Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8
OT: The Grateful Dead Re-Unite
Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: January 16, 2015 18:32

Oh god....awful news, now I will never hear the end of this from my dead-head friends.

Re: OT: The Grateful Dead Re-Unite
Posted by: mccparty ()
Date: January 16, 2015 21:10

Three shows, this July....in Chicago. Why Chicago????

[blog.sfgate.com]

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 16, 2015 21:31

mccparty

[blog.sfgate.com]

Per Trixie Garcia:

"It’s so significant that they’re doing this show in Chicago — a central location for all Deadheads to come gather.”

Probably where the promoter offered the most money too.

For me there is no Grateful Dead without Jerry, this is more like a convention of Deadheads. Although Phil Lesh has done some interesting projects, Bob Weir has done nothing of interest (to me) in the years since Jerry passed.

peace

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: January 16, 2015 21:36

There must be a Jerry lookalike somewhere on the PLANET to make this work confused smiley
It would be the same as a Re-Unite of the Stones without Mick

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 16, 2015 21:48

Please say it isn't so! Oh the humanity....eye popping smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 16, 2015 22:48

NICOS
There must be a Jerry lookalike somewhere on the PLANET to make this work confused smiley

Any bearded unwashed toothless bum from the street will do. grinning smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: January 16, 2015 22:50

Note: I haven't read the article as I'm really not that interested. Although I guess I'm happy for their fans, the only thought that comes to my mind is "Why"? In my mind, No Jerry=No Dead. Glad I saw them while he was still alive. No interest at all now.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: January 16, 2015 22:53

BluzDude
Oh god....awful news, now I will never hear the end of this from my dead-head friends.

The US economy is bubbly so I bet they got some irresistible money offered to reunite. If these gigs go OK expect more.

What will be interesting is how many original members show up and how side men are used to make them sound decent. You cannot charge big money these days and sound like crap.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 16, 2015 23:03

triceratops
BluzDude

The US economy is bubbly so I bet they got some irresistible money offered to reunite. If these gigs go OK expect more.

What will be interesting is how many original members show up and how side men are used to make them sound decent. You cannot charge big money these days and sound like crap.

Weir and Lesh specifically state this will be the last time. I'm sure all the surviving members will be playing except possibly Donna G. Bruce Hornsby is about the only sideman I think will help the music. He is amazing.

peace

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: January 16, 2015 23:08

How pathetic! Jerry was the Grateful Dead. The concerts were as good as Jerry played/felt. And, I saw them over 150 times (going to college near San Francisco from 1977 to 1981 really helped). Some of the Jerry Garcia Band shows were better than most of the Grateful Dead shows.

I have no problem with the rest of the band playing shows- but don't call it The Grateful Dead. It is just like The Stones without Mick Jagger. Sad!

Posted by: alhavu1 ()
Date: January 16, 2015 23:11

One of worst bands ever.

Two guys at a Dead concert. Their drugs wear off. One says to the other, "This music sucks"

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 16, 2015 23:25

I emailed my dad about this. Gigantic Deadhead. Owns all the Dicks Picks and all that shit. He loves these guys.

His response was: "Why? It ain't the same without Jerry." And he also really likes Phish. I guess this sums up at least a faction of the Deadhead community.

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: January 16, 2015 23:38

NICOS
It would be the same as a Re-Unite of the Stones without Mick

They could have used the guy from Further and Dark Star Orchestra instead of Trey and they would have had a soundalike in place. It is uncanny how well he plays and sings like Jerry.

That said, Jerry was the Dead. The other band members are decidedly uninteresting.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-16 23:39 by JimmyTheSaint.

Posted by: jjo ()
Date: January 16, 2015 23:38

alhavu1
One of worst bands ever.

Two guys at a Dead concert. Their drugs wear off. One says to the other, "This music sucks"
.. Jeez never heard that one before. Who would sell out quicker at MSG Stones or Dead Done Deal!

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 16, 2015 23:55

jjo
alhavu1
One of worst bands ever.

.. Jeez never heard that one before. Who would sell out quicker at MSG Stones or Dead Done Deal!

Is this a three band question?

Posted by: dmay ()
Date: January 17, 2015 00:20

Hmmm...Jerry must've been resurrected from the Dead or he'll be a hologram on the stage. Wouldn't surprise me if 80 year old Elvis showed up as a special guest. I have friends who are still Deadheads to whom I will pass along this news.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: January 17, 2015 00:43

Im not into Grateful dead I need help. Where do i start?. What is their best Albums/songs?

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: January 17, 2015 00:51

DoctorFreddie
Im not into Grateful dead I need help. Where do i start?. What is their best Albums/songs?
Their studio albums are actually very good. I'm not a big Dead fan, but their studio albums where they reel in the jams are actually filled with very good songs.

American Beauty is considered their best, but personally I think Workingmans Dead is their best album. Another controversial decision, but I think From The Mars Hotel is an underrated classic. Their debut album is also pretty good. Skulls And Roses is also a very good live album and probably the best and easiest release to dig into their live stuff.

So my suggestion would be try American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. If those albums do anything for you, try a third studio album (my suggestions would be either From The Mars Hotel or their first record) or try their live album and see what you think.

Posted by: DoctorFreddie ()
Date: January 17, 2015 00:57

RollingFreak
DoctorFreddie
Their studio albums are actually very good. I'm not a big Dead fan, but their studio albums where they reel in the jams are actually filled with very good songs.

American Beauty is considered their best, but personally I think Workingmans Dead is their best album. Another controversial decision, but I think From The Mars Hotel is an underrated classic. Their debut album is also pretty good. Skulls And Roses is also a very good live album and probably the best and easiest release to dig into their live stuff.

So my suggestion would be try American Beauty and Workingman's Dead. If those albums do anything for you, try a third studio album (my suggestions would be either From The Mars Hotel or their first record) or try their live album and see what you think.

Thank yousmiling smiley

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 17, 2015 01:04

Naturalust
mccparty

[blog.sfgate.com]

Per Trixie Garcia:

"It’s so significant that they’re doing this show in Chicago — a central location for all Deadheads to come gather.”

Probably where the promoter offered the most money too.

For me there is no Grateful Dead without Jerry, this is more like a convention of Deadheads. Although Phil Lesh has done some interesting projects, Bob Weir has done nothing of interest (to me) in the years since Jerry passed.

peace

Not Alpine Valley??? They always set up camp there years past.

Many negative comments here about this band and maybe they aren't everyone's cup of psychedelic tea but they have produced some very good music over the years and have a fan base that maybe surpasses that of the Rolling Stones. Yes not the same band without Jerry Garcia but I can see them turning these shows into a fine tribute to him with many many guest artists tipping their hat to a band that started 50 years ago.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 17, 2015 01:39

Thar's gold in them thar hills!

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-17 01:42 by tatters.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 17, 2015 02:42

triceratops
BluzDude

Really? The Stones do it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: January 17, 2015 02:46

Just the thought of 3 freakin' days in that cavernous football stadium with thousands upon thousands of those phony freaks doing the white man falling down dance. I just got an LSD shiver.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 17, 2015 02:49

24FPS
triceratops
BluzDude

Really? The Stones do it.

c'mon...you don't mean that.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: January 17, 2015 03:27

I dig the Dead. Saw them many times. This isn't the Dead. Without Jerry there can be no last show. And to be honest I saw Weir a few years ago with The Black Crowes and he was terrible. He could barely sing and play guitar. Time to hang it up Bobby.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: January 17, 2015 10:50

DoctorFreddie

Please! Go listen to some nice Stones! We care about your ears. Note to Deadheads: kidding! I don't care for them at all & would not cross the street to see this but I have friends who are into it. Whatever floats your boat. Peace.smileys with beer

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 17, 2015 12:56

Why shouldn't they reunite? They've got four surviving original members, which is more than any other well-known sixties group that I can think of.

In other news, a South Carolina woman has filed a missing persons report on her son, who has not been seen since he left home to follow the Grateful Dead in 1995. He would be 38 by now. Maybe he'll turn up at the reunion shows and be reunited with his family.

[www.thesmokinggun.com]

Date: January 17, 2015 15:49

I've seen the Grateful Dead 67 times. That's more times than I've seen the Stones (but to be fair I've never seen the Stones on multiple nights at the same venue plus GD tickets were a heck of a lot cheaper). Since Jerry died I've seen a couple of early Furthur fests, one Phil Lesh solo show and some kind of "The Other Ones" reunion at Alpine valley in 2002 . I'm done with it. I have absolutely no interest in seeing fake Jerry play with the remaining members of the GD. If other people want to go see them that's great. I think I would feel the same way if Keith, Mick or Charlie passed away and the remaining members continued to tour as the Rolling Stones (which I don't think will ever happen).

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-18 02:26 by its good to be anywhere.

Posted by: chrism13 ()
Date: January 17, 2015 17:07

$90+ for the cheap seats seems pricey for a stadium gig. But I enjoy the Deads music. I would like to see the members of the two bands collaborate more. I know Mick Taylor jammed w/ the Dead @ MSG years ago. Both bands have a love of Dylan, Country & Blues music. I prefer MT & RW slide to Weir's but he is a great singer songwriter/performer. Tell me they all couldn't jam on Minglewood! The Dead & JGB have done a bunch of Stones songs over the years. I can understand some of the complaints about the Dead's music in terms of noodeling, but they a ton of really good songs both original & cover.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: January 17, 2015 17:16

stonehearted

Why shouldn't they reunite? They've got four surviving original members, which is more than any other well-known sixties group that I can think of.

Agreed. If I was any sort of Grateful Dead fan I'm sure I'd be very excited about this.

Goto Page: 12345678Next
Current Page: 1 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1884
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home