Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
RIP Albert Maysles
Posted by: Jimmy C ()
Date: March 6, 2015 19:57

Re: RIP Albert Maysles
Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 6, 2015 21:13

Love and light to him

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: March 6, 2015 21:34

that is so sad . such a nice man when we spoke to him at the beacon for the stones in 2006 . rest in peace !!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: March 6, 2015 21:44

Here's a little from Rolling Stone mag (online):

[www.rollingstone.com]

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 6, 2015 21:47

In more recent years, he could be heard on The Moth Radio Hour where people tell true stories in front of a live audience. Maysles received an award (The Moth Award) for a story told and recorded on June 7, 2010 titled My Father's Cornet (in which he also mentions the Stones and his work on Gimme Shelter).

Listen at: [themoth.org]

Albert Maysles in 2013 at the annual Moth Ball celebration receiving The Moth Award honoring the work of the raconteur.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: March 6, 2015 22:00

RIP Filmmaker

[filmmakermagazine.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-09 18:20 by runaway.

Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: March 6, 2015 22:38

RIP Albert.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: March 6, 2015 22:51

RIP................. nice story from him on the Moth Radio Hour thanks Stoneage

Posted by: bmuseed ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:02

My calendar alert to call Albert popped up as I got word that he had left us.

Albert was one of the sweetest guys I ever met. I am forever linked to him through Gimme Shelter. If there is a heaven, David and Albert Maysles will be doing the documentary.

Whenever I spoke with him he had an amazing drive and energy for whatever his latest project was and he had plenty.

RIP Albert and David Maysles

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:05

Lengthy obit in the NY Times. "Grey Gardens" sounds wild, I had no idea it was turned into an HBO film. Anyone seen it?

[www.nytimes.com]

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:32

RIP, Albert. My only wish now is that they can separate out the concert footage from Gimme Shelter and we can get complete performances from the tour, instead of excerpts. I think Altamont has been allowed to over shadow a fantastic tour, and the first live example of the post-Brian Stones.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:33

Gimme Shelter - 1970

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:34

Everybody's got to go...
Thank you mister Albert.

Posted by: shawnriffhard1 ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:42

GGardens is a documentary the brothers made about two of Jackie O's cousins. Then JLange and DBarrymore made a movie on HBO that shows the brothers coming to film them. well worth a look (both of them). I had the privilege of seeing an appearance he did on a Saturday and Sunday last year at a theater in LA where he showed a bunch of shorts on one day, then the next it was all Beatles 64, first trip into US. They got the call two hours before touchdown at JFK, "Do you want to film these guys, the Beatles" they hung with them from NYC to DC to Miami.

[www.thebeatles.com]

He did a meet and greet afterwards, but only talked to three or four people, then his handlers whisked him away. I shook his hand, but I wanted to ask about the Shidoobee gathering where he showed unseen MSG 69 film, but didn't get the chance.
[shidoobeewithstonesdoug.yuku.com]

[www.nytimes.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-07 01:48 by shawnriffhard1.

Posted by: custom55 ()
Date: March 7, 2015 01:46

I attended Albert's Gimme Shelter 'conference' back in 2010 (?) in Harlem on Dec 30th.. We sat on the floor and Albert showed us 'never before seen' clips of Gimme Shelter.

RIP Albert

Date: March 7, 2015 01:50

Hey Custom, Can you tell us about the footage you saw?

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: March 7, 2015 02:22

I knew Albert along time ago and then met up with him when they were doing the "
Criterion DVD release of G.S. he was a very sweet man. I helped working on it and I had some live Stones footage they didn't have from MSG shows and the Altamont concert that I thought they might want to add to the release, he liked it but I was to late in having it added to the DVD. But was told if they ever do something else they would like to use some of it.

I knew brother David back in the late 70's and he asked me to help track down a "special" version of Gimme Shelter that they made that was stolen, it had back stage footage and concert footage not used in the released filmed. The film ran a little over an hour. The extra footage was not the footage that was used in the DVD special release. This was a private personal film they made and was not planned for release.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: March 7, 2015 02:25

latebloomer
Lengthy obit in the NY Times. "Grey Gardens" sounds wild, I had no idea it was turned into an HBO film. Anyone seen it?

[www.nytimes.com]

absorbing & fascinating. See it.

Date: March 7, 2015 03:37

VideoJames
I knew brother David back in the late 70's and he asked me to help track down a "special" version of Gimme Shelter that they made that was stolen, it had back stage footage and concert footage not used in the released filmed. The film ran a little over an hour. The extra footage was not the footage that was used in the DVD special release. This was a private personal film they made and was not planned for release.
James, is this the Shidoobee footage?

Posted by: VideoJames ()
Date: March 7, 2015 04:12

shawnriffhard1
VideoJames
James, is this the Shidoobee footage?

I do not know, as did not attend the special dinner/showing Albert set up for fans, so unless you we hear from someone that attended the dinner and they can tell what was shown, I would not know. One of the things in the Maysles private G.S. movie they made, was back and forth shots of Keith rolling a joint while the Stones were performing Midnight Rambler.

Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: March 7, 2015 06:59

Just watched all of Gimme Shelter after reading the link in the NY Times. I kept saying, "Oh, I'll just cut to the songs," but the thing is just gripping. What a document. Imagine doing a free concert today without police, security, anything. So naive and convinced that a love-in could work.

Was there no security at Woodstock either?

T@3

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 7, 2015 10:03

RIP Albert Maysles. Cineme verite pioneer.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: March 7, 2015 11:02

I still remember going to see Gimme Shelter for the first time in 1972 when I was 14.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: March 7, 2015 13:37

Very brief excerpt --*rough* edit-- of a 4.5 hour conversation at the Maysles Institute in Harlem with Albert Maysles before our interview for my radio documentary, "The Night Before Altamont."

I was buzzing around the studio, just plugged in the mic--nervous to be setting up in front of such a master---checking levels. He was eating candy, so you'll hear some smacking. Al led off asking about my ethnicity, and segued into a number of anecdotes about childhood, Salesman, Gimme Shelter...and how all of it weaves together.

I will miss him very much. So thankful to have known him the little I did, to have interviewed him, am sad we'll not be able to collaborate on my upcoming film, Altamont 360°, which Al was extremely supportive of.

LINK to excerpt of Al Maysles & my conversation (5 minutes -- very rough edit)

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-07 22:35 by swiss.

Posted by: IrisC ()
Date: March 7, 2015 16:50

I was actually interviewed by him at the Beacon Theatre during the Shine a Light filming. I didn't make the cut however. Very nice man. RIP Albert!

Posted by: timmyj3 ()
Date: March 7, 2015 17:03

Like teaathree I was going to watch a bit of Gimme Shelter. Watched the entire movie and was spellbound as the other 50 times I have watched. You cant look away once it starts. I have the criterion dvd and thx sound systems and the walls shook.

The ending with Micks face as he walked out of the studio as Gimme Shelter starts to paly is sheer film brilliance.

Thank you Charlotte, Albert, and David.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: March 7, 2015 18:32

Silver Dagger
RIP Albert Maysles. Cineme verite pioneer.

Snuff movie pionner? smoking smiley
I mean GS was a film about a man getting killed onscreen...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-03-07 20:32 by dcba.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: March 7, 2015 18:56

So what do we know about other live footage that didn't make the Gimme Shelter movie? What songs are there? Video James?

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: March 7, 2015 21:51

RIP Albert and thank you for the brilliant "Gimme Shelter" movie

I have to admit I am obsessed with anything to do with the 1969 US tour which is my favorite by the Stones by far. I was too young to attend any of the shows back then but have been collecting audio/ video and everything written about it I can find.

If you search the internet you find interesting articles which tease us with evidence that the Maysles brothers may have filmed more then just MSG and Altamont. In this excellent article about the making of the "Gimme Shelter" movie Albert is quoted as saying the brothers also followed the Stones to the Boston and Miami shows. No mention if they actually did any filming but since they did go to Muscle Shoals and film it makes me wonder if there is any video of the Baltimore, Boston and Miami shows?

Charlotte Zwerin is also quoted as saying Maysles sent her a complete uncut film of the Altamont concert but I can understand why this most likely will never see the light of day.

[www.salon.com]

Hopefully some day we will get the MSG footage put together to give us a complete concert. Maybe in a box set with all three concerts complete on CD?

I never thought I would ever see two of my holy grails, Allman Bros and Humble Pie at the Fillmore, released complete so it does not hurt to dream. smiling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 7, 2015 23:58

oldschool
RIP Albert and thank you for the brilliant "Gimme Shelter" movie

I never thought I would ever see two of my holy grails, Allman Bros and Humble Pie at the Fillmore, released complete so it does not hurt to dream. smiling smiley

Where did you see The Allman Brothers at the Fillmore? I've seen bits and pieces on shitty boots, but there's never been a commercial release in the States that I know of.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1559
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home