Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6869707172737475767778...LastNext
Current Page: 73 of 223
Re: Beatles vs Stones - and other Beatles stuff
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 12, 2015 02:29

Gotta agree with 'the wedge'...must have been a bit stifling.
No doubt they were in LOVE, but imagine a rough and burly construction worker bringing his wife with him everyday to the construction site.
Kind of cramps the style of his co-workers...would he even be invited to have a beer with the boys after a hard days work? Doubt it.

Posted by: Turner68 ()
Date: November 12, 2015 02:31

NICOS
What wedge grinning smiley Ringo's face tells it all

Oddly, Yoko is the person in that picture who has charted the most hits over the last 10 years.

Date: November 12, 2015 06:54

I don't recall these video's being posted yet.
An astonishing amount of detailed work went into this new project.
(fyi - the first 30 seconds of each video is an identical intro)

Restoration of The Beatles 1 Video Collection: Part 1/5

Restoration of The Beatles 1 Video Collection: Part 2/5

Restoration of The Beatles 1 Video Collection: Part 3/5

Restoration of The Beatles 1 Video Collection: Part 4/5

Restoration of The Beatles 1 Video Collection: Part 5/5

Date: November 12, 2015 08:42

50 Years Ago: The Beatles Put the Finishing Touches on ‘Rubber Soul’

By Matt Springer November 11, 2015 8:20 AM

Rubber Soul

On Nov. 11, 1965, the Beatles convened to finish recording their sixth album, Rubber Soul. Entering the studio at around 6 p.m., they realized they were a couple songs short of the 14 tracks slotted for the new record. Believe it or not, John Lennon and Paul McCartney were having trouble writing enough material for the album. So, they “tossed off” a few new songs and resurrected a cast-off from the Help! sessions.

In total, four songs received the Beatles’ attention that day. “You Won’t See Me,” a McCartney composition, kicked off the evening and was finished in two takes, followed by Lennon’s “Girl,” a sardonic ballad anchored by his heaving sigh of resignation in the chorus.

Still short one song, they turned to a track that didn’t make the cut for their previous album. “Wait” still needed a few guitar parts and backing vocals added, along with some tambourine and maracas. Finally, the group returned to “I’m Looking Through You” for a few additional overdubs. Thirteen hours after starting, the Beatles departed, and producer George Martin would mix the album for mono and stereo a few days later. On Dec. 3, Rubber Soul was in U.K. record shops.

The LP marked the first time the Beatles would focus exclusively on recording new material for such a lengthy stretch of time. Previous albums and singles had been cobbled together out of stolen session days between touring, promotional appearances and endless travel. For Rubber Soul, the Beatles spent an unprecedented four weeks in the studio, starting on Oct. 18. From this album forward, they would transition into the quintessential studio band, eliminating their grueling touring schedule and honing their craft at Abbey Road with Martin at the boards.

Not only did Rubber Soul inspire the Beatles to new heights, it also made a major impact on another studio auteur – Brian Wilson. After hearing the album, Wilson was stunned at its consistent quality. Rather than a collection of singles surrounded by filler, Rubber Soul was one of the first truly complete albums, an exceptional listening experience from start to finish, approached by the band as a single artistic unit.

That inspired Wilson to attempt his own album-length work: Released the following year, Pet Sounds raised the bar considerably higher for pop music and challenged the Beatles to push their own game on 1966’s Revolver, especially “Here, There and Everywhere,” which McCartney said was specifically inspired by the Beach Boys and Pet Sounds.

In the annals of rock music’s shots heard around the world, Rubber Soul is one of the loudest. It initiated a new phase of the Beatles’ career and heralded a golden age of ’60s artists pushing the boundaries of songwriting craft and studio wizardry.

Posted by: ash ()
Date: November 12, 2015 12:54

Rubber Soul is not aging well to my ears. The band had to cancel a couple of sessions to write some songs and there are quite a few not fab tracks on the album as well as some great ones. As is often the case, the band's ability to lift a not good tune with their excellent singing and a couple of arrangement touches saves the day.
I say this as someone who favours the Beatles enormously over the Stones.
Having said that, this was yet another very important and highly influential album by the moptops.
Worth pointing out that the Rubber Soul that so impressed Brian Wilson was almost certainly the US version.
As for the idea that this was the first Fab album that did not contain just singles and filler - With The Beatles and Beatles For Sale had no singles, A Hard Days Night was a brilliant all Lennon-McCartney composed album and Please Please Me is a far more than decent debut. Side 2 of Help might be a bit pants but most groups would be thrilled to make an album that good.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: November 12, 2015 13:25

I got my copy of The Beatles 2Bluray/CD a couple of days ago and have been blown away by the quality of both the video's AND the new surround sound mixes!

Date: November 12, 2015 15:47

Have you checked out the re-pitching issue with Please Please Me from the Ed Sullivan show ?
The out of time and tune wrong edit on the Eight Days A Week outro (so i'm told) ?
Did Giles just look at the waveform ?
I don't get it. It's like the crap out of sync Eleanor Rigby remix. How did those happen and get past the powers that be.
There are a lot of very poor needless kcuf ups by the team which is sadly what me and many other fab fans have come to expect.
I'm still listening to my Bob box but the list of screw ups continues to mount on various forums and i have to say they are not groundless whining but also deinterlace/frame rate issues.
The "hair" is still there too !
I'm also not a fan of brick walling.
The Monkees who let's face it are not as deserving as the fab 4 or Stones have Andrew Sandoval doing incredibly good work.
The Beatles have Giles Martin and Apple and The Stones have ABKCO.
I just wish Apple could get it right and it's downright careless, thoughtless tinkering that screws it up for them - assuming it's not incompetence.

Posted by: sundevil ()
Date: November 12, 2015 21:02

it's incompetence. polydor put out a james brown Icon CD. they did a great job put 10 analog tracks onto a new media format. truly sounds alive. most of these new
fabs mixes sound dead.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 17, 2015 23:28

LENNON/ MCCARTNEY SONG COPYRIGHTS SAGA SET TO RESURFACE IN 2016.

The long running saga (well, since 1969) is set to keep some lawyers busy next year.
Sony own 50% of the music publishing empire but have had a series of business setbacks of late.
The Estate of Michael Jackson, owners of the remaining 50% are now generating huge profits and would be interested in taking full ownership.
Macca will be watching from the sidelines; in spite of his vast fortune he hasn't enough dosh to bid without going in with another partner.
It seems unlikely that Yoko would be interested.

You never give me your money, etc.

Date: November 18, 2015 00:47

Makes me think of the Kinks Money-go-round song. "do they all deserve, money from a song that they've never heard"

Date: November 21, 2015 18:51

Not the most earth shattering insights, but rather typical droll Ringo style.

The Beatles 1+ DVD - Ringo's Commentary

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-21 18:54 by Hairball.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 22, 2015 05:12

jlowe
LENNON/ MCCARTNEY SONG COPYRIGHTS SAGA SET TO RESURFACE IN 2016.

The long running saga (well, since 1969) is set to keep some lawyers busy next year.
Sony own 50% of the music publishing empire but have had a series of business setbacks of late.
The Estate of Michael Jackson, owners of the remaining 50% are now generating huge profits and would be interested in taking full ownership.
Macca will be watching from the sidelines; in spite of his vast fortune he hasn't enough dosh to bid without going in with another partner.
It seems unlikely that Yoko would be interested.

You never give me your money, etc.

I wonder if Mick and Keith would consider being minority shareholders with Paul?

Date: November 22, 2015 07:12

ash
Rubber Soul is not aging well to my ears. The band had to cancel a couple of sessions to write some songs and there are quite a few not fab tracks on the album as well as some great ones. As is often the case, the band's ability to lift a not good tune with their excellent singing and a couple of arrangement touches saves the day.
I say this as someone who favours the Beatles enormously over the Stones.
Having said that, this was yet another very important and highly influential album by the moptops.
Worth pointing out that the Rubber Soul that so impressed Brian Wilson was almost certainly the US version.
As for the idea that this was the first Fab album that did not contain just singles and filler - With The Beatles and Beatles For Sale had no singles, A Hard Days Night was a brilliant all Lennon-McCartney composed album and Please Please Me is a far more than decent debut. Side 2 of Help might be a bit pants but most groups would be thrilled to make an album that good.

I still think Rubber Soul is strong, but view it as a transitional album as the band matured towards "Revolver." I would still call it a 5 star album, though. The Lennon tracks in particular show a maturity rarely seen in pop music til the Beatles came along - "Norwegian Wood", "Nowhere Man", "Girl" and "In My Life"... Wow.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: November 22, 2015 11:26

Could it be weak tracks on this album? Quite impossible!
Side one

1. "Drive My Car" McCartney with Lennon 2:25 thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up
2. "Norwegian Wood (This Bird Has Flown)"Lennon with McCartney 2:01 thumbs upx5
3. "You Won't See Me" McCartney 3:18 thumbs upx4
4. "Nowhere Man" Lennon with McCartney and Harrison 2:40 thumbs upx5
5. "Think for Yourself" (George Harrison) Harrison 2:16 thumbs upx4
6. "The Word" Lennon and McCartney with Harrison 2:41 thumbs upx4
7. "Michelle" McCartney 2:33 thumbs upx5

Side two

1. "What Goes On" (Lennon–McCartney–Richard Starkey) Starr 2:47 thumbs upx4
2. "Girl" Lennon 2:30 thumbs upx5
3. "I'm Looking Through You" McCartney 2:23 thumbs upx4
4. "In My Life" Lennon 2:24 thumbs upx5
5. "Wait" Lennon and McCartney 2:12 thumbs upx4
6. "If I Needed Someone" (Harrison) Harrison 2:20 thumbs upx5
7. "Run for Your Life" Lennon 2:18 thumbs upx5

Makes seven 5/5-tracks and the rest is 4/5...Wow! What an album...

Date: November 22, 2015 19:52

Come On
Side one

1. "Drive My Car" McCartney with Lennon 2:25 thumbs upthumbs upthumbs upthumbs up

Side two

Hahaha nice. thumbs up

I give them all a SOLID 5, they're all imbedded in my heart and soul - even Ringo's What Goes On!
Could be partially due to the fact that I was possibly brainwashed when I was a kid
by my dad and big bro who played all Beatles albums repeatedly when first released. winking smiley

Date: November 22, 2015 20:27

To me, in looking back on the songs now after maybe 10 years of not seriously listening to the Beatles, what stands out on "Rubber Soul" is how strong the Lennon tunes were - he was clearly pushing the group is a more serious, less pop direction. Worked out pretty well :-)

Posted by: Olly ()
Date: November 22, 2015 20:32

Turner68
To me, in looking back on the songs now after maybe 10 years of not seriously listening to the Beatles, what stands out on "Rubber Soul" is how strong the Lennon tunes were - he was clearly pushing the group is a more serious, less pop direction. Worked out pretty well...

Are you referring to Rubber Soul or what came after?

Olly.

Date: November 22, 2015 20:37

I revisited the entire Beatles catalogue seriously/religiously when the Mono box set was released several years ago.
Lennon will always be my favorite, but Paul was no slouch by any means - they're both genius.

And then there's George's Rubber Soul contributions - while Think For Yourself is great, If I Needed Someone has always mesmerized me and is quintessential Beatles imo.

Date: November 23, 2015 02:48

Turner68
NICOS
What wedge grinning smiley Ringo's face tells it all

Oddly, Yoko is the person in that picture who has charted the most hits over the last 10 years.

You may be right but I think Paul's have recently been pretty successful too.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: November 23, 2015 18:53

Posted by: Deltics ()
Date: November 23, 2015 23:12

Ringo is selling his copy of "The White Album" no. 0000001

"As we say in England, it can get a bit trainspottery"

Date: November 23, 2015 23:17

This is very cool of Ringo. Clearly, before he passes on, he plans on selling off the memorabilia he doesn't see passing on to his children, and donating the proceeds to charity.

Date: November 24, 2015 00:02

Place your bid HERE!

Date: November 24, 2015 00:14

He is also selling his copy of the Stones 1969 tour poster:

[www.julienslive.com]

Date: November 24, 2015 00:24

Turner68
He is also selling his copy of the Stones 1969 tour poster:

[www.julienslive.com]

Date: November 24, 2015 00:45

I wonder of Ringo will give a discount on the #1 White album due to the top right corner being slightly damaged. smiling smiley

Date: November 24, 2015 03:38

Do you think this could mean Charlie has #00001 of Plundered My Soul?

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 24, 2015 08:02

Hairball
Come On
Side one

Side two

Hahaha nice. thumbs up

I give them all a SOLID 5, they're all imbedded in my heart and soul - even Ringo's What Goes On!
Could be partially due to the fact that I was possibly brainwashed when I was a kid
by my dad and big bro who played all Beatles albums repeatedly when first released. winking smiley

Yeah, I'd say it's a pretty strong album comparitively speaking. I don't think there are any weak tracks, and 'What Goes On' has a lot of charm and sweetness to it (partly due to Ringo's vocals).

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: November 24, 2015 08:11

Turner68
To me, in looking back on the songs now after maybe 10 years of not seriously listening to the Beatles, what stands out on "Rubber Soul" is how strong the Lennon tunes were - he was clearly pushing the group is a more serious, less pop direction. Worked out pretty well :-)

True, but so was McCartney (he'd already done so with 'Yesterday' on his own). Don't forget that McCartney worked with Lennon on 'NorwegIan Wood,' 'Girl' and 'In My Life.' And George gave a hint of things to come with his sitar solo on 'Norwegian Wood.'

So I think the Beatles collectively were pushing to create more serious and complex songs. Lennon himself said of Rubber Soul album something like "eventually we took over the studio." Notice he uses the word 'we,' not 'I.'

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2015-11-24 08:12 by nightskyman.

Posted by: jlowe ()
Date: November 24, 2015 16:05

Turner68
This is very cool of Ringo. Clearly, before he passes on, he plans on selling off the memorabilia he doesn't see passing on to his children, and donating the proceeds to charity.

Bill has often said that he (partly) started his collection of Stones memorabilia as a sort of savings vehicle for Son Stephen.

As time goes on, it will decrease in value, one would imagine.
Does anyone know if he has agreed to loan out any of his stuff to Exhibitionism?
And if so, expect a cut in any profits?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...6869707172737475767778...LastNext
Current Page: 73 of 223

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1583
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home