Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Who Wrote the Songs?
Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: March 25, 2014 16:52

A few days ago on another thread, there was a brief exchange about Keith having written the lyrics to Ruby Tuesday. I hadn't known that, and I don't know a lot about how a lot of the songs came to be. Much is credited to Jagger Richards, although after their earliest days, clearly the creative process was often not together.

What other lyrics were written solo? (OK - I know Keith wrote Gimme Shelter...)

Re: Who Wrote the Songs?
Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: March 25, 2014 17:33

When Keith became a serious junkie, songs written completely by Mick became a lot more prevalent. If you go album by album from about 1973 on, there are far, far more totally-Mick songs than totally-Keith.

Mick started to come into his own as rhythm guitar player by the BB/LIB sessions. On Sticky Fingers, he wrote Brown Sugar, Sway, Got the Blues, Dead Flowers, Moonlight Mile, Sister Morphine. A high water mark for Mick's writing.

Exile was pretty Keith-y, under the circumstances, but even there: Mick did Torn & Frayed and Shine A Light.

On Goats Head Soup: 100 Years, Hide Your Love, Winter, Star Star.

IORR: title track co-written (sorta) with Ronnie. Mostly Mick. Till the Next Goodbye. Really Want to be My Friend. Fingerprint File. Probably Short and Curlies, too. Not sure.

Black and Blue: Memory Motel, Melody (Mick w/ Billy Preston), Fool to Cry, and Crazy Mama.

Some Girls: *Very* Mick-dominant. Keith contributed only to the last three (and, to be sure, they were good ones).

ER: Title track. Summer Romance. Indian Girl. Could be others. Not sure.

Tattoo You: Neighbors. Worried About You. Heaven. Waiting on a Friend seems like a Mick tune, but not 100% sure.

I could go on ...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-25 17:33 by Mel Belli.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 25, 2014 17:45

Hm well that's Mel Belli's view!

STG, when timeisonourside.com is back on line, check out their pages about the songwriting -
it's the best piece I know of about this intriguing subject and the way the Glimmers have kept us guessing over the decades.

Date: March 25, 2014 18:04

Interesting - thanks to you both!

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: March 25, 2014 18:12

He did:

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 25, 2014 18:52

71Tele, you beat me to it!! That's the first thing I thought of upon reading the thread title.

Date: March 26, 2014 01:27

DaveG
71Tele, you beat me to it!! That's the first thing I thought of upon reading the thread title.

DaveG, you have to get up pretty early to beat me.

Date: March 26, 2014 01:52

Don't you guys go all Manilow on me here!

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: March 26, 2014 01:54

Mel Belli
When Keith became a serious junkie, songs written completely by Mick became a lot more prevalent. If you go album by album from about 1973 on, there are far, far more totally-Mick songs than totally-Keith.

Mick started to come into his own as rhythm guitar player by the BB/LIB sessions. On Sticky Fingers, he wrote Brown Sugar, Sway, Got the Blues, Dead Flowers, Moonlight Mile, Sister Morphine. A high water mark for Mick's writing.

Exile was pretty Keith-y, under the circumstances, but even there: Mick did Torn & Frayed and Shine A Light.

On Goats Head Soup: 100 Years, Hide Your Love, Winter, Star Star.

IORR: title track co-written (sorta) with Ronnie. Mostly Mick. Till the Next Goodbye. Really Want to be My Friend. Fingerprint File. Probably Short and Curlies, too. Not sure.

Black and Blue: Memory Motel, Melody (Mick w/ Billy Preston), Fool to Cry, and Crazy Mama.

Some Girls: *Very* Mick-dominant. Keith contributed only to the last three (and, to be sure, they were good ones).

ER: Title track. Summer Romance. Indian Girl. Could be others. Not sure.

Tattoo You: Neighbors. Worried About You. Heaven. Waiting on a Friend seems like a Mick tune, but not 100% sure.

I could go on ...

But he did much in cooperation with a certain other band member.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: March 26, 2014 01:55

DaveG

You beat me to saying "You beat me to it!"!

Date: March 26, 2014 01:56

SomeTorontoGirl
Don't you guys go all Manilow on me here!

Why not? "Mick" did, once....

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: March 26, 2014 02:15

This is too simplified a discussion. However, to quibble with a few, Keith wrote Torn and Frayed, including most of the lyric. Ron Wood co-wrote Neighbors with Jagger. Keith wrote the music to Waiting On A Friend. Lots of the Some Girls more Jagger sounding songs came from band jams. And of course, there is the whole Moonlight Mile brouhaha. The song is apparently based on a KR riff called Japanese Thing, and the riff is definitely Asian oriented, but Mick Taylor says the build up in the end is his. Either way Jagger doesn't seem to have written it alone.

And Barry Manilow didn't with I Write the Songs. Bruce Johnston did.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-26 02:31 by TeddyB1018.

Date: March 26, 2014 02:23

<<And Barry Manilow didn't with I Write the Songs. Bruce Johnston did.>>

I'm totally shattered to be informed of this.

Next thing you're going to say is that Barry really can smile without you, that he hasn't made it through the rain, and that it looks like we made didn't make it. No point in tryin' to get the feeling again, without the old songs--that he didn't even write.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2014 03:08

ROCKMAN

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: March 26, 2014 03:41

stonehearted
DaveG

stonehearted, you have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat me to saying that you beat me to it.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 26, 2014 03:42

ROCKMAN

Date: March 26, 2014 03:49

DaveG
stonehearted
DaveG

stonehearted, you have to get up pretty early in the morning to beat me to saying that you beat me to it.

That's what I get for being a night person.

Date: March 26, 2014 03:49

stonehearted
<<And Barry Manilow didn't with I Write the Songs. Bruce Johnston did.>>

I'm totally shattered to be informed of this.

Next thing you're going to say is that Barry really can smile without you, that he hasn't made it through the rain, and that it looks like we made didn't make it. No point in tryin' to get the feeling again, without the old songs--that he didn't even write.

LOL

Date: March 26, 2014 04:05

Since Steel Wheels was brought up:

Totally Mick: Sad Sad Sad. Terrifying. Hold On To Your Hat. Hearts For Sale. Blinded By Love. Rock and a Hard Place. Contintental Drift.

Posted by: big4 ()
Date: March 26, 2014 04:49

with sssoul

STG, when timeisonourside.com is back on line, check out their pages about the songwriting -
it's the best piece I know of about this intriguing subject and the way the Glimmers have kept us guessing over the decades.

I think an example of this is in a latter day song is "Too Tight". It sounds like Keith had the "Too Tight" hook and chorus, then Mick wrote the verses. The listener might think it's a Mick song since he is singing it but the groove and feel of the song has Keith's signature all through it, including backing vocals.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: March 26, 2014 05:30

Actually, Bruce Johnston wrote I Write the Songs as a tribute to Brian Wilson.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 26, 2014 06:02

71Tele
He did:

Actually he didn't. Google Bruce Johnston. eye rolling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-26 06:02 by jazzbass.

Date: March 26, 2014 13:52

big4
with sssoul

I think an example of this is in a latter day song is "Too Tight". It sounds like Keith had the "Too Tight" hook and chorus, then Mick wrote the verses. The listener might think it's a Mick song since he is singing it but the groove and feel of the song has Keith's signature all through it, including backing vocals.

A good, but not necessarily foolproof, indication of whether Mick wrote the chords/riff of a song is when he plays guitar on it. He said in an interview for Wandering Spirit that he'll sometimes show a riff to Keith and say "That's how it goes; but you can play it better," and Keith will generously reply, "That sounds perfectly ok to me."

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 26, 2014 15:41

For sure Keith wrote Gimme Shelter, Angie, and the riffs to Satisfaction, Start Me Up, and You Got Me Rocking.

Date: March 26, 2014 18:03

jazzbass
71Tele
He did:

I know, hence the irony.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: March 27, 2014 03:11

71Tele
jazzbass
71Tele
He did:

I know, hence the irony.

thumbs upsmileys with beer

Posted by: Slimharpo ()
Date: March 27, 2014 04:26

I think Keith had a large role in writing "I Got The Blues" and "Worried About You." He also wrote some of "Memory Motel" and some of "Far Away Eyes" on Some Girls.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-03-27 04:28 by Slimharpo.

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: March 27, 2014 22:01

Ian McPherson's site is back up - I really really really recommend his piece on the Glimmer Twins' songwriting: [www.timeisonourside.com]
The short form is we don't know unless the Glimmers tell us, which they barely ever do.

One of my favourite questions is which songs (besides Party Doll) Mick wrote for Keith to sing.
Everyone knows Keith writes stuff for the Mick to sing, but what about the reverse?
(And yes, I'm serious about Party Doll!)

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: March 27, 2014 22:17

If you read Keith's biography, if I recall correctly, he says that he was indeed involved in writing the music for Moonlight Mile - often credited to Jagger and Taylor - in that he began working out the guitar part on a piece he originally called "Japanese Thing"

Posted by: Lady Jayne ()
Date: March 27, 2014 23:01

with sssoul
Ian McPherson's site is back up - I really really really recommend his piece on the Glimmer Twins' songwriting: [www.timeisonourside.com]
The short form is we don't know unless the Glimmers tell us, which they barely ever do.

One of my favourite questions is which songs (besides Party Doll) Mick wrote for Keith to sing.
Everyone knows Keith writes stuff for the Mick to sing, but what about the reverse?
(And yes, I'm serious about Party Doll!)

It's a marvelous piece. Thank you. My favourite quote:

Every song we've got have pieces of each other in it.

- Keith Richards, 1971

(appreciate 1971 is early in the game but would be nice to think it is often true)

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1341
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home