Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5
Re: OT: The Cult
Date: November 22, 2014 19:24

JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman
JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman
They are mainly working and touring in the US. Which side of the "ditch" did you have in mind?

Don't hear much talk about them, and they pretty much have disappeared from the airwaves, satellite included.

Now that's not necessarily the be all and end all.

I just find them to be pretty irrelevant in the grand scheme.

Luckily, many other fans don't.

"Many" might be a strong word.

Playing a music hall in a city like Chicago with a max capacity of 1600 doesn't suggest a legion of supporters for a band trading on '80s nostalgia.

Would rather see The Cult, or any other band for that matter, in a small venue. I think we would all agree here small venue's are a much better experience than arena's. So I guess when Elton John played the Hollywood Paladium, which holds a couple of thousand people at the most, a few years ago doesn't suggests a legion of supporters for an artist trading on his nostalgia?

Posted by: JimmyTheSaint ()
Date: November 22, 2014 19:24

DandelionPowderman
Failing to get the mystique in The Cult's sound, and mixing it up with the sound of Poison, is a cardinal sin. Outrageous!

Esteemed rock critic Robert Christgau - a huge Stones supporter I might add - is on my side of this debate. He aptly dubbed the Cult "dumbass metal for guys who think they are above such things". Sounds like you fit that description.

The Cult are pretty much a joke. Two of their three biggest "hits" were ACDC and Rolling Stones rip-offs. And I'll infer that She Sells Sancuary was probably lifted from something a little more obscure.

Astbury's shtick isn't even original. He borrowed that from the Lizard King.

Billy Duffy can play a mean axe for sure. But so can tens of thousands of weekend-warrior guitarists plugging away in hard rock cover bands across the USA.

Date: November 22, 2014 19:26

[email protected]
JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman
JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman
They are mainly working and touring in the US. Which side of the "ditch" did you have in mind?

Don't hear much talk about them, and they pretty much have disappeared from the airwaves, satellite included.

Playing a music hall in a city like Chicago with a max capacity of 1600 doesn't suggest a legion of supporters for a band trading on '80s nostalgia.

Would rather see The Cult, or any other band for that matter, in a small venue. I think we would all agree here small venue's are a much better experience than arena's. So I guess when Elton John played the Hollywood Paladium, which holds a couple of thousand people at the most, a few years ago doesn't suggests a legion of supporters for an artist trading on his nostalgia?

Elton John can fill stadiums, arenas, theaters and clubs.

The Cult can (maybe) fill a club or a theater.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 22, 2014 19:27

JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman
JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman

And you have the gall to suggest The Cult are of little substance! That's hilarious. What, is 1600 people not enough for you? You'd KILL to see the Stones in a 1600 capacity music venue.

If The Cult were being supported by 80s nostalgia don't you think they'd be playing basketball/hockey arenas then? The Cult have a loyal fan base. They (and the band as well) aren't concerned with the band selling out every show or every huge venue or charging gratuitous amounts of money for a music show like some artists and bands do. They aren't caught up in petty little statistics like some Stones fans are. Which is strange considering how long the Stones have been around. For some people it's all about if they sold out every football stadium or sold the most records compared to whoever or the previous LP or this or that LP (and for Jagger, of course, it all determines if a tour/LP was successful strictly based on sales!!!).

Date: November 22, 2014 19:31

DandelionPowderman
Unfortunately, the only show I've seen was on the The Cult-tour in 1995.

Oh wow. Cool! Beauty's On The Street tour! I have a Westwood Radio show from the 1994 tour from the Palladium in Hollywood, CA that's just awesome. They were really on for that tour.

I've seen them a few times. Not a lot. 7 times. Some tours they haven't come to New Orleans or Biloxi between 2007 and 2012 but one or two I think I was gone on tour for ones that did come through.

Date: November 22, 2014 19:42

JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman
Failing to get the mystique in The Cult's sound, and mixing it up with the sound of Poison, is a cardinal sin. Outrageous!

Esteemed rock critic Robert Christgau - a huge Stones supporter I might add - is on my side of this debate. He aptly dubbed the Cult "dumbass metal for guys who think they are above such things". Sounds like you fit that description.

Uh huh. Jann Wenner's writers for ROLLING STONE thought (enter LP title here) were 4 and 5 star albums that the Stones released in the past, oh, 20 some years as well as at least one solo album. So that doesn't really mean anything. Robert Christgau obviously hasn't ever listened to The Cult because nothing about them is metal yet alone "dumbass metal".

JimmyTheSaint
The Cult are pretty much a joke. Two of their three biggest "hits" were ACDC and Rolling Stones rip-offs. And I'll infer that She Sells Sancuary was probably lifted from something a little more obscure.

You keep going on about them ripping off the Stones for a hit. How people hear Start Me Up in Love Removal Machine is beyond me. As for the rest of your comment, well, whatever. Lil' Devil and Fire Woman are not rip offs of anything nor is She Sells Sanctuary. And, let's see, last I knew you didn't have to have a #1 single to have it be a hit. Of course, it's not like the Stones never ripped anyone off or have had all #1 singles.

JimmyTheSaint
Astbury's shtick isn't even original. He borrowed that from the Lizard King.

At least he stuck to one thing, unlike Jagger...

JimmyTheSaint
Billy Duffy can play a mean axe for sure. But so can tens of thousands of weekend-warrior guitarists plugging away in hard rock cover bands across the USA.

Ha ha! That's hilarious. And you're wrong: There's weekend warriors who can play the LP version note for note and then there are musicians and guitar players. Duffy is a supreme guitar player.

Date: November 22, 2014 19:54

Totally agree, Skip, but in fairness I do hear the Start Me Up riff smiling smiley

Those songs on Electric are pure homage, and they were open about it at the time as well.

Didn't your former band tour with them as well, btw?

Date: November 22, 2014 20:13

No. Never toured with The Cult. A friend of mine's band was slated to open up for them... in 1994. They broke up before that part of the tour.

I've read that, that LRM is a plunking of SMU. But there is zero similarity there. They are completely different riffs. I get the reason why people say that but there truly is zero similarity.

Date: November 22, 2014 20:17

GasLightStreet
No. Never toured with The Cult. A friend of mine's band was slated to open up for them... in 1994. They broke up before that part of the tour.

I've read that, that LRM is a plunking of SMU. But there is zero similarity there. They are completely different riffs. I get the reason why people say that but there truly is zero similarity.

OK. The two first chords (and only those chords) should be well-known to you, though.

Date: November 22, 2014 20:21

You mean the D with the one note added to it? Yeah... it's not a fourth though. Start Me Up is a one/fourth. It's also in a different key!

Date: November 22, 2014 20:22

DandelionPowderman

A little personal bias informing your decision, DP? Now it makes sense. If I actually knew the band I would defend them like my life depended on it too.

I'm sure they are decent guys and are all thrilled they made it as far as they did in their career. It must have been really cool for Astbury to get to stand in for Mojo Risin and get to perform those iconic songs with Manszerek and Kreiger.

Good for the fans of the Cult that they get to see them in small venues. Of course, I too would rather see my favorite acts in small venues. My point was that the Cult don't have any other option but to play small venues because they are a relatively minor outfit with a small, but obviously loyal, following.

Date: November 22, 2014 20:26

GasLightStreet
You mean the D with the one note added to it? Yeah... it's not a fourth though. Start Me Up is a one/fourth. It's also in a different key!

But they sound the same. Just like Money For Nothing has a little JJF in it, without using the same chords. LRM is even more obvious.

Date: November 22, 2014 20:30

JimmyTheSaint
DandelionPowderman

A little personal bias informing your decision, DP? Now it makes sense. If I actually knew the band I would defend them like my life depended on it too.

I'm sure they are decent guys and are all thrilled they made it as far as they did in their career. It must have been really cool for Astbury to get to stand in for Mojo Risin and get to perform those iconic songs with Manszerek and Kreiger.

Good for the fans of the Cult that they get to see them in small venues. Of course, I too would rather see my favorite acts in small venues. My point was that the Cult don't have any other option but to play small venues because they are a relatively minor outfit with a small, but obviously loyal, following.

I don't know them personally (neither have I toured with them), and as it turned out Skippy hadn't toured with them either.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-22 20:33 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: November 22, 2014 20:36

I've only met Billy Duffy. I've not met anyone else in The Cult.

Date: November 22, 2014 21:39

What substance does jimmythesaint think the stones have? Just be the heavy hitting numbers like miss you or hit stuff

Date: November 22, 2014 21:43

I don't know. What kind of substance? Sometimes people are too heady about something simple. It's music, not neurosurgery.

Date: November 22, 2014 21:45

keefriffhard4life
What substance does jimmythesaint think the stones have? Just be the heavy hitting numbers like miss you or hit stuff

Not sure what you are asking?

Lots of "substance" to be found on Let it Bleed, SF, Exile. If by substance we are talking classic rock n roll. Which I think we were.

I may be underselling the virtues of the Cult. But surely you aren't suggesting they belong in the same realm as the Rolling Stones?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-11-22 21:46 by JimmyTheSaint.

Date: November 22, 2014 21:49

No one said that. Different style of music anyway. They're more on par with Zeppelin than anyone else.

I suppose the substance is how it's perceived. Their last album, CHOICE OF WEAPON, is incredible. It's their most mature album. It also kicks ass.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: November 23, 2014 03:07

You either dig them or you don't...but, if you do...

Date: November 23, 2014 03:29

JimmyTheSaint
keefriffhard4life
sure what you are asking?

Lots of "substance" to be found on Let it Bleed, SF, Exile. If by substance we are talking classic rock n roll. Which I think we were.

I may be underselling the virtues of the Cult. But surely you aren't suggesting they belong in the same realm as the Rolling Stones?

No one is saying that. We are saying a lot of what the stones sang about was almost as much fantasy as people who sing about dragons. It's a band of British guys imagining life as an American

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: November 23, 2014 05:03

Love them: Live from Auckland 2010

[www.youtube.com] - Nirvana

[www.youtube.com] - Love Removal Machine

[www.youtube.com] - Dirty Little Rockstar

[www.youtube.com] - She Sells Sanctuary / Revolution

[www.youtube.com] - Fire Woman

From a few years back

Date: November 23, 2014 21:16

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

But they sound the same. Just like Money For Nothing has a little JJF in it, without using the same chords. LRM is even more obvious.

Well, they don't sound the same, LRM and SMU. Money For Nothing has that JJF sound in it that is of the live version oomph it's had over the years but sounds nothing like the studio version.

I understand why someone might think that LRM sounds like SMU but they don't. That Martin guy even said it in his book about the Stones sessions but as far as I am aware Billy Duffy has never even alluded to it, only a few people have. They are no more similar than Brown Sugar and Born In The USA are. They just aren't. Different rhythm, different key and the cadence is completely different. Yeah the riff goes and there's a note that goes up. Well... there are a lot of songs that do that. So then all of those songs sound like SMU too.

Date: November 23, 2014 21:22

The effect of the "da-da da"-riff Billy plays is the same as in SMU. It would sound that way if a cover band played SMU in standard tuning, skipping the D-string. Ending on a G/D instead of an F has nothing to do with it.

Posted by: Naturalust ()
Date: November 23, 2014 21:53

shadooby
You either dig them or you don't...but, if you do...

I dug that. Thanks shadooby. peace

Date: November 23, 2014 22:47

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 23, 2014 23:02

About to put on Electric Peace on the turntable with some red wine.

Date: November 23, 2014 23:03

I love Aphrodisiac Jacket from PEACE. That and Zap City, the outright best songs on the album.

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: November 24, 2014 05:50

GasLightStreet
I love Aphrodisiac Jacket from PEACE. That and Zap City, the outright best songs on the album.

Yes! Do you think they will release a show from the 2013 tour for dvd and bluray?

Date: November 24, 2014 10:46

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Well, they don't sound the same, LRM and SMU. Money For Nothing has that JJF sound in it that is of the live version oomph it's had over the years but sounds nothing like the studio version.

I understand why someone might think that LRM sounds like SMU but they don't. That Martin guy even said it in his book about the Stones sessions but as far as I am aware Billy Duffy has never even alluded to it, only a few people have. They are no more similar than Brown Sugar and Born In The USA are. They just aren't. Different rhythm, different key and the cadence is completely different. Yeah the riff goes and there's a note that goes up. Well... there are a lot of songs that do that. So then all of those songs sound like SMU too.

Come on!

Goto Page: Previous12345
Current Page: 5 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1287
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home