Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3
Re: OT: Potentially wonderful Wilko Johnson news
Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 24, 2015 22:42

EddieByword
Cristiano Radtke
BBC One will broadcast The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson this Tuesday, at 22:35.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Cheers Cristiano .......I've always enjoyed Wilko & Norman , especially with the Blockheads.......

Just a reminder for those interested to watch this documentary tonight on BBC1. grinning smiley

Posted by: RipThisBone ()
Date: November 24, 2015 23:47

Oh MAN! Thank you very much! smileys with beer

I Want To Be Straight. I'm Sick And Tired Of Taking Drugs And Staying Up Late.thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-24 23:49 by RipThisBone.

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: November 25, 2015 05:10

RipThisBone
Oh MAN! Thank you very much! smileys with beer

I Want To Be Straight. I'm Sick And Tired Of Taking Drugs And Staying Up Late.thumbs up

Oi, oi.............

Date: November 25, 2015 23:06

Very interesting docu to watch. Have to watch again, sometimes it's a bit hard to understand because English is not my first language.
Wonderful Geezer Wilco is. I first noticed him as the NEW BLOCKHEAD in 1980 (Norman-Watt Roy bass!!!).
Buying a Dr. Feelgood album is next on my list.
Thanks again for letting me know! Oi Oi !!! smileys with beer

Date: November 25, 2015 23:47

RipThisBone
Very interesting docu to watch. Have to watch again, sometimes it's a bit hard to understand because English is not my first language.
Wonderful Geezer Wilco is. I first noticed him as the NEW BLOCKHEAD in 1980 (Norman-Watt Roy bass!!!).

Although I consider Oil City Confidential (which was also directed by Julien Temple) as being more interesting, it was a very fun doc to watch it and with some touching moments. For instance, when Wilko remembers his mum and dad and when he played in Japan and was greeted by all the cheerful fans there.

It was hard to me to understand some parts of it too, but overall it was great to watch this. Long live Wilko! smileys with beer

Date: November 26, 2015 00:26

Do you know if the BBC broadcast of IAN DURY and THE BLOCKHEADS (+Wilko Johnson) LIVE New Years Eve (1980 Killburn Theatre?) was ever released officialy on DVD?
I just searched YouTube and there is only Sweet Gene Vincent from that concert to be found.
Three years ago or so I could find the whole concert on YouTube. A lot of "Laughter" and "Do It Yourself" on this setlist.

Date: November 26, 2015 01:07

RipThisBone
Do you know if the BBC broadcast of IAN DURY and THE BLOCKHEADS (+Wilko Johnson) LIVE New Years Eve (1980 Killburn Theatre?) was ever released officialy on DVD?
I just searched YouTube and there is only Sweet Gene Vincent from that concert to be found.
Three years ago or so I could find the whole concert on YouTube. A lot of "Laughter" and "Do It Yourself" on this setlist.

I've never seen that, even officially but here's link to a few on Guitars 101 including the Christmas Eve show from the Dominion Theatre in 1980.... scroll down.... [www.guitars101.com] ......a few from laughter & DIY. Also, it's a BBC broadcast.

There's also this from Hammersmith 1985 - proshot - Official release - with Wilko on top form which is fantastic............ [www.ebay.co.uk]

Weirdly, before last week I was looking for the Bataclan show in Paris from 15.12.1995.........(& Tokyo '95)...........it's out there somewhere. I saw it on a Russian torrent site a couple of years back but my ISP doesn't allow me to torrent..........

Anyway, hope that helps............

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 01:19 by EddieByword.

Date: November 26, 2015 14:31

EddieByword
RipThisBone

I've never seen that, even officially but here's link to a few on Guitars 101 including the Christmas Eve show from the Dominion Theatre in 1980.... scroll down.... [www.guitars101.com] ......a few from laughter & DIY. Also, it's a BBC broadcast.

There's also this from Hammersmith 1985 - proshot - Official release - with Wilko on top form which is fantastic............ [www.ebay.co.uk]

Weirdly, before last week I was looking for the Bataclan show in Paris from 15.12.1995.........(& Tokyo '95)...........it's out there somewhere. I saw it on a Russian torrent site a couple of years back but my ISP doesn't allow me to torrent..........

Thanks Eddie, This is the one I had in mind: the Christmas Eve show from the Dominion Theatre in 1980. That would make a great live DVD.

Date: November 26, 2015 14:49

RipThisBone
EddieByword
RipThisBone

Thanks Eddie, This is the one I had in mind: the Christmas Eve show from the Dominion Theatre in 1980. That would make a great live DVD.

That's ok....although I've just tried the Filefactory links and they seem to be dead. I've asked the uploader to reup........If he doesn't in a few days and if you need it I could always upload on Hotstuff as an OT......................
I can really recommend the Hammersmith '85 one...they do extended versions of Sweet Gene Vincent, Blockheads and Rhythm stick which are sublime............

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 14:50 by EddieByword.

Date: November 26, 2015 17:25

That would be great. Yes I need it...!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Thanks for your effort. I do have the (almost) complete setlist ot the Dominion Theatre 1980 somewhere. Hope I can find it tonight at home.thumbs up

Date: November 26, 2015 17:31

RipThisBone
That would be great. Yes I need it...!spinning smiley sticking its tongue out Thanks for your effort. I do have the (almost) complete setlist ot the Dominion Theatre 1980 somewhere. Hope I can find it tonight at home.thumbs up

There you go....I just copied this off 101........

01. Intro
02. I'm Partial to Your Abracadabra
03. Anne Nighhtingale Intro
04. Superman's Big Sister
05. Yes & No (Paula)
06. Uncoolohol
07. Bilericky Dicky
08. Delusions of Grandeur
09. Dance of the Crackpots
10. I Made Mary Cry
11. What a Waste
12. Hey Hey Take Me Away
13. Manic Depression
14. Oh Mr. Peanut
15. Instrumental Medley
16. Hit Me With Your Rhythm Stick
17. Sweet Gene Vincent
18. Blockheads
19. Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll

My PC connection is pretty slow so it'll take a while. Hopefully with everything else I need to do, I should get it done by the end of the weekend at the latest.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-26 17:32 by EddieByword.

Date: November 27, 2015 00:14

EddieByword
RipThisBone

01. Intro
05. Yes & No (Paula)
06. Uncoolohol
07. Bilericky Dicky
10. I Made Mary Cry
11. What a Waste
12. Hey Hey Take Me Away
13. Manic Depression
14. Oh Mr. Peanut
15. Instrumental Medley
17. Sweet Gene Vincent
18. Blockheads

My PC connection is pretty slow so it'll take a while. Hopefully with everything else I need to do, I should get it done by the end of the weekend at the latest.

thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up Take your Time Eddie...so I will have more time to look foreward to it. Long Live IAN DURY & THE BLOCKHEADS (and Wilko)!!!

PS edit: A great setlist with a lot of "Laughter"....HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!smileys with beer

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 00:21 by RipThisBone.

Date: November 27, 2015 13:42

RipThisBone
EddieByword
RipThisBone

01. Intro
05. Yes & No (Paula)
06. Uncoolohol
07. Bilericky Dicky
10. I Made Mary Cry
11. What a Waste
12. Hey Hey Take Me Away
13. Manic Depression
14. Oh Mr. Peanut
15. Instrumental Medley
17. Sweet Gene Vincent
18. Blockheads

thumbs upsmileys with beerthumbs up Take your Time Eddie...so I will have more time to look foreward to it. Long Live IAN DURY & THE BLOCKHEADS (and Wilko)!!!

PS edit: A great setlist with a lot of "Laughter"....HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!smileys with beer

Sorry for the short wait........ grinning smiley .....the files were smaller than I expected..... [www.iorr.org] ............I don't think it's as good as the Hammersmith show but as you say, loads of tracks from 'Laughter' which makes it definitely worth having...........

Date: November 27, 2015 13:49

EddieByword
RipThisBone
EddieByword
RipThisBone

01. Intro
05. Yes & No (Paula)
06. Uncoolohol
07. Bilericky Dicky
10. I Made Mary Cry
11. What a Waste
12. Hey Hey Take Me Away
13. Manic Depression
14. Oh Mr. Peanut
15. Instrumental Medley
17. Sweet Gene Vincent
18. Blockheads

Sorry for the short wait........ grinning smiley .....the files were smaller than I expected..... [www.iorr.org] ............I don't think it's as good as the Hammersmith show but as you say, loads of tracks from 'Laughter' which makes it definitely worth having...........

This is fantastic!!! Thank you very much Mr. Byword. Oi! Oi! smileys with beerthumbs up

Date: November 27, 2015 14:05

RipThisBone
EddieByword
RipThisBone
EddieByword
RipThisBone

01. Intro
05. Yes & No (Paula)
06. Uncoolohol
07. Bilericky Dicky
10. I Made Mary Cry
11. What a Waste
12. Hey Hey Take Me Away
13. Manic Depression
14. Oh Mr. Peanut
15. Instrumental Medley
17. Sweet Gene Vincent
18. Blockheads

Sorry for the short wait........ grinning smiley .....the files were smaller than I expected..... [www.iorr.org] ............I don't think it's as good as the 1985 Hammersmith show but as you say, loads of tracks from 'Laughter' which makes it definitely worth having...........

This is fantastic!!! Thank you very much Mr. Byword. Oi! Oi! smileys with beerthumbs up

Oi oi.............>grinning smiley< ......for all you Blockheads.......Oi Oi!!!....

One of my best weekends included the Blockheads...........The New Barbarians & Led Zep on Saturday 11.8.1979 @ Knebworth and then Ian Dury in the Hammersmith Odeon on the Sunday......plus, the doorman let us in free of charge.....(because they had already (just) come on stage....

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 15:13 by EddieByword.

Date: November 28, 2015 00:09

EddieByword
RipThisBone
EddieByword
RipThisBone
EddieByword
RipThisBone

01. Intro
05. Yes & No (Paula)
06. Uncoolohol
07. Bilericky Dicky
10. I Made Mary Cry
11. What a Waste
12. Hey Hey Take Me Away
13. Manic Depression
14. Oh Mr. Peanut
15. Instrumental Medley
17. Sweet Gene Vincent
18. Blockheads

Sorry for the short wait........ grinning smiley .....the files were smaller than I expected..... [www.iorr.org] ............I don't think it's as good as the 1985 Hammersmith show but as you say, loads of tracks from 'Laughter' which makes it definitely worth having...........

Oi oi.............>grinning smiley< ......for all you Blockheads.......Oi Oi!!!....

One of my best weekends included the Blockheads...........The New Barbarians & Led Zep on Saturday 11.8.1979 @ Knebworth and then Ian Dury in the Hammersmith Odeon on the Sunday......plus, the doorman let us in free of charge.....(because they had already (just) come on stage....

smileys with beer
Well done BLOCKHEAD.
I just watched the Dominon Theatre Show. No words. What a band! What lyrics...What a performance...HAHAHA... Love it!!! Thanks again!
Oi Oi !!!

Date: December 1, 2015 16:37

I think this would fit perfectly on this thread:

Cult heroes: Lee Brilleaux, the bluesman who helped kickstart punk rock
Lee Collinson was the hard-working, blues-obsessed frontman of Dr Feelgood. But it was his punk attitude that was the secret to the success of the band

Lee Brilleaux died two days after Kurt Cobain, on 7 April 1994, at the age of 41. To blokes of a certain vintage playing in bands above pubs, he is what Cobain was to Generation X mallrats. Where Cobain created a sardonic, uninterested aura, off which slacker culture fed, Brilleaux helped kickstart British punk rock – a live-fast tough guy in a skinny tie and tatty jacket fronting the psycho-blues outfit, Dr Feelgood. Viewed today, Brilleaux is the anti-Cobain. His attitude was always one of the hard worker, a cartoon version of a hard-drinking blue-collar Canvey Island geezer. But in many ways Brilleaux was just as nonconformist and disgusted with the record industry merry go round as the Nirvana singer.

Since the release of Julien Temple’s brilliant documentary Oil City Confidential in 2010, there has been a re-evaluation of Canvey island’s premier proponents of supermarket tailoring and severe hair. The unexpected star of the piece was Wilko Johnson, whose mugging to camera in front of now-defunct oil refineries on the Thames Estuary got him a gig as an executioner in Game of Thrones. Johnson’s own subsequent battle with cancer (which he miraculously recovered from) served to make him a chat-show fixture. At times it was easy to forget that Dr Feelgood had a singer at all.

Zoe Howe’s new biography, Lee Brilleaux: Rock’n’Roll Gentleman, is shining the spotlight back towards the Feelgoods frontman. Howe paints Brilleaux as a fascinating, readymade myth: someone aware of his own character to such a degree he wouldn’t budge. “He did not care about what anyone else thought. He used to strut around dressed as a dandy on Canvey Island. There was a punk attitude in him, and I think that was the secret to the success of the band. They just did what they wanted to do and the fact that it was such a hit was almost by accident.”

FULL ARTICLE HERE: [www.theguardian.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-01 16:42 by Cristiano Radtke.

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: December 1, 2015 19:26

Cristiano Radtke
BBC One will broadcast The Ecstasy of Wilko Johnson this Tuesday, at 22:35.

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Fantastic documentary. What an incredible journey he's been on - and long may it continue!

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: December 1, 2015 19:29

Great documentary.

Zoe Howe wrote an excellent book about (and with) Wilko and now she has out on Lee.

Date: January 8, 2016 17:04

Wilko's autobiography will be out on May 26. It can be already pre-ordered at Amazon.co.uk and Amazon.com (only in kindle edition)

Date: January 15, 2016 00:03

RipThisBone

Today my first Dr. Feelgood purchase arrived by post:
ALL THROUGH THE CITY (with Wilko 1974-1977) 3 cd's (containing the first 4 studio albums - and never released outtakes/live songs) and 1 dvd, released in 2012.Including a 40 page booklet also. Only 14,95 euro's here in The Netherlands! A Bargain.

My taste in music indeed.

A STONES-related question came to mind while listening to Wilko and Dr. Feelgood:
Did Wilko really auditioned during "The Great Guitarist Hunt" in Rotterdam january 1975?
Has Wilko ever commented on this?

Posted by: geordiestone ()
Date: January 15, 2016 00:07

He did yes. He says he was offered the job but his wife talked him out of it.

Date: January 15, 2016 00:32

geordiestone
He did yes. He says he was offered the job but his wife talked him out of it.

Hahaha great! smileys with beer

Goto Page: Previous123
Current Page: 3 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1444
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home