Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 223
Re: OT: The Beatles go streaming!
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 28, 2015 18:24

Trying to list a Beatles top 5 is like trying to pull your arms out of their sockets.

A Day in the Life
Tomorrow Never Knows
Here Come the Sun
In My Life
Let it Be
-
-
-
-
-
nevermind, impossible...... eye rolling smiley

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2015 19:04

dmay
Cassette tapes and players have become trendy. I still have a couple of Walkman tape players along with a Walkman CD player, all in good condition.

Re streaming, I am clueless as to what it is. If I remember correctly an article I read some weeks ago, Neil Young hates streaming audio. He says its worse than MP3s and we all know how he feels about the MP3 format.

Re the Beatles, I'll listen to them on albums I still have, many of which are mono. I think I also have some mono Stones albums packed away. I guess playing them will be my version of streaming audio.

Streaming is good if you just want to hear/listen to something. Whether it's on headphones at a desk on a computer or your phone plugged in to a sound system (or Bluetoothing it) while you cook or wash dishes etc or on your phone with ear buds walking-running around wherever.

Neil Young probably doesn't do any of that so of course he's got a shitty attitude about people wanting to listen to music. I used to agree with him, the mp3 bitch, but once I figured the hell with it, I still get to at least hear the tunes and enjoy what I'm doing, what does it matter.

I took one of those tests to compare mp3 to wave and I think it was 2 other options. I have great hearing. Well, I wasn't able to tell the difference and wound up picking what I didn't expect to pick for all but one time.

That's when I came to the understanding that, with portable devices and just blasting tunes from the computer, the sound quality isn't important. Because you can still hear the songs just fine.

Sitting and listening... well, if you're not concerned about quality then streaming is fine. The quality may be less than CD but as I just described, that also may be difficult to prove from just your speakers in your living room. I've done streaming for releases I've not made up my mind about buying yet or did not know of. Headphones or speakers. I generally end up buying what I can on CD, which, fortunately, is still a lot. I like the entire deal, the art, even if it's smaller than a vinyl LP.

But when I want to really enjoy it I tend to play CDs in the living room. However, when I'm working on something or can't make up my mind, I plug my phone in so I can jump around (using Google Music via wi-fi - it has my Windows library on it; there's also YouTube with entire albums on posts, Pandora, SoundCloud and Spotify as well).

Once you get over the idea of it and just do it, you forget about it and understand that the quality part is not so important at those times.

Date: December 28, 2015 19:14

GasLightStreet
dmay
Cassette tapes and players have become trendy. I still have a couple of Walkman tape players along with a Walkman CD player, all in good condition.

Re streaming, I am clueless as to what it is. If I remember correctly an article I read some weeks ago, Neil Young hates streaming audio. He says its worse than MP3s and we all know how he feels about the MP3 format.

Re the Beatles, I'll listen to them on albums I still have, many of which are mono. I think I also have some mono Stones albums packed away. I guess playing them will be my version of streaming audio.

Streaming is good if you just want to hear/listen to something. Whether it's on headphones at a desk on a computer or your phone plugged in to a sound system (or Bluetoothing it) while you cook or wash dishes etc or on your phone with ear buds walking-running around wherever.

Neil Young probably doesn't do any of that so of course he's got a shitty attitude about people wanting to listen to music. I used to agree with him, the mp3 bitch, but once I figured the hell with it, I still get to at least hear the tunes and enjoy what I'm doing, what does it matter.

I took one of those tests to compare mp3 to wave and I think it was 2 other options. I have great hearing. Well, I wasn't able to tell the difference and wound up picking what I didn't expect to pick for all but one time.

That's when I came to the understanding that, with portable devices and just blasting tunes from the computer, the sound quality isn't important. Because you can still hear the songs just fine.

Sitting and listening... well, if you're not concerned about quality then streaming is fine. The quality may be less than CD but as I just described, that also may be difficult to prove from just your speakers in your living room. I've done streaming for releases I've not made up my mind about buying yet or did not know of. Headphones or speakers. I generally end up buying what I can on CD, which, fortunately, is still a lot. I like the entire deal, the art, even if it's smaller than a vinyl LP.

But when I want to really enjoy it I tend to play CDs in the living room. However, when I'm working on something or can't make up my mind, I plug my phone in so I can jump around (using Google Music via wi-fi - it has my Windows library on it; there's also YouTube with entire albums on posts, Pandora, SoundCloud and Spotify as well).

Once you get over the idea of it and just do it, you forget about it and understand that the quality part is not so important at those times.

Makes sense Gaslight, and there's definitely some advantages to it from what you're saying and what I've been reading.

I showed a younger friend of mine my giant 15 x 15 foot (and growing) wall of vinyl/cd/cassette music collection I'm in the process of building at my studio.
He kind of scoffed, smirked, and laughed saying 'just think, you could fit all of that into this mini contraption'. I smiled back and thought to myself 'what a f*king idiot' haha.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 28, 2015 19:27

Yeah its funny, I had a similar situation. This yahoo I worked with in Thailand, an American, and about 28 years old, but acted 16. Pretty crap music taste as well. We were talking music and he was gushing about his phone, spotify, and how he has such a great computer sound system. Well, I was interested in a fellow audiophile, but also a bit skeptical. I started discussing vinyl, stereo equipment, music and he too scoffed and said there was no reason to have physical music formats. Well, he lost me right there and then. I love collecting and love the physical beauty of well-made music collections with great art. And then there is sound... well a lot of mp3 sounds ok on computer systems and in the car, but there is no beating a great stereo system playing vinyl or digital through a digital analog converter. Often I do find that younger music fans are firmly in the digital age, which I can understand, but it is a bit sad. Many haven't been exposed to what really good music sounds like on a great system. And in a higher quality format. However, there is a growing crowd of younger music fans exploring high-quality formats and systems. I like to buy vinyl, and now will only get either vinyl or digital eschewing CD releases unless it is a deluxe limited edition release.

Date: December 28, 2015 19:52

Yes there is still hope for some of the young ones to experience a higher quality of art, but as I mentioned in a previous post for a majority of them ignorance is bliss.

For me as a visual artist, it would be like looking at a Rembrandt painting or Michelangelo's Pieta in person vs. a printed copy or computer image - there's really no comparison.
In a printed or computer image you might get a simple impression of it, but you can't see the details of texture or dimension, etc., which results in an inferior experience.

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: December 28, 2015 20:03

Hairball
GasLightStreet
dmay

Makes sense Gaslight, and there's definitely some advantages to it from what you're saying and what I've been reading.

I showed a younger friend of mine my giant 15 x 15 foot (and growing) wall of vinyl/cd/cassette music collection I'm in the process of building at my studio.
He kind of scoffed, smirked, and laughed saying 'just think, you could fit all of that into this mini contraption'. I smiled back and thought to myself 'what a f*king idiot' haha.

Uh huh. You certainly could fit all of that into... obviously the point was missed. WTF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!????????????? It's amazing.

Posted by: DiscoVolante ()
Date: December 28, 2015 21:43

Beatles Top 5

Happiness is a Warm Gun
Tomorrow Never Knows
I Want You (She's So Heavy)
Here Comes The Sun
She Said She Said

Date: December 28, 2015 21:50

I would also have I Want You She's So Heavy, Rain, Day in the Life, Hey Jude, In My Life. But this top five can change. I tend to lean toward Lennon's stuff with heavy Paul participation.

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: December 28, 2015 23:21

Funny thing that Neil Young hates streaming and mp3. He hasn´t produced a good sounding album in decades.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: December 29, 2015 00:20

LOL @ what Svartmer says. Considering how much of Mr. Young's product is proto grunge, you have to wonder how elaborate a set up you need. And that "fine" TRANS album, one would think he would want that heard digitally >grinning smiley<

I streamed the White Album through my laptop, hooked up via bluetooth to my wireless speakers the other day. For what it's worth . sounded OK to me and (shudder) did not miss the hiss pop and cracks that comes with most aged vinyl.

Posted by: pt99 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 02:58

I would assume there is a beatles site somewhere?

Date: December 29, 2015 03:34

(edit)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-29 05:00 by Hairball.

Posted by: Boognish ()
Date: December 29, 2015 03:54

potus43
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
That's some cute trolling you've done there. You've already posted that once in this thread, nobody responded to you, so you do it again. "look at me! look at me! I hate the Beatles, they're boring, look at meeeeee!".

Very cute, indeed.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 29, 2015 08:40

Svartmer
Funny thing that Neil Young hates streaming and mp3. He hasn´t produced a good sounding album in decades.

Living with War from 2006 is really good...Zuma-class>!

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 29, 2015 08:44

ComeOn, Hairball, and Disco I don't think I can do better than your top 5 lists!

thumbs up

loving the Beatles 1+ DVD - I recommend it!

Here are the most-played songs on Spotify, for Worldwide and US ( there are differences...)

Here are the top 10 Beatles tracks on Spotify, according to global data:

1. "Come Together"
2. "Let It Be"
3. "Hey Jude"
4. "Love Me Do"
5. "Yesterday"
6. "Here Comes the Sun"
7. "Help!"
8. "All You Need Is Love"
9. "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
10. "Twist and Shout"

And here's the same list, based on U.S. figures:

1. "Come Together" - remastered
2. "Hey Jude" - remastered 2015
3. "Here Comes the Sun" - remastered
4. "Let It Be" - remastered
5. "Twist and Shout" - remastered
6. "Blackbird" - remastered
7. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - remastered 2015
8. "In My Life" - remastered
9. "She Loves You" - mono/remastered
10. "Help!" - remastered

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-29 08:53 by Turner68.

Date: December 29, 2015 08:59

tool for looking at the charts of songs on spotify.

the beatles have 18 of the 200 most streamed songs today ;-)

Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 16, 2016 22:42

McCartney, Please Please me, 2005

[youtube.com]

What a mind-blowing version. I'm getting sentimental just like the girls starting 1:45 ... Overwhelming!

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: January 17, 2016 00:03

No kidding. A very rocking Please Please Me. Wish he would have done this in Europe too.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: January 17, 2016 00:07

frankotero
No kidding. A very rocking Please Please Me. Wish he would have done this in Europe too.

Yes, rocking, but slow ... Nice groove ...

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: January 17, 2016 15:50

Turner68
ComeOn, Hairball, and Disco I don't think I can do better than your top 5 lists!

thumbs up

loving the Beatles 1+ DVD - I recommend it!

Here are the most-played songs on Spotify, for Worldwide and US ( there are differences...)

Here are the top 10 Beatles tracks on Spotify, according to global data:

1. "Come Together"
2. "Let It Be"
3. "Hey Jude"
4. "Love Me Do"
5. "Yesterday"
6. "Here Comes the Sun"
7. "Help!"
8. "All You Need Is Love"
9. "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
10. "Twist and Shout"

And here's the same list, based on U.S. figures:

1. "Come Together" - remastered
2. "Hey Jude" - remastered 2015
3. "Here Comes the Sun" - remastered
4. "Let It Be" - remastered
5. "Twist and Shout" - remastered
6. "Blackbird" - remastered
7. "I Want to Hold Your Hand" - remastered 2015
8. "In My Life" - remastered
9. "She Loves You" - mono/remastered
10. "Help!" - remastered

Interesting, Here Comes The Sun but no Something. Surprised to see Blackbird on the list. Also, no Yesterday in top 10.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-01-17 15:52 by nightskyman.

Date: January 17, 2016 20:23

yep, there were a lot of surprised. it's interesting to see how a band's favorites age. for example, how "paint it black" continues to be the most popular Stones song in the digital era.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: January 17, 2016 21:07

Interesting, none of the Sgt Pepper tracks feature.

Date: January 17, 2016 21:33

jlowe
Interesting, none of the Sgt Pepper tracks feature.

Nor Revolver.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 7, 2016 01:26

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm......interesting !!!!!!!!!!!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: February 7, 2016 17:50

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: February 7, 2016 18:49

Hmm, aside from the drum head placement I don't see anything different than any big band picture. My two cents.

Date: February 7, 2016 20:25

Yeah, it is a typical big band picture. Bit deal. In fact The Beatles took that concept and added a great psychedelic riff to it adding historical figures all looking at the grave of the old Beatles. I don't see anything like that from Mercblecket.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: February 7, 2016 22:40

Nevertheless...I can see McCartney (while brainstorming) remembering the incident, the lp, the cover and the light bulb in his head going on. Then going to John, George, and Ringo saying "alright lads, what if..."

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2016-02-07 22:41 by nightskyman.

Posted by: drbryant ()
Date: February 8, 2016 00:30

Strawberry Fields Forever
Hey Jude
A Day in the Life
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
In My Life/Something (tie)

I was tempted to include Come Together or Revolution to get some rock on the list, but let's face it, unlike our boys, that just isn't what they were best at.

Date: February 8, 2016 09:00

drbryant
Strawberry Fields Forever
Hey Jude
A Day in the Life
Golden Slumbers/Carry That Weight/The End
In My Life/Something (tie)

I was tempted to include Come Together or Revolution to get some rock on the list, but let's face it, unlike our boys, that just isn't what they were best at.

You have a very narrow definition of rock.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7576777879808182838485...LastNext
Current Page: 80 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1907
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home