

Naturalust
oops

Censoring yourself?

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: April 14, 2015 05:59

it seems BV censored himself by closing the MT thread he started, interesting indeed....

Date: April 14, 2015 06:07

71Tele
Naturalust
oops

Censoring yourself?

Not in this case, just a mistake. But censorship moderation is not my favorite subject at the moment.

peace

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 14, 2015 07:10

Naturalust
My guess is that it's a combination of the moderator not personally liking the fact that it was so popular and that some posters chose to use it to make personal attacks on the Taylor folks, carried that BS over to the Ronnie Wood thread and tried to make this a Wood vs Taylor thing again, which of course it wasn't. The Ronnie Wood thread was closed for that reason.

I agree the Taylor vs Wood thing is a futile and worn subject but to see a thread that was dedicated to Taylor, who has given us and the Stones so much in his short tenure, was very disheartening. Especially after is was neatly tucked into a single thread and we were given specific instructions to use that thread for all Taylor discussions. I thought people complied very well.

I sincerely hope we are given another opportunity to express our thoughts on both Taylor and Wood, but not Taylor vs. Wood and I apologize for any contributions I may have made along those lines. I tried to keep the whole vs thing out of my posts and even discourage folks who insisted on trying to make that the issue.

71Tele said it best: "The discussion about Mick Taylor does not imply any disrespect toward Ron Wood. The fact that Taylor is still discussed and missed so much here is indicative of [the] impact of his work with the band during a very fruitful and creative period."

peace

That's like trying to have a thread about Republicans and Democrats but NOT R vs. D...

The Ronnie Wood thread had got quite "vs" and I'm not surprised it was closed - but I was surprised that the gate of the MT thread corral was shut - it was doing its job of providing a place for an interesting discussion and keeping the controversy out of the hair of people who didn't want it intruding on other tour talk - and it hadn't degenerated into Taylor vs Wood mud-slinging. Maybe bv thought that if one was closed, the other one should be too, out of some kind of fairness - but it's a shame.

Date: April 14, 2015 08:45

Naturalust

peace

You have nothing to apologize for.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 14, 2015 09:04

Hmm, I too enjoyed some of the insightful conversation in that thread. One thing for sure Mick Taylor garners continuing interest within The Stones, what was and what could have been will remain in some of our minds. And I really like how Ronnie is gracious about MT, jamming with him and seemingly helping him out. Good humanity in my opinion.

Date: April 14, 2015 09:16

Thanks Tele. I wasn't sure, just know that I posted on that thread quite a bit so I wanted to take some of the responsibility. I can only hope Bjornulf recognizes the desire of people here to continue to have some Mick Taylor dialogue and re-opens the thread, it's the right thing to do. A Rolling Stones forum without Mick Taylor talk is like guitar without a G string, you can still play it but some of the most expressive notes are somehow out of reach.

peace

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...5152535455565758596061...LastNext
Current Page: 56 of 307

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1836
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home