Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: chop ()
Date: November 24, 2015 17:06

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-24 17:07 by chop.

Posted by: chop ()
Date: November 24, 2015 17:07

Turner68
NICOS
What wedge grinning smiley Ringo's face tells it all

Oddly, Yoko is the person in that picture who has charted the most hits over the last 10 years.

Might have something to do with 2 of them being dead.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 24, 2015 17:17

Just noticed that Please Please Me isnt on the new album.
Strange as it certainly got to No 1 (in UK that is).
Love Me Do barely made the Top 20 but is included.
PPM is published by Dick James Music I believe, but cant imagine that is a reason for its non inclusion.

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 24, 2015 17:54

jlowe
PPM is published by Dick James Music I believe, but cant imagine that is a reason for its non inclusion.

It depends on which chart you look at.
Please Please Me only made it to no. 2 according to the Guinness book and the Official Chart Company. [www.officialcharts.com]
It did make no.1 in the NME chart.
There's a discussion about it here: [www.45cat.com]

Love Me Do made it to number 1 in the US when it was reissued during the first wave of Beatlemania.
The "1" album is supposed to include the band's number one singles in the UK and US.

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-25 01:28 by Deltics.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 24, 2015 18:30

Deltics
jlowe

It depends on which chart you look at.
Please Please Me only made it to no. 2 according to the Guinness book and the Official Chart Company. [www.officialcharts.com]
It did make no.1 in the NME chart.
There'a discussion about it here: [www.45cat.com]

Love Me Do made it to number 1 in the US when it was reissued during the first wave of Beatlemania.
The "1" album is supposed to include the band's number one singles in the UK and US.

I always got the feeling it was skewed a little towards the "paul" songs due to how they determined inclusion but, hey, they're all good.

Posted by: Cristiano Radtke ()
Date: November 24, 2015 23:01

The mono vinyl box is being sold at Amazon Canada for about £114.00: [www.amazon.ca]

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: November 24, 2015 23:44

the beatles fully own "love me do". in order to get the publishing rights for john & paul when they were ready to release "please, please me" dick james gave back to them the rights to "love me do" as a sign of good faith.

Date: November 25, 2015 01:17

sundevil
the beatles fully own "love me do". in order to get the publishing rights for john & paul when they were ready to release "please, please me" dick james gave back to them the rights to "love me do" as a sign of good faith.

Actually not the case, as far as I am aware.
Love Me Do was initially published by Ardmore and Beechwood, the music publishing subsidary of EMI.
The copyright came up for grabs some time ago so Paulie, through his MPL publishing empire did a purchase. I think more of a sentimental thing than a big investment deal. So I assume MPL pay the Lennon estate monies due.

Its got some similarities to the Stones early days. They signed an early publishing deal with Southern music for their first 12 months or so.
Southern is now owned by Peermusic/Sons of Peer Music Ltd.

So Allen Klein didn't quite own everything!

Date: November 25, 2015 01:35

jlowe
sundevil

Actually not the case, as far as I am aware.
Love Me Do was initially published by Ardmore and Beechwood, the music publishing subsidary of EMI.
The copyright came up for grabs some time ago so Paulie, through his MPL publishing empire did a purchase. I think more of a sentimental thing than a big investment deal. So I assume MPL pay the Lennon estate monies due.

Its got some similarities to the Stones early days. They signed an early publishing deal with Southern music for their first 12 months or so.
Southern is now owned by Peermusic/Sons of Peer Music Ltd.

So Allen Klein didn't quite own everything!

Yep, the 2012 reissue has has MPL as the publishers.
[www.45cat.com]

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: November 25, 2015 03:48

well, i can be wrong. one of the music mags (MOJO/whatevs) had a story about dick james having to convince john & paul in 1963 to publish please please me and their songs with him. but beechwood does sound vaugely familiar.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 25, 2015 04:06

Cristiano Radtke
The mono vinyl box is being sold at Amazon Canada for about £114.00: [www.amazon.ca]

I hate you...but thanks.

I just bought it! I guess little Jimmy won't be getting everything on his Christmas list this year.

This was $399 Canadian last week. I've seen it go for as low as $279, but this made me pull the trigger. $229!

Date: November 25, 2015 04:10

treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke

I hate you...but thanks.

I just bought it! I guess little Jimmy won't be getting everything on his Christmas list this year.

This was $399 Canadian last week. I've seen it go for as low as $279, but this made me pull the trigger. $229!

Lol, I knew you'd buy it! >grinning smiley<

Date: November 25, 2015 04:55

Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke

I hate you...but thanks.

I know! My target price was below $250...how did you even find it?! Do you trawl the various amazon international sites (I do)?

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 05:09

Interesting all the talk about Rubber Soul. I had some friends over last weekend. After a few scotches, we compared three versions of Drive My Car. First from the 24 bit USB. Very clear. Crisp. Wonderful bass. Not much mid range. Crisp treble. Next was the Stereo vinyl, from the recent box set. Much warmer and a bit louder as well. The one was preferred from the 24 bit. Next, was the version from the Mono vinyl box set. Hands down the favorite. A more rougher sound. And even a bit slower than the USB version. But much preferred. Sounded more rocking and propulsive. Very solid bass response. Treble in the perfect ratio. Wonderful mid range. And fantastic cymbal sound!

This is a fun thing to do with fellow audiophile nerds.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 25, 2015 05:47

whitem8
Interesting all the talk about Rubber Soul. I had some friends over last weekend. After a few scotches, we compared three versions of Drive My Car. First from the 24 bit USB. Very clear. Crisp. Wonderful bass. Not much mid range. Crisp treble. Next was the Stereo vinyl, from the recent box set. Much warmer and a bit louder as well. The one was preferred from the 24 bit. Next, was the version from the Mono vinyl box set. Hands down the favorite. A more rougher sound. And even a bit slower than the USB version. But much preferred. Sounded more rocking and propulsive. Very solid bass response. Treble in the perfect ratio. Wonderful mid range. And fantastic cymbal sound!

i'm glad you shared, very interesting results!

Date: November 25, 2015 07:51

whitem8

and scotch nerds! I look forward to my mono vinyl arriving next week. I also have the Stereo vinyl, and the mono cd box...I'll be doing the side-by-side.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 25, 2015 09:31

Talking 'Drive My Car' I got it on EP vinyl mono, LP Mono and Stereo, CD first issue (very poor sounding), and rem CD box from 090909...+ outtake on Anthology 2 I presume..

Time for Beatles-nerds and a bottle of Jack D to meet up I Think...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Svartmer ()
Date: November 25, 2015 10:40

Interesting spelling of the word "looking".

Date: November 25, 2015 12:02

sundevil
well, i can be wrong. one of the music mags (MOJO/whatevs) had a story about dick james having to convince john & paul in 1963 to publish please please me and their songs with him. but beechwood does sound vaugely familiar.

Another little known fact is that whilst Penny Lane is published by ATV/Sony, the copyright is actually held by the daughter of the late Robert Holmes a Court, the Australian businessman who eventually sold out to Jacko.

Date: November 25, 2015 15:14

treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke

I hate you...but thanks.

I know! My target price was below $250...how did you even find it?! Do you trawl the various amazon international sites (I do)?

HA! No, not at all. I've received an alert via e-mail from a website.

Posted by: CaptainCorella ()
Date: November 25, 2015 22:35

jlowe
sundevil

Another little known fact is that whilst Penny Lane is published by ATV/Sony, the copyright is actually held by the daughter of the late Robert Holmes a Court, the Australian businessman who eventually sold out to Jacko.

Ah. There's a bit of a mystery here.

First off Robert Holmes a Court died without a Will (amazing for someone in his position). That always confuses the fine points of things.

Secondly the said daughter's name is not Penny as many people think!

A few years ago I was looking at a (reputable/authoratative) US site (forgotten which) that listed the copyright of some songs, and the separate ownership of this song was NOT noted.

So, knowing Janet Holmes a Court's address (the Widow, and a very well reputed lady) I wrote to her. I got a letter back in very fast order telling me that she would pass on the information to her Daughter - NOT that it was wrong. I watched the copyright site for a while and it never changed.

So, either she's (daughter) has sold it, or she's being dudded for her royalties.

The release of "1" many re-ingnite her interest in where her money is going.

Date: November 25, 2015 22:51

The release of "1" many re-ingnite her interest in where her money is going.

Not forgetting that "1" was originally issued in 2000 so she's had plenty of time to stake a claim.
[www.45worlds.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-25 22:54 by Deltics.

Date: November 26, 2015 02:11

Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke

I hate you...but thanks.

how efficient of you!

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: November 26, 2015 02:25

YEah, I am loving the Mono vinyl box set. Much better pressing than the US Stereo. I got the Canadian one as well and I believe those albums were pressed in Germany. It sounds fantastic! Very good pressing and fantastic transfer. Very deep mid range and excellent bass response. Lovely box, great job with high quality cardboard for the covers, and the book is beautiful. You'll enjoy it!

Date: November 26, 2015 05:11

treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke

I hate you...but thanks.

how efficient of you!

I just thought I needed to post that. I knew somebody from Canada would be interested. grinning smiley

Date: November 26, 2015 07:57

Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers
Cristiano Radtke

I hate you...but thanks.

how efficient of you!

I just thought I needed to post that. I knew somebody from Canada would be interested. grinning smiley

Well I appreciate it Cristiano! My wallet, not so much!

Date: November 27, 2015 07:08

...and for those of you that prefer the Stereo vinyl...$239 canadian ($180 US!)

[www.amazon.ca]

oops...or you can order it off amazon.com for $180 already!

[www.amazon.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-27 07:10 by treaclefingers.

Date: November 27, 2015 07:37

treaclefingers

[www.amazon.ca]

[www.amazon.com]

I saw this earlier today and I thought twice before posting it here. I'm glad you did it, so this way you (or your wallet) won't hate me even more. grinning smiley

Date: November 27, 2015 08:03

Cristiano Radtke
treaclefingers

[www.amazon.ca]

[www.amazon.com]

I saw this earlier today and I thought twice before posting it here. I'm glad you did it, so this way you (or your wallet) won't hate me even more. grinning smiley

Ha!

Got mine for this price already a couple of years ago!

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 29, 2015 08:32

Any word on this Ron Howard directed Beatles documentary?

According to this article dated from July, '14:

"The documentary is scheduled for a tentative late-2015 release"

Ron Howard to Direct New Beatles Doc Focusing on Band's Early Years

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6970717273747576777879...LastNext
Current Page: 74 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2340
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home