Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Different Versions of Tell Me (You're Coming Back)
Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: November 14, 2013 19:18

Can anyone shed some light on the different versions commercially released? I understand that the U.S. single was an edit, whilst the U.S. LP version was a little longer. However, I have read about a supposed '4-minute' version without a fade-out that was available on the U.K. Decca LP. I have this particular release on an 80's CD, but the recording clocks in at 3:52. Is this the 'long version'?

Re: Different Versions of Tell Me (You're Coming Back)
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 14, 2013 19:22

I believe the short version is 2:52 and the long version is just over 4 minutes, but I'm doing that from memory.

The short version, if you have it on the first UK album, is a collector's classic and depending on condition worth $1000 +/-

I've yet to acquire that!

Date: November 14, 2013 19:26

treaclefingers
I believe the short version is 2:52 and the long version is just over 4 minutes, but I'm doing that from memory.

The short version, if you have it on the first UK album, is a collector's classic and depending on condition worth $1000 +/-

I've yet to acquire that!

Yes, I keep reading about this '4-minute' version. Mine clocks-in at 3:52. Is that the longest version available today? My CD is the U.K. debut, not England's Newest Hitmakers.

I think the shorter version released on early pressings of the U.K. debut is a demo, no?

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: November 14, 2013 19:41

So what is the short version like? Missing the solo or something? Altogether different version?

I only know two versions: the one that has the ending faded out, and the one that has not (they just let the fading part to be heard until the end, but I don't think is so much longer altogether; it only sounds weird since they seemingly are just jamming aimlessly the chorus until suddenly are calling it quits).

- Doxa

Date: November 14, 2013 20:09

From recollection, the short U.S. single version fades-out earlier. It's this longer '4-minute' version that baffles me. What I really want to know, is whether-or-not the 3:52 version that I have is this version. In other words, is the '4-minute' version not really so.

Date: November 14, 2013 20:11

Woo! Hold the press! I've found the '4-minute' version!!! This isn't the version I have on CD. This release, to my knowledge, is no longer available, it seems!

Date: November 14, 2013 20:12

OK, I'd just like to be the one to confuse things a bit further. Just checked my copies of both England's Newest Hitmakers and the UK 'The Rolling Stones' albums and they both list the time as 3:47

I'm not sure where that leaves us, but I like dealing in COLD HARD FACTS!

So sorry about that reference to 4 minutes, I'm not sure why I had that in my head.

Date: November 14, 2013 20:14

Doxa, I think this may be the shorter U.S. version :-

Date: November 14, 2013 20:15

treaclefingers
OK, I'd just like to be the one to confuse things a bit further. Just checked my copies of both England's Newest Hitmakers and the UK 'The Rolling Stones' albums and they both list the time as 3:47

So sorry about that reference to 4 minutes, I'm not sure why I had that in my head.

Well, my copy of the U.K. debut states the tracks running-length at something like 4:01, but like I said earlier, it's 3:52. Anyway, I've posted the '4-minute' version above. I'd never heard it before.

I think the '3:47' version is what originally appeared on the Englands Newest Hitmakers vinyl.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-14 20:17 by Big Al.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 14, 2013 20:17

The long version I have in MP3 format regsiters at 4:05, but this could simply be because the song is played at a slightly slower pace: I'm really not sure.

Date: November 14, 2013 20:20

So, are these the different versions that have been commercially released :-

Demo - mistakenly released on first-pressings of U.K. debut
4:00 + - released on U.K. debut
3:47 - released on England's Newest Hitmakers
2:52 - released as U.S. single
3:52 - released on 80's pressing of U.K. debut

Posted by: ironbelly ()
Date: November 14, 2013 20:31

If we are talking about CD - here are the results for 'Tell Me' from EAC for different pressings (rip with 'append gap to previous track' option)

4:09.13 on Self Titled German London discs 820 047-2 with matrix 820 047-2 01#. Ends cold.

4:08.30 on Japanese Self Titled Polydor P33L-25014. Here it ends cold too. (Different peak level + different gap). I believe P25L 25031 and POCD-1911 are the same.

3:52.40 on Self Titled German and French London discs 820 047-2 with different matrices (i.e. 820 047-2 02# or 03#). Fade out early.

3:53.28 on German London More Hot Rocks 1 820 515-2 (I believe it is the same as above, just different gap) Fade out early

3:53.70 on Japanese More Hot Rocks 1 Polydor P25L-25049 (Peak level is different + different gap) Fade out early

3:51.27 on ABKCO More Hot Rocks 2CD (62672 in the US or 844 478-2 in Europe) Fade out early

2:46.12 on old ABKCO Singles collection (London 820 900-2 or ABKCO 844 481-2 in Europe)

4:05.65 on 2002 SACD-DSD remaster England's Newest Hit Makers (93752 US) (fade out late, but no cold ending)

3:49.50 on 2002 remaster More Hot Rocks (96262 US)

3:48.37 on 2002 remaster Singles Collection (92312 US)

3:49.26 on 2007 Rolled Gold + (5303281, Europe)

Date: November 14, 2013 20:44

Big Al
treaclefingers

Well, my copy of the U.K. debut states the tracks running-length at something like 4:01, but like I said earlier, it's 3:52. Anyway, I've posted the '4-minute' version above. I'd never heard it before.

I think the '3:47' version is what originally appeared on the Englands Newest Hitmakers vinyl.

Yes you are correct, and I also stand corrected on the DECCA debut...it doesn't actually list the time on either the cover or the label. I'd grabbed a second copy of England's in error. Perhaps the 4 minute version then is correct. I think it's 4:06 or something like that.

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: November 14, 2013 20:52

The 2´52 version is only available as version I on
the first pressings of the UK album. It´s a totally different take.

The US 7" version is an edited version II (the commonly known one)

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 14, 2013 21:11

My Dutch version of Tell Me single AT 15 032 says 4.10

[2.bp.blogspot.com]

Date: November 14, 2013 21:14

Thanks, ironbelly. Goodness, it's such a mess! Why oh why are there so many minor differences in track-lengths?

Date: November 14, 2013 21:27

OK, so I've been listening to the version of Tell Me on my iPod. It clocks in at 3:52, but has pretty much faded-out by 3:47. I guess this is the standard version available on all releases today. Any differences are apparently so minor. It now appears that the '4-minute' version I posted above is not the version that ends cold, but a slightly later fade-out.

Does anyone here have a link to the version that comes to an actual halt?

Date: November 14, 2013 21:32

Big Al
Thanks, ironbelly. Goodness, it's such a mess! Why oh why are there so many minor differences in track-lengths?
All those differences came (mainly) from pre-gaps and silent blocks on CD. You can introduce a second or two in the beginning of the track or after it... Sometime - a bit faster fade out... So technically on CD there are just
1 - cold ending 4.05 + 3-4 sec.
2 - early fade out 3.51 +- 2-3 sec.
3 - edit 2.46 +- couple of sec.
4 - late fade out on 2002 remaster

Main issue came from the fact that those CDs are mastered differently. Japanese London-Polydor KK cold ended version is equalized differently comparing to early German London cold ended version. Early German London cold ended version is mastered slightly different comparing to late German (or French) London version that fades out early. Late German/French London version that fades out early is equalized differently comparing to the same Japanese version from More Hot Rocks 1 P25L-25049. And you have 2002 remaster....

So life is simple and easy winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-14 22:03 by ironbelly.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: November 14, 2013 21:38

Minor Big Al differences shortest 2:46 longest 4.10 difference makes 1.64

Posted by: scottkeef ()
Date: November 14, 2013 22:08

well, one difference I remember from the US single release and LP release is the single edits out the acoustic guitar lead break..possibly fades earlier too?

Date: November 14, 2013 22:26

OK, guys, back to the egg. A quote from Dieter Hoffman - Das Weissbuch - 1991.
Version I - 2.52. On very first UK LP LK 4605 with Matrix XARL 6272-1A. Also on bonus 7" single that came with Das Weissbuch TGP-01-Si
Version II - 4.05, cold end. CD London 820 047-2 (Only on 1st and 2nd pressings) and Japanese London P33L-25014, P25L 25031 and POCD-1911
Version III - 3.44, fade out. On US ABKCO Cd, LP, and late London CDs.
Version IV - 2.41 edit. Instrumental part after 2nd chorus is missing. London 820 900-2 Singles Collection - The London Years.

And we should add
Version V - appr. 3.50, late fade out. From 2002 remaster.

I believe, the numbers I posted earlier are different because EAC add pre gaps to the total track length.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-14 22:28 by ironbelly.

Posted by: Carster ()
Date: November 14, 2013 23:37

Tell Me: Seven collectible versions (full-time collectors only)

(I should know). Who wants to shine?

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 14, 2013 23:51

ironbelly
OK, guys, back to the egg. A quote from Dieter Hoffman - Das Weissbuch - 1991.
Version I - 2.52. On very first UK LP LK 4605 with Matrix XARL 6272-1A. Also on bonus 7" single that came with Das Weissbuch TGP-01-Si
Version II - 4.05, cold end. CD London 820 047-2 (Only on 1st and 2nd pressings) and Japanese London P33L-25014, P25L 25031 and POCD-1911
Version III - 3.44, fade out. On US ABKCO Cd, LP, and late London CDs.
Version IV - 2.41 edit. Instrumental part after 2nd chorus is missing. London 820 900-2 Singles Collection - The London Years.

And we should add
Version V - appr. 3.50, late fade out. From 2002 remaster.

I believe, the numbers I posted earlier are different because EAC add pre gaps to the total track length.

Brilliant! Best version is on the 7' Single 2.52 with full fade out...it's the fade out that rocks....My favorite Stones-song all categories...

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 15, 2013 00:06

Me fave is the 4.09 version and I swear someone yells out Piss Off at the 3.55 mark ...

ROCKMAN

Date: November 15, 2013 00:14

Hmm... starts to get rocket science. Good at the time when I was a completist I didn't even know that there exists different edits and versions.... grinning smiley

I am mostly interest in 'historical progression of things', so I ask, firstly, what was the version like in the UK vinyl album THE ROLLING STONES after the short version was cut off and replaced by the longer version? Namely, I have two re-releases of the album in vinyl and one had 'cold end' and other 'fade out'.

Secondly, when exactly the short version was replaced - or seemingly corrected? Already back then in 1964 while making first pressings of the album? So did all the people who bought the album in Britain when it was released the short "demo" version, or just some 'lucky' ones? Or was it 'corrected' - editions/years - later?

Thank you in advance!

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-15 00:15 by Doxa.

Date: November 15, 2013 00:36

So let me back up a bit my question. Let us forget how many versions of different lenght now all over the world exists, and just think how it was supposed to sound like when it was released. If one bought or get to hands either of the albums - THE ROLLING STONEs (Decca) or ENGLAND'S NEWEST HITMAKERS (London) - for about 20 years, one would get the 'long' (3.47) version with fade out. But there also existed the edited US single version plus that very early mistakenly released short different version in the first pressings of THE ROLLING STONES.

So, the 'cold end' version was something they released much later (probably during the 80's and probably just for historical curiosity to excite collectors), in some later editions of the albums. Before that, no 'cold end' in "Tell Me".

Please do correct me if I am wrong!

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-11-15 00:38 by Doxa.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: November 15, 2013 01:25

Are there different officially released versions of Tell Me? The long and the short of it is that there's just the long and the short of it. An album version and the shorter edit for 45 rpm--the long and the short of it.

Date: November 15, 2013 01:32

Can anyone post a link to the 'cold end' Tell Me? I've been reading about it for years, but have never heard it!

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 15, 2013 08:39

Cold-end endings is typical for the 'CD-era'...cold record-company people working for money don't care about the music...

There is 2 versions on vinyl, the long with an extra tour without song but with the brilliant full length fade-out and then the single and first debut album that was on top-lists all over Europe...5 weeks in top of the Swedish...

2 1 2 0

Date: November 15, 2013 10:19

Big Al
Can anyone post a link to the 'cold end' Tell Me? I've been reading about it for years, but have never heard it!
Just two cents:
1 - No links to official records are allowed on this forum.
2 - Your e-mail is hidden, there is no way to contact you privately.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2268
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home