Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: The greatest Bill Wyman riffs
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: March 20, 2016 13:20

There is a BBC radio recording - perhaps, Saturday club? - of Berry's, Around and Around, that features some fantastic playing from Bill.

Posted by: B-Flat ()
Date: March 20, 2016 17:02

2120 South Michigan Avenue

Posted by: dandelion1967 ()
Date: March 20, 2016 17:52

Why does nobody mention the great fuzz riff of Flight 505???

--------------------------------------------

"I'm gonna walk... before they make me run"

--------------------------------------------

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: March 20, 2016 20:13

Socrates1
I always forget all the times Keith played bass in the studio. I think Keith was the driving musical force up until the Undercover era. Probably Bill's greatest riffs were from the 60s. Under My Thumb may have been his greatest moment. You have their classic 60s sound on that one, with Keith on guitar and Brian as the utility player.

The 60s? Rocks Off, Bitch, Miss You, Harlem Shuffle, Start Me Up were recorded in the 60s?

Posted by: JerkyLittleGIJoe ()
Date: March 21, 2016 00:51

DandelionPowderman
JerkyLittleGIJoe
Undercover-yes...ER- no, that was Ron Woodeye popping smiley

Robbie Shakespeare on Undercover.

Thanks! never came across that all this time

Posted by: StonesNYc ()
Date: March 21, 2016 21:34

Bill played on so few tracks with The Stones after the 1960's. Keith played most of the good ones.

Date: March 21, 2016 22:12

StonesNYc
Bill played on so few tracks with The Stones after the 1960's. Keith played most of the good ones.

That's not true.

Date: March 21, 2016 22:31

StonesNYc

Bill is on every track of Sticky Fingers, so you must not think much of Brown Sugar, Bitch, or Moonlight Mile. He is on the intro track to Exile, Rocks Off.
He is on Angie. On Black and Blue he is on 6 of the 8 tracks, including Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita, and Memory Motel. On Some Girls Bill plays bass on every major track except Some Girl itself and Shattered. She's So Cold, Start Me Up, Waiting On A Friend, Harlem Shuffle, Mixed Emotions, Blinded By Love, Terrifying, Slipping Away, these must have been shit recordings per your estimation.

Please provide a list, Happy, etc., where Keith played bass, because they'd have to be better than the songs listed above.

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: March 21, 2016 22:56

24FPS
StonesNYc

Bill is on every track of Sticky Fingers, so you must not think much of Brown Sugar, Bitch, or Moonlight Mile. He is on the intro track to Exile, Rocks Off.
He is on Angie. On Black and Blue he is on 6 of the 8 tracks, including Hot Stuff, Hey Negrita, and Memory Motel. On Some Girls Bill plays bass on every major track except Some Girl itself and Shattered. She's So Cold, Start Me Up, Waiting On A Friend, Harlem Shuffle, Mixed Emotions, Blinded By Love, Terrifying, Slipping Away, these must have been shit recordings per your estimation.

Please provide a list, Happy, etc., where Keith played bass, because they'd have to be better than the songs listed above.

Somebody actually did that here. I think the topic was 'What are we to make of this?" or something like that. I did a quick search but couldn't find it. Plus I'm a little busy. Isn't Dirty Work the album he's featured the least? I count three songs there.

Date: March 22, 2016 18:17

Stray Cat Blues has a great Wyman bass line too:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: May 19, 2016 07:41

If you could ask Bill Wyman anything, seeing as there's so much controversy here, what would it be?

Posted by: HonkeyTonkFlash ()
Date: May 19, 2016 13:00

roller99
If you could ask Bill Wyman anything, seeing as there's so much controversy here, what would it be?

Bill, what do you think of Dylans' funk band quote? And what do you think of D. Jones?

Posted by: LieB ()
Date: May 19, 2016 13:43

24FPS
tomk
Sad that Keith (or Mick) has never really acknowledged, or even realised, how important he was to the band.

There was a Bobby Keys story lately of how him and Keith were in the Caribbean hanging out, listening to old Stones music and they both were marveling at how great a bass player Bill was. Maybe it took some distance. Maybe it took realizing what their sound lost when he retired.

Didn't Keith praise his playing in Life (while also mocking his tea drinking and chasing of ugly girls)?

Date: May 19, 2016 14:07

Live With Me from Ya Ya's...He snakes around Keith's guitar riff in an example of Keith and Bill weaving!

Date: May 19, 2016 14:10

24FPS
StonesNYc

Keith plays bass on Before They Make Me Run.

Ronnie (mostly) and Keith play bass on half of the tracks on Emotional Rescue.

I'll go out on a limb and say that Keith, Ronnie and Taylor NEVER recorded bass to improve the track after Bill had done his part. It had more to do with who was in the studio at the moment of inspiration while recording.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-19 14:23 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 19, 2016 16:17

Ronnie also is an old-school-bass-player from the sixties...superb as Always...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 19, 2016 19:08

Come On

what do you mean by 'old-school bass player from the Sixties' ?

he did play bass then but not sure what was old-school about it..

Date: May 19, 2016 20:58

I have another question for all you experts here. How does everyone know that Bill didn't play on a bunch of these tracks, that his work was wiped out and re-done by KR?

Date: May 19, 2016 21:05

roller99
I have another question for all you experts here. How does everyone know that Bill didn't play on a bunch of these tracks, that his work was wiped out and re-done by KR?

I don't think anybody said Bill's bass was wiped and redone by Keith or Woody on anything. On tracks where Keith is credited as having played bass, it was probably just a matter of Keith having an idea and maybe Bill was not around so he just went ahead and did it. Bill's playing has always been excellent so I'm sure that if his bass part already existed, there would be no reason for someone else to redo it.

Date: May 19, 2016 21:18

HonkeyTonkFlash
roller99

I don't think anybody said Bill's bass was wiped and redone by Keith or Woody on anything. On tracks where Keith is credited as having played bass, it was probably just a matter of Keith having an idea and maybe Bill was not around so he just went ahead and did it. Bill's playing has always been excellent so I'm sure that if his bass part already existed, there would be no reason for someone else to redo it.

I think the story on JJF was that Keith had already come up with the bass part, and Bill and he agreed to have Keith do it, no worries. Bill allegedly plays organ on the cut, but there's no credit given on 40 Licks, and only Stu is given credit for playing piano on JJF. I like to think that Bill gives that wonderful funky outro on organ on JJF, but who knows?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 19, 2016 22:21

duke richardson
Come On

what do you mean by 'old-school bass player from the Sixties' ?

he did play bass then but not sure what was old-school about it..

Like Wyman...like John Ëntwistle...like Carol Kaye...people who knows how to just play bass...

2 1 2 0

Date: May 20, 2016 00:40

HonkeyTonkFlash
roller99

I agree that Bill is an amazing bass player. I've interviewed a few other bass players, some of them you've heard of (Robert Trujillo - Metallica, Tony Franklin - The Firm) and without fail they name BW as a big influence. I must admit, I don't religiously read the posts here, but someone mentioned to me once that Keith would come in at night and erase Bill's parts and record over them, and I need clarification. If Bill wasn't around, that's one thing, but KR has said some kind of derogatory things in the past couple of years. That leads me to believe there's a disrespect for him, or that KR is just cranky.

Date: May 20, 2016 01:59

I love his work all over "Aftermath". On two songs he plays fuzz bass (505 and Its not Easy), both brilliant. A pre cursor to "Under my Thumb" is "Talkin Bout You" - a very busy, gooey bassline, that rumbles around in the basement.
I see where several others have mentioned "satisfaction", which is great. IMO it is not just rhythmically clever, but I LOVE the notes. When analyzing "Satisfaction", I think some of the power comes from the bass playing a harmony to the main riff, and then the chords going E-A underneath too. It makes it big and fat.
But I disagree very much on the comparison of Ronnie Lane and Wyman. Both brilliant, but IMO very different. Lane is such a powerhouse, on all cylinders in the Faces sound. Much counterpoint.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 20, 2016 02:11

records mean nothing-the true test of a great band is live-

bills greatness lies in that lockdown rhythm section-richards-wyman-watts

nobody and i mean nobody has ever played like that .three guys in lockstep,the guitar player setting the tempo and the bass and drums following the rhythm of a guitar and moving and shifting with it.

it's in time/out of time you dont know what the fck you're even hearing.all you know is it's a runaway freight train with a madman in eyeshadow at the wheel-

class dismissed.

Date: May 20, 2016 02:13

lem motlow
records mean nothing-the true test of a great band is live-

bills greatness lies in that lockdown rhythm section-richards-wyman-watts

nobody and i mean nobody has ever played like that .three guys in lockstep,the guitar player setting the tempo and the bass and drums following the rhythm of a guitar and moving and shifting with it.

it's in time/out of time you dont know what the fck you're even hearing.all you know is it's a runaway freight train with a madman in eyeshadow at the wheel-

class dismissed.

+1 thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs upsmileys with beer That was one of the best descriptions of what made the classic Wyman era Stones sound like The World's Greatest Garage Band playing in the world's biggest garages! (Think 1981 Tour, Let It Bleed, Black Limousine, Imagination, Under My Thumb, etc.....)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-20 07:32 by HonkeyTonkFlash.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 20, 2016 02:33

"Goin' Home". He lays down a solid foundation and groove for the jam.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-05-20 02:35 by bleedingman.

Date: May 20, 2016 14:54

This forum is/must be really plural but some posts being unfair with Wyman leave me flabbergasted.

Date: May 20, 2016 17:30

It was said so well a couple posts up by lem motlow but it deserves a bump. Bill's greatness as a bass player is truly best proven in the live performances. Lem's description of a runaway freight train is the coolest ever....Sometimes that train would sway wildly from side to side, but damn it - those wheels stayed firmly on the tracks. You had Keith doggedly determined to keep the thing going, and Bill and Charlie rocked it from side to side just enough to sound like it MIGHT go out of control at any time, yet it stayed the course like nobody's business! The Stones still rock with D. Jones, but the train no longer has that dangerous SWAY to it. And there, in that SWAY was the beauty and brilliance of Bill Wyman.

Date: May 20, 2016 22:31

I think Bill ups the ante on his live versions of Live With Me, compared to Keith's studio bass.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: May 26, 2016 11:59

The one I humm the most is start me up, I think bill's part is as interesting as Keith's

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1882
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home