Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Best version of "Under My Thumb"
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 8, 2014 22:21

this is definitely cool, I like the guitar work. The Groove that keith came up with was first being put into place here. But Best version? I don't agree. Charlie and Mick sound stiff compared to the 69 and 81 versions.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: June 8, 2014 22:25

OK, time for a little Canadian content via Streetheart 1979:

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 8, 2014 22:27

ryanpow
this is definitely cool, I like the guitar work. The Groove that keith came up with was first being put into place here. But Best version? I don't agree. Charlie and Mick sound stiff compared to the 69 and 81 versions.

Keep in mind that Charlie was not mic'd up through pa, so for him the Jones era pop star gigs were as much just a battle to be heard. Opting to use the Satisfaction drum rhythm is intesting and also a marked difference from later vesions.

Date: June 8, 2014 22:28

treaclefingers

Ugh, kill it with fire. hot smiley

Date: June 9, 2014 04:54

His Majesty
treaclefingers

Ugh, kill it with fire. hot smiley

WHY?! I like the artistic license they take, like changing the lyrics from 'a girl who once had me down', to 'a puppy dog yeah, who once had me down'.

That is classic and quite ballsy.

EDIT: in rereading my post, I'm not altogether sure it was obvious I was being sarcastic.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-09 17:18 by treaclefingers.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: June 9, 2014 08:53

Altamont...

2 1 2 0

Date: June 9, 2014 12:48

Studio version: "sophisticated"; as usual Doxa puts it in words best.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: June 9, 2014 16:30

Palace Revolution 2000
Studio version: "sophisticated"; as usual Doxa puts it in words best.

Doxa is an excellent writer; but in this case, "configuration" or even "Tempo" better describes the issue. Again, it's just simply impossible to capture the magical album versions of Tumbling Dice or Under my Thumb in a live setting.Maybe it's why they don't play "Mother's Little Helper" or "Out of Time" live?

Thanks PR - Nice Post!

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 9, 2014 19:52

I like the "audacity" of the '69 versions which feature Taylor's restrained accompaniment and Keith's uncanny rhythm playing. Even Keith's rickety solos are effective. They feel vulnerable and honest. The performances feature some of my favorite Keith playing. The '81 versions are also very effective, but in '69 the band threw out the template and created its own.

Date: June 9, 2014 20:05

pmk251
I like the "audacity" of the '69 versions which feature Taylor's restrained accompaniment and Keith's uncanny rhythm playing. Even Keith's rickety solos are effective. They feel vulnerable and honest. The performances feature some of my favorite Keith playing. The '81 versions are also very effective, but in '69 the band threw out the template and created its own.

Tis like a blend of a slowed down 1967 and Blind Faith's more soulful live versions from 1969.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 9, 2014 22:18

pmk251

Paul, what about this version? It's even groovier. Nice bass as well. From the GYYYO! DVD as you undoubtedly know. I think I like this version the most.

Posted by: 68to72 ()
Date: June 9, 2014 22:42

kleermaker
pmk251

Paul, what about this version? It's even groovier. Nice bass as well. From the GYYYO! DVD as you undoubtedly know. I think I like this version the most.

Got to agree with Kleermaker on this....

The best versions of UMT all have the slower tempo.......

It's a fantastic hypnotic groove, and the Madison Square garden is the best of all.

What a drag it is gettin' old

Posted by: pmk251 ()
Date: June 9, 2014 22:56

I stand corrected. THAT (the slower one) is the one I like and thought I posted. But generally speaking the '69 versions are my favorite even when it was a work in progress.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: June 10, 2014 03:23

[www.youtube.com]

This is the best version of Under My Thumb. The place was Zilker Park in Austin Texas, and the year was 2006, on The Bigger Bang Tour. Listen to how Keith carries a note for 5 or 6 seconds, about 2:04 into the song. The crowd is going wild.

Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: June 10, 2014 05:00

flilflam
[www.youtube.com]

This is the best version of Under My Thumb. The place was Zilker Park in Austin Texas, and the year was 2006, on The Bigger Bang Tour. Listen to how Keith carries a note for 5 or 6 seconds, about 2:04 into the song. The crowd is going wild.

In some places, sarcasm is considered to be a form of violence.

Date: June 10, 2014 11:02

grinning smiley

Posted by: Wroclaw ()
Date: June 10, 2014 11:27

flilflam
[www.youtube.com]

I never understood why they used this one as an "official".

Keith is MIA under well into the song.

Guitars sound as if played unplugged to an amp.

The whole thing sounds bad. The song is just "dead" this way. I LOVE UMT!!! never heard it live... but if they would have played it this way (trusting that this clip preservers the actual sound) I would have been pissed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-10 11:27 by Wroclaw.

Date: June 10, 2014 12:03

flilflam
[www.youtube.com]

yawning smileyyawning smileyyawning smiley What a bad version. Those first few sounds we hear from jagger off camera are bprderline weird; in a bad way. And then there is that headset.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: June 10, 2014 12:27

Yeah that was horrible. The Florida nursing home version.

Live: 1967 and 1969 and 1981/1982.
But the studio wins.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: June 11, 2014 01:34

Chicago'97! (the 1st night) thumbs up

Posted by: thkbeercan ()
Date: June 11, 2014 02:16

I like the Altamont version, sadly enough.....

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 02:16 by thkbeercan.

Posted by: mighty stork ()
Date: June 11, 2014 03:45

I don't think it's this one. I dare you to listen all the way through.

Date: June 11, 2014 10:10

68to72
kleermaker
pmk251

Got to agree with Kleermaker on this....

The best versions of UMT all have the slower tempo.......

It's a fantastic hypnotic groove, and the Madison Square garden is the best of all.

I'll be in the disagree camp. The original studio version is a perfect pop song. The 1981 version is a 'knock it out of the park' stadium rock blast. I find the slow tempo version to be a bit plodding and uninteresting by comparison. There is a groove, it's just not an interesting, or good groove.

Maybe Jagger's vocal kills it, I don't know but I've never quite liked that version.

Date: June 11, 2014 10:12

laertisflash
1981/82, hands down. Despite the fact that Keith botched the intro sometimes (well, the fans didn't want to "ctycify" him for a bad intro then...)

Under My Scarf?!

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 11, 2014 15:43

In my opinion the Sun devil version from '81. Ronnie's rhythm guitar is phantastic and in the same way the piano play by Stew - piano without any plink plonk factor as it is usual today.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-06-11 15:44 by RobertJohnson.

Date: June 11, 2014 16:15

I like the vibe of the 69 versions, but they don't come close to the brilliant faster 66 and 81/82 live versions. THAT groove is something else thumbs up

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: June 11, 2014 17:53

The Rolling Stones-Under My Thumb- Live in Paris 1967

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: July 28, 2014 05:38

ryanpow
flilflam
[www.youtube.com]

In some places, sarcasm is considered to be a form of violence.

Oh Wow..never seen that before...its not even "Vegas" but more like Starlight Express... thumbs down

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: July 28, 2014 13:28

Stoneage
I'm a fan of the 81/82 version. Like the Leeds one above, Hampton or the Still Life version. I guess the Still Life tour was the last when they managed to "renew" old hits and make them sound more contemporary.

Or to put it another way...

The last tour before they made a conscious decision to arrange many songs tp sound more like the original recording.

A wrong decision in my opinion but others may disagree.winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-07-28 14:58 by Spud.

Date: July 28, 2014 13:32

Well...

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1438
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home