Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 224
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: December 7, 2015 16:14

Nice, but I thought the unrestored version wasn't bad either

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: December 7, 2015 16:28

NICOS
Nice, but I thought the unrestored version wasn't bad either

Yes, that "old" video was very good indeed. But I can't remember when it was the last time I've seen it, so this restored version is a kind of a rediscovery for me. grinning smiley

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 7, 2015 20:35

Turner68
Olly
Turner68

...really good of ringo to do this. the money goes to charity, and he ensures that the work ends up in the hands of people who value it (and therefore will take care of it).

'Part of the proceeds from the sale will go to Starr's charity The Lotus Foundation.':

[www.bbc.co.uk]

Let's be clear.

The press is not always reliable. The majority of reports say it is all for charity, as a Google search will reveal. Neither you nor I should claim to know the definitive truth. In any case it is not material to the sentiment of my post.

It is material.

Which reports have you consulted? Perhaps the results that you have uncovered using Google differ from mine.

Of the first five results for a Google search entitled 'ringo starr sells white album', only one, the fifth ranked result, states as you suggest:

'All proceeds of the auction will go to the Lotus Foundation.' (http://www.theguardian.com/music/2015/nov/25/ringo-starr-auction-beatles- white-album-no0000001)

The first, from RollingStone.com (http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/ringo-starrs-personal-white-album-sells-for-world-record-910-000-20151205) does not include the words 'charity', 'Foundation', 'Lotus' or 'proceeds'.

The second result (http://fortune.com/2015/12/06/ringo-starr-drums-white-album/) states that '...part of the proceeds will go to the Lotus Foundation.'

Similarly, the third reports that 'Some of the the proceeds will go to the Lotus Foundation.' (http://www.uncut.co.uk/news/ringo-starrs-copy-of-the-white-album-sells-for-world-record-amount-71989)

Likewise the fourth: 'Proceeds will go in part to the Lotus Foundation.' (http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/music/news/ringo-starrs-drum-kit-and-first-ever-copy-of-the-beatles-white-album-sell-for-record-sums-at-auction-a6762276.html)

These sources are in addition to the BBC article cited above.

Can anyone shed any light on what proportion of the proceeds are being used for charitable purposes?

Olly.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: December 7, 2015 21:20

Olly, it's not material to my point, which was that it is a good thing that he is doing this.

On the auction site it makes it clear that he was only giving a portion, so the press reports I had read were wrong (the LA Times was the initial one I read).

Always better to bypass the press and go to the source.
[www.juliensauctions.com]

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: December 7, 2015 21:33

Scroll down to the video:

Listen to Ringo at 3:13, holding a Rickenbacker
(playing some wrong notes):

"Oh, it must be a Ronnie Wood guitar. He always says:
´It was in tune when I bought it!´ " smiling bouncing smiley

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: December 7, 2015 22:22

Rick Nelson was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 1987.

He has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame at 1515 Vine Street.

Bob Dylan wrote about Nelson's influence on his music in his 2004 memoir, "Chronicles, Vol. 1".

james burton was also his lead guitarist.

[beatlephotoblog.com]

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-08 00:47 by sundevil.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: December 7, 2015 23:09

I checked the Charities Commission website which is the UK organisation which oversees registered charities in the UK.
Checked reg no 107011...which is the number quoted on Ringo's website link.
......but found no record.

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: December 7, 2015 23:13

Turner68
Olly, it's not material to my point, which was that it is a good thing that he is doing this.

On the auction site it makes it clear that he was only giving a portion, so the press reports I had read were wrong (the LA Times was the initial one I read).

Always better to bypass the press and go to the source.

Of course, just curious to hear what proportion people think has been given to the Foundation.

5%?
20%?
50%?
80%?

What leads you to your conclusion?

Olly.

Date: December 8, 2015 00:59

jlowe
I checked the Charities Commission website which is the UK organisation which oversees registered charities in the UK.

not sure how you performed your search, i was able to retrieve it easily:

[apps.charitycommission.gov.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-08 00:59 by Turner68.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: December 8, 2015 06:45

(Slightly off topic, sorry)

I was a Trustee of a Charity in the UK for some years, and am very aware of how strict the UK Laws are, and how vigorously they are enforced.

Damn Good Thing Too!

The WWW was invented after I stopped doing it, but it's good to see such a well laid out web site that allows so much transparency into the accounts of Charities in the UK.

I'm now in Australia, and it's the sort of thing we need here.

(end).

Good to see that Ringo banks at Coutts - all the top people seem to.

--
Captain Corella
60 Years a Fan

Date: December 8, 2015 16:13

Turner68
jlowe

not sure how you performed your search, i was able to retrieve it easily:

[apps.charitycommission.gov.uk]

Oops, my apologies. Must have had a dyslexic moment and missed a digit out.
One of the Trustees also holds a similar position with E.C.'s Crossroads Antigua charity. Most people thought when he kicked that off it would be a rich man's whim. Old Slowhand has proved them wrong on that one.

Posted by: roller99 ()
Date: December 8, 2015 17:07

I was at the auction. Here's some pictures:

That last photo is from Ringo's birthday party in July.

Date: December 8, 2015 19:20

Goodness me, the grey roots which were showing during Beatlemania are none existent now.
Same dye as Paulies?

Date: December 8, 2015 19:25

roller99
I was at the auction. Here's some pictures:

Great pics, roller99! Thanks for sharing. thumbs up

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: December 8, 2015 19:27

jlowe
Goodness me, the grey roots which were showing during Beatlemania are none existent now.
Same dye as Paulies?

I'm not a hair dye expert, but looks closer to Mick's (and no sign of hair transplants or wig for Ringo)!

And thanks for the pics above roller99 - must have been cool to be there! thumbs up

Date: December 8, 2015 19:36

No, Charlie is the hair transplant man.
Keith...maybe also.
Mick will never lose his.

Date: December 8, 2015 19:44

Keith hair transplants? Haha doubt it.
Might as well glue some wads of animal fur around his head.

Date: December 8, 2015 20:34

Hairball
jlowe
Same dye as Paulies?

I'm not a hair dye expert, but looks closer to Mick's (and no sign of hair transplants or wig for Ringo)!

And thanks for the pics above roller99 - must have been cool to be there! thumbs up

It would have been cooler if I'd have been at the pre-party for the auction... But hey, you never know what's going to happen next. I'm hoping for interviews with Paul and Ringo in 2016, they will be doing something special in 2016. Now if only I could get Bill Wyman on the phone....

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: December 9, 2015 16:48

jlowe
No, Charlie is the hair transplant man.
Keith...maybe also.
Mick will never lose his.

Yupe! You got it right!

Date: December 10, 2015 16:53

roller99
Hairball
jlowe
Same dye as Paulies?

It would have been cooler if I'd have been at the pre-party for the auction... But hey, you never know what's going to happen next. I'm hoping for interviews with Paul and Ringo in 2016, they will be doing something special in 2016. Now if only I could get Bill Wyman on the phone....

i've heard that he will sometimes pick up the phone if you ring customer support for his metal detector business when the regular person is at tea.

OT - George Fest: A Night to Celebrate the Music of George Harrison - CD/DVD in February 2016
Posted by: Mongoose ()
Date: December 12, 2015 17:46

This was recorded at the Fonda Theater in L.A. in September 2014. Looks like a good one to get this winter.

I saw George here in Atlanta during his 1974 tour with Ravi Shankar. Yes, his voice was shot, but, for anyone who saw that tour, it didn't really matter.

[www.youtube.com]

Re: OT - George Fest: A Night to Celebrate the Music of George Harrison - CD/DVD in February 2016
Date: December 13, 2015 10:25

Mongoose
This was recorded at the Fonda Theater in L.A. in September 2014. Looks like a good one to get this winter.

I saw George here in Atlanta during his 1974 tour with Ravi Shankar. Yes, his voice was shot, but, for anyone who saw that tour, it didn't really matter.

[www.youtube.com]

great tip, thanks, i hadn't heard about it before.

Re: OT - George Fest: A Night to Celebrate the Music of George Harrison - CD/DVD in February 2016
Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: December 21, 2015 14:20

Yet another Beatles rumour about possible streaming:

[www.billboard.com]

Re: The Beatles will be available on music streaming services
Posted by: Irix ()
Date: December 23, 2015 11:45

Now official: on December 24, 2015 at 12:01am local time, The Beatles’ music is available for streaming worldwide via the following nine services: Spotify, Apple Music, Slacker, Tidal, Groove, Rhapsody, Deezer, Google Play, Amazon Prime.

[www.thebeatles.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-12-23 14:00 by Irix.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: December 23, 2015 15:40

GREAT!

Date: December 24, 2015 02:03

It's streaming now.

[www.youtube.com]

Date: December 24, 2015 03:24

Hairball
jlowe
Same dye as Paulies?

http://thelosangelesbeat.com/2015/12/own-a-slice-of-the-rock-and-roll-pie-juliens-auctions/

Date: December 24, 2015 04:02

Awesome roller99!

Question: Who was friendlier...Jacquelin Bisett or Joan Collins?
By the looks of your pics, I'd guess Jacquelin Bisett!

And, which was cooler... to be that close to Ringo's drums or schmoozing with the celebs? cool smiley

Date: December 24, 2015 04:18

Hairball
Awesome roller99!

Question: Who was friendlier...Jacquelin Bisett or Joan Collins?
By the looks of your pics, I'd guess Jacquelin Bisett!

And, which was cooler... to be that close to Ringo's drums or schmoozing with the celebs? cool smiley

Jacquelin Bisett was cooler. I didn't recognize her at first, and I was just standing there chatting, and I asked her if she was a friend of Joan's, and she just gave me a blank stare. I shrugged my shoulders and she said "don't you know who I am". Someone tapped me on the arm and whispered "Jackie Bisett". She actually thought it was funny. She was nice enough. I'm not a big celebrity kinda guy, so I don't keep up on that sort of thing. Schmoozing with celebs doesn't do much for me, so definitely being close to Ringo's drums was cooler.

There were a few interesting tidbits from the two auction (which were separate), but I can't post about it. You're here in L.A. aren't you?

Date: December 24, 2015 04:21

Shoot me an email Hairball. You can grab the address at http://www.bsidenews.net

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7172737475767778798081...LastNext
Current Page: 76 of 224

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1219
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home