Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What CD is the Duke´s A-Train version of the 81/82 tour intro on?
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: January 2, 2015 01:25

I mean THE version of THE intro of THE tour.

Any info is appreciated.

Re: What CD is the Duke´s A-Train version of the 81/82 tour intro on?
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 2, 2015 02:19

I'm not sure, but I'm almost certain that the Duke's version comes from his Ellington Uptown LP. Take a listen from 1:20 onwards:

EDIT: That's THE version. I compared this one with the Still Life intro and they're the same. cool smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-01-02 02:34 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: January 2, 2015 04:55

Yup sounds like it to me too. I didn't even know there were lyrics to this song as many of his performances were instrumentals with his band like this one:

I'm guessing Charlie had something to do with them using it for their intro.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: January 2, 2015 05:06

I wonder if "Ellington Uptown" is the record he mentions on this interview:

"Was part of the Stones' success down to the fact that each of you had really done your homework?

I sort of agree with that. Everything's easier and quicker now. I wanted to be Max Roach or Kenny Clarke playing in New York with Charlie Parker in the front line. Not a bad aspiration. It actually meant a lot of bloody playing, a lot of work. I don't think kids are interested in that. But that may be true of every generation, I don't know. When I was what you'd call a young musician, jazz was very fashionable. It was very hip to know there was a new Miles Davis album out. Now no one knows what records come out. Especially me! Because of this thing [gestures at my iPhone recording the interview, with the inference that it is somehow the devil's work] … But in those days … an album: you kept it, you treasured it.

You must have really studied the records you had.

Oh, we did. I remember a Duke Ellington album that we played for ever".

[www.theguardian.com]

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: January 2, 2015 13:44

this brings back such good memories of the 81 tour . the excitiment and anticipation of duke'e A-Train followed by Bill Graham's intro of the Stones .

Date: January 2, 2015 15:31

Cristiano Radtke
I'm not sure, but I'm almost certain that the Duke's version comes from his Ellington Uptown LP. Take a listen from 1:20 onwards:

EDIT: That's THE version. I compared this one with the Still Life intro and they're the same. cool smiley

Thanks, THAT´s it!

Date: January 4, 2015 17:18

Just found this great poster on ebay...

400 €...eye popping smiley

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: January 4, 2015 18:08

Cristiano Radtke
I wonder if "Ellington Uptown" is the record he mentions on this interview:

"Was part of the Stones' success down to the fact that each of you had really done your homework?

I sort of agree with that. Everything's easier and quicker now. I wanted to be Max Roach or Kenny Clarke playing in New York with Charlie Parker in the front line. Not a bad aspiration. It actually meant a lot of bloody playing, a lot of work. I don't think kids are interested in that. But that may be true of every generation, I don't know. When I was what you'd call a young musician, jazz was very fashionable. It was very hip to know there was a new Miles Davis album out. Now no one knows what records come out. Especially me! Because of this thing [gestures at my iPhone recording the interview, with the inference that it is somehow the devil's work] … But in those days … an album: you kept it, you treasured it.

You must have really studied the records you had.

Oh, we did. I remember a Duke Ellington album that we played for ever".

[www.theguardian.com]

Great interview, thanks for posting that Cristiano.

I find it impossible to not like Charlie...just so down to earth.

Also, very good about giving Mick his credit and while acknowledging the issue with Keith's book, not wallowing in it.

A good read.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2442
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home