Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Bukowski reviewing a 1975 Stones concert...
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: January 11, 2015 15:24

[www.prod.facebook.com]

The poor sod must have been in an altered state of mind (as usual). >grinning smiley<

Re: Bukowski reviewing a 1975 Stones concert...
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: January 11, 2015 16:26

Well. THAT was a trip for a Sunday morning...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 11, 2015 16:32

Great review....made you feel exactly like it was like being there yourself...completely wasted!

Date: January 11, 2015 20:10

Lovely smiling smiley

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: January 11, 2015 20:23

Thanks for posting. Great fun and possibly as high as a kite)-D

Date: January 11, 2015 20:36

I love the fact that he reviews the show as if it was a slient movie : no mention of music at all but Buk describes in detail what he sees onstage.

Damn he was an old pig but he could write!

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: January 11, 2015 21:47

Thanks for this great and funny review from Bukowskismiling smiley

cheers

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: January 11, 2015 23:33

BUKOWSKI smileys with beer
Thank You.
Great books written...
Check it out Stones-believers!
thumbs up

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: January 11, 2015 23:44

This guy has some of the best quotes ever written. Here's a link to some of 'em:

[geniusquotes.org]

peace

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: January 12, 2015 04:52

Good read. I think the best line is "When 27 nations would soon know how to use the hydrogen bomb it hardly made sense to preserve your health. "

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: January 12, 2015 05:18

Keeping in mind that he was already in his fifties when he attended the concert, it's quite open minded of him, since rock music was not his first choice for listening pleasure, and it probably kept the review on more of an objective level than a more contemporary reviewer might have given.

I'll bet Bukowski could have drunk even Keith under the table.

For anyone interested in what a Bukowski "concert" was like, this one is from 1980, and turned out to be his last ever reading.

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: January 12, 2015 06:07

Fascinating insight into Jagger:

"I sat down next to row N and watched the Mick work. I sensed a gentility and grace and desperateness in him, and still some of the power: I shall lead you children the shit out of here."

I always thought that the 75 tour was when The Stones "descended" for good into the realm of good-time party entertainers. But Bukowski could see through the clown pajamas and catch a glimpse of what The Stones once were--raw, visceral, and important, generationally-speaking.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 12, 2015 14:21

Awesome poet !!!!!!!

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: January 12, 2015 16:14

this review tells a lot about Bukowski's interests, which don't really include rock music.

his posthumous success as a character, poet, and short story author is inspiring to me. Many years ago I read all his work I could find, it was appealing in its underground authority.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: January 12, 2015 16:59

Sounds like he was paying attention to the music too : "Ron Wood was the rhythm guitarist replacing Mick Taylor; Billy Preston was really shooting-off at the keyboard; Keith Richards was on lead guitar and he and Ron were doing some sub-glancing lilting highs against each other's edges but Keith held a firmer more natural ground, albeit an easy one which allowed Ron to come in and play back against shots and lobs at his will. Charlie Watts on tempo seemed to have joy but his center was off to the left and falling down. Bill Wyman on bass was the total professional holding it all together over the bloody Thames-Forum."

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: January 12, 2015 17:26

It doesn't seem he liked the concert very much, does it?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: January 13, 2015 05:54

Awesome stuff. One of the best Stones concert reviews I ever have seen.smileys with beer

- Doxa

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 13, 2015 09:32

This reminds me that I need to find Bukowskys books in English (I have all the translated)

Fantastic as usual when it is written by this connoisseur of human foibles

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: January 13, 2015 09:57

I must admit I haven't read anything from Bukowski. Probably because those who recommended Bukowski to me weren't the ones I would normally take advice from...

Date: January 13, 2015 11:02

The review reminds me of Hunter S. Thompson's "reports" from the bar/race track in Fear And Loathing In Las Vegas.

Gonzos at work - brilliant thumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: January 13, 2015 11:27

Stoneage
I must admit I haven't read anything from Bukowski. Probably because those who recommended Bukowski to me weren't the ones I would normally take advice from...

Well as you can see Buke is highly recommended here...

2 1 2 0

Date: January 13, 2015 14:55

Stoneage
those who recommended Bukowski to me weren't the ones I would normally take advice from...

Time to make new friends! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: stoneslib ()
Date: January 13, 2015 18:29

He also did a review during the 1972 tour:

Charles Bukowski, LA Free Press: “Here he was, Mick Jagger. A little blue star pasted near each eye. An outfit on like your hip spade dude would be wearing tomorrow morning. His joint was showing through his tight hot jism pants, and he was dressed to @#$%& the world, but basically he had style, the style that comes with champions. I liked him right off and at the same time I thought, why does he have to @#$%& himself up like that?”

Date: January 13, 2015 19:39

thumbs up

Posted by: LongBeachArena72 ()
Date: January 13, 2015 20:24

Fantastic find, Stoneslib! I was at the same Long Beach Arena show Bukowski describes ... so his words have special meaning for me.

"Mick tried. He tried very well. He did better than anybody watching him could. He was too much money in. He was too famous. He sucked at the crowd. He tried to remember how it was when he first worked it. How it was when he was really and purely real. It's difficult, too, it's so difficult, it comes to us and it leaves us. Imagine being the Pied Piper and losing your flute. Yet it happens to all and every. The remainder of us do the best we can. Mick was doing the best he could, which was very good but none of what any of us expected which was more MIRACLE MIRACLE MIRACLE."

69 was the final tour where Mick and The Stones REALLY HAD SOMETHING, where on any given night at least the illusion of danger and spontaneity and MEANING still prevailed. 72 was even better, musically, but you could see the cracks showing. By 75, the soul music had become a pajama'ed carnivale.

Incredible that they've maintained a 50+ year career after having peaked 7 years in. The Stones, not unlike Dylan, were scarred by the maw of publicity, of satanism, of being evil spokesdudes for a generation, and pulled back from the precipice by retreating to what they always wanted to be: a rock and roll band. Some of us wanted more from them ... but it was too much to ask of them, maybe too much to ask of anyone.

I do wish they had reconnected in later life with their original artistry like Dylan has done over the past 18 years, but, hey, they are what they are, and still produce an incredible, ageless, museum-like replica of the rock and roll experience.

Posted by: Rank Stranger ()
Date: January 13, 2015 21:42

We need to know, what show is he reviewing!!

July 11th or 12th??

That's currently the most important question on this forum!smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-13 21:43 by Rank Stranger.

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: January 13, 2015 21:57

ryanpow
Sounds like he was paying attention to the music too : "Ron Wood was the rhythm guitarist replacing Mick Taylor; Billy Preston was really shooting-off at the keyboard; Keith Richards was on lead guitar and he and Ron were doing some sub-glancing lilting highs against each other's edges but Keith held a firmer more natural ground, albeit an easy one which allowed Ron to come in and play back against shots and lobs at his will. Charlie Watts on tempo seemed to have joy but his center was off to the left and falling down. Bill Wyman on bass was the total professional holding it all together over the bloody Thames-Forum."

I had not idea Buck (aka Henry Chanaski) was capable of so much insight into the Rolling Stones. Makes me appreciate Bill Wyman more, hearing Bukowski's descriptionof him.

I am a native of Los Angeles. I appreciate Bukowski's underbelly take on the glitzy metropolis. It's a welcome antedote to the usual Hollywood glamour puss nonsense. And nobody described drinking bouts better than Charles Bukowski.

Date: January 13, 2015 22:53

Pietro
nobody described drinking bouts better than Charles Bukowski.

Try Jospeh Roth's "The Legend of the Holy Drinker" thumbs up

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: January 14, 2015 04:12

It's interesting to read the review by bystanders which are sometimes irrelevant and sometimes objective.
Anyway, it was fun to read.thumbs up

By the way,
was he mentioning Ronnie as a fiddler?smiling smiley

Posted by: peoplewitheyes ()
Date: January 14, 2015 05:01

i read a bunch of his books in my 20s. 'Post Office', 'Factotum', great stuff. Especially for angsty single men.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1980
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home