Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Question about Atlantic City '89
Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: December 24, 2014 15:44

Hi,

Over the years I have seen many references to this concert. Was it really special? Was there video of it? Or was it shot on film? Or is it just a soundboard recording?

I know of two main sources of concert footage from 1989/90. Of course there is the official film "At the Max." Then there is the concert on video in Florida where Whoopi Goldberg does the opening introduction. (I think that was in 1989!)

If you can clue me in and share any audio/video links that would be appreciated.

MileHigh

Re: Question about Atlantic City '89
Posted by: dcba ()
Date: December 24, 2014 16:45

Was it really special? YES!

Was there video of it? YES!!

Or was it shot on film? NO...

Or is it just a soundboard recording? NO...

Did Axl Rose beat up someone from the audience during the show? NO...

Was JL Hooker drunk as a Polish sailor when he walked onstage? YES!

Was Clapton bored and boring during LLRooster? YES!

Do we want Jagger to release this one officially? YES... but only after he gave us the DVD box of the four 1995 club-shows...

Posted by: Per-Arne ()
Date: December 24, 2014 16:45

It was a PPV-show
Several DVD copies. (I have one as a double with 3-D glasses)
I think it`s one called Terryfying as well.

CD's: Swinging Pig box (TSP 075) - And as far as I remember, also on vinyl
VGP also has one.

Per Arne

Posted by: daniel t ()
Date: December 24, 2014 17:01

The one in Miami with Whoopi was during the Voodoo Lounge Tour 1994.

Posted by: GJV ()
Date: December 24, 2014 17:37

I agree with everything mentioned here above (mabey not the Clapton remark).
So to make it clear:

you got the same problems as with Hampton and L.A. picture wise, if it's released official some day. It NOT shot on film, just recorded on video from the PPV broadcast.
Maybe it will be released on blu ray like the Hampton concert, but only for the sound. Don't expect super picture quality.

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 24, 2014 17:39

MileHigh
Hi,

Over the years I have seen many references to this concert. Was it really special? Was there video of it? Or was it shot on film? Or is it just a soundboard recording?

I know of two main sources of concert footage from 1989/90. Of course there is the official film "At the Max." Then there is the concert on video in Florida where Whoopi Goldberg does the opening introduction. (I think that was in 1989!)

If you can clue me in and share any audio/video links that would be appreciated.

MileHigh

Ok, first of all it wasn't one show, but THREE: December 17, 19 & 20. The PPV show I think was the 19th. All of them had Axl & Izzy of GN'R and John Lee Hooker as special guests but I think only 1st and 2nd had Eric Clapton.

Unfortuantely I couldn't find full video on Youtube, but you have some clips here: [www.youtube.com]

Date: December 24, 2014 17:59

GJV
I agree with everything mentioned here above (mabey not the Clapton remark).

Yeah I was too harsh : he played quite good. But he often has that "hey I'm not really there" aspect to his stage presence.

Back to AC : along with the (imo) incredible Indianapolis gigs the PPV was the best show of 1989.

Date: December 24, 2014 18:05

There is also a disc #4 with the radio broadcast leading up to the show + some songs from other 1989 shows.

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: December 24, 2014 18:09

HE WAS ALSO AWARE MICK WAS SCREWING THE GIRL HE WAS IN LOVE WITH AT THE TIME, CARLA BRUNI.
SHOW WAS EPIC..

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: December 24, 2014 18:19

I was at the pay per view show. Without question it was the worst audience I have ever sat with at at Stones show. Many of the tickets were given away by Trump as gifts to his corporate friends who were just there because they got free tickets.

The was very little feedback/participation from the audience. Listen to YCAGWYW during the sing along part for example.

The Atlantic City convention center is a horrible venue.

Axl's little "Snake dance" during Salt of the Earth was comical.

John Lee Hooker.....Still don't know why they bring this guy out. Or anyone else for that matter. I go to a Stones concert to see the Stones not these flavor of the week tarts. As much as I admire Eric's talent as guitar player, I could live without him also but he does bring more to the table by far than all the others.

Posted by: stanlove ()
Date: December 24, 2014 19:04

MileHigh
Hi,

Over the years I have seen many references to this concert. Was it really special?

It was just about exactly the same as any other Stones concert from the last quarter of century.

It sounded awful on TV.

Posted by: marko ()
Date: December 24, 2014 19:36

Wolfgangs Vaults recording proves otherwise,,,it wasnt´t awful,,but back then we barely had stereo transmission on tv.....

Date: December 24, 2014 21:16

Let me tell you that back in 1990 when I got a Master vhs tape I got from someone who recorded off a paying TV channel bad sound or not I was in awe!

And when I got the lavish TSP box off a discreet mail-order retrail house I was in double awe! thumbs up

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: December 24, 2014 22:45

I remember taping this on Muchmusic in Canada back then. I believe the 3D 2000 Light Years From Home was filmed in Tokyo?
Clapton rocked on Little Red Rooster. The version on Flashpoint was from Atlantic City but from a different night than the video.
I recently bought this on DVD at a local Walmart.

Date: December 24, 2014 23:43

stanlove
MileHigh
Hi,

Over the years I have seen many references to this concert. Was it really special?

It was just about exactly the same as any other Stones concert from the last quarter of century.

It sounded awful on TV.

No, they played Boggie Chillen, Little Red Rooster and Salt Of The Earth. And they sounded great.

Date: December 24, 2014 23:45

DGA35
I remember taping this on Muchmusic in Canada back then. I believe the 3D 2000 Light Years From Home was filmed in Tokyo?
Clapton rocked on Little Red Rooster. The version on Flashpoint was from Atlantic City but from a different night than the video.

No, same night as the PPV show. Same with Sad Sad Sad.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: December 25, 2014 00:02

DGA35

You bought "Live At The Max" which was mostly if not all from the European Urban Jungle Tour. Atlantic City is yet to be released officially (may be the next Archive release).

BTW...I still have my 3D glasses and video from the original "Terrifying" TV broadcast.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: December 25, 2014 00:09

Actually the 3- D Terrifying was a TV rebroadcast and re mix broadcast on TV May 1990, in which 3 songs from AC, possibly from the final december 19th 1989 night, were broadcast in 3-D and the 3-D glasses were available at 7 Eleven. the 3-D was not from the original pay per view in 1989.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: December 25, 2014 00:13

I have the DVD from Walmart and its not At The Max. It's called "Its Only Rock and Roll" Live On Stage In Atlantic City. I believe its one of those bootlegs that they have gotten in trouble for selling.The quality is poor.

Posted by: masseywinos ()
Date: December 25, 2014 00:17

And I still have the 3D glasses somewhere that was for the tv broadcast. I remember them not making much of a difference.

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: December 25, 2014 00:35

This will be the next release in the "archives" series.

Date: December 25, 2014 00:40

masseywinos
And I still have the 3D glasses somewhere that was for the tv broadcast. I remember them not making much of a difference.

Mine did (and still do). Maybe it was your signal?

Date: December 25, 2014 00:42

masseywinos
I have the DVD from Walmart and its not At The Max. It's called "Its Only Rock and Roll" Live On Stage In Atlantic City. I believe its one of those bootlegs that they have gotten in trouble for selling.The quality is poor.

Wow, guess I didn't realize bootlegs made it to the Walmart shelves!

Date: December 25, 2014 00:43

deardoctortake1
Actually the 3- D Terrifying was a TV rebroadcast and re mix broadcast on TV May 1990, in which 3 songs from AC, possibly from the final december 19th 1989 night, were broadcast in 3-D and the 3-D glasses were available at 7 Eleven. the 3-D was not from the original pay per view in 1989.

Yup, and the 3 were Paint It Black, 2,000 Light Years and It's Only RnR. What would really be cool is if the next Archives was Atlantic City and as bonus material they included those 3 tracks in 3D!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-25 00:45 by shadooby.

Posted by: rocker1 ()
Date: December 25, 2014 01:07

dcba

Back to AC : along with the (imo) incredible Indianapolis gigs the PPV was the best show of 1989.

Hello dcba:
Veering a bit off topic here (apologies to all) but I was at the 2nd Indy show (Dec. 7) in '89, but my seats were WAY WAY back and I remember experiencing a bit of a time-delay/echo because of the great distance! Plus, I was just not in a proper state to "objectively, critically" evaluate the show. (Ha, read what you will into that... I will say however...that I enjoyed it nonetheless. The sound and the reverberation by the dome were big limiting factors to those not in good seats, I think. Made it hard to tell if the performance was great, or just merely good.)

I'm interested and curious that Indy '89 rates so highly in your book, as I haven't necessarily heard this expressed widely--not that that means anything at all. Do you have an opinion on Dec. 6 vs. Dec 7. at Indy, and can you recommended a good boot that might allow me to relive the show, and that might capture some of the magic you remember from the Indy gigs? Thanks...

Date: December 25, 2014 01:15

Stadium (domes) suck for sound. I was at Indy, it was loud but terribly muddy.

Posted by: DD ()
Date: December 25, 2014 02:38

MisterO
I was at the pay per view show. Without question it was the worst audience I have ever sat with at at Stones show. Many of the tickets were given away by Trump as gifts to his corporate friends who were just there because they got free tickets.

The was very little feedback/participation from the audience. Listen to YCAGWYW during the sing along part for example.

The Atlantic City convention center is a horrible venue.

Axl's little "Snake dance" during Salt of the Earth was comical.

John Lee Hooker.....Still don't know why they bring this guy out. Or anyone else for that matter. I go to a Stones concert to see the Stones not these flavor of the week tarts. As much as I admire Eric's talent as guitar player, I could live without him also but he does bring more to the table by far than all the others.

I must say, that's the first time I've ever heard John Lee Hooker described as a "flavor of the week tart".

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: December 25, 2014 04:16

DandelionPowderman
stanlove
MileHigh
Hi,

It sounded awful on TV.

No, they played Boggie Chillen, Little Red Rooster and Salt Of The Earth. And they sounded great.

Yes, yes. And Happy and Miss You were great. Light Years and Ruby Tuesday were good. We got Harlem Suffle and Undercover (see Mick drop the mic).. Great show I thought ...

Date: December 25, 2014 06:11

shadooby
masseywinos

Wow, guess I didn't realize bootlegs made it to the Walmart shelves!

I picked this up from Amazon.com a few months ago...Quality is not the best, but it's better than nothing! (Hate that intro-menu, though...)

Glad someone else knows this copy...What's with that 2006/2007 live picture for a cover?

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: December 25, 2014 06:35

MisterO, I'm reeling from your description of John Lee Hooker.

At its best, IORR has had many great descriptions and insights into MUSIC..which is why I'm here. Talented blues artists were a major influence on the young Rolling Stones. One of them was Hooker.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2058
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home