Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 223
Re: OT: The Beatles go streaming!
Posted by: TeaAtThree ()
Date: December 24, 2015 23:47

I too resisted streaming for a time because of the idea of not owning a product.
I stream but I still have over a thousand CDs that I listen to at home and in the car. I still purchase "sure bet" CDs, like from artists I know I want to have an object in hand -- Stones, Dylan, Prince, Richard Thompson.

Once I made the leap, I appreciated several factors:

1. Access to things I may not be inclined to buy but want to check out -- in something longer than a 30 second snippet.

2. The ability to listen to something that I owned in LP format but don't particularly care to own again. E.g. I just HAD to hear Siberian Khatru from Yessongs but did not in any way need to own the whole thing.

3. Access to things that are out of print or ridiculously expensive. I went on a tear through Grateful Dead Dick's Picks 1 - 33. Many are quite pricey now, but for $10 a month, I can listen to my heart's content on Spotify.

And, of course, the mobility factor, as already mentioned, is superb.

T@3

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: December 24, 2015 23:47

whitem8
Yeah, no biggie here either. I would much rather spin them on vinyl...

But, it may, however, be a 'biggie' to a fifteen-year-old, not in possession of a turntable or, even a hi-fi. The Beatles are still a force to be reckoned with and it is undoubtedly a good thing that they are reaching-out to all.

Date: December 24, 2015 23:49

Is it possible to copy your streamed-music to iTunes or Windows Media Player?

Posted by: franzk ()
Date: December 25, 2015 00:34

dmay
Re streaming, I am clueless as to what it is. If I remember correctly an article I read some weeks ago, Neil Young hates streaming audio. He says its worse than MP3s and we all know how he feels about the MP3 format.

Neil Young hates only lossy formats. His full discography is available on Tidal which is lossless (but not on lossy Spotify)

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: December 25, 2015 00:38

Big Al
whitem8
Yeah, no biggie here either. I would much rather spin them on vinyl...

But, it may, however, be a 'biggie' to a fifteen-year-old, not in possession of a turntable or, even a hi-fi. The Beatles are still a force to be reckoned with and it is undoubtedly a good thing that they are reaching-out to all.

Oh for sure! I just am not excited by it. And you know a lot of younger folk are getting into analog and turntables. I was visiting some of my favorite vinyl shops in Ann Arbor and they said business is booming and not with old foggies like me, but youngsters. Look on Amazon at all the very reasonable turntables to be had. Very cool!

Date: December 25, 2015 00:38

Cristiano Radtke
Right now I'm listening to Abbey Road on Spotify. It's great to have all this buzz with the Beatles recordings being streamed, but I still think it's much better to listen to them on vinyl or CDs.

Totally agree here. But what if you're somewhere on vacation, or on a long, boring train, plane, ship trip and you don't have your CDs with you, but you want to listen to your favorite songs? That's when streaming comes in handy.

Posted by: DeanGoodman ()
Date: December 25, 2015 02:36

If you've bought any Beatles CDs on Amazon over the years, you'll find that free MP3 versions have been uploaded to your Amazon music library today.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 25, 2015 02:39

franzk
Cristiano Radtke
Right now I'm listening to Abbey Road on Spotify. It's great to have all this buzz with the Beatles recordings being streamed, but I still think it's much better to listen to them on vinyl or CDs.

Totally agree here. But what if you're somewhere on vacation, or on a long, boring train, plane, ship trip and you don't have your CDs with you, but you want to listen to your favorite songs? That's when streaming comes in handy.

Valid points franzk, but for the younger generation there's the problem sensory overload and short attention span. It seems that all this music 'on demand' with zillions of choices at ones disposal has devalued the art/music. Add to the fact that the quality is inferior, and those young whippersnappers are shortchanging themselves. But I suppose ignorance is bliss for them, and their brains will be overflowing with joy and exploding from mass consumption.

Rant over. drinking smiley

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 25, 2015 06:19

franzk
Cristiano Radtke

Yes, but I was talking about listening to this at home (vinyl or streaming). In my opinion, music is something that should be available to everyone, everywhere. smiling smiley

Posted by: Bastion ()
Date: December 25, 2015 10:17

Hairball
franzk
Cristiano Radtke

Valid points franzk, but for the younger generation there's the problem sensory overload and short attention span. It seems that all this music 'on demand' with zillions of choices at ones disposal has devalued the art/music. Add to the fact that the quality is inferior, and those young whippersnappers are shortchanging themselves. But I suppose ignorance is bliss for them, and their brains will be overflowing with joy and exploding from mass consumption.

What a ridiculous statement. Grow up.

Date: December 25, 2015 13:11

Big Al

Yes, if you have a recording software on your pc.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: December 25, 2015 14:39

I've got enough Beatles 'streamed' on my iphone already. Finally available for everyone non iPhone users...I think that's the story here.

It'll be nice, though, now that I use android.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-25 14:40 by nightskyman.

Date: December 25, 2015 14:46

It is very true how digital streaming and buying digital music has changed the music experience. Especially, for a younger generation who has really very little concept of an album, or even a CD, and listening to the entire thing as an artistic experience and statement. Particularly with Albums! I mean you put the album on and your in for the whole ride as the artist intended. With songs playing in order as arranged by the artist on the album. It is a wonderful experience! And the sound is so much better!

I was playing DJ for my family last night as we partied and reminisced through music about the past. It was such a fantastic time. And yeah, I used digital. I had my Bose sound station and was playing music from my library and using Spotify. I could notice a big difference between the quality of Spotify and my digital library with Spotify sounding so much thinner and even at times distorted when compared to my library. But I will say my Father was so impressed by the sound from the Bose and how easy it was to access the music. I saw a glint in his eye while playing his favorite oldies. It was a great time!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-25 18:15 by whitem8.

Date: December 25, 2015 15:14

Hairball
franzk
Cristiano Radtke

Every time someone says something about inferior quality of digital music I remember the times when I was young, in the 80s and we were listening to the songs from the cassetes, most of which were copies of the copies sometimes recorded from the AM radio, and sometimes listened on a crappy mono cassete player. Boy, THAT was inferior quality, those 6th generation, worn tapes. And still, we enjoyed music and it didn't kill our passion to LPs and then CDs. Compared to those tapes even lossy MP3s have superior quality.

Date: December 25, 2015 18:36

Bastion
Hairball
franzk
Cristiano Radtke

What a ridiculous statement. Grow up.

Happy Holidays! smiling smiley

whitem8
It is very true how digital streaming and buying digital music has changed the music experience. Especially, for a younger generation who has really very little concept of an album, or even a CD, and listening to the entire thing as an artistic experience and statement. Particularly with Albums! I mean you put the album on and your in for the whole ride as the artist intended. With songs playing in order as arranged by the artist on the album. It is a wonderful experience! And the sound is so much better!

I was playing DJ for my family last night as we partied and reminisced through music about the past. It was such a fantastic time. And yeah, I used digital. I had my Bose sound station and was playing music from my library and using Spotify. I could notice a big difference between the quality of Spotify and my digital library with Spotify sounding so much thinner and even at times distorted when compared to my library. But I will say my Father was so impressed by the sound from the Bose and how easy it was to access the music. I saw a glint in his eye while playing his favorite oldies. It was a great time!

Agree with the first paragrapah whitem8. thumbs up

As for your DJ story very cool, perhaps I'll experience that same excitement as your Father did some day when I grow up! winking smiley

franzk
Every time someone says something about inferior quality of digital music I remember the times when I was young, in the 80s and we were listening to the songs from the cassetes, most of which were copies of the copies sometimes recorded from the AM radio, and sometimes listened on a crappy mono cassete player. Boy, THAT was inferior quality, those 6th generation, worn tapes. And still, we enjoyed music and it didn't kill our passion to LPs and then CDs. Compared to those tapes even lossy MP3s have superior quality.

In the early '70's my sister and I would make compilation tapes from the radio with a portable tape deck and holding the microphone up to the speaker...patience was mandatory waiting for the songs you wanted to tape. As for the sound quality of those old homemade tapes? Haha....

Date: December 25, 2015 20:15

DandelionPowderman
Big Al

Yes, if you have a recording software on your pc.

Ah, okay. Thank you. My brother transfers his YouTube playlists to the iTunes library, before burning them to CD. Would transferring the 'streamed' tracks, be a similar process?

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: December 25, 2015 20:27

about time

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 25, 2015 20:49

Let it stream

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 25, 2015 21:57

Koen
Let it stream

It's been a hard day's night and I've been streaming like a dog spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

Date: December 25, 2015 22:13

All you need is stream.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: December 26, 2015 00:59

Streaming is cool! It opens up your musical mind because you can have access to all kinds of musical genres without spending all your hard earned money on buying music that you don't know and may not like. We can live without owning music but just renting it when we feel like listening to it.
Rockand roll,
Mops

Date: December 26, 2015 01:26

Cristiano Radtke
Koen
Let it stream

It's been a hard day's night and I've been streaming like a dog spinning smiley sticking its tongue out

smiling smiley

Even though I don't stream, thought I'd get in the spirit of the new Beatles streaming:

And Your Bird Can Stream.
Stream Together.
Don't Let Me Stream.
I'm a Streamer.
Eight Streams a Week.
I'll Follow the Stream.
Stream!
Happiness Is a Warm Stream.
Your Mother Should Stream.
Here Comes the Stream.
I Saw Her Streaming There.
Mean Mr. Streamer (aka Stream Mr. Mustard)
Maxwell's Silver Streamer.
If I Needed Streaming.
Magical Mystery Streamer.
I'm Happy Just to Stream with You.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-26 01:30 by Hairball.

Date: December 26, 2015 02:13

Day Streamer

Date: December 26, 2015 02:16

Streaming (That's What I Want)
little Streamer

Date: December 26, 2015 02:17

Things We Streamed Today

Date: December 26, 2015 02:26

A Stream in the Life...

Posted by: MingSubu ()
Date: December 26, 2015 03:33

Speaking of streaming. On Spotify, one of the commercials is for a video game. I think it's Call of Duty. They have PIB playing during it.

Posted by: Koen ()
Date: December 26, 2015 04:37

The Long and Streaming Road

Date: December 26, 2015 05:25

whitem8
A Stream in the Life...

A stream with the wife >grinning smiley<

Date: December 26, 2015 05:50

Are they streaming solo material?

Instant Karma (We All Stream On)”
#9 Stream

My Sweet Stream
All Those Streams Ago

Silly Stream Songs
Live and Let Stream

It Don't Stream Easy
(Ringo only gets one haha)

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7374757677787980818283...LastNext
Current Page: 78 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1960
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home