Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Got Live in the UK If You Want It [Got Live Reimagined]
Posted by: funkydrummer ()
Date: June 9, 2014 12:28

OK, given the interesting feedback I got for TSMR reimagined, thought I'd rock the boat again...

Got Live in the UK If You Want It

[Got Live if You Want It 'Remix'] = Right channel removed from original Wide stereo Mix.
Cleanup/Reassembly by funkydrummer

This is a little project that was designed to present the content of the Got Live LP in a slightly more "realistic" concert experience.
The playlist of the tracks were based on the very few set lists we have of 66. So I arranged the way they had...well as best as I could.
This mix removes the gaps/fades of early CD Stereo Mix. I know setlist would be disputable...Most of 66 was started with Not Fade Away, so I went

with Honolulu/early 1966 set lists...I realise they changed a lot...just an attempt...

Right channel removed...

THis method seemed to work less well on "Have You Seen Your Mother Baby" - its Left Channel sounded much different to the other recordings - could

be a different show [?]

YOu can clearly hear the edits - for example the Intro of Satisfaction...I am not sure if the initial few notes are another show? A studio

re-recorded intro to splice onto concert?

In reference to the original wide stereo mix: I was always of the belief that the vocals that we heard were overdubbed in studio, but having

turned the two released versions of the show upside down - I believe hearing the "concert side" of the tape that Jagger's vocal are locked in too

tightly to be anything but original. I think what they did for the LP was isolate his vocals and add reverb, which they panned right channel. That

is not to say that there weren't overdubs, like those echoed/somewhat out backing vox for example - but they too could be isolations with reverb

added after. When the mix is balanced - left channel - it doesn't show much evidence of overdubs at all.
I am still unsure where the original begins and ends - although I think the left channel seems to be a decent representation.
You can hear where the sound quality is less than desirable - like Have You Seen Your Mother?

Remedy: Remove the right channel, and add a little stereo effect, put into an order roughly based on 1966 shows and you have what is a great song

compilation of the late 66 shows. Among my favourite year of all Stones shows. A pity they didn't do a decent job mixing the original in the first

place.

Actually these are some great performances - I don't think they still have the raw masters - they could do such a great back catalogue project

with stuff like this - the actual shows mixed properly (sorta like recent Charlie live show set)

This collection of live tracks of a great Stones period has had such poor presentation - Got Live LP - which it doesn't deserve at all!

Finally - am currently reworking the best of 1966/67 shows into a compilation set, which is uses my own cleanups from the raw boot sources.

Available here: [www.firedrive.com]

Bonus! - unrelated experiment - As Blue Turns to Grey [Demo and Orchestra Version Merge] - as close as I could get!
[www.firedrive.com]

Re: Got Live in the UK If You Want It [Got Live Reimagined]
Posted by: vudicus ()
Date: June 9, 2014 12:38

Excellent idea Funky Drummer.

I'm guessing you're the same FD that does the great work over at Crosstown Traffic too?

Listening to this now, it does indeed sound much more like a real live show.
Great work!

I would like to add that there does seem to be some overdubs in the musical dept.

Not Fade Away - Acoustic Guitar overdub.
Also the Tambourine seems like it might be an overdub.

The Last Time - There seems to be Tambourine and Hand claps.
At least one of these would have to be an overdub as Jagger is the only one who's hands aren't on his instrument. (ooh-err).

I shall add more observations as the recording progresses.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-09 12:46 by vudicus.

Date: June 9, 2014 12:39

Lady Jane - Acoustic Overdub

Date: June 9, 2014 12:44

Get Off Of My Cloud - Hand claps. (2 pairs of hands but only one Jagger)

Date: June 9, 2014 12:45

Under My Thumb - Electric Guitar overdub.

Brian is on Marimba duties and there is 2 guitar parts, both sounding very Keef-like.

Date: June 9, 2014 12:46

Hey vudicius - yeah same funkydrummer - taking some time off Jimi for awhile...
I will listen out for overdubs - you can hear snatches of acoustic instruments - marimbas on UMT - I would tend to agree that acoustic stuff is generally overdubbed?

Date: June 9, 2014 12:48

funkydrummer
Hey vudicius - yeah same funkydrummer - taking some time off Jimi for awhile...
I will listen out for overdubs - you can hear snatches of acoustic instruments - marimbas on UMT - I would tend to agree that acoustic stuff is generally overdubbed?

Your Jimi work is great FD!

I don't recall any pics of Acoustics Guitar on the 1966 tour so my assumption would be overdubs.

As for the Marimba, I'm undecided as to weather they are overdubbed or live.
My guess would be live as the guitar work sounds too much like Keith to be Brian.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-09 12:50 by vudicus.

Date: June 9, 2014 12:49

19th Nervous Breakdown - Tambourine overdub.
I'm glad there were no more overdubs on this tune, they are rocking!

Date: June 9, 2014 12:53

Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby -

I agree this sounds like a totally different recording/show.
The fidelity is way too different.

It's impossible to tell if there are any overdubs on this cut, other than the Tambourine again.

If there are any I would say it's the lead guitar playing the clean licks.
It sounds like an overdub to me, but I can only make out 2 guitars, this one and Keith playing Fuzz-Tone Rhythm.

Date: June 9, 2014 12:55

Satisfaction sounds totally live to me, and I agree that the intro is spliced from another show.

It sounds like the intro has the same lower fidelity as HYSYMB and then cuts to the better recording that is used for the rest of the album.

I think the Piano towards the end is an overdub too, although I could be very wrong.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-09 12:57 by vudicus.

Date: June 9, 2014 12:58

Thanks for the kind words - and affirmation!
This album has been much neglected by myself and I still find its contents mysterious...

vudicus
Have You Seen Your Mother, Baby -

I agree this sounds like a totally different recording/show.
The fidelity is way too different.

It's impossible to tell if there are any overdubs on this cut, other than the Tambourine again.

If there are any I would say it's the lead guitar playing the clean licks.
It sounds like an overdub to me, but I can only make out 2 guitars, this one and Keith playing Fuzz-Tone Rhythm.

Date: June 9, 2014 12:59

Man I hadn't listened to this thing in ages, mainly because it always sounded horrible.

This comes across as a much better representation of the band live in 1966.
This will be my go to version from now on. And it will actually get plaid more than once every ten years now!

Many thanks for all your hard work FD.

Date: June 9, 2014 13:03

No problem - this wasn't hard work, basically left channel of old stereo rearranged a bit - getting Sydney '66 to sound decent - that is an ongoing issue.

vudicus
Man I hadn't listened to this thing in ages, mainly because it always sounded horrible.

This comes across as a much better representation of the band live in 1966.
This will be my go to version from now on. And it will actually get plaid more than once every ten years now!

Many thanks for all your hard work FD.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 9, 2014 14:18

Despite it's obvious wonkyness I've long had a soft spot for this album due to when it's core live recordings and even it's overdubs are from, The Rolling Stones right in the midst of it's Between The Buttons period. cool smiley

I don't have a problem with there being overdubs as such as it's still them playing and singing, the only real issue was the inclusion of the studio tracks with crowd noise chucked on and the weird stereo mix.

Listening to your Reimagined version, it's most definitely an improvement and like vudicus this will be my go to version for when I want to hear those Autumn 1966 recordings.

cool smileysmileys with beer

Date: June 9, 2014 15:06

Hey His Majesty!

Many thanks for the kind words and I too am a big fan of BTB period Stones...
I created an "instrumental" version of BTB using Black Box legit instrumentals and my own extraction mixes of the others...

FD

His Majesty
Despite it's obvious wonkyness I've long had a soft spot for this album due to when it's core live recordings and even it's overdubs are from, The Rolling Stones right in the midst of it's Between The Buttons period. cool smiley

I don't have a problem with there being overdubs as such as it's still them playing and singing, the only real issue was the inclusion of the studio tracks with crowd noise chucked on and the weird stereo mix.

Listening to your Reimagined version, it's most definitely an improvement and like vudicus this will be my go to version for when I want to hear those Autumn 1966 recordings.

cool smileysmileys with beer

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: June 9, 2014 15:29

Good work yet again funkydrummer.

A few years ago we were treated to the first of the 6 Stones' live bootlegs over at RS.com. Since the release of those 6 gigs all has gone quiet at Rolling Stones central regarding the archives being opened.

This year you pitched up with your great re-imagining of TSMR and now with this new project it seems we may be treated to something special that none of us have heard before.

So in other words, please don't stop and carry on the good work.

Date: June 9, 2014 15:56

Silver Dagger

That was most heartwarming! Thank you!
I'll have to try and do something nice now!
FD

Silver Dagger
Good work yet again funkydrummer.

A few years ago we were treated to the first of the 6 Stones' live bootlegs over at RS.com. Since the release of those 6 gigs all has gone quiet at Rolling Stones central regarding the archives being opened.

This year you pitched up with your great re-imagining of TSMR and now with this new project it seems we may be treated to something special that none of us have heard before.

So in other words, please don't stop and carry on the good work.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: June 9, 2014 17:41

Thanks for sharing, FD. I'm listening to it now and enjoying a lot. Good job, FD. smileys with beer

Date: June 10, 2014 11:55

excellent; I have always liked GLIYWI, even though it is one of the oddest releases by the Stones. But your work funkydrummer has become my new 'official' version.
Where can I find your "Satanic Majesties" imagining?

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 10, 2014 12:02

Palace Revolution 2000

[www.iorr.org]

Date: June 10, 2014 12:04

His Majesty
Palace Revolution 2000

[www.iorr.org]

Thanks Philip.

Date: June 10, 2014 12:25

Just listened to sections from TSMR. really nice work Funkydrummer.
A couple years ago, a friend and I put our re-imagines version of "Satanic" out there too. This is an album that likes to be re-imagined.

Date: June 10, 2014 12:27

Just listened to sections from TSMR. really nice work Funkydrummer.Great audio.
This is an album that likes to be re-imagined. At first I don't see myself agreeing with the sequencing. But e.g. I heard the first track of STAT and it works so well.

Date: June 10, 2014 15:54

Palace Revolution

Thanks for listening! The sequencing of TSMR compilation is of course, subjective...
FD

Date: June 11, 2014 01:54

funkydrummer
Palace Revolution

Thanks for listening! The sequencing of TSMR compilation is of course, subjective...
FD

True, but once I started listening I l;ike your sequencing a lot.

Date: June 11, 2014 16:50

Well I will have all of the 1966 Live Shows coming soon.
Just listening to 19th Nervous Breakdown from Got Live thing I did - man, that thing smokes...

Posted by: Stranger09 ()
Date: June 20, 2014 11:05

Hi there

thanks for this!

I wasn't sure on reading how well it would work, but it does!

And very glad it's flac not mp3.

Did anyone know that some of the stereo (studio) tracks on the Hot Rocks CD's and beyond where as limited as mp3's (I can't Be Satisfied I think was one of them, I checked very late / early hours this morning on reading about it online, and it was sadly true!).

Anyway thanks again for this! The more projects like this the merrier...I was thinking of doing something like this and you saved me the trouble! smiling smiley

Date: June 20, 2014 13:27

Stranger09
Hi there

thanks for this!

I wasn't sure on reading how well it would work, but it does!

And very glad it's flac not mp3.

Did anyone know that some of the stereo (studio) tracks on the Hot Rocks CD's and beyond where as limited as mp3's (I can't Be Satisfied I think was one of them, I checked very late / early hours this morning on reading about it online, and it was sadly true!).

Anyway thanks again for this! The more projects like this the merrier...I was thinking of doing something like this and you saved me the trouble! smiling smiley

Which of the Hot Rocks CD versions are you referring to?

Posted by: Stranger09 ()
Date: June 21, 2014 02:15

The original London Decca ones Hot Rocks 1 - MCPS 820141-2.

However the message I read said the tracks were carried across to other CDs too - see here -

Unfortunately, the mastering on the Japanese No. 2 is at least a little screwed up: many (all? I don't remember) of the tracks have an absurdly limited frequency response, peaking out at around ~15kHz. Some of these tracks (notably, the three stereo cuts) get re-used throughout the London program, with the corresponding limited frequency response.
[forums.stevehoffman.tv]

I have seen and heard that not everyone values the opinions expressed on the above forum, but like I say it held true on at least one track on Hot Rocks 1, and the guy gave the impression he knows his stuff.

I'm finding I prefer the sound of much of the Stones 60's stuff on vinyl, hence I've been doing some research...

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home