Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Acoustic set
Posted by: JoT839 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 03:03

I know it was done back in 1969, but why wouldn't they consider doing a acoustic/semi acoustic set of 3-4 songs nowadays? I mean, it would be very fitting in the middle of the setlist to slow things down and pay an homage to their roots..

Personally I would absolutely love for the Stones to play some blues tunes on a blacked out stage with a single spotlight on Mick, Keith, Ronnie (Mick T).. and yes they can sit down and get a rest..

I guess Keith's YGTS comes close and that Shine A Light outtake was pretty amazing, but imagine Prodigal Son, Love in Vain, You Gotta Move, No Expectations, Stop Breaking Down…

Sorry if this has been discussed before

Thoughts?

Re: Acoustic set
Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 26, 2014 03:11

Love the idea, love the musical results. It doesn't translate as well in the huge venues the Stones have been playing is my guess as to why they have given it up.

Hell I'd love a whole show of the Stones on acoustics (yes including the acoustic piano 71Tele). peace

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: November 26, 2014 03:29

Naturalust
Love the idea, love the musical results. It doesn't translate as well in the huge venues the Stones have been playing is my guess as to why they have given it up.

Hell I'd love a whole show of the Stones on acoustics (yes including the acoustic piano 71Tele). peace

Hah, I agree. Wish they do a whole "Mick & Keith Show" acoustic tour of small venues. Hell, why not? Buckingham/Nicks is talking about doing it.

Posted by: deardoctortake1 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 03:44

20 years ago today November 1994
Miami Pay Per View

acoustic set with pull out stage

Angie
Sweet Virginia
Dead Flowers

Yes Beast earlier, sorry for confusion. I was just listening to the soundboard rehearsals which included Beast Of Burden around the time they did the other acoustics

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-26 23:44 by deardoctortake1.

Date: November 26, 2014 04:23

deardoctortake1
Miami Pay Per View

Angie
Beast Of Burden
Sweet Virginia

I would love to see Beast of Burden acoustic. Is that film available? peace

Posted by: floodonthepage ()
Date: November 26, 2014 05:38

It was...

Angie
Dead Flowers
Sweet Virginia

acoustic that night. Beast of Burden had been played earlier in the set.

It is available as "Miami Dice" on KTS (2CD)

Date: November 26, 2014 07:35

floodonthepage
It was...

Angie
Dead Flowers
Sweet Virginia

Thanks. That makes more sense. An acoustic Beast of Burden would have really been a departure from the norm, albeit a very cool one. peace

Posted by: schwonek ()
Date: November 26, 2014 08:30

Yes! Like the Dave Matthews Band currently. Do an acoustic set and one with electric guitars. It gives a new touch to certain songs.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 26, 2014 08:55

Naturalust
... An acoustic Beast of Burden would have really been a departure from the norm, albeit a very cool one. peace

Not live, but I believe they do have an nice acoustic Beast of Burden that was on those many Stripped bootlegs. I'll have to dig it out, there were several cool songs they did that didn't make the final album.

Posted by: teleblaster ()
Date: November 26, 2014 11:26

LeonidP
Naturalust
... An acoustic Beast of Burden would have really been a departure from the norm, albeit a very cool one. peace

Not live, but I believe they do have an nice acoustic Beast of Burden that was on those many Stripped bootlegs. I'll have to dig it out, there were several cool songs they did that didn't make the final album.

You're correct. And very nice it was too.

Would love to see them do an acoustic set, but it won't happen now. They're not going to deviate significantly from the current live set in any future shows. It's reasonably safe, very entertaining and what the vast majority of the audience pay to see and hear. I also doubt if Keith's still got the guitar chops to play in such an exposed setting.

Cherish the Stripped sessions and the odd live acoustic gem from the archives!

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: November 26, 2014 12:00

LeonidP
Naturalust

They did acoustic Beast Of Burden in Paradiso, 1995.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: November 26, 2014 12:47

Naturalust
deardoctortake1
Miami Pay Per View

Angie
Beast Of Burden
Sweet Virginia

I would love to see Beast of Burden acoustic. Is that film available? peace

It's an official video, but Beast Of Burden wasn't done acoustically.

They did at the Paradisio, though.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-26 12:49 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: November 26, 2014 13:33

strongly disagree , to me this would be like the deneutering of the rolling stones sound

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: November 26, 2014 15:00

Naturalust
floodonthepage
It was...

Angie
Dead Flowers
Sweet Virginia

Thanks. That makes more sense. An acoustic Beast of Burden would have really been a departure from the norm, albeit a very cool one. peace
Yeah have a DVD it is fab got it 2nd hand a few year backhot smiley

Posted by: UnpurePurist ()
Date: November 26, 2014 15:12

LeonidP
Naturalust

Here's the stripped studio acoustic version:

Posted by: Long John Stoner ()
Date: November 26, 2014 15:15

Back when MTV first started doing their Unplugged series, it became fashionable for bands to not only do that show, but also to include a short acoustic set in their tours. The Stones B stage was a descendant of that habit, but with this last tour or so, has finally faded as a practice.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: November 27, 2014 13:04

UnpurePurist
LeonidP
Naturalust

Here's the stripped studio acoustic version:

Yes! That is it. Very nice! Still, nothing can compare to the actual album version!

Posted by: marcovandereijk ()
Date: November 27, 2014 13:22

I saw them do an accoustic set in De Kuip in Rotterdam in 1995 on the semi-stage.
A stadium with almost 50.000 persons and both songs, Let it bleed and Angie, are still
part of my happy memories from that show. (Shine a light was also performed on the smaller
stage, but that was hardly accoustic with Ronnies shining lead guitar).

So, I think an accoustic set works well, even in a stadium.

Just as long as the guitar plays, let it steal your heart away

Date: November 27, 2014 13:31

Same here with Wild Horses and Let It Bleed in 1995, Marco. Worked lovely in a stadium setting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1711
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home