Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8
Re: OT: Gene Simmons declares rock music dead
Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: September 7, 2014 18:46

Also some good points on "American psyche and patriotism". For a while now I've been thinking the flag pin thing is a bit phony, or corny as Gene might say. Also I've met people through the years that feel entitled to free music. Never could understand that. Usually the excuse was they bought enough already. Well okay then don't consume any more I would say. To this day I always buy music or pay for a download on rare occasion since I prefer factory made cds. Oh well, I'm doing my fair share to keep it alive.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 7, 2014 19:34

From Reuters :
"Rock music declares Gene Simmons dead..." smoking smiley

"There was an entire industry to help the next Beatles, Stones, Prince, Hendrix, to prop them up and support them every step of the way"

Yah that's the problem Gene : stupid record execs (= 99% of the breed) would spend all their time looking for "the next Beatles, Stones, Prince" that is a copycat of their current cash cow.

If a person with a reasonable amount of talent and originality came to them they'd usually reject them cos "ya know you can't be labelled. There's no market for your music" Yeah that's the golden age of record industry Gene mourns! confused smiley

And Gene seeme to forget there's a scene outside of the US : a band like Radiohead exists and they even offered an album to DL for free. Gene, for free! Kiss never did anything for free! grinning smiley

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-07 19:45 by dcba.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: September 7, 2014 20:05

Gene would know. He helped kill it. His circus had very little to do with music. How many good songs did they have, as simplistic & formulaic as they were? 5? 10? Not too good a track record for 40 years in the biz. He played the game well, I'll give him that.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: September 7, 2014 20:07

Yup his last great song is "I Love It Loud" written by Gene and Vinnie Vincent in... 1982!

Posted by: Torres ()
Date: September 7, 2014 20:14

Great read.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: September 7, 2014 20:17

dcba
Yup his last great song is "I Love It Loud" written by Gene and Vinnie Vincent in... 1982!

Try "Calling Dr. Love", 1976

Ace Frehley And Keith Richards
Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: September 6, 2014 21:06

This is from KissFAQ.com:

[www.kissfaq.com]

States that Ace was Kiss' Keith Richards. I can see that. I like Ace, and I like his new album.

Re: Ace Frehley And Keith Richards
Date: September 7, 2014 00:26

Ace was a big fan.

Posted by: SKILLS ()
Date: September 7, 2014 00:54

A friend of mine used to run the "Great American Lawn Company" that had exclusive contracts for some of the most significant sites and homes in the greater New York/Conneticut area's acquired the contract to Keiths home, he recounts a story of seeing Richards and Frehley together at Keiths house loaded to the eyeballs, with their particular tipples, playing their guitars on one of keiths patio's and giving him the thrill of lifetime as he was attending to the Lawn infront of them

Nothing short of awesome

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: September 7, 2014 01:12

There's a blog post titled "Ace Frehley's Wobbly First Meeting with Keith Richards": [wwwcrazymama.blogspot.com]

Date: September 7, 2014 01:17

That comparison gets thrown around so easily. The "keith" is an archetype of a rock'n roll band by now. used to describe the quiet, sullen, often dark guitarist who isn't quite in the spotlight; the man with the plan behind the singer. I do think that writing many of a band;s core riffs by default, by being just that: the guitarist doesn't merit being a "Keith Richards".
I can not imagine, or have ever seen Ace Freley, Joe Perry, Izzy, Johnny, Andy McCoy carry a 3 hour interview that not only hold my interest, but actually can elevates.

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 7, 2014 01:24

thumbs downthumbs down

Posted by: shadooby ()
Date: September 7, 2014 01:25

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: September 7, 2014 03:20

I can not imagine, or have ever seen Ace Freley, Joe Perry, Izzy, Johnny, Andy McCoy carry a 3 hour interview that not only hold my interest, but actually can elevates.

\\take a bow Palace...........sentence of thee day ....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: September 7, 2014 03:35

Rockman

\\take a bow Palace...........sentence of thee day ....

+ 100

Posted by: Brstonesfan ()
Date: September 7, 2014 05:38

I like Ace too, but Keith crafted the greatest songs in rock history. Ace is a better lead player, but Keith's legacy is what most rock guitarists could only dream of. Sadly, rock is pretty much a dying genre at this point so even Kiss gets credit for still rocking.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: September 7, 2014 06:02

Always dug Ace. Great guitarist and pretty good songwriter with an above average voice. Pity he didn't get away with vices not interfering with his career the way Keith did. Always loved his/their version of 2000 Man.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: September 7, 2014 08:14

His new album is amazing, despite all odds possible. Never would I have thought I'd be saying one of the best albums of the year is washed up former KISS guitarist Ace Frehley.

Having said that, I love Ace. He's the reason I listen and enjoy KISS. Totally see the connection to Keith. He's not worse, but Keith was never basically TOO out of control to do things. I mean, he was, but either he kept it enough in check or someone did for him. Ace was a ticking timebomb, and while Gene and Paul are total dicks they had a right to be as worried as they did back then. I mean, to fans Ace is great and real and hilarious to watch, but to be working with him he was definitely unstable to a dangerous point.

He seems to be fine now when he's on his own. Just seems like when he rejoins KISS, things go wrong. Either the success gets to him, or the extreme touring, or the closer scrutiny, but he goes off the rails when all eyes come back to him in KISS. I guess just being in that band brings crazy pressures, which I could definitely see. Keith seems to have figured out how to handle it.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: September 7, 2014 09:57

shadooby
thumbs downthumbs down

IsnĀ“t that the new guy in KISS pretending to be Ace Frehley?

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: September 7, 2014 11:00

is it he or Paul Stanley who decided to cover "2000 man" ?

Posted by: bluesinc. ()
Date: September 7, 2014 11:18

Ace covered it,... about the "New" members, Gene Simmons Said in an interview that Kiss could end as a Franchise, anybody could tour instead of them.....

Re: OT: R&R Hall of Fame inductees - KISS talks etc
Posted by: ryanpow ()
Date: September 7, 2014 21:53

Regarding the Esquire Interview...

Rock is no longer alive the way it was. You could point to this reason or that, file sharing, the industry, ect. But I wonder if Rock N Roll music by its very nature is something that was not sustainable. It was excessive and very much of the time, and times change. The music lives on and is still important, but its not a thriving force the way it was once.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-09-07 21:54 by ryanpow.

Date: September 8, 2014 03:07

ryanpow
Regarding the Esquire Interview...

Rock is no longer alive the way it was. You could point to this reason or that, file sharing, the industry, ect. But I wonder if Rock N Roll music by its very nature is something that was not sustainable. It was excessive and very much of the time, and times change. The music lives on and is still important, but its not a thriving force the way it was once.
Honestly, that sounds pretty logical...

Posted by: theanchorman ()
Date: September 8, 2014 03:31

SKILLS
A friend of mine used to run the "Great American Lawn Company" that had exclusive contracts for some of the most significant sites and homes in the greater New York/Conneticut area's acquired the contract to Keiths home, he recounts a story of seeing Richards and Frehley together at Keiths house loaded to the eyeballs, with their particular tipples, playing their guitars on one of keiths patio's and giving him the thrill of lifetime as he was attending to the Lawn infront of them

Nothing short of awesome

Was this at Keith's home in Weston, Ct or his old Salem NY place?
I'd assume it was Weston and back when Ace was first reuniting with a Kiss in the mid to late 90s

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: September 8, 2014 21:37

Ace new album is awesome , on the cover there is a sticker by some rock critic that says better album by Ace than what Kiss has put out since Destroyer . that about sums it up for me , oh by the way, Ace new album rocks so good !!!!!!!

Date: September 8, 2014 22:30

Ace's 2 recent albums are both better than anything kiss has done in 20 years

Posted by: Braincapers ()
Date: September 8, 2014 22:59

keefriffhard4life

I'll second that.

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: September 8, 2014 23:04

...So Gene waits until AFTER He gets into the RnR HOF to declare Rock dead.
How self-serving...

Date: September 9, 2014 00:22

Braincapers
keefriffhard4life

I'll second that.
As someone that hates current KISS, I have to say I think KISS' latest two albums are actually pretty decent. Same as Ace's latest two. Not a ton of reason to compare the two. IMO, they are both currently making some pretty quality work and the only sad thing is I think it could be epic if they got back together (which they won't). The key problem with KISS' current music is they are trying to imitate Frehley and Criss without them actually being there, and the problem with Ace's music is its kind of hard for him to fill up an album on his own with really great quality songs.

Having said that, Ace's newest album is truly fantastic and has blown me away.

Goto Page: Previous12345678
Current Page: 8 of 8

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1775
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home