Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

"At the Max" Revisited
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 27, 2014 15:08

[www.youtube.com]

Hadn't seen this in years; absolutely wonderfully filmed, but the sound - were the guitars mixed so low on the original release?

On some tracks, during verses, guitars hardly audible until maybe it zooms in when Keith doing a fill or solo and then it's very audible. On Rock and a Hard Place I think it is, guitars of Mick and Ronnie hardly even audible, main guitar heard Keith's odd rhythm.

Keith'solos - jesus^ What the hell, his end solo on Honky Tonk, first solo on Sympathy - sweet jesus, tuneless, bendy-string mess. His 'guitar hero' period?

IF the sound was better, this would be amazing, and it's beautifully filmed.

Re: "At the Max" Revisited
Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: December 27, 2014 15:21

I find it hard to watch because it seems like it was filmed on a movie set. Everything looks staged. I wish there was another official representation of the Steel Wheels tour. But you are right, it is beautifully filmed. Just doesn't have that "live" feel.

Posted by: CousinC ()
Date: December 27, 2014 15:45

I saw it in an Imax cinema and that really was a great experience.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: December 27, 2014 15:55

I remember being absolutely blown away the first time I saw this on the IMAX screen when it came out (and the several times I saw it after that). The experience was unlike anything I had experienced before. I have the DVD but its just not the same and not the way this particular film was meant to be seen.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: December 27, 2014 17:13

This film was amazing at the IMAX theater. If you haven't had the chance and it comes around I highly recommend it. To be honest after experiencing that I can't watch it on DVD anymore. Surely it was made based on the larger than life experience.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 27, 2014 17:30

Unfortunately they did too many film "retakes" (film overdubbing, I guess, since the music was there, the moving picture parts got screwed up) due to film running out and whatever other issues. Most of Ruby Tuesday was filmed in an empty stadium. One way to tell what's not live is how far Mick is standing away from the mic, how Keith and Ronnie act up their closeness and movements, and of course, for a great example with the intro of Honky Tonk Women, how Keith can't fake his own playing worth a damn.

That aside, in an Imax theatre it is excellent. The experience works. The music sounded great. They left the screw up in IORR. It does feel like you're at the show.

On video though it's a bit... it doesn't work. Actual live videos, like VOODOO and BRIDGES and the various LICKS and on and on work great on a TV.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: December 27, 2014 20:57

The film was amazing for the time of over 20 years ago. It hasn't aged that great, but for the time I think it was a cool unique thing. You can already see Jagger talking to his reps going "they're goin to love this! We gotta do the IMAX thing!" And kudos to him. All that really matters is that it worked then.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 27, 2014 21:28

spsimmons
I find it hard to watch because it seems like it was filmed on a movie set. Everything looks staged. I wish there was another official representation of the Steel Wheels tour. But you are right, it is beautifully filmed. Just doesn't have that "live" feel.

The Stones did a Steel Wheels pay-per-view from an indoor arena in NJ that may have the 'live' feel you're looking for. It featured the same massive stage design they used in the outdoor shows, but it was scaled down a bit. Still looked really cool on TV.

It was a follow-up to the 1981 Hampton Roads pay-per-view, and I wouldn't be surprised it becomes available on DVD about this same time next year.

Stones at the Max was shot at multiple venues during the Urban Jungle European Tour. I think they used almost all of the IMAX cameras that were available. At the time it was the longest IMAX film ever made. I respect your comment about it looking staged, but on the other hand, seeing it on an IMAX screen makes you feel like you're on stage with them. I thought it was very well done.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: December 27, 2014 21:55

1969Fan
spsimmons

The Stones did a Steel Wheels pay-per-view from an indoor arena in NJ that may have the 'live' feel you're looking for. It featured the same massive stage design they used in the outdoor shows, but it was scaled down a bit. Still looked really cool on TV.

It was a follow-up to the 1981 Hampton Roads pay-per-view, and I wouldn't be surprised it becomes available on DVD about this same time next year.

Stones at the Max was shot at multiple venues during the Urban Jungle European Tour. I think they used almost all of the IMAX cameras that were available. At the time it was the longest IMAX film ever made. I respect your comment about it looking staged, but on the other hand, seeing it on an IMAX screen makes you feel like you're on stage with them. I thought it was very well done.

I remember that show...it was the one you could go to 7/11 for to get 3D glasses for Paint it Black and 2000 LYFH I think.

Good show.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: December 27, 2014 22:07

I saw it in IMAX when it came out and loved it. Have the DVD a but my machine is broken so haven't watched it in a while. Loved it at the time, would like to revisit it.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: December 27, 2014 22:19

I saw it in NYC on the IMAX screen. I thought it was the greatest film experience I ever had!!! So big and loud, it was like I was on the stage with them. Amazing. The video/DVD does not do it justice.

Months later the TV special "Making of At The MAx came out. Very intersting showing how they later overdubbed and refilmed a lot of it in a studio, mainly because in those days, the IMAX film cannister could not hold more than 10 minutes of film at a time, so they had to re do it in the studio. Very funny how they had to wet Keith' shirt to simulate his sweat. I thought they did a very good job on those edits.

Still a great souvineer of the Urban Jungle Tour.

Posted by: 1969Fan ()
Date: December 27, 2014 22:30

treaclefingers
1969Fan
spsimmons

I remember that show...it was the one you could go to 7/11 for to get 3D glasses for Paint it Black and 2000 LYFH I think.

Good show.

The TV show with the 3D segments was a different broadcast. It was highly edited and was syndicated on local stations, not network or pay-per-view. The Steel Wheels pay-per-view was broadcast non stop, no breaks or commercials, from the Jane Byrne arena in NJ. Good show. In LA, and I suspect other major markets, a local FM rock station carried the audio portion of the broadcast. It was way better than the compressed mono TV audio. I recorded the pic from the pay-per-view and the sound from the radio, and edited it into a 1 hour 59 min non-stop S-VHS.

Again, I suspect we may see it as a 'From the Vault' one of these days. But until then, my S-VHS boot will have to do.

Posted by: beachbreak ()
Date: December 27, 2014 23:02

Mick's hair ruins it for me. smiling smiley

Posted by: hockenheim95 ()
Date: December 28, 2014 00:05

deardoctortake1
I saw it in NYC on the IMAX screen. I thought it was the greatest film experience I ever had!!! So big and loud, it was like I was on the stage with them. Amazing. The video/DVD does not do it justice.

Months later the TV special "Making of At The MAx came out. Very intersting showing how they later overdubbed and refilmed a lot of it in a studio, mainly because in those days, the IMAX film cannister could not hold more than 10 minutes of film at a time, so they had to re do it in the studio. Very funny how they had to wet Keith' shirt to simulate his sweat. I thought they did a very good job on those edits.

Do you have the old DVD version or the remastered? The remastered one is much better than the first one.

I have the Blu Ray version which is the best live concert I have picturewise. The picture is really sharp, bright colours and crystal clear sound. I was blown away how this film I only knew from the old DVD and VHS could look so great.

Posted by: HenrikBB ()
Date: December 28, 2014 01:20

Might have mentioned this release in another thread, -
but here it is really relevant ! -

The "Live at the max" was released as VideoCD in 1995.
The VideoCD was a shortlifed medium, - which for obvious reasons
lost the battle to the DVD-medium.

The interesting aspect of this release is, that is has an absolutely different
sound than the DVD !
It really sounds like "A Genuine Live-album" - and very very good, - if
you just hear the soundtrack !

I´ve got the remastered DVD, - and have lost my VHS years ago, -
but this VideoCD is really kick´in !

Factbox: A VideoCD has to be played on a multiplayer, - or PC (reading DVDs etc) -
a normal CD-player will read (and apparently play) it, - but no sound comming out, -
the audiolayer is stored differently.
It has no bootmenu, - but acts just like a CD, - just showing the number
of tracks.

Two Stones-releases exists, - the "Gimme Shelter"-movie, -
and the "Live at the Max"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-28 01:26 by HenrikBB.

Date: December 28, 2014 01:25

Great on iMax, lame on DVD...

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: December 28, 2014 01:31

I was also blown away by the IMAX experience. Later on, though, the home video was not so impressive. Lots of places where Mick's lips don't match what he's singing. Same sloppy editing on the guitars.

Posted by: Dreamer ()
Date: December 28, 2014 02:23

spsimmons

There's a very very good registration of the Barcelona show from the Urban Jungle leg of the tour... One of the best shows in the nineties.

Posted by: audun-eg ()
Date: December 28, 2014 05:47

There's also the Steel Wheels Tokyo 1990 release [www.amazon.com]
Not super quality, but pro-shot and better than many bootlegs

The audio is later brushed up and remixed and released as Live at the Tokyo Dome in the Archives series. Wish they could do some treatment to the video as well, and do a proper release.

[www.reverbnation.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-28 05:50 by audun-eg.

Posted by: max56 ()
Date: December 28, 2014 11:44

moron

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: December 28, 2014 19:40

I made a cassette from a 90s VHS rented from blockbuster nearly 20 years ago and the mix rocks with the guitars way up in the mix especially for the leads. The "Sympathy" has the best Keith solo of all time for me next to the studio...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 28, 2014 19:45

HonkeyTonkFlash
I was also blown away by the IMAX experience. Later on, though, the home video was not so impressive.

Try the Bluray disk it's the one good release to assess the film. thumbs up

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: December 28, 2014 20:12

Fabulously shot, the version I have it the one linked, from a YouTube upload. The guitars are mixed so low in some songs though, it lessens the impact a lot.

Tokyo 1990, Montreal 1989 are my favourites from the pro shots.

Date: December 28, 2014 21:10

Dreamer
spsimmons

There's a very very good registration of the Barcelona show from the Urban Jungle leg of the tour... One of the best shows in the nineties.

Barca was good, but aren't the guitars a bit too clean in the mix? At least they are on my DVD copy.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 29, 2014 05:28

deardoctortake1

They used off nights at one or two venues to film the screwed up parts over. None of that was done in a studio.

Posted by: Papo ()
Date: January 6, 2015 12:01

Inspired by this very thread, I bought the Bluray on christmas eve and watched it a few days later.

I love it!

Although I know that it has overdubs (filmed in empty stadiums), as I had watched the making of on youtube before, I barely noticed them while watching the movie.

I like it that they show some of the backstage stuff going on, the changing of guitars etc...

The sound is great, the playing also (mostly). Beautifully filmed.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: January 6, 2015 18:44

1969Fan

The TV show with the 3D segments was a different broadcast. It was highly edited and was syndicated on local stations, not network or pay-per-view. The Steel Wheels pay-per-view was broadcast non stop, no breaks or commercials, from the Jane Byrne arena in NJ. Good show. In LA, and I suspect other major markets, a local FM rock station carried the audio portion of the broadcast. It was way better than the compressed mono TV audio. I recorded the pic from the pay-per-view and the sound from the radio, and edited it into a 1 hour 59 min non-stop S-VHS.

Again, I suspect we may see it as a 'From the Vault' one of these days. But until then, my S-VHS boot will have to do.

I think you mixed up tours and venues.
Brendan Byrne Arena was visited in Nov. 1981. The shows were filmed by Hal Ashby for Let's Spend The Night Together

In Dec. 1989, the 2nd of 3 shows in Atlantic City was used on PPV, including a 3D segment.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1698
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home