Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Track Talk: Something Happened To Me Yesterday
Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: September 3, 2014 12:47

One word come to my mind:

COOL

(like the whole Between The Buttons)

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: September 3, 2014 13:05

with sssoul
Absolutely charming, weird and naive - the acid was good in those days
and the events that immediately followed the release of Between the Buttons
hadn't yet made it difficult to be lighthearted about not being sure if it's against the law -
or something :E

I love the Rolling Stones

Green Lady
1966 was the year that LSD became illegal in the UK - I don't think it was at the time of the Redlands raid or when this track was being recorded.

Hmmm. Correction. Maybe it was by the time of Redlands - but the police don't seem to have been very interested in it. They were after cannabis and other drugs they were familiar with.

I'm not sure if you were responding to my post, Green Lady dear, but for the record:
As Nzentgraf and our own René note this was recorded in November/December 1966;
Between the Buttons was released January 20th 1967, and the Redlands bust was of course February 12th 1967.

I know the focus of the Redlands bust wasn't LSD, but ... well, as you yourself note,
the raiding police weren't sure just what it was, were they.

All I meant was that you can hear the sound of good acid in this track, and that the drugginess was lighthearted and naive
in a way that events that were soon to follow would pretty much rule out.

It's interesting too how this track and (even more) Connection seem to almost have a whiff of what's coming.
"Maybe he should tell someone" - like News of the World, for example? :E
(Disclaimer: My fanged smiley on the end there shows I'm not seriously claiming the Glimmers had precognitive powers!)

- Somewhat Bedraggled Butterflies, June 30th 1967 (Bettman)

I love the Rolling Stones ... and I don't know if they'll let me go :E

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-03 13:43 by with sssoul.

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: September 3, 2014 23:07

DandelionPowderman
jiggysawdust
Obviously influenced by The Kinks.

the Kinks - and the Beatles, too, perhaps?

No offense at all intended --just wondering whether anyone who was alive and listening to all this music
at the time it came out thinks this song/album sounds like the Kinks or Beatles? To me, it just sounds like
the Stones during this incarnation -- seems more a reflection of what was happening in 1966, generally,
what was "in the air" at the time, in terms of pop music and culture. And these bands were all drawing from
it. Rather than "sounding like" anyone - except for Dylan; definitely some Dylan influence in everyone's
songwriting.

This was the first Stones' album I was turned onto as a 3-year-old. I loved it and still do. I wondered for
years what happened to them yesterday....til I became a teenager and then could think of many possibilities.

Date: September 3, 2014 23:09

Witness
My impression is that the turn to the English of the Stones has more to do with the factors Silver Dagger refers to - in short, possibly summed up by the term "Swinging London" - than to a simple influence from other bands.

And as to that album, BETWEEN THE BUTTONS is probably the album that I am in some sense is most fond of. "Something Happened to Me Yesterday" is then one of the songs that so much contributes to the atmosphere of this album.

oops - I should have just thumbs up this post!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: September 4, 2014 12:17

swiss - no, they didn't sound at all like the Kinks in 1966. One of the strange things about getting older is that when you listen to nearly all the bands that sounded so different in 1966, you find that from a present-day viewpoint they all have this same 1966-ness about them (or 1940s-ness or mid-80s-ness or whatever) - within which there are the differences between them. I guess this is the same effect that makes people say that all modern music, or all rap, sounds the same to them.

Later on the experts come into the picture, identify the characteristic elements and the stylistic influences, and teach us to see the wood, where all we saw at the time were the trees.

(Green Lady was 17 at the time Between The Buttons was recorded).

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: September 4, 2014 16:11

swiss
DandelionPowderman
jiggysawdust

No offense at all intended --just wondering whether anyone who was alive and listening to all this music
at the time it came out thinks this song/album sounds like the Kinks or Beatles? To me, it just sounds like
the Stones during this incarnation -- seems more a reflection of what was happening in 1966, generally,
what was "in the air" at the time, in terms of pop music and culture. And these bands were all drawing from
it. Rather than "sounding like" anyone - except for Dylan; definitely some Dylan influence in everyone's
songwriting.

This was the first Stones' album I was turned onto as a 3-year-old. I loved it and still do. I wondered for
years what happened to them yesterday....til I became a teenager and then could think of many possibilities.

I think Dylan's influence didn't go beyond 1967, because by that time everything exploded. With the LSD, Vietnam, Sgt. Pepper, Hendrix...Dylan becomes much less a factor.

Date: September 4, 2014 16:17

swiss
DandelionPowderman
jiggysawdust

songwriting.

I was only thinking about the vaudeville-sound of SHTMY, which obviously was inspired by the Kinks (rather than sounding like them - I see the distinction)

But there are other similarities with the Kinks on this album:

Posted by: Witness ()
Date: September 4, 2014 23:36

Despite admitted likenesses in the melodies of "Party Line" and "Connection", something I was never aware of before another post of yours the other day, Dandelion, my own impression is that those songs have distinctly different colours, flavours and feeling.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: September 5, 2014 00:40

Evening All!

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: September 5, 2014 04:02

nightskyman
swiss
DandelionPowderman
jiggysawdust

songwriting.

I think Dylan's influence didn't go beyond 1967, because by that time everything exploded. With the LSD, Vietnam, Sgt. Pepper, Hendrix...Dylan becomes much less a factor.

Indeed - Was talking about up through 1966 smiling smiley

Date: September 5, 2014 04:09

Green Lady
swiss - no, they didn't sound at all like the Kinks in 1966. One of the strange things about getting older is that when you listen to nearly all the bands that sounded so different in 1966, you find that from a present-day viewpoint they all have this same 1966-ness about them (or 1940s-ness or mid-80s-ness or whatever) - within which there are the differences between them. I guess this is the same effect that makes people say that all modern music, or all rap, sounds the same to them.

Later on the experts come into the picture, identify the characteristic elements and the stylistic influences, and teach us to see the wood, where all we saw at the time were the trees.

(Green Lady was 17 at the time Between The Buttons was recorded).

Green Lady -- brilliant!! (as usual!) I heard an author of a book about the Stones Roses speak last
night - he was talkng about how intimately we get to know some music and how associated some music
becomes with the context (time, people, circumstances) in which we first experienced the music.
Perhaps the closer we get to music (and to people, come to think of it) - the more intimately we know
things - the less they seem the same as the "group" they emerge from, and we're able to experience
their uniqueness more acutely. Love what you say about all '40s music or rap or "new music." I have
a friend who's a little older than me who often says about bands I turn him onto "Cool - they sound like
The Strokes!" when they don't actually, very much. But they sounds more like the Strokes, than, say, The
Animals, so to him they all kinda sound like The Strokes winking smiley

- swiss

Goto Page: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1393
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home