Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

geeky queston re: dates -- Keith in Los Angeles - July 1968
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: December 13, 2014 12:04

hi - super geeky question. I'm trying to figure out exactly how long and when Keith was in Los Angeles in the summer on 1968.

Some accounts have all the Stones, as well as Marianne Faithfull, Anita, and Gram Parsons, arriving in LA around July 5, 1968 for the Beggars Banquet sessions (mixing/overdubbing), which lasted through July 25, 1968. And some accounts seem to have Keith, Anita, and Gram arriving on July 20, 1968--which would mean Keith was only there for the final 5 days. Which is not possible.

I do not have my reference books with me here in California -- they are still back east with most of my stuff -- so I can't check myself. But on the web, which as we know, sometimes means next to nothing in terms of research, the various treks to Joshua Tree National Park are said to have happened in 1969. Of course that cannot be possible, right? I'd always believed those Joshua Tree trips were in the summer of 1968.

But when in 1968? Does anyone know the dates?

And, again, the exact dates Keith was in California in 1968?

Part of what sparked this line of inquiry--I was, once again, listening to the conversation between Jimi Hendrix and Keith backstage at Madison Square Garden (Nov 27, 1969), in which Jimi asks Keith when he last saw Linda Keith, and Keith says last summer "on the coast" (i.e., summer of 1968 in California). Brian Jones sent Linda Keith a telegram to her hotel in Beverly Hills July 31, 1968 (Brian was in Morocco), which confirms that Linda Keith was indeed in CA in July 1968.

Keith has said in interviews he spent "a couple of months" in California in the summer of 1968, but that's also not possible.

thanks smiling smiley
swiss

Re: geeky queston re: dates -- Keith in Los Angeles - July 1968
Posted by: LieB ()
Date: December 13, 2014 13:08

For what it's worth, here is what is written in The Rolling Stones – A Visual Documentary by Miles (Omnibus Press 1994):

July 7: Mick, Keith, Marianne, Anita and Jimmy Miller fly to Los Angeles. Mick and producer Jimmy Miller are so dissatisfied with the mix done in London on 'Beggars Banquet' that they called in Glyn Johns to re-do it in Los Angeles and flew in mid-July to supervise the work. Mixing took a week, working from midnight to four or five in the morning at Studio 3 in Hollywood.

July 8: Charlie and Shirley Watts join the others in Los Angeles. Jagger comments, "Charlie came over for a holiday – he's doing the mixing just as an excuse to come here, that's all."

July 20: In Hollywood, Mick goes to a Doors concert and hangs out with Jim Morrison afterwards. Brian is in Morrocoo with Suki Poitier where he records more Jajouka music.

The next mention of any of the Stones' whereabouts is:

August 3: Mick and Marianne go on holiday to Ireland.

No mention of Keith, until they attend Tiny Tim's concert in the Royal Albert Hall in November 1968, and later Mick, Keith, Marianne and Anita go to South America.

Can't find anything about Keith in Joshua Park, sorry. I could check other books but don't have the time at the moment.

Date: December 13, 2014 16:25

Now checking Old Gods Almost Dead by Stephen Davis. On page 254 it says Keith hung out with Gram Parsons in LA/California in July 1968, when the Stones were there to mix Banquet.

"One night they drove out into the California desert to watch the sunrise at Joshua Tree National Monument. [...] Wrapped in blankets, guitars at hand, Anita as beautiful and grey-eyed as Minerva, they climbed atop the Cap Rock promontory [...]"

It later tells about Mick's birthday party in London on 26 July, during which John and Paul of the Beatles supposedly made Mick jealous when they played the soon-to-be-released Hey Jude/Revolution single after Mick had played a Beggars Banquet acetate. It says Tony Sanchez was there, but no mention of Keith.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-13 16:26 by LieB.

Date: December 13, 2014 16:48

Spanish Tony writes in his Up And Down With the Rolling Stones (pp 89-):

"They were all due to return on Mick's 25th birtday, July 26th, 1968, so I phoned all the Stones' friends and arranged to combine Mick's party with the opening of the Vesuvio [club in London]. Mick flew in dramatically at the last minute, with the first advance pressing of Beggars Banquet. [...] Mick arrived, then Charlie Watts and John Lennon drifted in, and last of all came Paul McCartney."

Following this is a lenghty account of the party, with the Beggars Banquet and Beatles record playings, plus tons of drug use. John, Paul, Linda Eastman, Yoko, Mick Jagger, Robert Fraser and others are mentioned extensively, but no Keith or other Stones apart from Mick and Charlie.

"Later there were just four of us left: Mick, Marianne, Robert and I."
He then tells about how they all smoke opium.

Considering all this, it's unlikely that Keith (or Brian or Anita) would not have been mentioned had they been present in this drug haze. My guess is that Keith stayed in LA with Gram Parsons and Anita when Mick left LA for the birthday party in London.

Of course, Tony Sanchez is not a highly reliable source.

Date: December 13, 2014 16:57

Also, in Keith's Life, page 248:

"He [Gram] quit [the Byrds] that night -- he was supposed to leave the next day for South Africa. So I said, you can stay here, and we lived with Gram for months and months, certainly the rest of that summer of 1968, mostly at Redlands."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-13 17:00 by LieB.

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: December 13, 2014 17:14

In Bill's book Stone Alone, he writes "Mick, Marianne (newly pregnant) and Jimmy Miller flew to LA on June 6 to join Glyn Johns mix the new album". He later writes that Keith joined them (in Hollywood) as they jumped from studio to studio to ensure the best sound. This seemed to take place around Mick's birthday on July 26.

Date: December 13, 2014 17:17

In the book Twenty Thousand Roads - The Ballad of Gram Parsons and his Cosmic American Music by David N Meyer (2007), p 262, it says:

On August 9, 1968, Gram came back to Los Angeles with Keith and Anita. Three years later Gram told an interviewer: "Keith had to go to LA to mix Beggars Banquet. And I was broke. The Byrds had left me penniless and Keith said, 'Well that's okay - come on, I'll fly you there.' and we came back to LA".

Not sure what to make of this. Before this part, it tells about how Gram lives with Keith and Anita in London, but it says nothing about Keith or the Stones going to LA. Anything is possible, I guess ... maybe Keith went back and fourth a bit. The Byrds South African stint, which Gram never took part in (after being talked out of it by Keith), started on 29 July, it seems. Maybe Keith was with Mick in LA in early July, hung out with Gram, came back to London and then went to LA again in August.

Date: December 13, 2014 17:32

July 6, 1968: Mick Jagger, Marianne Faithfull and Jimmy Miller arrive at Sunset Sound Studios in Los
Angeles, California, for the overdubbing and mixing sessions for Beggars Banquet album.

July 7, 1968: The Byrds, with Gram Parsons, perform a charity concert at the Royal Albert Hall in London. Keith
meets Parsons again, who quits the Byrds and starts hanging with Keith.

July 9, 1968: Charlie Watts arrives in Los Angeles to join the Beggars Banquet mixing sessions.

July 20, 1968: Keith Richards, along with Anita Pallenberg and Gram Parsons, arrive in Los Angeles
to join the final Beggars Banquet sessions.

[www.timeisonourside.com]

Posted by: Halup ()
Date: December 13, 2014 20:18

LieB
For what it's worth, here is what is written in The Rolling Stones – A Visual Documentary by Miles (Omnibus Press 1994):

July 7: Mick, Keith, Marianne, Anita and Jimmy Miller fly to Los Angeles. Mick and producer Jimmy Miller are so dissatisfied with the mix done in London on 'Beggars Banquet' that they called in Glyn Johns to re-do it in Los Angeles and flew in mid-July to supervise the work. Mixing took a week, working from midnight to four or five in the morning at Studio 3 in Hollywood.

July 8: Charlie and Shirley Watts join the others in Los Angeles. Jagger comments, "Charlie came over for a holiday – he's doing the mixing just as an excuse to come here, that's all."

July 20: In Hollywood, Mick goes to a Doors concert and hangs out with Jim Morrison afterwards. Brian is in Morrocoo with Suki Poitier where he records more Jajouka music.

The next mention of any of the Stones' whereabouts is:

August 3: Mick and Marianne go on holiday to Ireland.

No mention of Keith, until they attend Tiny Tim's concert in the Royal Albert Hall in November 1968, and later Mick, Keith, Marianne and Anita go to South America.

Can't find anything about Keith in Joshua Park, sorry. I could check other books but don't have the time at the moment.

The mention of Mick going to a Doors concert on that date is not right. The Doors played at the Hollywood Bowl on July 5, 1 day before Mick arrived. A website I just checked says they played at Kaleidoscope in Hollywood on July 6, the day Mick arrived according to the other report. On July 20, the Doors played in Honolulu.

Maybe Mick actually arrived on the 4th or 5th and went to the Hollywood Bowl show on the 5 or the other one on the 6th

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-12-13 20:20 by Halup.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 13, 2014 21:13

7 July 1968

MJ and KR attend the London premiere of the Beatles film Yellow Submarine in London.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: December 13, 2014 22:21

Wow, swiss that is going to be difficult to nail down with any certainty. The only two sources I could think of that might know (and still remember) the truth are Jo Bergman and the FBI. Keith himself and Anita being possibly the only other ones.

But I don't find it unreasonable that Keith might have been late (July 20) for the mixing sessions, and that he spent a good deal of August at Redlands. So the "couple of months" quote is surely innaccurate. But both Glyn Johns and Eddie Kramer are still around and might be able to shed light on when specifically Keith was there for the Sunset Sound mixing of Beggar's Banquet.

Good luck you geek! winking smiley

peace

Date: December 13, 2014 22:43

jlowe
7 July 1968

MJ and KR attend the London premiere of the Beatles film Yellow Submarine in London.

Only Keith was there (July 17,1968) - Mick was in LA

[www.songlink.com]

Posted by: gypsy18 ()
Date: March 22, 2015 06:37

I use Wyman's Stone Alone and David Meyer's 20,000 Roads books to pinpoint dates. Wyman wrote down every little thing, and Meyer (a great friend of mine) is an excellent researcher as well as writer.

Miles can't even spell Suki Potier's name correctly, which means he didn't do his research. I can't stand lazy authors and journalists.

Posted by: NEWMAN ()
Date: March 22, 2015 09:38

Zentgraf:

680717A 17th July: London, Pavilion Cinema. Premiere of the movie Yellow Submarine.
Footage of MJ & KR attending the premiere.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1973
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home