Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
Info needed. I have a Mick Jagger Walter Payton football jersey from "Tattoo You Tour" 1981
Posted by: Silverbee ()
Date: March 8, 2015 03:24

Hi,

I'm hoping some out there may be able to help me out. The Tattoo You tour was a sell out here in the US. I remember waiting overnight for tickets which sold out both shows in our local area. In fact, it sold out three people before me so I left empty handed and horribly disappointed.

But since I thought it was their last tour, I skipped school to dial a local radio station which was giving away two tickets to the 96th caller every few hours. I had to have tickets! I must have made dozens of attempts and actually won two tickets. Everyone in my high school was suddenly my best friend. smiling smiley

Two years later, my father who was an artisan in gold leafing, stenciling, etc was commissioned to decorate and stencil Mick's new brownstone in the West End of NYC. My dad actually slept at the brownstone and came home on weekends. Mick would stop by to see how things were coming along. I did get to meet him briefly.

My father told him about how hard I tried to get tickets to the concert. My dad had bought a Stones album in NYC and asked if he would autograph it and Mick also gave my dad a football jersey which I assume was for the Tattoo You Tour.

I've kept it in mint condition and it's 34 years old. It's cropped with a pair of scissors at the bottom like some of the other football shirts.I've been trying to research the shirt's provenance (if there is one).

It has "JAGGER" on the back and it the legendary Chicago Bears Hall of Fame Walter Payton's #34 shirt. It has no tags and is small so it was custom made to fit him.

But I can't seem to find any info if he wore it in a concert. Mick wore many football jerseys with the football pants on that tour. Several dates/venues were added due to fans' requests.

I'd show pics but there doesn't seem to be a way to upload pics unless I am missing something.

Can anyone help shed some light? Thanks!

Re: Info needed. I have a Mick Jagger Walter Payton football jersey from "Tattoo You Tour" 1981
Posted by: camper88 ()
Date: March 8, 2015 03:37

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-28 15:09 by camper88.

Re: Info needed. I have a Mick Jagger Walter Payton football jersey from "Tattoo You Tour" 1981
Date: March 8, 2015 03:50

In my text box there is only a button to "insert image url" not insert pics from my hard drive. I don't have the pics posted on a URL but I have pics which I'd love to share. Just don't see a button to insert the pics or upload image.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 8, 2015 03:53

Silverbee

I'd show pics but there doesn't seem to be a way to upload pics unless I am missing something.

Can anyone help shed some light? Thanks!

The method to upload photos is pretty clearly outlined in the forum help and policies section linked at the top of this Tell Me forum list.

Basically you must first upload the pic to a photo sharing website, then copy the link to that location and place a couple of IMG identifiers before and after the pic.

Good luck, sounds like you've got a cool T-shirt.

peace

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-08 03:54 by Naturalust.

Date: March 8, 2015 07:02

Thank you. It's my first time posting on a forum.

Posted by: Stoner72 ()
Date: March 8, 2015 07:46

The presence of number thirty-four doesn't qualify it as a Walter Payton jersey.

Lots of players wore that number...

Posted by: StonedInTokyo ()
Date: March 8, 2015 08:16

Stoner72
The presence of number thirty-four doesn't qualify it as a Walter Payton jersey.

Lots of players wore that number...

For the Bears, it was only worn by Walter Payton from 1975 to 1987. Regardless, I find this story incredibly hard to believe. Even so, I will check my files to see if one was ever worn by Jagger in concert.

Posted by: 6s7s9s ()
Date: March 8, 2015 08:41

He only wore a Philadelphia Eagles jersey on that tour.

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: March 8, 2015 08:49

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 02:20 by Plink.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 8, 2015 08:59

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Plink ()
Date: March 8, 2015 09:24

Edited 5 time(s). Last edit at 2022-07-23 02:20 by Plink.

Date: March 8, 2015 09:32

Rockman, are you sure that pic w/ Mick in the green #24 jersey is from Chicago?

YEAH not sure if it's correct.......That's just whats listed in the book ...

ROCKMAN

Date: March 8, 2015 09:37

ROCKMAN

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: March 8, 2015 15:30

cool story silverbee and welcome to the board.

I use photobucket.com to post photos. Just create an account (for free) and upload the photos there. You then can copy the IMG url into your post. You can check to see whether that worked by hitting the preview button below your post prior to posting the message.

Good luck!

Posted by: batonrouge75 ()
Date: March 8, 2015 16:01

6s7s9s
He only wore a Philadelphia Eagles jersey on that tour.

Jagger wore a #33 Dallas Cowboy jersey during the 1981 Dallas concert.

Posted by: bluegreenvinyl ()
Date: March 8, 2015 17:02

he always tailored his jerseys to the city where he was performing

Date: March 8, 2015 18:20

bluegreenvinyl
he always tailored his jerseys to the city where he was performing

That's what I also remember. Can't imagine they'd play a city wearing a different city's jersey.

Date: March 8, 2015 18:59

OMG Pink!! That's it!! That's the shirt!! I'll post my pics later today. Thank you so much! You see this jersey has special meaning to me on many levels.

My father, who is in hospice passing, worked for over 50 years as an artisan with my uncle and cousins. He was a master artist trained in Germany and my grandfather and great grandfather trained my father and my uncle. Together and separately they did stenciling, gold leafing, hand striping, and faux finishes in many celebrities' homes in NYC and Fairfield County CT the 1980's.

A decorator from NYC would hire them to do this work. My father and uncle have restored many historic homes and churches including the Mark Twain House which took many years. I used to run around the Mark Twain House as a child, as my dad would bring me there. There were many articles in newspapers about my dad and uncle and cousins, who also carried on the tradition. That's how they were found by NYC decorators and that style of decor was very much in demand at that time. My uncle and cousins decorated Stephanie Seymour's home with Peter Brant.

As my father is passing, I think about the great talent and knowledge he has that will be lost forever. I was thinking about all the places his work will live on including Mick Jagger's home. My father has a portfolio, which I have to locate in his home but he has pics of Mick, which he took out the window. Mick is on the outside walk and my dad called to him. He snapped the photos as Mick looked up and smiled. He also has photos of the work he did in his brownstone. I whispered in his ear the other day, as he is very weak, of how proud I am of all the amazing gifts and talents he gave through his artwork.

While I cannot bring my sons to the private homes where his work still resides, I can bring them to all the historical homes and churches where his work is on public display. For those who don't believe - that's fine but I hope you get to visit the Mark Twain House in Hartford, CT. There you will see the talent, hard work, years of training and craftsmanship of my father, uncle and cousins which was painstakingly created.

My dad came to US in 1954 speaking no English and a few hundred dollars in his pocket. He then went on to do some beautiful work in stunning homes which is one of a kind. He and my uncle hand designed a Moorish stenciled ceiling, in Mick's music room which incorporated his initials into the design.

My dad was never starstruck and so talked to celebs with ease. I was too shy to even say hello the few minutes I saw Mick Jagger. My dad said Mick was very friendly and down to earth with the workers in the house.

I really hadn't though about the jersey in a long while but since he is passing, I pulled it out. I started to wonder about the provenance. I first had to research whose shirt it was because I have no brothers and dad was a soccer fan being from Germany. It is definitely Payton's shirt and number. It is navy blue and has the white #34 with orange borders on front and back. "JAGGER" is all white letters. The hem was cropped with scissors. The sleeves have three orange stripes bordered with white and the #34.

I was such a huge Stones' fan and the fact that my dad thought to get an album autographed for me means the world. He told Mick how crushed I was at the concerts being sold out and how I skipped school to try and win that contest which miraculously I did. WTIC was giving away the tickets to two sold out shows at the Hartford Civic Center. Mick was really sweet and told my dad if he had known us then, we would have been given back stage passes. My dad has met many wealthy and famous people but it's not just the Rolling Stones connection of this jersey - my dad really liked Mick as a person. He loved Mick's sense of humor.

I am SO very proud that my dad's work will live on in so many historical homes and special homes such as that West End brownstone. When my dad came home with the album and the shirt I was thrilled. It's in pristine condition as I kept it that way because it wasn't just a Mick Jagger shirt, which is certainly reason enough, but because I received it due to my dad's talents and ability to do amazing artwork. It's pretty special for a man who came with great talent and a few hundred dollars.

Thanks Pink - my dad has so little time left. Thinking about all he has created and how hard he worked makes his passing a little easier to deal with though I'm heartbroken. The jersey reminds me of my dad as much as it does Mick and that tour.

Date: March 8, 2015 19:07

Sorry - I meant "thanks Plink". I was reading and typing while crying. You gave a great gift today.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: March 8, 2015 19:24

Great story Silverbee. Sorry to hear about your dad, sounds like he is a much loved and very talented man. Feel free to post a picture of his work.

Looking at the photo, the shirt does appear to be cropped at the bottom and since Mick probably didn't wear the same shirt twice, it appears you have the shirt he wore in that concert. Good thing it was so small and probably didn't fit you or I can imagine it would be pretty worn out after 34 years. smoking smiley

peace

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: March 8, 2015 19:37

Talk about combining two of my childhood favorites. I'd make you an offer if it came close to fitting me. But it wouldn't.

Date: March 8, 2015 19:41

hopefully this worked

Date: March 8, 2015 19:46

Jagger Jersey Tattoo You

nope. I am bad at this. Okay I'm posting the link. sorry.

Date: March 8, 2015 19:57

Actually it did fit me then and now. I'm 5'9" and about 115 pounds but I never wore it. My long blonde hair would cover the "JAGGER" unfortunately. Mick's very slim. But it was too special to wear.

I just kept it in a special place and when my dad fell ill, I took it out to remind me of how talented he was - not that I didn't know already. It just became more real I guess.

Thanks for all the kind words.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: March 8, 2015 19:59

Provenance is a funny thing. It can be a lot of individual things or a combination of things, sort of like a "circumstantial prosecution case" in a court of law. I think you already have a solid provenance for the shirt. It starts with connecting your father's work done to the address of a certain house owned by Mick Jagger at the correct time in history. This may include invoices, work orders, receipts and contracts to build this part of the case. then comes the photographic evidence of Mick wearing that shirt or a shirt just like it on stage as well as the photo your father took of Mick outside the jobsite as well as a photo of the actual shirt in question and any other related photos. Then you have your own story of the whole incident which you could attest to in a court of law which you could type up. All of that, in my opinion gives you a very strong provenance for the shirt. The only question remains is if the shirt was actually worn by Mick on stage or simply a duplicate he had in stock.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: March 8, 2015 20:01

I am sure he wore the Eagles one in San Diego

Posted by: KennedyLetsWork ()
Date: March 8, 2015 20:17

Cool pics! Never knew he wore the Bears jersey. I was at the first Chicago show (Nov 23) and he wore the Eagles jersey.

So far, I have seen pics of the following jerseys on the 81 tour:
Eagles
Bears
Redskins
Oilers
A's
Cowboys

I seem to recall a photo of him in a Lions jersey, or at least someone talked about it.

What other jerseys have you seen on that tour?

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 8, 2015 20:35

Beautiful story, Silverbee - and Plink, how fantastic that you have exactly the photos needed!

Weren't the Chicago shows on that tour actually in Rockford?

And Rockman honey, is that that Last Tour book?
Some great shots in there, but historical accuracy was not their thing :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-08 22:51 by with sssoul.

Posted by: KennedyLetsWork ()
Date: March 8, 2015 20:45

The Chicago shows were certainly NOT in Rockford.

The Rockford stop was a last minute addition very early in the tour, separate from the Chicago shows in late Novemeber. They later came back through and played the Rosemont Horizon for 3 nights - those were the "Chicago" shows.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-08 21:00 by KennedyLetsWork.

Date: March 8, 2015 22:02

Silverbee
Jagger Jersey Tattoo You

nope. I am bad at this. Okay I'm posting the link. sorry.

apology accepted:

All you need to do is copy the IMG link for each photo, instead of the url. The fact that I can do it from your link should give you inspiration!

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1940
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home